Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was 34 a much wetter year or something?

The dust bowl?

lol no

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/temp-and-precip/drought/historical-palmers/pdi/193001-194001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's an awesome map ty.

So why was 32 so much better? May 32 was dry as hell from the Carolinas to lake Okeechobee but holy poo poo was it dry in 34

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

In North America it's pretty easy to find 1000 year old trees so they did this

nasa posted:

Using a tree-ring-based drought record from the years 1000 to 2005 and modern records, scientists from NASA and Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory found the 1934 drought was 30 percent more severe than the runner-up drought (in 1580) and extended across 71.6 percent of western North America. For comparison, the average extent of the 2012 drought was 59.7 percent. "It was the worst by a large margin, falling pretty far outside the normal range of variability that we see in the record," said climate scientist Ben Cook at NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York. Cook is lead author of the study, which will publish in the Oct. 17 edition of Geophysical Research Letters.

Two sets of conditions led to the severity and extent of the 1934 drought. First, a high-pressure system in winter sat over the west coast of the United States and turned away wet weather – a pattern similar to that which occurred in the winter of 2013-14. Second, the spring of 1934 saw dust storms, caused by poor land management practices, suppress rainfall.

"In combination then, these two different phenomena managed to bring almost the entire nation into a drought at that time," said co-author Richard Seager, professor at the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University in New York. "The fact that it was the worst of the millennium was probably in part because of the human role."

According to the recent Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, or IPCC, climate change is likely to make droughts in North America worse, and the southwest in particular is expected to become significantly drier as are summers in the central plains. Looking back one thousand years in time is one way to get a handle on the natural variability of droughts so that scientists can tease out anthropogenic effects – such as the dust storms of 1934.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
No I meant why was the malaria so much more widespread in 34 compared to 32. It seems like it should be the other way around just based on rainfall alone.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Goes through November. Last year Hurricane Iota ran from 11/13-11/18.

Given how warm the Atlantic and Gulf have been thus far this year, we can't rule out a potential "bonus month." :smith:

Can't wait for hurricane season to be 12 months long.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yaaaay Christmas Hurricane!!!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1439622557666185217

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Holy gently caress

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
In the replies they say its an older video from a few years ago

edit: everything is a loving lie

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

even if misattributed it doesn't really decrease the impact of the footage tbh

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Maybe, but it being sold as fresh footage from right now kind of sours whatever message is trying to be sent

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Maybe, but it being sold as fresh footage from right now kind of sours whatever message is trying to be sent

It's not like fire got less dangerous since this video was shot.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Ok so I guess using footage from a different fire and sayings its from this current fire is ok because fire is hot?

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Ok so I guess using footage from a different fire and sayings its from this current fire is ok because fire is hot?

I'm saying you can get over the fact it's misdated and it won't change the importance of what is shared here.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Bronze Fonz posted:

I'm saying you can get over the fact it's misdated and it won't change the importance of what is shared here.

doesn't matter because "largest wildfire historically recorded" becomes annual and we see similar footages from 2017 on up about people drivin thru wildfires so time is a flat circle and it all looks the same to me since no action will be taken

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was 34 a much wetter year or something?

The authors of this paper believe that that is the reason, yes. 1934 was not particularly wet, but it was in comparison to the immediately preceding years.

quote:

The sharp decline in malaria mortality in the early 1930s is likely a result of the severe drought that affected much of the South during those years.

PDI has been shifted rightward by one year. It was 1934 itself that was particularly wet, resulting in a malaria surge in 1935.

The purpose of that graph in the paper is to show the the correlation was broken in the latter half of the decade, thanks to New Deal efforts. Malaria should have continued it upswing as the years got wetter, but it turned out that 1934 was the high‐water mark for the disease in the United States.

e: This 1935 report confirms that yeah, they were seeing more malaria and in areas where it had not been seen in some time.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 04:04 on Sep 21, 2021

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

No hype yet for Sam? Still way out but seems to be tracking pretty low

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

It's still too early to know if Maralago will get a cat 5, just give it a week more.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

trump's gonna collect millions in insurance whether it gets hit or not

in 2005 he made $17 million off insurance fraud at maralago

quote:

"Landscaping, roofing, walls, painting, leaks, artwork in the — you know, the great tapestries, tiles, Spanish tiles, the beach, the erosion," he said of the storm damage. "It's still not what it was."

