Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, Chronicon DLC? That game scratched the Diablo itch bigtime, I had no idea more was on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Section Z posted:

While I have not given Death Loop a try yet, I wonder considering the common overall subject.

In a repetition based game, it is still probably better for player guns kill enemies more often, than the other frequent in gaming state of "Well clearly you didn't stack enough bonuses and rare gear to DESERVE to kill trash mobs with a sniper rifle without multiple headshots!" right?

Because at that point wouldn't you be right back to "Why bother with a sniper rifle compared to running up with a shotgun" again?

Deathloop would not have benefitted from any kind of loot-treadmill gun-stats kind of thing. Everyone in the game is just a regular person and since you need to be hunted by online players, you and julianna don't have a ton of health. You die if you just stay exposed and still with lots of people shooting at you. Dealing incremental damage and tanky enemies doesn't make sense in the kind of game it is, you need to kill or don't. When you're shooting, you just need what you're clicking to go away so you can keep doing whatever, the shooting isn't what it's about. As you get better at the game, you don't sneak or crawl around as much and you also don't just gun down or hunt guards either, you start to just get around the level quickly with confidence, knowing more or less where the safe routes and spaces are or even when you can risk being caught a little as long as you keep moving steadily to wherever you're headed.

What guns you use are basically just options on how you prefer range combat to function and maybe what level of loudness you're comfortable using in the moment or in general.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ragequit posted:

Wait, Chronicon DLC? That game scratched the Diablo itch bigtime, I had no idea more was on the way.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1599010/Chronicon__Ancient_Beasts/

quote:

Ancient Beasts
Find and raise Ancient Beasts that will follow you on your adventures, staying out of combat carrying your loot and powerful new Artifact items. Through a series of quests, these beasts are grown from mere Hatchlings to Greater Beasts - significantly increasing their inventory size and number of Artifact slots.

Artifacts
A new type of item, similar to Runes, which are carried by your Ancient Beast to give you many new powers to pick from! You can have up to 6 new Artifact powers with a fully grown beast, with a pool of over 30 to pick from.

Expeditions
Go on Expeditions to new areas, fight new enemies, and unlock new passive skills! The new areas include the winter woods, ice caverns, burned forests, lava caves, enchanted lakes, mushroom forests, and more!

Large New Passive Skill Tree
Linked with your Expedition progression is 4 large passive skill trees, themed for the Expeditions themselves, which lets you trade in-game currency for a large amount of new passive skills.

Mythical Crafting
Turn any class set weapon into a Mythical quality set weapon - with increased stats, extra enchants, and two rune slots!

More Anomalies
Greater Boss Anomalies which lets you fight story act finale bosses for Mythical crafting materials. A ton of new Anomaly layouts and combinations using the new Expedition themes and areas have been added, as well as new anomaly bosses and enemies!
And much more!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

Deathloop would not have benefitted from any kind of loot-treadmill gun-stats kind of thing. Everyone in the game is just a regular person and since you need to be hunted by online players, you and julianna don't have a ton of health. You die if you just stay exposed and still with lots of people shooting at you. Dealing incremental damage and tanky enemies doesn't make sense in the kind of game it is, you need to kill or don't. When you're shooting, you just need what you're clicking to go away so you can keep doing whatever, the shooting isn't what it's about. As you get better at the game, you don't sneak or crawl around as much and you also don't just gun down or hunt guards either, you start to just get around the level quickly with confidence, knowing more or less where the safe routes and spaces are or even when you can risk being caught a little as long as you keep moving steadily to wherever you're headed.

What guns you use are basically just options on how you prefer range combat to function and maybe what level of loudness you're comfortable using in the moment or in general.
That was the impression I was getting from an outside perspective, yeah.

The comments sounding along the lines of "If I shoot a nameless enemy in the back of the head execution style, they DIE? These guns must be OP to do that." was giving me flashbacks to Cyberpunk launch reactions to working your way past the initial "Shot a man in the back of the head seven times with a handgun from stealth and he is still alive" tutorial hump.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 28, 2021

