Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1442749903675998208?s=19

Read this and involuntarily shuddered lol.

From Galaxy Brain to Galaxy Britain

For "Britain will... launch a rocket into orbit next year" read "Britain will... create tax incentives for Lockheed Martin to relocate existing launches to a proposed site in Shetland".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Communist Thoughts posted:

LOL I did work with the people doing this stuff, at the end an old dude took us aside and admitted it wasn't going to happen and was just a vanity project for an MP

this is a relief tbh

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
The Big Rocket episode of the old Men from the Ministry radio show:

(Audio only)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXjl_oiEr30

The civil servants bungle in Britain's space race with a mix-up over Mildred (the departmental secretary). Stars Wilfrid Hyde-White. From November 1962.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Trickjaw posted:

Me first. They probably won't have the fuel, though.

Frantically lashing oxygen and hydrogen tanks to the side of my car and piping them into the tank.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rustybear posted:

For "Britain will... launch a rocket into orbit next year" read "Britain will... create tax incentives for Lockheed Martin to relocate existing launches to a proposed site in Shetland".

Note that the only things it makes sense to launch from the Drizzle Archipelago - given the high latitude and very limited range of trajectories you can launch along without risking dropping space junk on Dusseldorf or making nuclear-armed nations very jumpy - are surveillance satellites, and while there are good reasons you'd want a couple of satellites looking down at the poles the vast majority of them will actually be looking down at Poles (and other nationalities) for rather less benign reasons.

Even the tiny amount of space launches we've actually done have been from Australia despite the expense of shipping stuff to literally the other side of the planet because of the pointlessness of launching from here. Wait... we're going to ask the Chagos Islanders to take yet another one for the team, aren't we?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Its unlikely to be military satellites it's mostly earth observation satellites in polar orbits used for legit scientific and commercial interests like monitoring flooding and crop yields and leaf greening and whatnot

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1442723805558882305

Not content with turning the fish gay, we're now turning the eels into ravers.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
eels are good, eels are good

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

Lol nicking this

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Who the hell is Ilsa Goode

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ShredsYouSay posted:

Where are they even going to launch the rockets from?

The N.I./Scotland tunnel is in fact an elaborately disguised launch tube that will elevate vertically to launch our great vessel into the stars! :perfect:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/bresh671/status/1442609932268933123
This feels a little too on the nose, even by 2021 standards.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dabir posted:

Who the hell is Ilsa Goode

The protagonist of the female reboot of The Adventures of Ebenezer

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rustybear posted:

Its unlikely to be military satellites it's mostly earth observation satellites in polar orbits used for legit scientific and commercial interests like monitoring flooding and crop yields and leaf greening and whatnot

An actual polar orbit is pretty useless for earth science - you still have all the hassle and expense of having no momentum assist from the earth's rotation, plus all the extra EM and radiation shielding you need for something passing over the magnetic poles, but for no advantage in terms of coverage compared to a normal high-inclination orbit.

*In theory* the British Isles are at a pretty good latitude for high-inclination orbits - except the trajectory of a rocket launched into one of those orbits would be straight over continental Europe, and while things are at a pretty low ebb with them right now, wait until we start dropping used boosters onto them.

Pole-crossing orbits - i.e. the only ones we can launch into without everyone in Bavaria having to buy very strong umbrellas - are useful for actually looking at the poles (which like I say has valid scientific purposes but we don't need *that* many of them) or for military surveillance satellites that need to change planes quickly and cheaply.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

An actual Good Post from Julio Cruz, truly these are the End Times.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

An actual Good Post from Julio Cruz, truly these are the End Times.

it had to happen eventually

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Attach rockets to the borders of England and launch it into space, simple as. Thass the brexit i fackin voted fowah.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lol shes getting roasted and i love it

https://twitter.com/cymrurouge/status/1442754860903018498?s=20
https://twitter.com/b11ckchps/status/1442753845784977409?s=20

Failed Imagineer posted:

look we're willing to let you do whatever you want within the confines of terf island but i think the international community needs to step in to prevent the spread

Apraxin posted:

garbage. bet they were joking about it the whole time

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

military surveillance satellites that need to change planes quickly and cheaply.
:hmmyes:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Apraxin posted:

Are they going to make a Tower Raven pie next?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Failed Imagineer posted:

We already did this years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miPCcpzRaPE

I imagine the Johnson V will turn out with equal success.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Apraxin posted:

Animals Of Farthing Wood takes an even darker turn.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/morganholleb/status/1442795858916003842

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Random question of the kind that people in this thread often know the answer to. Do rental car places typically have their own petrol supply on site?

I'm meant to pick up a hire car on Friday and will be absolutely stuffed if I get off the train at Newcastle and then get told "soz guv no petrol" (in a Geordie accent)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Apraxin posted:

How many hours did I spend playing CK2 and trying to catch that loving thing, and a bunch of Scouse coppers shoot it in five minutes. :argh:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

peanut- posted:

Random question of the kind that people in this thread often know the answer to. Do rental car places typically have their own petrol supply on site?