Trump's description of extensive damage does not match those of Mar-a-Lago members and even Trump loyalists. In an interview about the estate's history, Trump's longtime former butler, Anthony Senecal, recalled no catastrophic damage. He said Hurricane Wilma, the last of a string of storms that barreled through in 2004 and 2005, flattened trees behind Mar-a-Lago, but the house itself only lost some roof tiles.

"That house has never been seriously damaged," said Senecal, discussing Mar-a-Lago's luck with hurricanes. "I was there for all of them."

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Wow. That was absolutely terrifying.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

No hype yet for Sam? Still way out but seems to be tracking pretty low
still looks like it’s unlikely to be a threat to land for awhile

even if it makes it close to the Caribbean/PR, that is 5 days from now

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Evacuate Miami.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

can't we divert these hurricanes to the places that are on fire?

like some kind of pipe or a ramp or something?

bombs maybe?

some kind of electric thing?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Can't. One half cooks, the other half drowns, then cooks. It's contractual

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sam Sam he's our man if he can't do it no one can

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh word?

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1442644488187428865

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Fuckin lol

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

And the last normal winter was in like 1978, so if you're not that old you've never actually experienced normal climate before :tif:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The anthropogenic climate is endemic now. You cannot acknowledging it or altering your behavior in any way or the liberals will sic shrinks on you.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

But I mean if it gets to bad, we won't have to experience for long!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Platystemon posted:

The anthropogenic climate is endemic now. You cannot acknowledging it or altering your behavior in any way or the liberals will sic shrinks on you.

Question what if we can't afford shrinks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

Question what if we can't afford shrinks

Loan forgiveness up to twenty thousand dollars for Pell Grant recipients who operate a business in a disadvantaged community for at least three years.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

some people are using eco friendly disposable forks

companies are dumping tons of Co2 into the air.

I've basically given up on trying to recycle much etc. it's just not worth it when we're dealing with a problem that no one wants to fix.. CARBON TAX.. COMMUNISM.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
UPDATE: Woman Accused of Starting Fawn Fire Was Attempting To Boil Bear Urine to Drink

"Souverneva had been hiking to Canada on September 22 and was seen in the Mountain Gate community in Northern California, according to a narrative written by a Cal Fire officer. She was told she couldn’t be on the property by quarry employees, but kept walking.

She then became thirsty and found a puddle of water in a dry creek bed, but the water allegedly had bear urine in it so she tried to filter the water with a tea bag, the officer said.

“She said that didn’t work so she attempted to make a fire to boil the water. She stated it was too wet for the fire to start. She said she drank the water anyway and then continued walking uphill from the creek bed,” the complaint read.

Souverneva got stuck in brush and called the fire department, the complaint read. She was evaluated for dehydration and then questioned by Cal Fire authorities when she allegedly told them she tried to light a fire. Souverneva was taken into custody."

:thunk:

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

quote:

Google Maps is getting a few new features to help people better understand our burning planet. The first is a new "fire" layer in the main map view, which will let you view the exact boundaries of a wildfire just as easily as you can look up the current traffic patterns. Google has done fire information before as part of the "crisis response" website, but with climate change making "Fire Season" a yearly occurrence in dry areas like Australia and the Western US, wildfires will now be a top-level Maps feature.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/09/google-maps-tracks-global-warming-with-new-fire-layer-tree-canopy-tool/

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
the earth is made up of the lithosphere, the hydrosphere, the atmosphere, and now, the pyrosphere.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Kilauea is erupting again

https://twitter.com/USGSVolcanoes/status/1443391528357957637?s=20

https://www.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/summit-webcams

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Rip Kailua-Kona's air quality once again. It was a nice few years while it lasted.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SirPablo posted:

Evacuate Miami.

bienvenidos a Miami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Australia has always had fires every year anyway, it's part of the ecology here and needed by some plants to reproduce (looking at you Eucalypts)
we already have apps that track fires in each state but the google one would be useful as it will be the whole country at once and show a fire that straddles state borders more clearly

here's the NSW one
https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me