Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Tim Whatley posted:

Hard agree. Players should coach themselves

Seize The Means of Instruction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
People talking about Zac's contract are weird to me because literally nothing is known about it. For all we know this is his contract year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

they need to lane kiffin nagy and just leave him on the loving tarmac.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah if Nagy isn't gone tomorrow I truly don't get it

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

You’ve got to fire Nagy but drat, who do you put in charge as interim? The guy in his first year as a defensive coordinator. Offensive Coordinator Bill Lazor of the the Chip Kelly Eagles and Adam Gase Dolphins? Tom Herman, recently fired head coach of the University of Texas?

Whoever it is will have 14 more games to ruin your first round pick.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM8PtsQl-bU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
What's the earliest a coach has been fired?

Nagy getting fired this week would be very deserved.

Edit: earliest in a season that is.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
https://twitter.com/NickOlsonNFL/status/1442267146571161602

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wilderthanmild posted:

What's the earliest a coach has been fired?

Nagy getting fired this week would be very deserved.

Edit: earliest in a season that is.

George Allen was fired after the second week of preseason in his second stint with the Rams, that's going to be hard to beat if you're counting that as in season.

Lane Kiffin and Joe Philbin were both fired 4 weeks into the season, I think that might tie for fastest actually after the season started firings?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Washington canned Jay Gruden 4 weeks in

For the most part teams would rather wait until their bye week to install the interim coach, which is probably why you don't see firings any earlier than that

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Benne posted:

Washington canned Jay Gruden 4 weeks in

For the most part teams would rather wait until their bye week to install the interim coach, which is probably why you don't see firings any earlier than that

There’s a lot of games between now and the bye for the Bears. They get a bit of reprieve next week with the Lions but then it’s Vegas, Green Bay, Tampa, San Fran and the Steelers all before the bye. Can’t see them beating any of those teams other than maybe Detroit and Pittsburgh.

Those last three all have good defensive fronts that are going to beat the poo poo out of whoever is taking snaps.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Joe Philbin

liked reading this name and thinkjing about the time when Joe Philbin.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cavauro posted:

liked reading this name and thinkjing about the time when Joe Philbin.

Lane Kiffin's firing was the most enjoyable firing to watch ever too. Second most enjoyable might have been him too at USC.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I love that Al Davis called a full press conference and used a literal projector to lay out in specific detail all the ways that Lane Kiffin sucked, and it's still not the most humiliating firing of his career.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Benne posted:

I love that Al Davis called a full press conference and used a literal projector to lay out in specific detail all the ways that Lane Kiffin sucked, and it's still not the most humiliating firing of his career.

Lane is going to be right back in another big name job in a couple of years too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Lane is going to be right back in another big name job in a couple of years too.

I think he's in about the perfect place for him now and it'll be a shame when he jumps ship.

He can be an troll/jerk on twitter and no one cares, put a scare in Bama every few years, Beat State more often than not (egg bowl is an all time rear end in a top hat coach matchup right now), be good enough to go to bowls. That's enough to keep Ole Miss happy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

I think he's in about the perfect place for him now and it'll be a shame when he jumps ship.

He can be an troll/jerk on twitter and no one cares, put a scare in Bama every few years, Beat State more often than not (egg bowl is an all time rear end in a top hat coach matchup right now), be good enough to go to bowls. That's enough to keep Ole Miss happy.

It *may* be enough to keep Ole Miss happy though I suspect like many SEC schools they’ve got delusions of grandeur that don’t match up with historical reality.

But Oxford definitely is not enough to keep Lane happy.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Lane is destined to be Alabama's Larry Coker when Saban finally retires

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Grittybeard posted:

George Allen was fired after the second week of preseason in his second stint with the Rams, that's going to be hard to beat if you're counting that as in season.

Lane Kiffin and Joe Philbin were both fired 4 weeks into the season, I think that might tie for fastest actually after the season started firings?

If you wanna go way back, the Colts fired Howard Schnellenberger three games into the 1974 season. I think there’s a few other early ones like that with some of the crazy owners in the 70s and 80s (Including the only first year coach be fired midseason, Pete McCulley for the 49ers in 1978), but in modern times coaches usually make it till the bye weeks start around week 4.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

It's too bad the McCaskeys are cheap and don't have income outside the Bears or maybe Nagy and Pace could be fired already.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Forrest on Fire posted:

It's too bad the McCaskeys are cheap and don't have income outside the Bears or maybe Nagy and Pace could be fired already.

I don't believe they can't afford it. Mark Davis cried poor while handing 100mil to Gruden then building a mansion.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I don't believe they can't afford it. Mark Davis cried poor while handing 100mil to Gruden then building a mansion.

Oh they can afford it. They'll pretend like they don't have hundreds of millions from insurance and investment groups throughout the city, and I cannot envision them being proactive about this firing. Fans needs to stop showing up and buying cable before anyone gives a poo poo up at the top.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Benne posted:

If the Jets and Giants combined teams do they have enough talent to reach .500?

Honestly? I'm not sure. Maybe

I was kind of laughing during that game since after this huge Kirk Cousins derail here he goes out there and absolutely carves them up, going 30-38 for 323 yards and 3 touchdowns. Probably one of his best games ever tbh, and against a halfway decent team.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Laugh at Rick Dennison. He throws a fit about not getting vaccinated, gets canned, and the team drastically improves under his replacement.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yesterday's game was just barely any sort of outlier for kirk cousins this season so far. he has over 20 very good games in his career as a day one starting qb going back to 2015, and 44 winning performances, the latest premium statistic exclusive to PFF subscribers, out of 83 attempts.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Darth Brooks posted:

Laugh at Rick Dennison. He throws a fit about not getting vaccinated, gets canned, and the team drastically improves under his replacement.

Wasn't he rehired?

Also, fire Pace and Nagy. I'm done making excuses until the next time I make excuses

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am genuinely concerned that matt nagy will be physically assaulted

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

no one gave a poo poo about trubisky, people here are so protective of fields that the fact that he got the poo poo beaten out of him has deranged bears fans beyond anything i've seen since cutler.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

R.D. Mangles posted:

no one gave a poo poo about trubisky, people here are so protective of fields that the fact that he got the poo poo beaten out of him has deranged bears fans beyond anything i've seen since cutler.

What??
People were all aboard the Trubs train the first couple of years. Myself included. But from his third year on he regressed hard. Not all of which was his fault.
So yeah, fans give less leeway at a certain point.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

fishing with the fam posted:

What??
People were all aboard the Trubs train the first couple of years. Myself included. But from his third year on he regressed hard. Not all of which was his fault.
So yeah, fans give less leeway at a certain point.

He got booed at a Bulls game at his first public appearance in Chicago after he got drafted.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Sataere posted:

Wasn't he rehired?

Also, fire Pace and Nagy. I'm done making excuses until the next time I make excuses

It was a Work from Home advisory position. I'd like to image they have him set up on Zoom in some small office and he spends all day shouting "Is anybody there?"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"Mitch Trubisky" is just a bad name for a franchise QB. It doesn't roll off the tongue well, got worse when he insisted on being called Mitchell, and half the fanbase just called him "Trubinsky" anyway. It was never going to work out.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Benne posted:

"Mitch Trubisky" is just a bad name for a franchise QB. It doesn't roll off the tongue well, got worse when he insisted on being called Mitchell, and half the fanbase just called him "Trubinsky" anyway. It was never going to work out.

It was a bust name. Blaine Gabbert, Blake Bortles, Sam Darnold… sometimes you just know.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You’ve got to fire Nagy but drat, who do you put in charge as interim? The guy in his first year as a defensive coordinator. Offensive Coordinator Bill Lazor of the the Chip Kelly Eagles and Adam Gase Dolphins? Tom Herman, recently fired head coach of the University of Texas?

Whoever it is will have 14 more games to ruin your first round pick.

honestly, lazor or herman would be preferable to nagy just copy-pasting the andy playbook for fields and wondering why the offense can’t generate yards for poo poo

at least herman has a proven track record of success with mobile qbs; using fields like sam ehlinger or greg ward is gonna be a lot better for his development than pretending his legs are two boat anchors

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Declan MacManus posted:

honestly, lazor or herman would be preferable to nagy just copy-pasting the andy playbook for fields and wondering why the offense can’t generate yards for poo poo

at least herman has a proven track record of success with mobile qbs; using fields like sam ehlinger or greg ward is gonna be a lot better for his development than pretending his legs are two boat anchors

Nagy sucks and should have been fired the second he was lining up 7 kickers in preseason to make field goals from exactly 43 yards because we knew he was crazy at that point. Maybe I'm missing something here but this particular argument is odd to me though since most of Andy's successful quarterbacks as a head coach have been been pretty mobile. Like if he was successfully just copying everything he'd be a good bet, but he's not doing it right.

I don't think the right idea here is to go QB run heavy with Fields in the end I guess. He's pretty good at it but he isn't special good at it, which you need to be in the NFL. It's a tool to break out now and then, but you need to get some other poo poo ironed out first. Which, again, Nagy is probably not the guy to do but no...you do not want Tom Herman coaching your team and kissing your players on the cheek.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I think it would still be unlikely, but after giving Miles Sanders just two carries and potentially being 1-7, Nick Sirianni being one-and-done is a possibility.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sirianni never seemed like a serious hire in the first place. There was zero excitement the moment the announcement was made -- the biggest impression I got from the reactions was "confusion". It looked like the Eagles hadn't thought through what happens after "Fire Pederson" and made a panic hire.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sirianni never seemed like a serious hire in the first place. There was zero excitement the moment the announcement was made -- the biggest impression I got from the reactions was "confusion". It looked like the Eagles hadn't thought through what happens after "Fire Pederson" and made a panic hire.

Hey the last time they hired someone from the Andy Reid coaching tree they got a SB-winning coach! This guy could be the next Doug Pederson!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Grittybeard posted:

Nagy sucks and should have been fired the second he was lining up 7 kickers in preseason to make field goals from exactly 43 yards because we knew he was crazy at that point. Maybe I'm missing something here but this particular argument is odd to me though since most of Andy's successful quarterbacks as a head coach have been been pretty mobile. Like if he was successfully just copying everything he'd be a good bet, but he's not doing it right.

I don't think the right idea here is to go QB run heavy with Fields in the end I guess. He's pretty good at it but he isn't special good at it, which you need to be in the NFL. It's a tool to break out now and then, but you need to get some other poo poo ironed out first. Which, again, Nagy is probably not the guy to do but no...you do not want Tom Herman coaching your team and kissing your players on the cheek.

by “copying and pasting the andy playbook” i meant the andy dalton playbook. he had a week to toss in new concepts to utilize fields’ legs and athleticism and instead just ran the same stuff he was running with dalton behind center. what makes it even more puzzling is that nagy ran some stuff in preseason with fields that actually DID make use of his particular skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

i am genuinely concerned that matt nagy will be physically assaulted

He's definitely at the "stop going to Menards yourself" stage of late Bears coaching gig.

I still think Pace is worse but Nagy hasn't shown you player development, scheme adaptability, anything