Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Begemot posted:

They usually do one every couple months, but the recent shutdowns have been to work on addressing the server congestion caused by the WoW exodus. I hope it works, I've had some weird connectivity issues in dungeons lately.
I recently started a dungeon and it was just me and two confused DPS, no healer. After a few minutes a healer joined us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I recently started a dungeon and it was just me and two confused DPS, no healer. After a few minutes a healer joined us.

Which dungeon was it? It's possible you were in a dungeon that someone rouletted into, went nah and left instantly.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Are shields just not a thing for not-PLD after 50 or so? I haven't seen a one-handed staff/wand or mage shield for ages.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Are shields just not a thing for not-PLD after 50 or so? I haven't seen a one-handed staff/wand or mage shield for ages.

You'll never see a shield for a non-PLD after 50, no.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
One handed weapons and caster shields were a legacy decision they phased out after 2.0 since nobody really liked the design and it complicated gearing (shields could be tank or caster shields and they could have different blocking focuses). It's similar to why you don't see caster cowls or tank armor sets that cover multiple slots with any regularity these days; it's clunky, it makes replacing the gear more difficult, and it's harder to glam.

One weird legacy effect is there are a few edge cases where gear stats are normalized where a caster might actually benefit from dragging out an old wand or stick and shield.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

shields look neat they should let more classes use them

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I want to fill every slot :(

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Tripple Triad is way more dope than I had anticipated. Wasn't expecting FFVIII and Shovel Knight to have payed off like this.

Are all open tournaments draft? It's a cool way to see weird rules and the rewards have been helping me steamroll NPCs.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Open tournaments are all draft, yes.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Discovered mahjong entirely by chance yesterday and lost several hours to it, I can't believe the fashion report was hiding it from me for so long.

Once I tore myself away from that for a while I pushed on through the main quest a bit (after a bit of mishap with a glamour system that I'm too stupid to understand) and left off with Toto the dog as my next dungeon.

Now to not play anything but mahjong for 3 weeks while I work up the courage to tank it :v:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
It rained like crazy on Saturday so we just hung out inside playing FFXIV and I got my regalia mount! I know some people complain about the grind but I was able to get 180k MGP in a day pretty easily thanks to the fashion report, challenge log, GATEs and a lucky mini cacpot. I don't know why it kept happening but I ended up with solo instances for Leap of Faith several times. It is a joke to do when you aren't being model clipped by 100 other people. I got the Slice is Right on my first try too, I saw some dude in tuxedo glam and just followed him around. I didn't really "get" the Golden Saucer at first but I love it now, its just great lazy fun and you don't have to take it seriously.

I'm really into the Heavensward MSQ now and enjoying it immensely, so much better than ARR. The quests are better, the writing is noticeably improved and the encounter design is far superior. The zones are gorgeous as well, big step up. If anyone else is suffering through endless ARR nonsense then hang in there, it does get better!

But I would be remiss if I didn't bitch about something and whoa boy do Aether Currents loving suck. I can see them removing your flying ability in new content but having so many that you only finish by the time you are done with the zone really sucks. Also why did they neuter the mount speed to default? Slow mount speed is the worst and frankly just unnecessary in HW+ content. Ugh.

I have switched my main DPS class to Red Mage for now until I unlock Dancer to check that out. Dragoon really let me down, I thought Jump would be a game changer and it's just not that fun. Too much animation locking going on with that class. Sam is OK and the damage is really crazy but I want to check out Ninja now that I have that 30% experience earring.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The animation locking with Dragoon does get better when you get high-jump to replace jump, but if the job isn't clicking it probably won't be a make or break point.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Aether currents are a deliberate design choice. You can fly in the zone when you have finished the MSQ there; that way if they're trying to tell a story in terms of exploration and progression they still get to do it while not leaving the zone ground-locked for months afterwards. It's an extra reward at the end. You're going to be returning to zones over time for a variety of reasons so it's not a case of "well this reward is worthless."

They also use this where you might step into a zone briefly early in the msq but separate out parts of it for later, so they can divide up the exploration.

The one problem with Aether currents in my mind is the compass doesn't indicate if you can actually reach a current or not with your current story and zone progress.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 29, 2021

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Flying in ARR just being unlocked when you complete the 2.0 MSQ is the exception rather than the norm. You couldn't even fly in ARR zones until 5.3 came out last year.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
the only places that aether currents are bad instead of good are the lochs and the tempest

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The animation locking with Dragoon does get better when you get high-jump to replace jump, but if the job isn't clicking it probably won't be a make or break point.

Yeah, they address that eventually, and you can work around it by making sure that you're close to enemies when you jump, and weaving it early in the GCD so it doesn't clip the next attack.

I will mention that ninja has a similar animation lock attack, assassinate, but you don't get to use it as often as jump so it's not really a problem.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I love Aether currents. I like exploring the zones to find them and I do all the quests anyway so having ones pointed out to me that are gonna be important and start cool quest chains is just a bonus.

