Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Here's the longer story.

Last Thursday he appeared to of injured his leg, we think it happened well our other cat was chasing him up some strairs. We took him into the vet cause he was limping on it and she said it looked like a spot injury and gave him some pain medication to take for a few days. My cat also had congestive heart failure a few years ago and has been on a diuretic and heart medication ever since. I was trying to space out his medications so he didn't take them all at once but yesterday I forgot to give him his pain med until it was time to give him his heart meds so I gave him all 3 pills at once and like an hour later he threw up and hasn't eaten anything since then. I took him into the vet this afternoon and they did some blood work on him, everything came back normal except that there was some red flags with his liver (she thought this was likely related to the pain meds) and he was also dehydrated. They gave him a subcutaneous water injection for the dehydration and also gave me some medicine to rub on his ear to help stimulate his appetite but the idea is it's likely he had a bad reaction to the pain meds so he is done taking them.

As for how he's doing, he's got a big lump in his front leg from where the water injection happened. He's still not eating but he doesn't appear to be in pain and is just resting, I noticed a few drops coming from his mouth and figured it was from the water injection. I ended up calling my dad who is a human doctor, I know it's not the same thing obviously but he's familiar with all the drugs my cat is on and the situation and he said to just monitor it but him salivating is not from the water injection it may just be from some other stuff they gave him. He said to skip giving him his heart meds tonight because if he's dehydrated they can be hard on the kidneys and also the diuretic would work against his dehydration.

If it's still an issue in the morning I'll call the vet, for tonight just going to monitor.

Edit: He also just took one of that nastiest runniest poops I've ever seen. It's like brown mud slurry, so I think he just has a really upset stomach.

Edit edit: I just looked at the invoice from the vet and one of the things they gave him was a Cerenia injection to help with the nausea. One of the side effects is drooling, so that could also be it.

Popete fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Due to a series of convoluted events I find myself with 4 unfinished bags of cat food, all different from each other.

My cats will eat whatever, but I feel like I should mix them up so I’m not switching food on them 4 times in a short period?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Popete posted:

Edit edit: I just looked at the invoice from the vet and one of the things they gave him was a Cerenia injection to help with the nausea. One of the side effects is drooling, so that could also be it.

Yeah that does sound more correct than the water injection causing it. The water should be absorbed into the body, there's no way it would just... Leak out the mouth.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Due to a series of convoluted events I find myself with 4 unfinished bags of cat food, all different from each other.

My cats will eat whatever, but I feel like I should mix them up so I’m not switching food on them 4 times in a short period?

That's what I would do, partially because of that, partially because of laziness.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 24, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah that does more correct than the water injection causing it. The water should be absorbed into the body, there's no way it would just... Leak out the mouth.

Yeah that's what I thought, it just seemed like it was water not drool at first and I didn't know if that was somehow possible.

He's sleeping right now so hopefully he wakes up with an appetite tomorrow.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ok I won't rant about this too much longer but I'm a bit frustrated.

When I told my Dad whose a doctor what drug they gave him as a pain med he immediately said that was the wrong drug for him as it can make heart problems worse.

Looking up the drug that they gave him for his leg pain he really probably shouldn't have been taking it.

Onsior posted:

Appetite should be monitored in cats receiving ONSIOR.

Stop administration of ONSIOR if appetite decreases or if the cat becomes lethargic.

Patients at greatest risk for adverse events are those that are dehydrated, on concomitant diuretic therapy, or those with existing renal, cardiovascular, and/or hepatic dysfunction.

He basically ticks all those boxes for risk (heart disease and on diuretics) and the lethargy/decrease appetite was what he experienced.

I really like our vet, she seems very smart and I know these things can happen. Just need to be more careful and do a little research about what they are giving to him.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Twiggy has started having less zoomies and I’ve become so used to them that I worry with how much she sleeps all day. Then I hear her partying all night outside the bedroom door…

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Ball Tazeman posted:

Twiggy has started having less zoomies and I’ve become so used to them that I worry with how much she sleeps all day. Then I hear her partying all night outside the bedroom door…

What kind of monster closes the bedroom door

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

We had our female kitten neutered yesterday. She seems okay, just understandably lethargic but she has developed a limp on one of her back legs. This seems like a fairly routine side effect of abdominal surgery but should I be concerned?

