Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah it's a minimum 45 days. If it had bombed maybe it would be up quicker, but now that it's a success they're going to take a month of making some FOMO money and launch it on a 'special' day.

yeah, and they also never announced exactly what would happen after 45 days, afaik. there was some shoddy reporting claiming that Disney confirmed it would go straight to Disney+ after 45 days in theaters, but I don't think they were ever actually that specific

right now, Encanto is the only one of their upcoming theatrical releases that they've confirmed will go to Disney+ at no additional charge to subscribers after a certain number of days (30 in that case). the rest are TBD beyond the initial 45-day theatrical window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. I've heard the reason why is that they sell more tickets if people think they can get the seat they want instead of seeing it is already grabbed. I have no idea if it is true or not.

Woop: missed this. No. It's not true at all. Ticket sales were capped at 5% below capacity. This whole myth came about because a bumfuck clan family of 30 would show up 10 minutes after the movie started and raise poo poo about not being able to sit together (A common thing) and they'd start yapping and gawwing about selling more tickets than there were seats and it spread around. No there were plenty of seats, ya'll just can't sit together. So loving sad, show up on time in the future. No I'm not going to ask people to move so you can sit together. Life sucks.

EDIT: For new releases this poo poo would happen like 5 times a night.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s not what he’s saying. He’s saying that seeing a grid of some seats unavailable makes some people less likely to buy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There are spoilers for the Venom after-credits out. So be careful if you're trying to avoid it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Codependent Poster posted:

There are spoilers for the Venom after-credits out. So be careful if you're trying to avoid it.

All I see is people talking about rumors and click-bait articles.

But if it turns out to be real, then I'm really kinda bummed.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

All I see is people talking about rumors and click-bait articles.

It's apparently been verified as real. We'll find out for sure on Thursday night, but seems legit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There were screening previews tonight.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

I haven't seen the leaks but I'm guessing purely from this reaction that it's (speculation but I'll put it in spoiler tags) Knull?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TwoPair posted:

I haven't seen the leaks but I'm guessing purely from this reaction that it's (speculation but I'll put it in spoiler tags) Knull?

real legit post credits spoilers in this line here don't look if you don't want to know

some kind of reality shift happens and JJJ shows up on Eddie's TV with the Spider-Man and Mysterio broadcast from the end of Far From Home

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Huh. I don't know quite how I feel about that. It sure is... something that's for sure

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Everything we’ve heard or seen about Multiverse of Madness, Morbius, and now Venom 2 really feels like Sony desperately exploiting the MCU connection to finally make every incredibly stupid Spidey idea they’ve ever had a reality.

I can’t wait for Holland-Peter to talk about running a Tough Mudder while Aunt May becomes a secret SHIELD agent.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 28, 2021

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think we should all embrace the chaos, it’s probably the perfect series to pull it off.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Everything we’ve heard or seen about Multiverse of Madness, Morbius, and now Venom 2 really feels like Sony desperately exploiting the MCU connection to finally make every incredibly stupid Spidey idea they’ve ever had a reality.

I can’t wait for Holland-Peter to talk about running a Tough Mudder while Aunt May becomes a secret SHIELD agent.

I moved your spoiler tags around a bit since context clues make it a little too obvious what you're talking about behind the grey bars.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I hope we find out that Feige didn't know about this

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

No! NO! Bad Sony! Stop it! *Whacks Sony with a rolled up newspaper*

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I'll take crazy desperate Sony over neutered Disney/marvel any day. They're still the only ones to get Spider-Man right, it was just largely hated because of nerd politics.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bushisms.txt posted:

I'll take crazy desperate Sony over neutered Disney/marvel any day. They're still the only ones to get Spider-Man right, it was just largely hated because of nerd politics.

I agree, Into The Spider-Verse was great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh my mind immediately turned to the idea that Jared leto now has a chance of being in the MCU, and shuddered

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If they want to go that route they should have Topher Grace pop in and recruit him into a Venomverse thing.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

site posted:

tbh my mind immediately turned to the idea that Jared leto now has a chance of being in the MCU, and shuddered

Oh no, please no. don't let that happen :negative:

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

bushisms.txt posted:

Dawgstar posted:

I agree, Into The Spider-Verse was great.

And the Raimi films, at least the first two, were and still are really well regarded.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Are we pretending Holland's Spider-Man doesn't exist or something?

