Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I "dropped" my brand new bike just the other day when I parked on some apparently uneven dirt and it rolled and folded the stand as I was just starting to grab the bars. It suddenly became heavier than I expected sooner than I expected and resulted in a slow, embarrassing battle against gravity as I awkwardly set it on its side while collapsing next to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I almsot dropped my bike at a gas station recently, the ground has a massive groove from wear and apparently I didn't have my stand down properly. Barely managed to catch it and pull it back up.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

Have you ever seen a Ducati? Cause I've got some news about the difficulty of stand retraction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j26NYooG7lk

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

With a Ducati you have the double worry of the stand retracting or the stand literally snapping off a hole in your engine case

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

With a Ducati you have the double worry of the stand retracting or the stand literally snapping off a hole in your engine case

On some models the stand bolts naturally work loose from the vibration and strip out when they take the bike's weight. The stripped threads will be in the engine case, naturally.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Apropos of nothing, but can I just say how I loving love having a bike that is easy to work on?

I was dreading doing a valve check but at this rate I’m really excited to do it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Martytoof posted:

Apropos of nothing, but can I just say how I loving love having a bike that is easy to work on?

I was dreading doing a valve check but at this rate I’m really excited to do it.

thumper.txt

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Quickshifter-rr installation at lunchtime

Standard slowshifter

On the bike. Pretty straightforward. Only annoying thing was getting the bottom lock nut tight.

It was easy to initialise in the bike's settings, though I haven't road tested it yet. Looking forward to trying it out later.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It works! Downshifts are particularly cool.

Also there was a lovely sunset.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I just did mine today! It's nice doing it on a new bike where the crank cover isn't seized in place and you have to find TDC by rolling it back and forth in gear

I hope if I ever have to make a warranty claim they don't accuse me of falsifying service records because the 500 mile break in valve check was at exactly 500 miles

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Cool that it basically has mid-2000s GSRX1000 gauges

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And what appears to be an 80's xr150 engine I think.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

And what appears to be an 80's xr150 engine I think.

I think the whole thing is a mishmash of different cloned parts. The engine is supposed to be an upscaled clone of the cg125 engine with an added balance shaft.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

Cool that it basically has mid-2000s GSRX1000 gauges

Analogue tacho and digital speedo/MFD is objectively the best gauge layout.

Actually the very best gauge layout was on the supercharged pre-war Bugattis. The supercharger meant that it was possible to destroy the engine just on the throttle (and reliable rev limiters were still like 30 years away) but you needed to take the engine all the way to the point of destroying itself to get maximum power. However the rev counters were also unreliable so it had two independent counters, one driven from the crankshaft, one from the flywheel, and you took whichever was reading highest. A true masterpiece of :italy: engineering.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

knox_harrington posted:

It works! Downshifts are particularly cool.

Also there was a lovely sunset.

:hellyeah:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Analogue tacho and digital speedo/MFD is objectively the best gauge layout.

Actually the very best gauge layout was on the supercharged pre-war Bugattis. The supercharger meant that it was possible to destroy the engine just on the throttle (and reliable rev limiters were still like 30 years away) but you needed to take the engine all the way to the point of destroying itself to get maximum power. However the rev counters were also unreliable so it had two independent counters, one driven from the crankshaft, one from the flywheel, and you took whichever was reading highest. A true masterpiece of :italy: engineering.

I hope they did this with two needles on a single dial for maximum weirdness

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

I hope they did this with two needles on a single dial for maximum weirdness

Unfortunately not, but there was another pre-war car (can't remember what it was) at the old Donington GP Collection that similarly had two rev counters but they were integrated into a single dial - not the way you're probably thinking though, they were on opposite sides of a circle (so one went up clockwise, the other anti-clockwise).

I'm trying to find the video from an old documentary they had running over the Bugatti showing it actually running because the rev counters were *hilarious*, basically jumping around pretty much at random like something out of a cartoon.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Surely after a short time you'd just learn what the engine sounds like at various speeds and ignore the tachometers.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Surely after a short time you'd just learn what the engine sounds like at various speeds and ignore the tachometers.