She is also very good at getting stuck in her medical onesie;

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Oh no, I think my cat might still be feeling stressed or worse, she has these bald spots right above her eyes. :(

(She's sleeping on my hanten; not the best picture as its really dark in there)

I'm worried to schedule a vet appointment if she's still not fully adapted to the apartment because a trip in the cat carrier might further deteriorate things. :ohdear:

She seemed to be much friendlier recently, and gets very affectionate with the head butt thing when I pet her, but she still sticks to my closet and doesn't venture out much during the day; so I'm not sure whether to give it more time to see if it gets better or call the vet right away. :(

If we recall from the last image I uploaded a couple of weeks ago she seems to have started developing those bald spots then.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Less hair above the eyes is a cat thing, it freaked me out when I was a baby cat owner too

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Suggestions on water fountains that are super easy to clean?

I have this right now

PetSafe Drinkwell Seascape Ceramic Pet Fountain - Cat and Dog Water Dispenser, 70 oz of Fresh Filtered Water - Filter Included, Gray

I like that it doesn’t make water sounds, but it’s pretty big and heavy for one cat. I’m not sure if it’s cat spit or wet food juice splashing into it or what but the water gets a shiny film over it quickly. And it’s a full half hour process to clean it good, there’s a lot of nooks and crannies in the motor I have to clean out with a toothpick. Actual slime comes out.

Anything is going to get gross, but if I have to clean it what feels like every day I’d rather have an easier one.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you can, don’t put the water next to the food. It really helps keep the water clean, and cats do not need a drink with their meal.

My fountain is just whatever cheap Petmate one the grocery store had. Every week or so I take it apart and run it through the dishwasher, and take the pump apart and scrub it with a toothbrush. The cat gets a plain water bowl that night. The actual cleaning takes maybe 5 minutes.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

What kind of monster closes the bedroom door

We had to because every night she would scratch the underside of the bed frame for hours. Trust me, I didn’t want to. She would sleep on my shoulder so peacefully, but it took 3 hours of scratching to get there, despite playing with her for hours to wear her out.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Oh no, I think my cat might still be feeling stressed or worse, she has these bald spots right above her eyes. :(

(She's sleeping on my hanten; not the best picture as its really dark in there)

I'm worried to schedule a vet appointment if she's still not fully adapted to the apartment because a trip in the cat carrier might further deteriorate things. :ohdear:

She seemed to be much friendlier recently, and gets very affectionate with the head butt thing when I pet her, but she still sticks to my closet and doesn't venture out much during the day; so I'm not sure whether to give it more time to see if it gets better or call the vet right away. :(

If we recall from the last image I uploaded a couple of weeks ago she seems to have started developing those bald spots then.

This is normal and just more visible on black kitties, both of ours have them too!

drunken officeparty posted:

Suggestions on water fountains that are super easy to clean?

I have this right now

PetSafe Drinkwell Seascape Ceramic Pet Fountain - Cat and Dog Water Dispenser, 70 oz of Fresh Filtered Water - Filter Included, Gray

I like that it doesn’t make water sounds, but it’s pretty big and heavy for one cat. I’m not sure if it’s cat spit or wet food juice splashing into it or what but the water gets a shiny film over it quickly. And it’s a full half hour process to clean it good, there’s a lot of nooks and crannies in the motor I have to clean out with a toothpick. Actual slime comes out.

Anything is going to get gross, but if I have to clean it what feels like every day I’d rather have an easier one.

I really like our Petkit Eversweet (?) 2, the reservoir is stainless steel and you can lift it right off the base for easy cleaning. It's pricey but worth it imho.

Speaking of Petkit, I saw an indiegogo campaign for their new litter robot and it looks cool af. Less bulky than the OG litter robot and I really like their products.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yay that's reassuring! Thanks. :)

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yeah that's totally normal, just much more obvious on black cats. It's sort of a bald patch that goes from over the eye to the ear. I remember getting worried about it when I got Sam home the first time too, until I checked Max and realized she'd always had the same thing but since her skin color blends to her fur it was never noticeable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I believe that sparse area of fur is technically whiskers. Some cats will have actual whiskers over their eyes (and thus, no sparse "fur") but ones without will have that semi-bald patch.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Currently now she will jump on my bed and walk back and forth over me, sometimes she meows but stops when I'm petting her, I'm not sure if she just wants attention or food, I usually feed her before I go to sleep as she doesn't seem to be active during the day. She likes to bee line straight for my hands and while I was petting her with one hand she went and dug up my other hand from under my blankets. I feel like this is progress. :)

She still mainly likes to stay in my closet though, she hasn't yet taken to exploring yet.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

xzzy posted:

I believe that sparse area of fur is technically whiskers. Some cats will have actual whiskers over their eyes (and thus, no sparse "fur") but ones without will have that semi-bald patch.

