Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

I found it weird that Thor and Odin had different designs between SMTIV and IVA. Also Odin and Zeus were Flynn's friends and in his party during IV and would not attack him like they did in IVA. :mad:

I liked the QOL in IVA but the writing and direction of the story left me cold. I fell off of it, just gonna wait for V to release at this point. Maybe I'll finish IVA sometime down the line.

Odin's design pre-SMT4A was pretty lame so it's understandable they gave him a facelift when they made him a major character.
I have the feeling that the gods from other places won't go too much into what is happening there and are more there to be a representative of their pantheons since they mostly picked countries that are just famous for their ancient mythology. Though it would be nice if we get a little bit of detail on the state of the world outside Tokyo which we've basically never known outside of Strange Journey I think.

I'm increasingly worried that V won't have big involved dungeons much like IV didn't, since 90% of what we have seen so far looks like big open outdoor areas.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Have Bethesda and Atlus trade franchises for one game each: the Bethesda SMT game would suck in interesting way, but the Atlus Fallout game might be legit good.

I'd play these

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Item Getter posted:

I'm increasingly worried that V won't have big involved dungeons much like IV didn't, since 90% of what we have seen so far looks like big open outdoor areas.

*Looks at the last mainline SMT dungeon we had, YHVH's universe*

I'm not.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If there isn’t a single teleport maze the game goes right in the trash

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Anyone who likes teleport mazes is such a broken human being that I just want to get them the help they so desperately need.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There a fun way to shake up the standard hang left dungeon crawling

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Lack of spinners and teleporter mazes is why Dark Souls is a game for casuals despite it's dungeon crawler lineage.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ethiser posted:

Anyone who likes teleport mazes is such a broken human being that I just want to get them the help they so desperately need.

I cut my teeth on Phantasy Star II and I need others to share my pain

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I will never forgive Strange Journey for including a teleporter whose destination changes based on the phase of the moon.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
One dungeon with a teleport maze and sliding ice puzzles please, yes with extra poison hallways thank you

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

hatty posted:

One dungeon with a teleport maze and sliding ice puzzles please, yes with extra poison hallways thank you

Can I interest you in some invisible walls?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sure, but it comes with a collectibles or unopened treasures counter that will show you're missing a single thing somewhere in the dungeon.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 28, 2021

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Imagining someone getting super mad over a teleporter puzzle in a game that doesn't have random encounters

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nocturne's endless trolling design where it would like, show you the door you just opened through a window in front of the switch you pressed but you would need to backtrack through 5 different rooms just to get to that door lol

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Nocturne's endless trolling design where it would like, show you the door you just opened through a window in front of the switch you pressed but you would need to backtrack through 5 different rooms just to get to that door lol

They did that in DDS as well if I remember correctly.

No amount of numbered SMT games will make me happy until I get Devil Summoner 3 and Devil Survivor 3.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Item Getter posted:

Good. Dungeons are often repetitive and dull to look at, I'll take an interesting open or semi-open world to explore over boring-rear end dungeons any day.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

kirbysuperstar posted:

could i get some invisible floors

kirbysuperstar posted:

I cut my teeth on Phantasy Star II and I need others to share my pain

im not actually sure ps2 has teleporters, it just has way too many stairs

and pits. mandatory pits.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Give me a postgame super dungeon with teleporters, invisible walls, invisible floors, pit traps, damage tiles, fog rooms, spinners and whatever other sneaky mean tricks you can think of. Put them in any combination. I will play through the full thing, enjoy it and also complain about how awful it is.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

ftw

KonvexKonkav posted:

Good. Dungeons are often repetitive and dull to look at, I'll take an interesting open or semi-open world to explore over boring-rear end dungeons any day.

this, except literlally the exact opposite of what you just said lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

neongrey posted:

could i get some invisible floors

im not actually sure ps2 has teleporters, it just has way too many stairs

and pits. mandatory pits.

All the dams on Motavia are loving filled with teleporters

also stairs and pits are just teleporters in disguise

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

god

gently caress

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

kirbysuperstar posted:

god

gently caress

Why

why would you do this to me

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I really love persona 3-5, SMT4+A, Devil Survivor, was a big fan of SJ

I never actually finished smt3 and now I’m going back and playing it in HD version and

1. Wow it liked dungeons
2. Wow I maybe don’t like these dungeons as much

I really dunno what it was smt games are very often dungeon crawlers but I find a bunch of the nocturne ones very frustrating

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

kirbysuperstar posted:

god

gently caress

jesus christ you're rettaumatizing me

the reason I'm adamant on calling those stairs is because they are positionally identical between floors and the loving hintbook that came with the game just showed the maps and was like "lol good luck" and left you to pore over the tiny maps to track down which one was correct

:shepface:

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

The worst dungeon in Nocturne is the subway one with the onis, I always get way the gently caress lost and end up needing a guide

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The subway with the onis is fine if you just look at your map a lot. It even maps the invisible pitfalls once you go down them so you don't gotta worry about those

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Teleporter mazes rule. Teleporter traps, which just send toy back to the beginning, are awful

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

That is pretty forgiving but it's like my brain just can't cope and I get turned around. Oh well!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Imagine teleporters that send you to different areas based in which direction you enter them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The subway pitfalls were neat because they functioned like stairs and you could actually work out which one you needed to fall down using your map

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1442972387209670669?s=20

Atlus West will be revealing the English voice cast for SMT5 tomorrow.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I really love persona 3-5, SMT4+A, Devil Survivor, was a big fan of SJ

I never actually finished smt3 and now I’m going back and playing it in HD version and

1. Wow it liked dungeons
2. Wow I maybe don’t like these dungeons as much

I really dunno what it was smt games are very often dungeon crawlers but I find a bunch of the nocturne ones very frustrating

wrong, the dungeons are the best and its better than all the games you listed.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Most of the dungeons in Nocturne are forgettable, some are really neat, some are just annoying.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hit after hit after hit

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TurnipFritter posted:

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1442972387209670669?s=20

Atlus West will be revealing the English voice cast for SMT5 tomorrow.

Hoping for Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's return.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

We are proud to announce that Chris Pratt

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nocturnes dungeons are a hell of a lot more memorable than iv's

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Obviously Evil Prime Minister Man should be voiced by Keith Silverstein.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Gaius Marius posted:

[citation needed]

The most memorable dungeon in Nocturne is ... the Amala network maybe? Or the Diet building? The rest are all either caves that all look the same or are just generic roomless buildings.

Plus IV's soundtrack on its own makes the dungeons for it memorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gaius Marius posted:

I would agree to this only because the really really lovely ones in Nocturne are burned into my memory and the IV ones are mostly competent and sometimes pretty.