That said:

Leraika posted:

the only places that aether currents are bad instead of good are the lochs and the tempest

this is truth

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Tempest is fine. Lochs are hell.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

Agreed, I just finished the aether currents in Stormblood and boy howdy do I hope ShB currents are less obnoxious than some of those last Stormblood currents.

I'm looking for a mobile ranged DPS class with no cast times. The internet is telling me to look at Dancer or Mech. Does that sound right?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Aades posted:

Agreed, I just finished the aether currents in Stormblood and boy howdy do I hope ShB currents are less obnoxious than some of those last Stormblood currents.

I'm looking for a mobile ranged DPS class with no cast times. The internet is telling me to look at Dancer or Mech. Does that sound right?

Any of the ranged DPS would work, but yeah those are the good ones :v:

Dancer also gets en avant, a skill that lets you zip forward 10 yalms, so it's the MOST mobile, fittingly.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aades posted:

All the ranged physical DPS (Bard, Machinist, Dancer) have no cast times. You'll probably gravitate towards Dancer because it has an actual mobility skill and starts at Level 60.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I just finished the ShB MSQ and I'm finally at the 'recent' content. Actually having to participate with all these strange post-game materials and items is daunting though, and I have no idea where to source any better equipment for the rapidly encroaching ILVL walls to proceed in content. Obviously the Tomestone gear is the best in its various categories but I need to be able to actually do the content in the first place to get enough stones to buy them! I'd craft better stuff but basic recipes only go up to LV78/ILVL415 and I have no idea where you actually acquire any of the materials for the Master Recipes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And Dancer’s got a pretty simple rotation, since most of it is just reacting to whatever procs you get after using your combo starters.

Actually that reminds me: should you be using the off-global abilities as soon as you get them to proc, or save them up to 3 stacks (popping it off once if you get a 4th) for the crit buff?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I just finished the ShB MSQ and I'm finally at the 'recent' content. Actually having to participate with all these strange post-game materials and items is daunting though, and I have no idea where to source any better equipment for the rapidly encroaching ILVL walls to proceed in content. Obviously the Tomestone gear is the best in its various categories but I need to be able to actually do the content in the first place to get enough stones to buy them! I'd craft better stuff but basic recipes only go up to LV78/ILVL415 and I have no idea where you actually acquire any of the materials for the Master Recipes.

A lot of the master recipe materials come from max-level gathering.

The easiest way to get up to speed on ilvl is to just spend a bunch of gil on the market board. Exarchic will get you through the MSQ, and into grinding tomestones. You can use allegories to upgrade the exarchic gear, and save up revelations to get the real good cryptlurker stuff.

The way upgrading exarchic gear works is kind of weird. It costs two kinds of currency, rain and tokens. You buy rain with allegory tomestones, and you get tokens from trading in exarchic gear. You get more tokens for HQ gear, but you can just look at the market board and buy the cheapest stuff, then use it to trade in for tokens. Then you can buy the upgraded gear that you're actually going to use.

Doing the Eden raids, specifically the latest 4, will also give you tokens you can trade for ilvl520 gear, but it takes a while to get there. Good for getting new classes up to speed, though.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You can get i430 leftside armor from a npc in the final MSQ zone to start. If you have money or are in a FC with friendly crafters they can help source i510 Exarchic pieces.

Beyond that, start unlocking dungeons, the first Nier raid, and the first Eden raid. Not only do those give you current tier tomestones to spend, they will have gear drops and tokens you can just roll on outright to start stepping upwards.

If you completed the Ivalice raid chain in SB you can unlock Bozja, which normalizes you to i430 item stats outright, lets you earn tomestones and 495/510/525 armor sets, and work on resistance weapons (the first weapon step is i485 and you get one for free as part of unlocking the Bozja content).

At the end of the day current tier expansions have one uncapped tomestone (get as many as you want every week) for second tier gear; and a limited tomestone that lets you buy top shelf items, just like you have been with poetics up to this point. If you just play the game you will rapidly gear up if you don't take the Exarchic shortcut.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

That's all good information to know! I was plugging away at the various old raids/dungeons so it's good to know I should try to finish Ivalice sooner than later. However,

Begemot posted:

A lot of the master recipe materials come from max-level gathering.

I've gone through the various materials for the master recipes and none of them ever give a relevant node. I'm 80 in everything so it's clearly not a level problem :confused:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You might need to buy a book that reveals special unspoiled node locations before they appear. Tomes of Geological Folklore or something to that extent.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I've gone through the various materials for the master recipes and none of them ever give a relevant node. I'm 80 in everything so it's clearly not a level problem :confused:

Do you have the relevant Folklore book? If not, you won't see the relevant items or their nodes.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Did you buy the master gathering tomes as well? I think you need stuff from them and stuff you can only buy from vendors

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Alxprit posted:

You might need to buy a book that reveals special unspoiled node locations before they appear. Tomes of Geological Folklore or something to that extent.

This is correct.

Gathering at each level cap moves away from the default materials you automatically know how to gather and into "folklore" materials that are on special nodes. You buy books with gatherer scrip to unlock those nodes and then can get those. Similarly, there are "master" crafting books for each discipline that you buy with crafting scrip and contain additional recipes for each level cap.