I'm meant to pick up a hire car on Friday and will be absolutely stuffed if I get off the train at Newcastle and then get told "soz guv no petrol" (in a Geordie accent)

I'd be surprised. They always get you to refill the tank before you return it. Can't see that it would make sense for them to invest in the infrastructure necessary to have their own supplies.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Once again analogue is vastly superior to digital.

Actually given the only economic activity on this septic isle is hipsters selling stupid poo poo to each other, I demand we have an ironic retro space programme. Film-based spy satellites, communications satellites that are just big tinfoil balloons we try and bounce radio waves off, retroactively changing the mission of Beagle 2 to say "No actually we meant to crash into the planet".

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

peanut- posted:

it should be full when you pick it up, since you're meant to return it with a full tank

if it's not, make sure to take a picture of the gauge before you leave the site, and make sure that one of their people acknowledges it as such, otherwise you'll be on the hook for topping up the tank for the previous customer

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Going to start the "Labour Friends of Conservatives" to push back at the quite frankly evil comments that Rayner used the other day.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/Politics_co_uk/status/1442859514496118789?s=20

Some good news.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ShredsYouSay posted:

Where are they even going to launch the rockets from?

Submarines :v:

Boris is going to nuke the moon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The rocket launches are going to have the same trajectory as starmer's relaunches. In that the BFWAU is going to blow them up.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

An actual polar orbit is pretty useless for earth science - you still have all the hassle and expense of having no momentum assist from the earth's rotation, plus all the extra EM and radiation shielding you need for something passing over the magnetic poles, but for no advantage in terms of coverage compared to a normal high-inclination orbit.
We could use a few more satellites with high latitude visibility - communications around the poles sucks at the moment because of lack of coverage. The only reliable comms you have is Iridium and that has something like a 2kbps bandwidth and 2 second latency. AFAIK the only organisations putting high-bandwidth satellites into those orbits just now (or at least ones we're allowed to use) are Musk's and Bezos' satellite vanity projects. Polar science is only getting more important just now since that's where climate change is causing things to happen fastest and most dramatically, and while people want to have drones and gliders (aerial and water both) there for monitoring you currently don't have a reliable way to control them in real time or retrieve the huge amounts of data they capture without sending a ship up there with them.

I don't think that's what the hypothetical Great British Rocket is intended for, of course.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This has been quite the conference.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

goddamnedtwisto posted:

*In theory* the British Isles are at a pretty good latitude for high-inclination orbits - except the trajectory of a rocket launched into one of those orbits would be straight over continental Europe, and while things are at a pretty low ebb with them right now, wait until we start dropping used boosters onto them.

Pole-crossing orbits - i.e. the only ones we can launch into without everyone in Bavaria having to buy very strong umbrellas - are useful for actually looking at the poles (which like I say has valid scientific purposes but we don't need *that* many of them) or for military surveillance satellites that need to change planes quickly and cheaply.

Nobody who uses the term polar orbit colloquially means 'pole-crossing orbit' they mean high-inclination orbit or in the most basic terms passing north-south instead of east-west.

More traditional EO work is done from sun-synchronous orbits to reduce the interference from the Sun or at least keep it consistent but a lot is done from polar orbits too.

The idea here is there's a lot of development towards small/cube sats which would fly low and fast and use a polar orbit to scan one entire segment of the globe and then repeat for the next segment as the earth rotates. At low altitudes you expect the craft to degrade quickly anyway for a host of reasons and the trade off is that's it cheap and cheerful becasue the payload is <1000kg. You'd in theory launch north over the north Atlantic/Greenland to setup a north->south pass.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

big scary monsters posted:

I don't think that's what the hypothetical Great British Rocket is intended for, of course.

The Great British Rocket is for putting a loud speaker in the sky that just shouts that you're antisemitic if you suppport redistribution of wealth on the hour every hour. No idea how it works but somehow it does, just like the rest of the antisemitic smear campaign.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Great British Rocket is actually the new patriotic TV show by the BBC to follow on from the documentary about gary glitter where del boy plays gary glitter and it's a show where contestants have to build rockets to get them to different parts of the world while simon cowlell has a face like a smacked arse and the series finale is when they have to start world war 3.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Commercially the idea is you bundle up a ton of these small sats into a single launch becasue the cost of lifting 1kg into LEO orbit hasn't progressed that rapidly since the 1960s but the miniaturization of space-qualified hardware has progressed massively.

Instead of getting the cost per kilo down you get the capability per kilo up which opens up a ton of use cases that previously couldn't overcome the initial expense of putting a double decker bus into space.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He could combine two problems into one and build a bridge to northern ireland that is also a giant rail gun for firing poo poo into space and/or the faroe islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rustybear posted:

the initial expense of putting a double decker bus into space.
Do not give Johnson ideas.