Probably not, modern race cars and bikes still have shift lights because not many people can tell the difference by ear between 8,000 rpm peak power and 8,200 rpm cylinders exit through the sump, especially with wind noise, gearbox whine, and all the other random noises a car makes.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
And with all the sound deadening insulation they wrap cars in, too. Don’t they pipe .MP3 tracks of exhaust notes into new Mustangs and some BMWs?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A ton of cars do it. I have a current gen accord that does it lol

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Made a new fairing stay/mount:

It's a combination of the old headlight mount, reworked using the mirror "antennae" cut from a CBR900rr stay. Not quite done, but it is so much better than the PO's solution.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Geared up for a ride, went out to statt 'er up, and just cranked with no catch. Took the battery out and threw it on the tender for an hour. Got it started and headed out because I wanted to fill up. Nope! Out of gas and died 3 blocks later. So now I'm getting on my mountain bike and riding to the nearest station with my old jerry can lol.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last time I posted in this thread I was concerned about the new front tire on my CL350 being mounted crooked, because there was a noticeable radial wobble that turned into a vibration at speed, and I had just finished truing the wheels up to better than 0.020" radially and laterally so I knew it couldn't be that.

Well today I let all the air out of the tire and examined it, and turns out the guy who mounted them at the shop just pinched the loving tube. Both sides of it were jammed between the bead and the seat next to the valve stem, pushing the tire outwards about 3/16" at that spot. I pried the tube back between the beads and knocked the tire into place with a mallet, and it looks and runs fine now.

I've got some friends who say "why don't you just take your cars and motorcycles to a shop like a normal person instead of working on them all the time" and I'm like this is why, right here. Ughhhhhhhh

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The little detent holding my clutch ignition safety on the DRZ's clutch perch is snapped and the thing was just loosely hanging in there so I ended up removing it a few weeks ago. Fast forward to this morning when I fired it up, while the front wheel was chocked, to test my throttle cable response and forgot I'd left it in gear from some sprocket work I'd done yesterday. Nearly launched the front end, chock and all through the thin plastic back wall of my shed :cool:

Remind me not to do anything on the bike at 7am before coffee.

I mean, alternately, to always crank the bike holding the clutch OR to always return it back to neutral, or any number of things I could have done differently in this situation.

But hey, at least I remembered to turn off the petcock :clint:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I don't recall if I was taught this way or just did it by default and now it's habit, but I never ever crank a bike over without the clutch in.

Petcock on (for carbs) > Key on > Clutch in > kill switch to run > hit the starter button

Hands down it was the first thing that threw me for a loop about riding a bike with a DCT. Not "oh hey, I'm not changing gears with my foot" but "oh hey, there's no clutch to pull before I start the bike"

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Went out to do one job and promptly came back in with a different one: my chain guard has lost 2 out of 3 bolts and is just flapping around on the last one, and has been doing so long enough to wear a big fat hole through the paint on the swingarm :cripes:

I have plenty of bolts of the right diameter lying around but they're all too long, and I'm all out of grinding discs. I have a hacksaw but fuuuuuuuck that, bike can just rest up until I can get some new discs in and cut those bolts down the easy way

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

I don't recall if I was taught this way or just did it by default and now it's habit, but I never ever crank a bike over without the clutch in.

Petcock on (for carbs) > Key on > Clutch in > kill switch to run > hit the starter button
Yeah my training class taught the KNIFE mnemonic:
Kickstand (up)
Neutral (change into)
Ignition (on)
Fuel (on)
Engine (start)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Hands down it was the first thing that threw me for a loop about riding a bike with a DCT. Not "oh hey, I'm not changing gears with my foot" but "oh hey, there's no clutch to pull before I start the bike"

Did you own a Suzuki for any length of time? That's what did it to me.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Do other bikes not have a clutch safety switch?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Do other bikes not have a clutch safety switch?

Sure, they're just tied into the side stand and neutral interlocks so you only need to pull the clutch when it's in gear or whatever.

Suzuki are far too lazy for this so they just make you pull the clutch every time.

See also: Honda 50cc's have a sophisticated timing retard system to limit them to 50km/h even when going down a hill. Suzuki have a red light on the dash to inform you you're exceeding 50.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lol if you haven’t disabled your Suzuki’s clutch safety switch.