I think all cats have actual whiskers there (except some special breeds). It's also where they have a bunch of scent glands, so I always figured there's less hair to allow for easier scenting.

While we're talking about whiskers, my orange cat has a bunch of all-black whiskers among the normal white ones, I wonder if that's common. She also has the black lip freckles that some cats have, maybe it's related.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Currently now she will jump on my bed and walk back and forth over me, sometimes she meows but stops when I'm petting her, I'm not sure if she just wants attention or food, I usually feed her before I go to sleep as she doesn't seem to be active during the day. She likes to bee line straight for my hands and while I was petting her with one hand she went and dug up my other hand from under my blankets. I feel like this is progress. :)

She still mainly likes to stay in my closet though, she hasn't yet taken to exploring yet.

That's very cute and very good progress! Now that she's more comfortable with you you could try luring her out with treats or playing to show her the world is actually nice during the day, but she'll also get there herself eventually I'm sure.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Kimchi has pretty impressive eyebrow whiskers, Katya's are over-shadowed by her majestic ear fluff. Both have the sparse fur there!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We had a void cat with no discernible eyebrow whickers, but had big old semi-bald patches.

Cat anatomy is as big a mystery as cat behavior.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Just your standard cat pattern baldness. Even Butters, her supreme fuzziness, has the patches.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Does anyone use auto feeders for their cats? We have two of the rotation based ones for dry food but are thinking about trying to get some for wet food. Obviously there are limitations with what you can do with wet food and have it not get rotten. I’ve seen some models that let you store an ice pack underneath to keep things cool/fresh but I’m skeptical about how well it works in reality. Has anyone ever used these? We would likely only use it for situations where we would be gone for 24-48 hours. We would do dry food only but these cats are lovely about drinking enough water without wet food.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

InvisibleMonkey posted:

I really like our Petkit Eversweet (?) 2, the reservoir is stainless steel and you can lift it right off the base for easy cleaning. It's pricey but worth it imho.

Hey, just was wondering which one of these you have/liked? Anyone else feel free to chime in also.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

We had a void cat with no discernible eyebrow whickers, but had big old semi-bald patches.

Cat anatomy is as big a mystery as cat behavior.

All black cats look identical. And yet when I had 2 I could tell them apart from a mile away.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

VelociBacon posted:

Hey, just was wondering which one of these you have/liked? Anyone else feel free to chime in also.

Sorry, apparently it's the Eversweet 3, this one: https://www.amazon.com/PETKIT-Stainless-Automatic-Ultra-Quiet-Auto-Shut/dp/B07X8MHYSS

It gets way less gross than our old cheap plastic fountain and it's just well designed. I do admit to only swapping the filters out every 2 months because it's so easy to clean, never noticed any ill effects but our tap water is also god-tier.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I also got the one linked above and can't recommend it enough. The whole inside being stainless steel makes it so much easier to keep clean than the old plastic one we had before. It has a detachable base that plugs into the wall so when you need to refill it you can just pick it up which is also tremendously handy.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Yes this maximizes my work productivity by -100%

I don’t have the heart to move her.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I got that same fountain with stimulus money and will add to the love. It even tells you when the filter needs to be changed! It's the quietest water pump I've ever owned.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

I got that same fountain with stimulus money and will add to the love. It even tells you when the filter needs to be changed! It's the quietest water pump I've ever owned.

Thanks, it's not really available on amazon and I can't find it locally so I'll keep trying.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I use and have been happy with these fully stainless fountains. The only plastic part is the small pump/filter housing. They don't have an auto-shutoff though so if it runs dry overnight it'll make a horrible racket and gradually destroy the pump, but pumps are cheap too. I have two and cycle them for cleaning. Cat spit and drool has etched the stainless a little bit but its not a big issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-Stainless-Fountain-Raindrop/dp/B0037NKDSG

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

OK so, this past Christmas my roommates and I had these two cats who were always hanging out together, a larger brown female tabby and a young and skinny white cat - the younger white cat was much more wild and had a notched ear, while the brown female seemed a bit more mellow and balanced. Sure enough, the brown female was microchipped and was someones barn cat in the area, while the little white guy was apparently just a semi-feral who had failed once as a barn cat and nobody wanted him back, so we got to take him home :)

We named the little guy "Mini-Scratcher", and he's become enormously attached to Jackie - and to a lesser extent me, since I'm the only human he allows to touch him. He's mellowing out and no longer seems quite so obsessed with running away the moment anyone makes a single gesture in his direction.

Anyway, the weird thing about Mini-Scratcher (to me) is just how dramatically his coloring has changed since we first adopted him about 10 months ago. It's really crazy, this is what he looked like during February/March:

And here's what his coloring has been like for the last couple months:

He's adorable either way, but I have never seen a cat get darker quite so dramatically over such a short period of time. I don't think he's any particularly special breed, but maybe I'm wrong about that. He's got very strikingly blue eyes, as you can see.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It looks like you left him in the oven a little too long

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

kaworu posted:

OK so, this past Christmas my roommates and I had these two cats who were always hanging out together, a larger brown female tabby and a young and skinny white cat - the younger white cat was much more wild and had a notched ear, while the brown female seemed a bit more mellow and balanced. Sure enough, the brown female was microchipped and was someones barn cat in the area, while the little white guy was apparently just a semi-feral who had failed once as a barn cat and nobody wanted him back, so we got to take him home :)

We named the little guy "Mini-Scratcher", and he's become enormously attached to Jackie - and to a lesser extent me, since I'm the only human he allows to touch him. He's mellowing out and no longer seems quite so obsessed with running away the moment anyone makes a single gesture in his direction.

Anyway, the weird thing about Mini-Scratcher (to me) is just how dramatically his coloring has changed since we first adopted him about 10 months ago. It's really crazy, this is what he looked like during February/March:

And here's what his coloring has been like for the last couple months:

He's adorable either way, but I have never seen a cat get darker quite so dramatically over such a short period of time. I don't think he's any particularly special breed, but maybe I'm wrong about that. He's got very strikingly blue eyes, as you can see.

Our rescue cat Bishop went through the same thing - pure white as a baby, but now he's got deep grey stripes. The darkening stripes and blue eyes means you have a lynx point - he might get even darker as he ages.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
And our other rescue, Daenerys, started out super light cream-colored with brown points. Now she's dark, dark brown and her points and face are nearly black.

The day I found her:

A few months ago in her bread e-collar:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I need a suggestion for how to make my screenless horizontally sliding windows safe for the cat. The opening is 46" tall, 23.5" wide. The frame is not magnetic and I do wonder about making magnetic screens and using tape-on magnetic strips around the perimeter of the windows, however I don't know if that would be strong enough and I don't want to gently caress around and find out in this instance.

Right now I'm leaning towards making a screen and installing it basically onto the sill just inside the window.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Kimchi was looking very brown as a kitten and turned darker as well, I guess it depends what colouring they start off with?

We didn't have Katya as a kitten (she belonged to the STREETS) so idk, they both have that smokey colouring so maybe their fur just grew out making it appear darker?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

BaronVonVaderham posted:

And our other rescue, Daenerys, started out super light cream-colored with brown points. Now she's dark, dark brown and her points and face are nearly black.

The day I found her:

A few months ago in her bread e-collar:

Same thing happened with the cat I had as a kid! I read that the fur on seal point cats grows darker due to lower body temperature in those areas- makes me wonder if kittens just run really hot, or maybe it’s because they have less fat reserves.

My neighbor’s seal point cat had to have surgery, and they shaved a big square on his side. When the hair grew back it was all the same color as his points, so he had a big black square on one side for a long time. Seal points are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Point coloration cats change with the skin temperature and kittens run warm because kitten energy. The difference in my house between winter and summer means Butters stripes and spots become more prominent through the cold and then vanish in the summer,