Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Oysters Autobio posted:

I'm looking at getting the A119 v3 since it seems to be the best bang for buck recommendation for a dashcam, but I'm a bit worried about weather.

It's advertised as "extreme" weather resistance, but the little pic on Amazon shows the "extreme" weather to be -10C. For those in more northern climates where it can get to -30C or even occassionally -40C, how will these cameras stand up to that kind of cold, even if they are mounted inside the car?

Do you expect your camera to record at lower than -10C?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yes, I do. Not the OP but I do anticipate driving around when it's -17C at least a few times a year.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nitrox posted:

Do you expect your camera to record at lower than -10C?

14f is probably warmer than most cars get parked outside in the winter in most of the US or Canada and I suspect most people want the camera to work before the interior warms up

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
I was worried about this too when I first got the A119(v1) as I had to park outside (winters around -20C). I always detached it from the mount and took it inside in the winter, which was an easy enough habit to remember.

It didn't seem to have any trouble recording while the car warmed and driving around after that, but the LCD didn't turn on until it warmed up iirc. Sometimes I get rolling shutter effects in the winter, but that might be vehicle specific: https://i.imgur.com/c0k3GTB.mp4

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

spacebard posted:

I was worried about this too when I first got the A119(v1) as I had to park outside (winters around -20C). I always detached it from the mount and took it inside in the winter, which was an easy enough habit to remember.

It didn't seem to have any trouble recording while the car warmed and driving around after that, but the LCD didn't turn on until it warmed up iirc. Sometimes I get rolling shutter effects in the winter, but that might be vehicle specific: https://i.imgur.com/c0k3GTB.mp4

That's trippy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/distortedvideos/status/1217486565846462464

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Boring video alert. When I got on the freeway I must have cut this guy off or at least that's his perspective. I never saw the guy. It's a poo poo situation on this onramp where traffic is going quickly but slows down very quick thereafter and it's hard to balance getting up to speed with what I clearly see ahead as slowing traffic. I'm going to pay a lot more attention on this side to see if I'm clear and safe to merge in the future.

He was very upset for about the length of this video, it's hard to see but he was constantly pointing at his mirrors and flipping his middle finger at me. At the time linked below though he moved over and was trying to goad me into passing and making some maniac flinches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLNxALwSKDY&t=279s

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
My local subreddit posted something similar but even more aggressive. The poster's side of it is that the guy behind him thought he was going too slow, and as soon as they were on the freeway he sped around him to cut him off and brake check him. I'd say there must be more to it than that but I live here too so there really doesn't :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comments/ps6ojf/classic_75_road_rage/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Finally decided to order a dashcam after seeing this one for like $36:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...96137dfac9b0b77

There are a bunch of sellers and I think mine was a chinese versions but whatever. Seems like a good option of you don't particularly care about image quality or silly features. Or just something to toss into your 5th car or whatever. Will report back with some footage once it arrives.
It arrived! I had no need to drive anywhere yet and didn't want to give up my parking spot, but I did take a few shots.

As kind of expected, it looks like oversharpened 720p but for $35 it's good enough to identify idiots on the road.

It also talks to me in Chinese but the app (which you have to register to use :fuckoff:) is in English and once set up, it just records all the time. The one button interface is really limiting though, as I can't figure out how to mark a video as protected from overwriting.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Depending on the jankiness of the camera it may not have that function, you might just need to pull the files manually before they get overwritten. Mine can save clips but I've never used it, I get at least 1.5 days of commuting around town in 1440 on a 32GB card, unless you're a long-haul trucker it probably won't be an issue.

In other news, who else likes to start their day with a little attempted vehicular manslaughter :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP9ZnoAVP4o

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I just pulled the SD card from my A129 Pro Duo and ran through all the recordings in the save folder looking for anything that was worth posting.

I found that a significant number of clips had broken video from the front camera with nothing but a static view of whatever was in front of the camera when the car was started. The audio records as normal and the rear camera file is fine, but the front camera clip is just that one frame forever. If there are multiple clips from the same drive it'll be the same static frame for all of them, as if the camera itself is crashing and just dumping the one thing forever.

I can then have another clip from later the same day that works fine.

Any ideas? I took the opportunity to update the firmware, I did not note which version I was on previously though but it's either whatever it shipped with or whatever was current when I installed it in January.

The one constant is that it only seems to happen when my car was parked outside for an extended period of time, but it doesn't seem to fit with the symptoms others report for overheating cameras.

I am using this Sandisk SD card https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P4HBRMV/ and an Aukey 30W power adapter.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

wolrah posted:

I just pulled the SD card from my A129 Pro Duo and ran through all the recordings in the save folder looking for anything that was worth posting.