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

I love how Chronicon just straight up rips outs features from the competitors but does it all better, and on a budget too. That third screen is literally PoE's skill tree, but I bet it'll be better and let you infinitely respect it, and whenever you want too. Something Chronicon really needs to work on though is its interface, every time I play it, I feel like I have to constantly fight with the UI.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Kind of seems like every gun was OP, because most accounts of the game seem to be everyone saying X gun was just OP and they used it the whole gun, but it's usually some gun I remember trying, thinking it was lame, and never used again, like the one you mentioned. I personally stuck with machete/fartgun/heritage shotgun (and never used the spread mode, just the one-hit-kill surprisingly-quiet slug shotgun attack) the whole game. I think all the guns were good and you just use the one you think is best because it's the one that feels OP with how you specifically play. IDK seems like they did a good job with the gun design then? I assume that even if every gun was the best version of that kind of gun from any game, folks would still basically fin the one loadout that works best for them and stick with it. Unless they force you to discard guns after use or ammo runs out, seems inevitable.

and none of you have even mentioned the suppressed LIMP-10, which has completely trivialized any encounter where I don't entirely cock up for no reason or a julianna invasion auto-alerts people at a bad time. Before this I just used the nailgun for this but the SMG is even faster at trivially point-and-clicking everyone away before they can react. it's a bit disappointing how easily this solves most areas, even moreso now that I have invisibility, but I guess they couldn't make individual encounters too strenuous in a game where you'll need to do them multiple times to avoid the game becoming a slog.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

KingKapalone posted:

Don't know where to ask this, but I can get an Xbox Elite controller 2 for half off (still $90). Is it worth getting for PC if I wouldn't be using it in any FPSs?

It feels higher quality than a normal xbox controller. The buttons on the back get in the way for me, but they’re removable. The d-pad, stick and trigger depth options are pretty nice. However, mine started randomly missing and doubling some button presses after a few months, though I haven’t really tried to fix it yet.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 28, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

one last thing: Humble has put a demo of Into the Pit on their store page (rather than Steam): https://www.humblebundle.com/store/into-the-pit-demo

not sure if this is something they intend to do going forward-- especially with the Steam Next Fest this week-- but it looks like it won't really be a limited time demo (unless you consider 357,302 days a time limit).

Personally I'm having a difficult time even parsing some of the still images so this is probably not going to be my cup of tea (I'm not a huge rogueliter anyway)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 28, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Don't know where to ask this, but I can get an Xbox Elite controller 2 for half off (still $90). Is it worth getting for PC if I wouldn't be using it in any FPSs?

I have one and I’d say yeah.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Section Z posted:

That was the impression I was getting from an outside perspective, yeah.

The comments sounding along the lines of "If I shoot a nameless enemy in the back of the head execution style, they DIE? These guns must be OP to do that." was giving me flashbacks to Cyberpunk launch reactions to working your way past the initial "Shot a man in the back of the head seven times with a handgun from stealth and he is still alive" tutorial hump.

The guns in Deathloop are good and the shooting is fun. They all run from fun to really fun and I can't think of any stinkers just "well this gun is 10% better" kind of thing.
The game gives you all the tools to gently caress around and be a chaos wizard, it's just really great in that department delivering everything I've wanted from past Arkane games tbh.

With some fixes, it would really be a phenomenal game but as it is it's quite good.

People complaining about OP guns seem like they're ruining their own experience by playing in unfun ways imo.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 28, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ragequit posted:

I just want to echo this because I played entirely way too much Diablo 2 in my youth. Chronicon isn't an exact D2 substitute but it's the only other ARPG I've played (out of every ARPG ever released, basically, except for that Korean one coming out in December that's supposed to be extremely good) that actually felt fun to me. I don't know how to elucidate it any more than that, but every major ARPG has felt some kind of hollow and soulless and joyless to play, except for Diablo 2 and Chronicon.

edit: Deathloop is a game where guns kill people when you shoot them and if you think that means the guns are unbalanced you probably shouldn't go in expecting a melee-focused game like Dishonored. There are a million FPS games in existence where a bullet kills someone when it hits them so it seems like kind of a strange judgment to make

It was a pretty okay game but my non-hot-take complaints are:

It's ultimately a very linear game with one exact solution and the time loop mechanic just serves to lead you into trying different solutions for a while (that don't work) in order to eventually get enough clues to try the one real solution
It's incredibly easy - I beat it and I never saw any of the things people in this thread mentioned with enemies becoming more aware, seeing me further away, or anything like that. Literally the only difficulty increase I saw in 26 hours was enemies throwing grenades instead of glass bottles, and carrying weapons with attachments instead of plain grey-rarity weapons (which made it easier IMO since the enemies are almost entirely blind and that just meant I got to loot their better weapons)
The multiplayer has absurd queue times as an invader and is eternally laggy enough to be un-fun
It leaves tons of questions un-answered and it feels like it doesn't know what it wants to be - there aren't enough notes/audiologs/interactables to qualify it as an interactive sim, the enemy AI is too brainless to qualify it as a shooter, etc. It feels like it's built around the multiplayer which is a shame since it's only barely functional.