Why no I haven’t hit the starter and rammed into a gas station bollard in the last month, why do you ask?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For sure I was taught to pull in the clutch when cranking but I think every bike I owned to this point would let me start it without clutch as long as I’m in neutral so I guess I just wasn’t prepared for the fact that this isn’t always the case :haw:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

:hmmyes: my first bike was a GS500

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Jazzzzz posted:

:hmmyes: my first bike was a GS500

Same here, but I don't think mine lived long enough to infect me, I feel pretty normal starting my Yamaha now.

someday I'll buy another Suzuki though and it will finish me off

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I thought that the Ninja 250 also required me to do this. Recently learned I could just hit the starter button as normal.

SO... how do you disable the switch. Mine is really annoying, especially since it seems to be aging and I have to work its little plunger before it will do anything every time I go to start it. Do you just jump the two wires together?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

My new china bike has a switch on the clutch but it doesn't do anything? One of the electrical repair tutorials points out a plug tucked in with all of the turn signal connectors that you can short if you want the neutral light to come on when you pull the clutch for reasons??

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

I thought that the Ninja 250 also required me to do this. Recently learned I could just hit the starter button as normal.

SO... how do you disable the switch. Mine is really annoying, especially since it seems to be aging and I have to work its little plunger before it will do anything every time I go to start it. Do you just jump the two wires together?

Yup.

Dog Case posted:

My new china bike has a switch on the clutch but it doesn't do anything? One of the electrical repair tutorials points out a plug tucked in with all of the turn signal connectors that you can short if you want the neutral light to come on when you pull the clutch for reasons??

It'll do something if you try starting with the stand down (maybe, it's Chinese) or the bike not in neutral. On normal, non-Suzuki bikes the clutch switch is on the same circuit as the side stand and neutral switches and that's probably what you're referring to.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I finally got my poo poo together and got the plate for the oldwing replaced. The DMV "get in line" online thing is a bit lame. I signed up when I left home and my number came up before I got there and lost my place. So I re-entered the online line, then got in line for the "check your papers" station, which worked out fine. It's probably more useful at a busier office. I've had to wait 4-6 hours at the San Jose office previously, being able to stay home until you're #10 in line would be killer. As it was, in Los Gatos, I was #8 the moment I entered. But the service was unavailable at my local SJ office so who knows.

Next project: sell it. I'm done with the year 1982. I want some flavor of XV1900 now, be it a Raider, Roadliner or Stratoliner. I don't dig big windshields so Stratoliner is last on the list. Or a Vulcan VN2000. However everyone selling such things seems to live 200+ miles away, usually in places where the whole town might burn down between now and Thanksgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lmao my dudes let me tell you about my fun day with the DRZ’s swingarm pivot shaft.

Motherfucker was CEMENTED in place with rust or grime or something. Nothing I tried could get it to budge. I went to home depot and got a huge length of threaded rod, a ton of washers and two large coupler nuts. I made a makeshift puller by threading a coupler to one end of the rod, setting it against the blunt end of the threaded side of the shaft, then I threw a big gently caress-off shallow socket on the other side of the frame and threaded the other coupler on with the rest of the washers.

I started to crank down on the socket side coupler and thought I was making progress when KABLAM — the threaded rod exploded in the middle. Just amazing.

I finally just got so frustrated I took a sledgehammer, picked a choice curse word and hit the coupler that was still poking out the other side and THONK — motherfucker started to budge.

Long story short I spent $20 at home depot when all I had to do was yell and hit things real hard.

Anyway, I got the filthy swingarm out and I’ll clean it tomorrow, along with the shock bottom and the back of the engine/frame. It looks like someone took a big greasy poo poo back there.

I’m going to see if the swingarm bearings are OK. If it’s apart I might as well buy a replacement set if they’re bad, but I’m not really sure how to tell other than “if it feels crunchy it’s bad”??

Going to swap sprockets, replace the swingarm chain guide plastic/rubber/whatevers, replace the chain rollers since they look like they’ve had a rough life. Not much else planned for the underside right now but I’m glad to see how easy it was to pull everything apart other than the loving pivot bolt, which I hope is less cemented in going forward.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 6, 2021