I found that a significant number of clips had broken video from the front camera with nothing but a static view of whatever was in front of the camera when the car was started. The audio records as normal and the rear camera file is fine, but the front camera clip is just that one frame forever. If there are multiple clips from the same drive it'll be the same static frame for all of them, as if the camera itself is crashing and just dumping the one thing forever.

I can then have another clip from later the same day that works fine.

Any ideas? I took the opportunity to update the firmware, I did not note which version I was on previously though but it's either whatever it shipped with or whatever was current when I installed it in January.

The one constant is that it only seems to happen when my car was parked outside for an extended period of time, but it doesn't seem to fit with the symptoms others report for overheating cameras.

I am using this Sandisk SD card https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P4HBRMV/ and an Aukey 30W power adapter.

I had a similar issue with my A119, and updating the firmware fixed it. Have the symptoms changed at all, after you did that?
Mind you, when it happened to me the issue occurred every time I drove though, so I'm not sure if the issue is exactly the same as yours - since I don't have it recording while I'm parked.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Major Isoor posted:

I had a similar issue with my A119, and updating the firmware fixed it. Have the symptoms changed at all, after you did that?
Mind you, when it happened to me the issue occurred every time I drove though, so I'm not sure if the issue is exactly the same as yours - since I don't have it recording while I'm parked.
I just updated the firmware yesterday after noticing this behavior so I don't know what may or may not have changed yet. That was an ordeal in itself because the file copied incorrectly the first time and while the camera seems to be smart enough to validate before flashing it still behaves in a way that makes it h look like it's been bricked instead.

I do not have parking mode active, it's powered from a switched outlet and is only recording while the car is running The frame it gets stuck on is literally what it was looking at when powered on as far as I can tell, it's always my street or a parking lot at one of my client sites.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 7, 2021

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Did you try another SD card? I think that's the same one I'm using on my A129 Duo but it is working fine.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nocheez posted:

Did you try another SD card? I think that's the same one I'm using on my A129 Duo but it is working fine.
I have not, but as the files are coming out complete and without errors I have no reason to suspect the card.

I have managed to find this thread on the Viofo forums that fits my issue exactly https://www.viofo.com/community/index.php?threads/front-camera-freeze.27271/

That thread notes a significant point that the OSD continues to display in the broken clips over the stuck frame, and overlays itself with every update eventually becoming a mess like what used to happen when you'd drag a frozen window around in Windows 95.

This indicates that the problem is upstream of the video encoder, which is then generating and outputting to the card valid video from a bad input. We'll see how a firmware update goes.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Bummer! I bought the kit to limit voltage (to keep from draining my battery too far) and it's been working great so far.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have the hardwire kit sitting on my desk next to me right now actually, it was supposed to get installed last weekend but I injured my hand mountain biking so projects requiring any kind of dexterity are out for the time being.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
As a fellow mountain biker who has also had some injuries recently, I wish you fast healing.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not mine, but the local subreddit comes through with quality content every once in a while:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comments/q2ehmf/spotted_a_very_peculiar_driver_in_plano_on_my_way

Actually kind of feel bad about that Uturn, I did the same thing once at a gas station :shobon:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
...and still went the wrong way, fantastic

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
2 wrongs make a right, right?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

sharkytm posted:

2 wrongs make a right, right?

no that's a double-wrong, you're thinking of three lefts

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hello old thread, it's been a while.

Yesterday this happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22lyqvpgBF4

Incredibly close to being really really bad... or if you like to be an optimist, I suppose incredibly close to avoiding it altogether.

First point of contact was my left rear tire, then moved back to the LR fender. I was able to buff the black marks completely off this morning without too much trouble and can't see any sign of damage behind the fender.

Probably should buy some new trousers though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
All right do your worst, roast me for being too close or whatever. It was a strong braking effort on my part, wish I had slowed down sooner.

I slowed down a bunch, car behind me did too, then got pushed into me. No lasting damage to my truck, you can see the mark of the recovery hook I have in my tow hitch I have her bumper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsdW7tJ_5fQ

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

StormDrain posted:

All right do your worst, roast me for being too close or whatever. It was a strong braking effort on my part, wish I had slowed down sooner.

Nah, that was all on the white SUV, you were able to react and get slowed down easily in time, and the guy behind you was also.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

StormDrain posted:

I slowed down a bunch, car behind me did too, then got pushed into me. No lasting damage to my truck, you can see the mark of the recovery hook I have in my tow hitch I have her bumper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsdW7tJ_5fQ

Good thing you had a sacrificial 3rd gen legacy behind you! Those are terrible cars, the owner may not realize this, but the SUV did him a huge favor.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
:sigh:

You and the Outback (not a Legacy but same thing only wagonized) did the right thing by clearing the lanes, but Mr. :downs: just had to throw on his hazards even though I'm pretty sure he had ample energy to make it to the side.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BIG HEADLINE posted:

:sigh:

You and the Outback (not a Legacy but same thing only wagonized) did the right thing by clearing the lanes, but Mr. :downs: just had to throw on his hazards even though I'm pretty sure he had ample energy to make it to the side.

He was under 21, as I learned from spotting his vertical drivers license. I stepped up and was organizing everyone and we moved his car out of the road before long... It honestly didn't matter much since there was another collision about 1/8 mile back. That one must have been worse because an ambulance showed up for it. Our group was fine overall.

White Tahoe's passenger was napping though and woke up to a face full of airbag.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

In the 'People are strange' category, I called the lady who owned the car that ran into me yesterday to give her the good news that I had determined there was no hidden damage and I wasn't going to file a claim against her insurance. She didn't answer so I switched to text message to ask her to call me when she had the time later. I apparently failed to hang up the call though and left a long empty voice mail.

When she called me later she launched into a giant tirade about how rude I was to leave that voicemail and message while she was in some 4 hour class, before she even listened to what I had called for... wtf..

I still sent her the video in hopes that she'll use it and this incident to teach her young daughter (who was the driver) about paying more attention and double-checking before pulling across a high-speed roadway. Also to pre-empt angry person from deciding to file a claim against my insurance claiming it was somehow my fault as I'd rather not deal with that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I would not have mentioned or shared the video with her at all. I'm perhaps overly worried about litigation, better safe than sorry. Or to modernize it, I don't want to find out so I'm not fuckin around.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I would have considered filing against her insurance for the cosmetics just to run her rates up if she was going to be an rear end in a top hat like that and I had video proof that she was at fault.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Midjack posted:

I would have considered filing against her insurance for the cosmetics just to run her rates up if she was going to be an rear end in a top hat like that and I had video proof that she was at fault.

Her daughter, who was actually driving, was very polite and nice at the scene. The mother was the car owner and showed up later and is who I called. But yeah I did consider hanging up on her at that point, but was hoping that maybe the daughter would get a driving lesson out of it and avoid a worse collision in the future.

I'll be calling my insurance agent on Monday to let them know about it on the off chance that the lady decides to file something for her scuffed bumper.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you're in the US and the daughter is a minor she's almost certainly still on her parent's policy so you'd still be punching the mom in the pocketbook for being a shithead.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://i.imgur.com/kGScEPW.mp4

Roundabouts aren't that hard, America. :911:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

FBS posted:

I've learned to deal with roundabouts in Tijuana. It's hilarious how bad we (US drivers) are at them.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Locator posted:

First point of contact was my left rear tire, then moved back to the LR fender. I was able to buff the black marks completely off this morning without too much trouble and can't see any sign of damage behind the fender.

Probably should buy some new trousers though.

You should probably get your rear suspension checked out for any subtle damage, at least an alignment check and a visual inspection on the corner that was hit. Something being slightly off that you'd never notice visually can still add up to substantial additional tire wear at best and of course hidden damage could result in a wheel deciding it wants to be free at the worst possible moment.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

wolrah posted:

You should probably get your rear suspension checked out for any subtle damage, at least an alignment check and a visual inspection on the corner that was hit. Something being slightly off that you'd never notice visually can still add up to substantial additional tire wear at best and of course hidden damage could result in a wheel deciding it wants to be free at the worst possible moment.

Good idea.. I was planning to have it looked at, just need to find the time to get to the shop. Thanks.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

FBS posted:

When I took my state's written driving test I do not remember roundabouts being covered at all (granted this was 20ish years ago). I also had an extended driver's education class in high school. I again don't have any memory of roundabouts being covered. I was well into my 30's before I ever remember encountering one in real life.

Though I consider myself an expert at them now having driven through Carmel, IN many times. It is the roundabout capital of the US: https://www.autoblog.com/2021/08/21/roundabouts-reduce-crashes-injuries-carmel-indiana/

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

stevewm posted:

When I took my state's written driving test I do not remember roundabouts being covered at all (granted this was 20ish years ago). I also had an extended driver's education class in high school. I again don't have any memory of roundabouts being covered. I was well into my 30's before I ever remember encountering one in real life.
I definitely don't remember anything in driver's ed about them, and I won't swear to it, but I don't think they were addressed in any of the documents from the DMV in my state at that point either.

Despite that, I am and have been perfectly comfortable with them, because there's this monster near where I learned to drive:

There's also one near where I live now which is clearly a roundabout, except that it has stop sign at all four entrances. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

In my experience in Texas and Illinois we can handle one-lane roundabouts reasonably well, but as soon as you add a second lane it breaks our poor stupid brains.

There's a two-lane roundabout outside our local Costco that gets a lot of traffic and almost literally half the time I go through there (without turning in to the Costco) somebody violates my right of way.