I had fun the entire time I was playing it but looking back I can't single out any point of it as great. It didnt meet its potential and is nowhere near as good as Prey or Mooncrash but it was good. I would be very interested in a sequel that learned from its mistakes. I don't feel the urge to start it up again and probably won't unless I hear they fix the multiplayer queue times and lag.

That being said having watched an interview with the lead designer, it's very much a game built around the concept of "Games become infinitely more fun after you've played them so much you have them memorized and you have complete mastery of the levels" (paraphrased version of their explicit sentiment) which is like a nightmare scenario to me, I hate re-playing games and having complete mastery of levels is boring to me, and that was definitely wearing on me toward the end of Deathloop.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 28, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait wait wait we're getting Fatal Frames for the PC?! Since when?!

Prolly like six months back they announced a current gen/PC release of the Wii U one with some extra stuff. Like fittingly, a photo mode!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Valve has confirmed they are not removing the option to download old builds of games.

https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-beta-suggests-you-wont-be-able-to-revert-to-old-game-builds-much-longer/

quote:

"We are actually not planning to disable downloading old builds. What we are working on is an approach on handling edge cases involving unowned content, and helping partners more easily take down builds that need to be removed for things like copyright issues," the statement reads. "We’ll have more to share on that work when it’s ready to ship."

Looks like it really might have been about those piracy methods I mentioned.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

What the hell, how is this the first time I hear about this game?

By the way, I appreciate your informative game release posts a lot, like a lot a lot, every time I end up wishlisting a few.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Dang, that screenshot is like the most perfect encapsulation of lovely PC gaming. I was just dunking on bad console UI trends, but look at this poo poo! Faux-pixel style with very big blocks, combined with eye-straining menus and massive blocks of tiny text.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Det_no posted:

Valve has confirmed they are not removing the option to download old builds of games.

https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-beta-suggests-you-wont-be-able-to-revert-to-old-game-builds-much-longer/

Looks like it really might have been about those piracy methods I mentioned.

It sounds like it also means «gently caress anyone who wants to play GTASA with the full soundtrack»

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Serephina posted:

Dang, that screenshot is like the most perfect encapsulation of lovely PC gaming. I was just dunking on bad console UI trends, but look at this poo poo! Faux-pixel style with very big blocks, combined with eye-straining menus and massive blocks of tiny text.

Do you like, ever have fun with anything? I don't mean for this to be a call out or anything but it seems like every post you have in here is about not enjoying a thing.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I treat Sraphina's negative opinions as outright recommendations to check a title out. I learned that if he has any problem with a game then it means I'll most likely love it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Those look like real pixels to me :colbert:

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Do you like, ever have fun with anything? I don't mean for this to be a call out or anything but it seems like every post you have in here is about not enjoying a thing.

When you get to a certain age, you just start yelling at the clouds. I'm getting (probably there already) to that point too, gaming is mostly poo poo now a days, died with the PS2 gen. SNES - PS1 - PS2 era was the golden age for gaming (IMO). Now it's all live service bull poo poo, constant updates, Early Access (forever) games, infinite DLC (nothings "complete"), accounts/clients for miles... All you got now are clouds, when your favorite hobbie turns to poo poo.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How's PES 2021? It's on a steep sale atm. I'm not a real life footie fan so likenesses and teams mean nothing to me, but I do find sports games relaxing. If it has a worthwhile career mode (read; not too grindy/micro-transaction-y) I will probably pick it up.

Assuming the actual footie part of the game is still good of course, though IIRC it's definitely more of a sim than Fifa.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Im_Special posted:

When you get to a certain age, you just start yelling at the clouds. I'm getting (probably there already) to that point too, gaming is mostly poo poo now a days, died with the PS2 gen. SNES - PS1 - PS2 era was the golden age for gaming (IMO). Now it's all live service bull poo poo, constant updates, Early Access (forever) games, infinite DLC (nothings "complete"), accounts/clients for miles... All you got now are clouds, when your favorite hobbie turns to poo poo.

