Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
cherish what you have, even though it will soon be gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1442644488187428865?s=19

Lmao

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

lol my ex was an assistant to a tech CEO who was invited to a party on dicaprio's yacht in the adriatic sea. they flew out for it but his wife forgot the dress she wanted to wear to whatever yacht party it was so they flew a different assistant out first class from SF to italy so she could bring the dress to the wife. no way was she going to like, go to an italian boutique and buy a different expensive dress to take on the yacht

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

god damnit I am almost over 40, I missed this arbitrary cutoff

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
yeah i remember that NY article, it was p. good iirc

this might be a v. specific cultural touchstone, but i often think back to this one scene in that steve carell movie with a moon-sized asteroid about to peel the earth's crust like an onion:

steve walks in on these 5 military guys who have dug out a bunker exactly one story below grade and are stocking up all these supplies and weapons. they invite him to join them to survive. steve tries to explain that all their preparation is many orders of magnitude out of line with the approaching disaster and they just stare at him.

that's what i think about every time someone shares a plan for how an ape-sized megafauna will survive the mass extinction event of its own making

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

IAMKOREA posted:

Idea i just had: citizen science for climate change. I'm coming to terms with the end of my career as a chemical engineer working in the oil and gas industry. I quit my job because I couldn't handle helping companies produce more oil and i don't think I'm going to get another one. But what to do now?

What if you did like brown Moses, except without NED and CIA backing, and for climate change? Citizen science models of how hosed we are, how direct air carbon capture is bullshit, how renewable energy is bullshit, etc...

Of course BM is all about grift. What I am proposing will never get funding. But still it could be cool. I don't know just spit balling here. Any thoughts?

How much would this bite into my crypto mining?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the real thread asteroid movie is actually These Final Hours

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

one thing to look forward to will be the end-of-the-world raves

mag
Feb 9, 2007

fuck this

i'm out
logging into this thread and trying not to kill myself.

have we talked at all about how derrick jensen is apparently kind of a poo poo terf?
which is a bummer because beyond hope is a good article.

oh and while gybe is the right band to meet the mood, mogwai is a close contender as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgN9o5zF6Lo

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

mag posted:

logging into this thread and trying not to kill myself.

have we talked at all about how derrick jensen is apparently kind of a poo poo terf?
which is a bummer because beyond hope is a good article.

oh and while gybe is the right band to meet the mood, mogwai is a close contender as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgN9o5zF6Lo

The car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel
And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
And a dark wind blows

The government is corrupt
And we're on so many drugs
With the radio on and the curtains drawn

We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine
And the machine is bleeding to death

The sun has fallen down
And the billboards are all leering
And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles

It went like this:

The buildings toppled in on themselves
Mothers clutching babies
Picked through the rubble
And pulled out their hair

The skyline was beautiful on fire
All twisted metal stretching upwards
Everything washed in a thin orange haze

I said, "Kiss me, you're beautiful -
These are truly the last days"

You grabbed my hand
And we fell into it
Like a daydream
Or a fever

We woke up one morning and fell a little further down
For sure it's the valley of death

I open up my wallet
And it's full of lol. lmao.

mag
Feb 9, 2007

fuck this

i'm out

IAMKOREA posted:

The car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel
And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
And a dark wind blows

The government is corrupt
And we're on so many drugs
With the radio on and the curtains drawn

We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine
And the machine is bleeding to death

The sun has fallen down
And the billboards are all leering
And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles

It went like this:

The buildings toppled in on themselves
Mothers clutching babies
Picked through the rubble
And pulled out their hair

The skyline was beautiful on fire
All twisted metal stretching upwards
Everything washed in a thin orange haze

I said, "Kiss me, you're beautiful -
These are truly the last days"

You grabbed my hand
And we fell into it
Like a daydream
Or a fever

We woke up one morning and fell a little further down
For sure it's the valley of death

I open up my wallet
And it's full of lol. lmao.

G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!

edit: i hope when i inevitably wind up in some sort of tom joad-esque wandering across the dust-blasted hellscape that is california in 5-10 years, someone recites iron maiden lyrics at me with the same profundity

mag has issued a correction as of 07:41 on Sep 28, 2021

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
The godspeed poem reminded me of another poem that i actually seriously like, by Merwin. I think I posted it in the last climate change thread but I'll post it again because it's just so good.

quote:

After the Dragonflies

Dragonflies were as common as sunlight
hovering in their own days
backward forward and sideways
as though they were memory
now there are grown-ups hurrying
who never saw one
and do not know what they
are not seeing
the veins in a dragonfly’s wings
were made of light
the veins in the leaves knew them
and the flowing rivers
the dragonflies came out of the color of water
knowing their own way
when we appeared in their eyes
we were strangers
they took their light with them when they went
there will be no one to remember us

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
i dunno if biosphere collapse even says it plainly enough

thread should just be Every Living Thing on Planet Earth is Going to Die

preemptive shut the gently caress up "ah but some microbes might persist eating plastic" you loving pedant

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There's a ton of species that will outlive human civilization. It's hard to pick which ones exactly. Probably not many things bigger than a mid-sized dog on land. I expect crocodiles and other aquatic reptiles will do just fine on a much hotter planet. Once most of the humans die off there's going to be an explosion of life. That doesn't mean that things will pick up where they left off 10000 years ago or that ecosystems will look the way they did before humans starting dominating them or that there will be anywhere near the level of diversity but there will be a lot more things that aren't cows or sheep occupying the land once we're gone.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

gay_crimes posted:

god damnit I am almost over 40, I missed this arbitrary cutoff

hell yeah I’m 42 aaaand i have hypertension :smuggo:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

mag posted:

edit: i hope when i inevitably wind up in some sort of tom joad-esque wandering across the dust-blasted hellscape that is california in 5-10 years, someone recites iron maiden lyrics at me with the same profundity