They separate out you having the base knowledge to level up DoH/DoL jobs and do the quests, but then add additional depth and options for dedicated crafters/gatherers.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Do you have the relevant Folklore book? If not, you won't see the relevant items or their nodes.

Ohhh poo poo, that's what those are? I guess I'd better farm some scrips and buy them. I always thought the Master Recipes were made from obscure dungeon drops or something, not behind hidden books and whatnot. I've had my DoH/DoLs maxed out for ages! I should be putting them to use on these actually-cutting-edge recipes!!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ohhh poo poo, that's what those are? I guess I'd better farm some scrips and buy them. I always thought the Master Recipes were made from obscure dungeon drops or something, not behind hidden books and whatnot. I've had my DoH/DoLs maxed out for ages! I should be putting them to use on these actually-cutting-edge recipes!!

Yeah, exactly.

Each expansion has 2 master books for each crafter discipline (ARR has 1 and 2, HW has 3 and 4, etc). Folklore gathering has shifted slightly over time in favor of consolidating the number of books you need to buy, but at the end of the day you're simply unlocking the endgame resource nodes for your respective discipline. The good news is this is a once per cycle thing; people who bought the master 7-8 books and folklore books in 5.0 were set for the rest of SHB, they simply add more recipes and nodes to those unlocks over time without you having to go farm more scrip each patch.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

So assuming you can't find a goon to make you exarchic gear, it's still pretty trivial to gear up now. All of your roulettes now have tomestone of allegory and revelation bonuses and even the allegory gear will only require a few pieces to open up the first few dungeons. This should be good enough to get you through the MSQ to unlock Bozja where you can unlock relic weapons. Once you have a full set of Allegory gear or better you are set for any dungeons. E9-12 drops 510 gear, Revelation gear is 520 as is the gear from the third Nier Raid. The raid at the end of Zadnor drops tokens that can be traded for I think 530 gear.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Short term, if you're in one of the goon FCs or at least on the same data center then you can probably get help with getting an HQ Exarchic set which is item level 510. Just ask in the relevant discord. If that's not possible and you don't have anyone who can help you then a full set of Exarchic will cost something like 700k gil or so on the market board. I really don't recommend trying to self-source the materials unless you find that sort of thing very interesting, they're common at this point in the expansion and the gather/crafter gear required for them is more expensive than the Exarchic gear itself.

Medium term you might want to upgrade to an Augmented Exarchic set, which is item level 520. You do that at an NPC (Hillicen) in Eulmore. Get Certificates of Grandeur by trading them Exarchic gear, and buy Crystalline Rains with your Tomestones of Allegory (the medium level, unlimited ones). You need 3800 allegories for a full set. If you want to start directly with Augmented Exarchic then it's usually most efficient to trade in the cheapest non-PLD HQ Exarchic weapon you can buy.

Long term, you can do Bozja for item level 525 left side gear. Bozja syncs all your gear to 430 so you can do it wearing whatever. Tomestones of Revelation are used to buy 520 gear that upgrades to 530 with tokens from the 24-man raids. Bozja also gets you the item level 535 relic weapon, but that's a very long chain. With how close we are to Endwalker I wouldn't worry too much about any of these.

If you end up wanting to buy Exarchic gear for any purpose then you can usually save a few hundred thousand gil through world visit. Use Universalis to find the cheapest option on your datacenter.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You can always just do what I do and cobble together bits and pieces from all the different sources gradually to pass each ilvl threshhold. You don't have to jump right to having max or near max gear. Unless that seems preferable in which case either buy or get someone to make you a full exarchic set and then not worry about it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Yeah. At this point of expansion, it's probably only reason to go for max IL is to do Savage content right now..
Finishing MSQ requires IL 490 for the final dungeon, which is much more doable by just playing.

These all will be old crap, when the Endwalker comes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Regalingualius posted:

And Dancer’s got a pretty simple rotation, since most of it is just reacting to whatever procs you get after using your combo starters.

Actually that reminds me: should you be using the off-global abilities as soon as you get them to proc, or save them up to 3 stacks (popping it off once if you get a 4th) for the crit buff?

You should start with a standard step, then devilment, then technical step, flourish, and by the time you run through that you'll be back at a standard step. Devilment will come off cooldown right before technical step, so you'll pop it right before that again. Flourish will be up again right after that, so use it and keep rolling. Always standard step when you can and don't put it off.

If you have a fan dance III proced, use it before you use a fan dance I or II.

Pretty much always be dancing.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah ultimately in less than two months you'll be able to buy 530 gear for poetics

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Regalingualius posted:

For the feathers, during your normal rotation use them when you hit four. You always way to stay at 3 feathers. When it’s damage dump time (I.e devilment + technical step) weave them in between your combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Leraika posted:

Which dungeon was it? It's possible you were in a dungeon that someone rouletted into, went nah and left instantly.
It was Xelphatol. I'd understand someone nopeing out of totorak tho.