have you tried not playing 500 games at once?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Around 2017 I might have agreed with that assessment but in the past few years there's been a resurgence of the narrative-heavy, 10-15 hour single-player experiences with not-horrible production values that I really enjoyed from early 2000s gaming. Hellblade, A Plague Tale, The Pathless, Control, Kena, Life is Strange: True Colors, all of them hitting that sweet spot between bloated AAA productions and low-budget indie junk. I play a lot of different games but those are the kind that really satisfy my soul, so I hope they can still find a way forward in the widening gap between indie and AAA.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 28, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
more good games are coming out every year with the possible exception of last year due to the helltimes. also, all the old games you are nostalgic for still exist. the only thing that is lost to time is the playerbase for some mp games and even then most of the really popular ones have private servers up somewhere.

going on about how things were better back in my day is some real old fogey poo poo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Im_Special posted:

lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Im_Special posted:

I'm a big fan of the "constant updates" being listed as a negative thing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know if Steam Input allows you to bind two separate controllers into one virtual controller? I know you can bind a controller and keyboard into the same virtual controller but I'm not sure if you can combine two separate controllers.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

kirbysuperstar posted:

Probably a consequence of the enjoying-a-thing posts usually ending up in said game's megathread. Like, I'm very quick to point out classics and good deals and such (that last humble bundle was amazing for me, like 5 games I had been eyeing for years), but it's like that principle that 99% of everything is crap, that also applies to video games and tragically I get to experience a lot of it.

This is a good thread to discuss up-and-coming games and getting recommendations, and so being critical of things is (imo) on topic. I'll cut it back if it's unwelcome.

edit:

Palpek posted:

I treat Sraphina's negative opinions as outright recommendations to check a title out. I learned that if he has any problem with a game then it means I'll most likely love it.
I am providing a service here, darnit!

Serephina fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 28, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Serephina posted:

the game owns op. and looks bebter than garbage High DEf AAA. try enjoying games sometime.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Im_Special posted:

you too

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Serephina posted:

Palpek posted:

I'm going to agree with Serephina here to some extent. I did try Chronicon sometime ago, but I just couldn't get over how unnecessarily hard it was to parse the UI. Even scaling didn't help. Most people probably won't be bothered by it, maybe. It's just something to keep in mind so you don't get surprised by it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It looks like a 90's MMO

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Serephina posted:

Probably a consequence of the enjoying-a-thing posts usually ending up in said game's megathread. Like, I'm very quick to point out classics and good deals and such (that last humble bundle was amazing for me, like 5 games I had been eyeing for years), but it's like that principle that 99% of everything is crap, that also applies to video games and tragically I get to experience a lot of it.

This is a good thread to discuss up-and-coming games and getting recommendations, and so being critical of things is (imo) on topic. I'll cut it back if it's unwelcome.

Oh no, I wouldn't say it's unwelcome, it's certainly good to be critical of things and all, it was just an observational thing I guess.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

So uh, New World (the Amazon MMO) just launched and…

556K viewers on Twitch. People are reporting extremely long login queues.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ErrEff posted:

556K viewers on Twitch. People are reporting extremely long login queues.

Servers have a cap of 1000 online players at a time (there's like 170 servers and AFAIK they don't 'mesh' like GW2 megaservers) and the queues are in the thousands for each one lmao

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, the server situation appears to be a massive trainwreck right now.

One screenshot I saw had the lowest wait time at 7 hours.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Artelier posted:

How's PES 2021? It's on a steep sale atm. I'm not a real life footie fan so likenesses and teams mean nothing to me, but I do find sports games relaxing. If it has a worthwhile career mode (read; not too grindy/micro-transaction-y) I will probably pick it up.

Assuming the actual footie part of the game is still good of course, though IIRC it's definitely more of a sim than Fifa.

It's better than FIFA and it's the last ever Pro Evo fwiw. Master League is a good mode for building up a team without any microtransaction nonsense. I haven't played 2021 but I'm pretty sure it's the same game as 2020. Which is to say it's pretty good. I expect there are patches available to get the licensed player names etc too if you go digging.

I only played it in single player so I can't speak to the online experience, which is probably pretty dodgy, knowing konami.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Unironically cool that MMOs can still get horrendously busy launches despite being a genre in decline.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
wtf is NARAKA: BLADEPOINT and when did it get so many players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Artelier posted:

For what they're asking it's worth it i think - the career mode has no grinding or microtransactions I don't think, that's all in the not-ultimate-team mode. You can easily download a patch/mod to add real teams and faces, there's a pretty big mod community (i use smoke patch as an all in one thing, but there's evoweb and other ones etc).

The actual football itself is fun enough I think - there's a free demo mode of it you can download to try it out and see if it grabs you (efootball 2021 lite)