Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Cemetry Gator posted:

What mix of We Got the Beat does it have? The original with double tracked vocals or the remix with keyboards.

Also, Talk Show has a song cowritten by the Mael brothers from Sparks - Yes Or No. Fantastic number.

Ah, the Jane Wiedlin connection.

Ah, a terrible snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Cemetry Gator posted:

What mix of We Got the Beat does it have? The original with double tracked vocals or the remix with keyboards.

Original with double tracked vocals. Surface noise ahoy though. I need to invest in a good cleaner.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think starting new pages with Sparks sounds like a great idea.

On that nevermind video, why the gently caress is he storing the disc out of the sleeve? I'm so confused as to why someone would do this!

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

I would much rather listen to a Sparks song than be reminded of her turn on the Surreal Life.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think starting new pages with Sparks sounds like a great idea.

On that nevermind video, why the gently caress is he storing the disc out of the sleeve? I'm so confused as to why someone would do this!

I've seen other collectors do this, particularly for rare poo poo, so I've always assumed it was paranoia over damaging the sleeve by taking the record in and out. Cause I doubt they're spinning them that often where there's no point in putting it back in the sleeve proper.

edit: I personally have done this for two records I have that have those stupid clear vinyl pouch sleeves that are a pain to get the disc in and out. Lady Gaga's Chromatica was one that came like this as did the Temples remix album I initially poo pooed but grew to like. The sort of sleeve that normally gets used on picture discs these days. Regular cardboard ones though? gently caress that.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 27, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm not so sure I'd call that "a Nazi record". Archive.org has the transcribed text from the back cover and it unequivocally condemns the Nazis and their use of music for evil. You can argue if publishing Nazi music really serves your cause but the intent behind it seems to be fairly solid, certainly in terms of 60 years ago, and it seems to represent a decent effort in trawling archives and collections.

And yeah I guess I'd buy a record "about slavery" if it had historical documents and recordings, especially in a time when records were the means of distribution, hell if someone had managed to record authentic plantation work songs and put them on a record you bet your rear end people would be buying that for historical reasons even though it both was about and originated in slavery, that's the history of blues and by extension rock music right there. What a weirdly broad comparison.

I don't think the owner is a Nazi or anything I just think from what's written there he handled the situation like a clueless dipshit. I suppose it depends on where he located it in the store because it being an academic record it should be in a section marked as such (which is basically the conclusion the reviewer came to). Like if you walked into a store and they had a copy of The Birth of a Nation on the wall. Plus you know, there's what whole thing where Nazis have just been crawling out of the woodwork for the last few years. You can't really tell anymore. It's all the context rather than the actual item.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

incoherent posted:

Your in luck, someone played all the pressings on very expensive snake oil audiophile hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl3T6xvtsI8

This guy is so irritating. Love the fact that the first copy of Nevermind that he owned was a Columbia Record Club version that he paid $50?! for. He then goes on to admit he collects MoFi records that he will never listen to.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I would be down with a tape swap, with two conditions:

1. You must make a high-quality download of the mix available. Even if you have a great deck, it’s still a tape. Besides, flexibility is a good thing.
2. Someone help me out with a great deck please

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

I would be down with a tape swap, with two conditions:

1. You must make a high-quality download of the mix available. Even if you have a great deck, it’s still a tape. Besides, flexibility is a good thing.
2. Someone help me out with a great deck please

Making it a download completely defeats the purpose. At that point you might as well just post a list of the songs and let people download it themselves.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Defeats what purpose? To limit yourself to one format? That’s not my purpose.

I can go to spotify and make a playlist of all those songs on those two tapes posted above. I’d still be thrilled as a peach to have gotten them from another person here, and would risk playing them in my car’s lovely deck. But I also want to have them in a flexible format, without having to buy the 13 CDs that the sender used to make the tape.

I made a bunch of mix tapes back in the 90s. Tapes are great physical objects, but the audio isn’t. The experience of making a tape is fun, no need to be a luddite about it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

I can go to spotify and make a playlist of all those songs on those two tapes posted above. I’d still be thrilled as a peach to have gotten them from another person here, and would risk playing them in my car’s lovely deck. But I also want to have them in a flexible format, without having to buy the 13 CDs that the sender used to make the tape.

I made a bunch of mix tapes back in the 90s. Tapes are great physical objects, but the audio isn’t. The experience of making a tape is fun, no need to be a luddite about it.

If I was going to make a mix tape for the vinyl thread it would be a bunch of old songs that aren’t easily available online. Am I supposed to go lp>cassette and then digitize it?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Reading Kathy Valentine's book I learned the original pressing of Beauty and the Beat came in a "weird peach-colored color". Was surprised to find one.

I bought that very same LP (the blue one on the right) from that very same Reckless (back when it was on Broadway though). Good poo poo.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CPL593H posted:

Making it a download completely defeats the purpose. At that point you might as well just post a list of the songs and let people download it themselves.

I get what you mean, but on the other hand, one of my favorite things about Bandcamp is getting the digital version when you buy a physical copy. :unsmith: I love my vinyl collection, but it's nice to also have the digital versions on the app for road trips, etc.

Thread, I have Googled this, but need it explained to me like I'm an idiot child: what is a Pitman pressing? These copies of David Essex's Rock On and Stealers Wheel's self-titled are both listed as "Pitman pressings". Are these worth a drat? A search tells me that these are records pressed at a certain plant, but I can't get a straight answer on whether there's a real difference audio-wise.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

Thread, I have Googled this, but need it explained to me like I'm an idiot child: what is a Pitman pressing? These copies of David Essex's Rock On and Stealers Wheel's self-titled are both listed as "Pitman pressings". Are these worth a drat? A search tells me that these are records pressed at a certain plant, but I can't get a straight answer on whether there's a real difference audio-wise.
In recent years Discogs has gone crazy with splitting original pressings into a bunch of different entries based on the pressing plants, usually only identifiable by the runout etchings. It's very common on there - especially for popular albums.

I can't comment on audio quality. That probably varies by the album. I don't believe there is any specific plant that made way better pressings or anything like that. And in my experience on discogs, the value usually isn't significantly affected by plant source, except maybe when you're talking about some legendary albums where identifying the "true" first pressing is important.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

wa27 posted:

In recent years Discogs has gone crazy with splitting original pressings into a bunch of different entries based on the pressing plants, usually only identifiable by the runout etchings. It's very common on there - especially for popular albums.

I can't comment on audio quality. That probably varies by the album. I don't believe there is any specific plant that made way better pressings or anything like that. And in my experience on discogs, the value usually isn't significantly affected by plant source, except maybe when you're talking about some legendary albums where identifying the "true" first pressing is important.

How dare you disrespect hot stampers like that

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

wa27 posted:

Yeah, I figured it was some "extreme collectors" thing (serial numbers and all that)....just wanted to make sure "Pitmans" weren't notoriously crack-ly or something. :) Thank you.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Back in the days of high run vinyl and analog mastering, different pressing plants could have different sounding vinyl, and not in the audiophile "numbers go up" manner but in the actual difference in actual mastering and overall sound - so like one pressing might have more reverb overall. There's also things like vinyl formulations, or if they pressed 7" on styrene or vinyl.

For the most part, it doesn't really matter too much, but there are a handful where it makes an actual difference.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I don't think the owner is a Nazi or anything I just think from what's written there he handled the situation like a clueless dipshit. I suppose it depends on where he located it in the store because it being an academic record it should be in a section marked as such (which is basically the conclusion the reviewer came to). Like if you walked into a store and they had a copy of The Birth of a Nation on the wall. Plus you know, there's what whole thing where Nazis have just been crawling out of the woodwork for the last few years. You can't really tell anymore. It's all the context rather than the actual item.
No doubt you can debate at length where to file items like this, whether to sell them at all, whether to question potential buyers etc. but all the righteous indignation at finding A NAZI RECORD strikes me as just plain misplaced for this one. Anything else (what kind of person is the owner, was it handled badly, does he get a lot of Nazi customers) isn't something I'd feel comfortable speculating on based on this specific account.

I don't agree that contemporary context trumps an item's original intent as a rule, either, particularly since in today's context this record (sleeve) still explicitly condemns Nazi ideology. If a Nazi comes in the store and buys it for the songs and Hitler speeches - which is, frankly, more likely to happen than that a World War 2 music scholar does, but probably always has been - they're being willfully ignorant of that key aspect of the item, but then if I come in the store and want it removed for the songs and Hitler speeches, so am I.

They're selling Mein Kampf in Germany these days, in heavily annotated editions that clearly contextualize it as propaganda and treat the original text as historic documents. Is that a bad book to sell because a Nazi might buy it for the original text? Don't ask German bookshops, they haven't found one accepted way to deal with it either. :v:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

Back in the days of high run vinyl and analog mastering, different pressing plants could have different sounding vinyl, and not in the audiophile "numbers go up" manner but in the actual difference in actual mastering and overall sound - so like one pressing might have more reverb overall. There's also things like vinyl formulations, or if they pressed 7" on styrene or vinyl.

For the most part, it doesn't really matter too much, but there are a handful where it makes an actual difference.

More than any quality issues, I always find it interesting to know which pressing plant an LP came from. A little more of the history of the thing you’re holding in your hands. I guess kind of the same as the mint letter on a coin. This object was made by real people who lived in Pitman New Jersey, or Terre Haute ID

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Yeah, the history can be pretty fascinating. There's a sense of time and place.

Recently, I got my hands on a sealed Knee Deep in the Hoopla album. There was something great about knowing it took over 36 years for someone to first hear that copy of "We Built This City." It's a fun little thing that will never be experienced again.

Soon, it will be gone.

Like tears in the rain. Time to play the mamba.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

BigFactory posted:

More than any quality issues, I always find it interesting to know which pressing plant an LP came from. A little more of the history of the thing you’re holding in your hands. I guess kind of the same as the mint letter on a coin. This object was made by real people who lived in Pitman New Jersey, or Terre Haute ID

Agreed! In this vein, I have some old radio shows on vinyl, as well as some JFK speeches, Lady Bird Johnson White House tour, etc....it's fascinating to sit and think that this used to be the main way of playing audio. You couldn't just hop on Youtube to look up some JFK speeches, you had to either go to the library or grab a vinyl record of 'em... Who used to own this Lone Ranger show record? How many times did they listen to it? Were these their favorite episodes? Are they still alive?

(Yes, being high as hell probably contributes to this. :2bong:)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

hell yea, arrived a few days early.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Going through the collection, we also now have a double disc of JFK's speeches.

After listening to part of Disco Christmas over the weekend, I feel like that may be a new holiday favorite

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

dorium posted:

hell yea, arrived a few days early.

Oh, thank you for reminding me to grab this! I hope there'll still be copies around after I get paid on Friday. :3

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Oh, thank you for reminding me to grab this! I hope there'll still be copies around after I get paid on Friday. :3

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/20340490

if there isnt looks like retail on discogs isnt too different than what I paid on the official site.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I get what you mean, but on the other hand, one of my favorite things about Bandcamp is getting the digital version when you buy a physical copy. :unsmith: I love my vinyl collection, but it's nice to also have the digital versions on the app for road trips, etc.

:yeah:

BigFactory posted:

If I was going to make a mix tape for the vinyl thread it would be a bunch of old songs that aren’t easily available online. Am I supposed to go lp>cassette and then digitize it?

I would suggest you have a digital capture in the chain when you’re making the tape, but I don’t blame someone if they don’t have a deck with a line input. I suppose you have a point.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

:yeah:

I would suggest you have a digital capture in the chain when you’re making the tape, but I don’t blame someone if they don’t have a deck with a line input. I suppose you have a point.

My tape deck is the newest part of my stereo and it’s from ‘78.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I would absolutely participate in a cassette mixtape exchange. Nice design is not the goal.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Making a mix tape is just the novelty of creating the actual item and in giving it to someone/getting it from someone. Why put all the time and effort into creating it if I can just go "These songs are cool." and post a list and how likely are people to listen to them all if I made a youtube list instead of taking the time to make the thing and then mail it out?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I only have the capacity to make mix CD's, which in the last 10 or so years has been met with laughter when I have offered someone one so I just do the mixcloud thing, which is met with confusion. If its not spotify or itunes most people can't/won't put in the extra effort of going to a new website. But as far as my digital mixes go... They are mixed (mostly) live and on the fly, and some of them songs are unavailable on streaming services. I try to create a flow. While I have made a few playlists on spotify, it isn't as fun or satisfying. What I am trying to say is I will join a mixtape exchange but it will be a CD and also available on mixcloud.

As far as the censoring records thing... The Klaudt family is kinda weird. Seems like the mom was Native American (and thus her kids as well). But yeah. Possibly offensive appropriation with how they dressed. I'm more offended by the super christian aspect lol. A few years ago I got pretty obsessed with collecting everything Exuma had put out which led me to a movie Joe because he was on the soundtrack. I also found a copy of Joe Speaks which is a lot of Peter Boyle going on racist rants. I actually ended up throwing the record away because I didn't want to sell it or donate it and have it out in the wild so some rear end in a top hat could enjoy it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Picked these two albums up at a garage sale this weekend

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift posted:

I only have the capacity to make mix CD's, which in the last 10 or so years has been met with laughter when I have offered someone one so I just do the mixcloud thing, which is met with confusion. If its not spotify or itunes most people can't/won't put in the extra effort of going to a new website. But as far as my digital mixes go... They are mixed (mostly) live and on the fly, and some of them songs are unavailable on streaming services. I try to create a flow. While I have made a few playlists on spotify, it isn't as fun or satisfying. What I am trying to say is I will join a mixtape exchange but it will be a CD and also available on mixcloud.

That's cool, I'm enjoying a couple of your mixes already. I can do cassettes but I'm not attached to the medium, that's for sure. I would prefer to make a CD myself, just make it in the style of a mix tape. Hand-made cover art maybe, however simple.

wa27 posted:

You don't find Dusty too much, that's a great find.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 28, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

sporklift posted:

As far as the censoring records thing... The Klaudt family is kinda weird. Seems like the mom was Native American (and thus her kids as well). But yeah. Possibly offensive appropriation with how they dressed. I'm more offended by the super christian aspect lol. A few years ago I got pretty obsessed with collecting everything Exuma had put out which led me to a movie Joe because he was on the soundtrack. I also found a copy of Joe Speaks which is a lot of Peter Boyle going on racist rants. I actually ended up throwing the record away because I didn't want to sell it or donate it and have it out in the wild so some rear end in a top hat could enjoy it.
I was actually trying to tie it back to the Klaudt family album but in the end it was already getting belabored enough. Joe Speaks puts an interesting spin on the arguments though. I feel like it's okay to have racist characters in fiction but publishing their juiciest racisms in collected edition removed from context is definitely questionable, and presenting them like "make your own judgment" seems... yeah, much closer to the contemporary Nazi tactics ("just inviting spirited debate") than collecting Nazi songs in a box saying "these are the songs the loving evil Nazis sang".

On a lighter note I'm enjoying the mixtape/playlist debate cause it's exactly what helped finally do in the GBS mix exchange threads :v: At least you could rip your mix CDs if you wanted to.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

CPL593H posted:

Making a mix tape is just the novelty of creating the actual item and in giving it to someone/getting it from someone. Why put all the time and effort into creating it if I can just go "These songs are cool." and post a list and how likely are people to listen to them all if I made a youtube list instead of taking the time to make the thing and then mail it out?

Because it's fun and it shows that you care? You're really overthinking this

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

If you like getting mellow (and sleazy), new Connan Mockasin just went up for pre-order, First pressing of 500 on black vinyl:
https://connanmockasin.bandcamp.com/album/jassbusters-two

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

If you like getting mellow (and sleazy), new Connan Mockasin just went up for pre-order, First pressing of 500 on black vinyl:

Anyone that wants to get mellow can turn around and get the f&*(^ out of here

-- Congressman Theodore Nugent

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

hell yeah

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I got the 6 new Sufjan records in the mail today.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

wa27 posted:

Surrealistic Pillow is a great album and under appreciated by the kids these days :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Surrealistic Pillow is a great album and under appreciated by the kids these days :hai:

As are all the old Jefferson Airplane albums. I'm vaguely curious about how they became an 80s hair band. This is the only thing I've encountered from Starship that I've liked at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efvLIZZRKZk