Because everyone loves him.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, presumably this line of discussion started because the original poster has a different opinion. I disagree with it (Raimi's films are largely good-to-great but the take on Peter himself is a little too consistently sadsack for me), but whatever.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Arist posted:

I mean, presumably this line of discussion started because the original poster has a different opinion. I disagree with it (Raimi's films are largely good-to-great but the take on Peter himself is a little too consistently sadsack for me), but whatever.

That poster likes the Garfield Spiderman.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's not as if different opinions about the Spider-Mans and their movies are anything new ITT

Fangz posted:

That poster likes the Garfield Spiderman.
And they're right :colbert:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I haven't gotten around to Amazing Spider-Man 2, but I thought the first one was fine. The Spider-Man half was solid, but the Peter Parker stuff was basically all the Peter Parker bits from the first Raimi movie, slightly readjusted? I remember leaving the theatre being like "I saw half that movie already" but I thought it certainly had some promise. While I'm glad things have turned out the way they have for the MCU, I do think it's a shame that Sony smothered that franchise before it really got a chance to shine with an ill-advised attempt at a cinematic universe.

Part of me still wishes it limped a long a bit longer and we got the Aunt May movie though. That sounded loving dumb.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

catlord posted:

Part of me still wishes it limped a long a bit longer and we got the Aunt May movie though. That sounded loving dumb.

Sorry, the what?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've posted this before but ASM2 turns Peter into a sociopath constantly actively disregarding the stated wishes of the people closest to him. He stalks Gwen and it's treated as cute.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Sorry, the what?

Oh, you sweet summer child

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

I've posted this before but ASM2 turns Peter into a sociopath constantly actively disregarding the stated wishes of the people closest to him. He stalks Gwen and it's treated as cute.

Oh, you sweet summer child

I will say that the Garfield Spider-Man lost me when he stole a dude's all-important internship and he sees him getting literally dragged out of the building later on claiming he is supposed to be there and just shrugs it off. That's technically pre-Spider-Man but it isn't like his attitude ever changes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Garfield Spidey is a big annoying creep and I hope he takes a skeleton pumpkin bomb to the face in MoM.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I will say that the Garfield Spider-Man lost me when he stole a dude's all-important internship and he sees him getting literally dragged out of the building later on claiming he is supposed to be there and just shrugs it off. That's technically pre-Spider-Man but it isn't like his attitude ever changes.

Yeah, that's the thing, those elements could have been interesting had you actually shown him transcend them. The idea of Peter being an edgelord rear end in a top hat who through his experiences actually learns to be a better person would at least be interesting and different. But the idea of a cohesive character arc almost certainly got gobbled up in all the studio interference so he just kind of remains an rear end in a top hat throughout.

The films even bend over backwards to remove culpability for both Ben's and Gwen's death from Peter which removes literally the entire point if those deaths. Gwen's death is specifically framed as her fault for not listening to her boyfriend, who repeatedly tells her to stay away. Any progressivism of her saying "this is my choice" is massively undermined if that choice directly leads her to bring fridged.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Garfield Spidey is a big annoying creep and I hope he takes a skeleton pumpkin bomb to the face in MoM.

On the other hand, he actually IS the menace JJJ claims he is!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I thought Ben's death was fine. He dies actually putting the core philosophy of the character into practice.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It's more the framing of Peter's reaction than the death itself.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Arist posted:

Pretty much, raimi Spider-Man is just Peter before the bite. The one time he's peter for the comics it's played as a joke with evil symbiote Peter.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Calm down, JJJ, he's on your side.

Karloff posted:

Yeah, that's the thing, those elements could have been interesting had you actually shown him transcend them. The idea of Peter being an edgelord rear end in a top hat who through his experiences actually learns to be a better person would at least be interesting and different. But the idea of a cohesive character arc almost certainly got gobbled up in all the studio interference so he just kind of remains an rear end in a top hat throughout.

The films even bend over backwards to remove culpability for both Ben's and Gwen's death from Peter which removes literally the entire point if those deaths. Gwen's death is specifically framed as her fault for not listening to her boyfriend, who repeatedly tells her to stay away.
This is a super dishonest read, the movie specifically frames Harry as the reason she dies. We can talk about fridging but it's a literal point in Spider-Man lore so I don't know what you're trying to discuss.

I found that most discussion about how "bad" the ASM franchise is to be mostly metatextual about the creation of the movies. Everything comes from the whole slight against raimi that was a huge thing online at the time. You're even here trying to say ASM did something wrong when Raimi removed Peter's culpability in the worst way. ASM Peter learns being a powerful jerk means nothing if you have no purpose, Raimi Peter learns punching solves everything and the bad guys will turn belly up if you do it enough.

VVVVVV

It's hilarious to me that Raimi even made the thief sympathetic, the man can't help himself

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 29, 2021

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Arist posted:

I thought Ben's death was fine. He dies actually putting the core philosophy of the character into practice.

I mean, in theory he was but in practice he really, really wasn't.

The actual series of events in ASM is super loving weird:

1) Counter clerk is a huge dick* to Peter.
2) The next customer tricks the clerk into looking away and yoinks the register when his back is turned.
3) The clerk rushes out into the street and demands random passers-by to tackle this dude.
4) Peter, who is pretty far away and not really in a position to stop the thief anyway, flips him the bird.
5) the entirely non-violent thief trips and a gun, which he never used to rob anyone, falls out of his pocket.
6) he tries to pick up his gun.
7) Uncle Ben needlessly escalates the situation and hurls himself onto a bullet trying to wrestle a gun away from a, to this point, entirely peaceful burglar

It's all so loving weird. They could have achieved the same results in a much less convoluted and more sympathetic manner by just having the thief be a little more menacing, but they bent over backward to make the thief harmless, Peter blameless, and Uncle Ben weirdly aggro.

*ASM Spider-man's true origin story is mastering his white hot rage and not immediately murdering anyone when the counter clerk tells him "You can leave a penny but you can't take a penny!"

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 29, 2021

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

bushisms.txt posted:

This is a super dishonest read, the movie specifically frames Harry as the reason she dies. We can talk about fridging but it's a literal point in Spider-Man lore so I don't know what you're trying to discuss.

When the original Gwen Stacy death storyline was published the concept of fridging wasn't a thing. Main characters in comic books rarely died and the heroes girlfriend certainly didn't. That's what made that story shocking and for better or worse, ground-breaking. The term itself wouldn't be coined until 1999 and by that time the heroes lady friend getting hurt or killed to motivate the male hero was a common and somewhat ill-advised trope with messy and sexist connotations. So the original storyline and ASM 2 were released in very different contexts. ASM 2 was released at a time when that trope was so common as to be worthy of parody, The Dark Knight, ostensibly one of the most successful comic book films, had came out six years previous and featured the trope so ASM 2 using it was not shocking or original in that regard,

That said, it was still a big part of Spider-Man lore. But why does that mean it's immune to criticism? "Well, they did it in the comics" is such a weak defence of a storytelling decision if that storytelling decision isn't justified within the actual story that is being told. Furthermore the contexts of both deaths are very different. The death of Gwen in the comics is framed as partially Peter's fault. At the time Norman Osborn had lost his memory of the Goblin, and Peter was hoping this incredibly dangerous person would not regain his memory due in part to his relationship with Harry. Of course Norman did regain his memory and he went straight for Peter's apartment but instead of finding Peter he found Gwen. Adding salt into the wound, there was the oft debated matter that Peter himself may have killed Gwen while catching her. There are multiple decisions there which Peter made that led to her death. By contrast in ASM 2, Peter does everything in his power to keep Gwen away including webbing her to a car. But Gwen arrives anyway, and says "This is my choice". A line that I suspect is meant to be empowering but is so undermined because that choice directly leads to her death. The actual death is different, Peter doesn't catch her incorrectly, he catches her too late so her head smacks the floor. Again, a minor difference, but it has a different meaning.

Obviously, in both cases the person most to blame is the Goblin, be it Harry or Norman. Just like the person most to blame for Ben's death is the burglar. But the comics frame Peter's decisions as being flawed, whereas the film makes it Gwen's decisions. Does that mean the makers of ASM 2 were aiming to make some sort of MRA screed about how women shouldn't be trusted to make their own decisions? No. Just like the stalking in the film I think it's because of the ultimately messy writing which doesn't take much care over what the film is actually saying and dramatically misjudges how much the mess of poorly motivated characters with no aim for any thematic clarity can create unintended messages.

bushisms.txt posted:

I found that most discussion about how "bad" the ASM franchise is to be mostly metatextual about the creation of the movies. Everything comes from the whole slight against raimi that was a huge thing online at the time. You're even here trying to say ASM did something wrong when Raimi removed Peter's culpability in the worst way. ASM Peter learns being a powerful jerk means nothing if you have no purpose, Raimi Peter learns punching solves everything and the bad guys will turn belly up if you do it enough.

I mean all the posts here are criticising the film's directly. I just wrote this post talking about the storytelling decisions in the film. I mentioned studio interference, but that is well publicised from interviews from Garfield to James Horner that these films were heavily meddled with. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by Raimi removed Peter's culpability. In what way?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Raimi changed it so Sandman (eventually shown to be accidentally) kills Ben, not the guy Peter fails to stop.

His lack of great responsibility doesn't matter.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's not a lot of people who love Spiderman 3, but I don't really see that as inherently problematic, given that it's kind of part of an arc in that movie of Peter potentially losing his way. Striking at his original purpose to become a hero is a way of doing that. The irresponsible use of power stuff is illustrated by Brock and Venom.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Karloff posted:

When the original Gwen Stacy death storyline was published the concept of fridging wasn't a thing. Main characters in comic books rarely died and the heroes girlfriend certainly didn't. That's what made that story shocking and for better or worse, ground-breaking. The term itself wouldn't be coined until 1999 and by that time the heroes lady friend getting hurt or killed to motivate the male hero was a common and somewhat ill-advised trope with messy and sexist connotations. So the original storyline and ASM 2 were released in very different contexts. ASM 2 was released at a time when that trope was so common as to be worthy of parody, The Dark Knight, ostensibly one of the most successful comic book films, had came out six years previous and featured the trope so ASM 2 using it was not shocking or original in that regard,

That said, it was still a big part of Spider-Man lore. But why does that mean it's immune to criticism? "Well, they did it in the comics" is such a weak defence of a storytelling decision if that storytelling decision isn't justified within the actual story that is being told. Furthermore the contexts of both deaths are very different. The death of Gwen in the comics is framed as partially Peter's fault. At the time Norman Osborn had lost his memory of the Goblin, and Peter was hoping this incredibly dangerous person would not regain his memory due in part to his relationship with Harry. Of course Norman did regain his memory and he went straight for Peter's apartment but instead of finding Peter he found Gwen. Adding salt into the wound, there was the oft debated matter that Peter himself may have killed Gwen while catching her. There are multiple decisions there which Peter made that led to her death. By contrast in ASM 2, Peter does everything in his power to keep Gwen away including webbing her to a car. But Gwen arrives anyway, and says "This is my choice". A line that I suspect is meant to be empowering but is so undermined because that choice directly leads to her death. The actual death is different, Peter doesn't catch her incorrectly, he catches her too late so her head smacks the floor. Again, a minor difference, but it has a different meaning.

Obviously, in both cases the person most to blame is the Goblin, be it Harry or Norman. Just like the person most to blame for Ben's death is the burglar. But the comics frame Peter's decisions as being flawed, whereas the film makes it Gwen's decisions. Does that mean the makers of ASM 2 were aiming to make some sort of MRA screed about how women shouldn't be trusted to make their own decisions? No. Just like the stalking in the film I think it's because of the ultimately messy writing which doesn't take much care over what the film is actually saying and dramatically misjudges how much the mess of poorly motivated characters with no aim for any thematic clarity can create unintended messages.

I mean all the posts here are criticising the film's directly. I just wrote this post talking about the storytelling decisions in the film. I mentioned studio interference, but that is well publicised from interviews from Garfield to James Horner that these films were heavily meddled with. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by Raimi removed Peter's culpability. In what way?

Absolutely, gwen shouldn't have shown agency if she didn't want to die at the hand of a mad man.

You're applying the definition to the one character arc it can't be, Garfield Spider-Man doesn't grow from her death, he quits after blaming himself for her death. The film also frames him as responsible for not telling Harry he was Spider-Man and trying to help him earlier. He only comes back because he has a greater responsibility than his personal tragedies, and assholes will win if he's not around to stop them, which is what makes him such a great character.

Uncle Ben is a fridged character though.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 29, 2021