Have you considered that the golden goose is on the loose and never out of season

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Or have you pondered over walking in the city, looking oh so pretty

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

We Need to Learn to Live With Imminent Extinction

Zoomers Need to Stop Focusing on Mass Deaths and Start Investing

President AOC Condemns Terrorist Group After Failed Assassination Attempt on Exxon CEO

This Weekend Only, Applebees is Donating Half of All Proceeds to Survivors of Hypercane Lazlo

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Half? Please, a conscience never costs more than 10%.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

mag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb5ojdciO1E :350:

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGgpSWcaV1U a perfect meal to help you and your loved ones in this trying time, almost as good as a nice egg

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
it's less that the planet is going to turn into Venus and more that we're going to be the lovely mud planet from Battlestar

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Does that mean I get to see someone become a suicide bomber to blow up a bunch of collaborator cops? Because that'd be neat.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Lotta boomers revealing themselves in this thread

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Covid was a lesson in how society could make some really big changes and tackle a crisis together. Now that it's over, it's a lesson in how we can fail at all of that and the crisis still goes away by itself

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
LMBO if you think the covid crisis is over.

All that needs to happen is one of the vaccine evading mutations (IIRC there are 2 identified strains) needs to become more transmissible, or one of the more transmissible variants becomes vaccine evading.

And despite all our efforts (lol) it's still spreading like wildfire in a lot of places.

EvilJoven has issued a correction as of 14:14 on Sep 28, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
You know what else is spreading like wildfire in a lot of places?

Wildfire.

lmao

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

:thejoke:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I know I fixed it to make it a more rhetorical response to the void, just like the rest of my posts.

Screaming in to the void isn't quite as cathartic as it used to be I either need to up my dose or mix it with booze.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

It's over when I say it's over.

Also I haven't heard about any wildfires lately

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Guess we finally raked the forests enough.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

If nobody is saying covid is over and then you post that, it sounds like you're being earnest. You advocate for the possibility of a post growth society so its really hard to know what you think are jokes.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

EvilJoven posted:

I know I fixed it to make it a more rhetorical response to the void, just like the rest of my posts.

Screaming in to the void isn't quite as cathartic as it used to be I either need to up my dose or mix it with booze.

:hfive:

e: If you're on actual medicines, maybe don't do that last part.

RIP Syndrome has issued a correction as of 08:39 on Sep 29, 2021

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

If nobody is saying covid is over and then you post that, it sounds like you're being earnest. You advocate for the possibility of a post growth society so its really hard to know what you think are jokes.

I guess it's a duality of man thing. But yeah, point taken.

Countries are definitely reopening, so imo the context is valid: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/16/world/covid-countries-opening-up-cmd-intl/

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Steely Dad posted:

lol my ex was an assistant to a tech CEO who was invited to a party on dicaprio's yacht in the adriatic sea. they flew out for it but his wife forgot the dress she wanted to wear to whatever yacht party it was so they flew a different assistant out first class from SF to italy so she could bring the dress to the wife. no way was she going to like, go to an italian boutique and buy a different expensive dress to take on the yacht

lol remember that stupid climate change documentary he did or whatever? i think will smith is doing something similar now too.

getting ur nature vacations sponsored by national geographic! lol

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Mr. Pool posted:

*Bernie Voice* I am once again asking if anyone wants to get into HAM radio with me. We gotta be able to lol, lmao after the internet goes down!! also if someone already knows whats up give me tips

I’m into it. Work both sides, analog/voice and digital/packet.

Low budget? Get a Xiegu G90 so you can talk to your computer. High budget? ICOM IC-705.

I’ve got a quad-band mobile transceiver that runs off solar mounted to my truck so I can park it on a mountain and talk to the rest of the valley and around the world via analog.

The Internet Radio Linking Project let’s me push-to-talk on local repeaters around the world if the satellite/internet is still up

http://irlp.net/

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Alobar posted:

ceschi was the last show i saw before the pandemic

cLOUDDEAD, Odd Nosdam, the whole anticon crew is still on heavy playback

good remix he dropped right when the pandemic was starting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRtl5X8_53w

and then when I need to get the fight back in me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGC34QsyzAQ

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Blockade posted:

Someone should post an actuarial table for civilization so I know exactly when I should stop caring about tps reports and I can coast off my savings for the rest of my life

i'm working 16 hour days since sunday and will do so until probably thurs and i'm thinking about this post a lot while i do it

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Sorry but if you are waiting to use your savings, you will cash out too late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Greta Thunberg posted:

“There is no planet B, there is no planet blah, blah blah blah, blah blah blah," she said.

"This is not about some expensive, politically correct, green act of bunny hugging or blah blah blah. Build back better, blah blah blah. Green economy, blah blah blah. Net zero by 2050, blah blah blah. Net zero by 2050, blah blah blah. Net zero, blah blah blah. Climate neutral, blah blah blah," Thunberg went on.

She said in a speech to the Youth4Climate summit in Milan, Italy, on Tuesday. “This is all we hear from our so-called leaders. Words that sound great but so far have not led to action. Our hopes and ambitions drown in their empty promises.”

:drat: