Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Building a terrain set for my home, primarily for Infinity. Picked up this small building from Amazon for $14. Built it up pretty easy, took about 30 minutes to paint using almost entirely the airbrush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Link?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KCRBX4F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I didn't even realize that it was made out of laser-cut MDF until I clicked the Amazon link. Really great airbrush paint job on that building.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

lol ok got a different link to a store not owned by a gross abuser?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bottom Liner posted:

You can't, you really just can't, drop that and move on. :justpost:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

mllaneza posted:

You can't, you really just can't, drop that and move on. :justpost:

https://www.polygon.com/22661192/broken-token-ceo-steps-down-layoffs-greg-spence

really gross allegations and confirmation from other employees, not to mention a disgusting response from him.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

If what you are looking for isn't that specific set, but just some nice laser cut MDF scenery, I would recommend Death Ray Designs.

I haven't ever heard anything bad about them, and when I wanted bases that were slightly larger that their listing, they gladly made the adjustment and custom cut my order. They use both MDF and acrylic, and honestly I think that how it fully buys into the "easy and quick to make" terrain with colored plastic bits is great.

https://deathraydesigns.com/

edit: Also, I have to mention that regarding the bases I was talking about, I loving love that product. They have a variety of paintable base inserts, but not made of resin. They're cut from thin sheets of acrylic and you punch them out of a sheet and sometimes layer them. Not only is this extremely cost effective relative to resin bases (if you're the type, like me), but it also provides much more flat area on top, which I find useful for attaching the mini to the base.

Anyway don't wanna be a shill but when it comes to laser cut and 3D printed minis stuff I feel a thing about this product relative to other products.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 28, 2021

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
More adventures in oil. I really need to read up on my color theory with this stuff. Everything has different transparencies , but at least it's in a standardized system, so everything reacts with other colors, and the undercoat, in fun ways.
This guy has a red-brown acrylic coat on the shield, and a cream colored coat on the cloth. It makes blending the oils on top of them much easier, without the risk of getting the white undercoat to show through.

This guy does not have any acrylics on it, and painting the red was a pain in the rear end.

Acrylic undercoats are great! Unfortunately, I'm trying to get the technique down and really figure out oils, so I'll be doing a lot of minis with nothing but oils.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Bottom Liner posted:

https://www.polygon.com/22661192/broken-token-ceo-steps-down-layoffs-greg-spence

really gross allegations and confirmation from other employees, not to mention a disgusting response from him.

Had no clue!

I bought other buildings from warsenal as well. They’re a bit pricier but better looking.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Electric Hobo posted:

More adventures in oil. I really need to read up on my color theory with this stuff. Everything has different transparencies , but at least it's in a standardized system, so everything reacts with other colors, and the undercoat, in fun ways.
This guy has a red-brown acrylic coat on the shield, and a cream colored coat on the cloth. It makes blending the oils on top of them much easier, without the risk of getting the white undercoat to show through.

This guy does not have any acrylics on it, and painting the red was a pain in the rear end.

Acrylic undercoats are great! Unfortunately, I'm trying to get the technique down and really figure out oils, so I'll be doing a lot of minis with nothing but oils.

That's one dope skellington! :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here’s an update on my plaguey boys. The heavy dry brush and wash combo worked well to make them look rusty and oozey. They’re a little more saturated than I wanted so I may try to tone it back down a little with diluted dark grey wash.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 28, 2021

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Crossposting from the 40k thread

quote:

Finished up these violent Rockeeter cosplayers last night. I hated how they looked on the normal flying stands but found a company called Deadly Print Studio that does a bunch of effects you can add to the minis. Very pleased with the results :black101:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Bottom Liner posted:

Here’s an update on my plaguey boys. The heavy dry brush and wash combo worked well to make them look rusty and oozey. They’re a little more saturated than I wanted so I may try to tone it back down a little with diluted dark grey wash.

I really like the colours, very mildewy. Just looks a tiny bit chalky, but the wash should fix that. They're definitely not too bright though, the tones are great. If you can find a way to make them (or at least bits of them) a little more "gooey" then you've got a winner.

Getting all nostalgic now, my first (brief) regular(ish) opponent back in the day had a plague marine chaos army. Unpainted, of course. Best chaos marines. God I used to love setting them on fire with the late 2nd edition Hellhound.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Awhile back someone was looking for bad rear end ladies not wearing thongs. Saw this in another thread so thought I'd signal boost it:

Definitely Not Damsels - Bad Squiddo Kickstarter

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ugleb posted:

Awhile back someone was looking for bad rear end ladies not wearing thongs. Saw this in another thread so thought I'd signal boost it:

thanks!

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
My hobby output for the month- painted up a Be’lakor.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Skails posted:

Fantastic!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ho'ly sh'moly that's s'ome go'od Be'lakor :swoon:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Skails posted:

no fair, posting the box art is cheating.

Kidding, that looks phenomenal

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Ugleb posted:

Check the Bad Squiddo website for stuff too if this hits the spot. They have plenty of models in other themes, like post-apoc wastelanders and women in ww2, that they had kickstarters for previously and now just sell as part of their normal line. They've got lots

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Manny von C. To be honest this model is kind of dumb, it was a chore to paint and I phoned it in a little.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Skails posted:

This rules extremely hard.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Skails posted:

:discourse:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spanish Manlove posted:

no fair, posting the box art is cheating.

Kidding, that looks phenomenal

Yeah I had to double take to make sure this wasn't a bit where they were posting official photos lol

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Wow yesss that's absolutely amazing work! I love it.

Decorus posted:

Please post pictures of your dogriders once they're done!

Pages back, but this has taken me forever! I've got one done.

It's kinda a test paint - my goal was to use "Moebius-like" colors.

Surprise surprise, painting bright without being able to hide all my mistakes under a dark wash is hard!

I have no idea if this is working, or if it looks good at all. I've been staring at it so long I can't tell if it ever came out of the "this looks like garbage" phase. :)

But I'm calling it done, for now, and I'd love to see what y'all think.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Thanks everybody, I really did stick as close as possible to the box art scheme. 20-30 more hours on it might hit heavy metal quality but Im ready to move on!

Geisladisk posted:

Manny von C. To be honest this model is kind of dumb, it was a chore to paint and I phoned it in a little.

Undead/Vampires were always my favorite factions but I agree about the mortarchs steed and the morghasts. Something about them feels kinda off. Like they should be cool, but it’s a miss.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

superh posted:

Wow yesss that's absolutely amazing work! I love it.

Pages back, but this has taken me forever! I've got one done.

It's kinda a test paint - my goal was to use "Moebius-like" colors.

Surprise surprise, painting bright without being able to hide all my mistakes under a dark wash is hard!

I have no idea if this is working, or if it looks good at all. I've been staring at it so long I can't tell if it ever came out of the "this looks like garbage" phase. :)

But I'm calling it done, for now, and I'd love to see what y'all think.

I think you're on the right track but your colors are too saturated and too uniform.
I think he did all his coloring with watercolors so if I was trying to do a Moebius color scheme (which is a bitchin' idea) I'd prime pure white and then use very thin translucent colors, you could use washes, inks or even contrast, although I would thin all of them out with extra medium because except for a few colors they're all too saturated.. Maybe even follow up with even lighter, or even white highlights.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Skails posted:

Undead/Vampires were always my favorite factions but I agree about the mortarchs steed and the morghasts. Something about them feels kinda off. Like they should be cool, but it’s a miss.

Yeah this model is a bit of a mess. I can see what they were going for - Mannfred dropping from the sky on his magically levitating nightmare mount.

All the Mortarchs themselves are really cool. There is a lot of motion in them, and the models are good and appropriately regal. But.. the mount is almost entirely static. It's posture reminds me of nothing so much as a dog taking a nap lying on it's side. There is absolutely no sense of motion there. This is made worse by the fact that it has no wings of any kind, as it is clearly intended to levitate magically. So... the end result is that you have this really dynamic rider that looks like he is posing on top of a completely static mount. The design of the mount is also pretty bad and miserable to paint. It is way overloaded with detail. It's tummy is full of skulls for some reason??

Also - And this is no fault of the sculptors - It's design no longer fits into it's faction. The model contains elements of both Bonereapers in the design of the mount and Nighthaunt in the ghosts, which makes sense because these two things were part of the same faction when the model was released; But since then, they've gone their own separate ways. So... the model no longer really feels like a party of it's army.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I was just double checking my Kickstarter to see when I can modify my RGG wet palette 2 pledge and I noticed that Duncan Rhode's Kickstarter is over in less than two days and has over $1 million pledged. Sheesh!

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
On the TTC paints kickstarter note, as someone who would like to get into miniature painting would it be worth backing the full line pledge just to have a bevy of options instead of occasionally going to my hobby store and going "ah shoot I also needed <color>"? All of my painting so far has been gunpla and scale model kits with an airbrush and so nearly all of my paints are pre-thinned and not useful for miniature painting. Seems like it could be a good idea to drop ~$200 on a full line kind of like a gym membership to force me into learning, but also to have every option available when I do go to paint.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I'm an idiot but and I would say god no. I think anyone backing an unproven paint line is insane. If you're getting started you don't really need a huge range, grab some universal basics, some project specific stuff, then slowly add more over time. You can get a huge variety of shades from mixing basics. The main advantage of having 10 shades of red is being consistent across an army sized project and matching shades over time.

What paints do you currently use? Vallejo airbrush marketed paint should be fine for miniature painting, you might need to do a few thin coats in the worst case*

*the worst case for your patience but ironically the best case for the finish of the model

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Vallejo airbrush is exactly what I use and it ranges from the darker shades being perfectly thin to things like white or light tan being really thin. The white is almost unusable but I am also Mega Bad so it could just be that I am doing something wrong.

This is dumb but when I watch videos their paint seems "creamy" and Vallejo airbrush feels "watery"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Zodack posted:

On the TTC paints kickstarter note, as someone who would like to get into miniature painting would it be worth backing the full line pledge just to have a bevy of options instead of occasionally going to my hobby store and going "ah shoot I also needed <color>"? All of my painting so far has been gunpla and scale model kits with an airbrush and so nearly all of my paints are pre-thinned and not useful for miniature painting. Seems like it could be a good idea to drop ~$200 on a full line kind of like a gym membership to force me into learning, but also to have every option available when I do go to paint.

Getting the full kit is beyond overkill. However, getting a subset kit for general use would be a nice starting point. General use being:

Main color wheel colors like red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. Auxillary colors like black, white, grey, dark brown, light brown. Mini painting classics like dark metal, bright metal, brass gold.

On almost any project you'll use a decent amount of those colors. If you want to fancy things up you can totally have a dark/medium/light version of each of those main colors like the TTC paints are aimed for. For example, on my Ork kommandos' clothes I use these different blue colors.

Then as you pick up projects you can totally justify getting paint for them, like I bought livery green just for extreme highlights on my Ork skin because I didn't think it was bright enough on my first few of them. Then I used some on the burna boy and yeah that dude glows. And then I got some fluorescent yellow ink last weekend to try out on some Ork skin as well. But I like getting random colors to try out and then have options for other stuff. Like I found that highlighting black with the cloudy blue/grey I use on my space wolves is actually pretty cool. And Iraqui Sand sucks for painting bases but is a really good skin highlight.

While I'm here I'd like to recommend a few colors that have really good coverage and can be used for cool stuff:
Vallejo Dark Sea Blue (it's a really dark bluish green)
Vallejo Dark Sea Green (actually a nice mid grey)
Vallejo Hexed Lichen (purple)
Vallejo German Camo Brown. Coverage on this is amazing. Basically anything brown I paint has this as the base.
Any of the Vallejo Metal colors. gently caress every other metal paint. Don't even bother, just use this. Dye it yellow to make gold.
Except two metal paints that are actuslly good: p3 Necro gold and Deathless metal. Ironically their other metals kinda suck. Scale 75 has some OK gold colors but their steel colors suck. They do have some fun metallic pinks, emeralds, etc that are fun to use.
Most of the contrast paints.
Ok so I may be a Vallejo fanboy. But they're just so good, and cheaper than GW, and they're in dropper bottles.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 30, 2021

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Buying new paint releases a chemical into my body that I like.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Bucnasti posted:

I think you're on the right track but your colors are too saturated and too uniform.
I think he did all his coloring with watercolors so if I was trying to do a Moebius color scheme (which is a bitchin' idea) I'd prime pure white and then use very thin translucent colors, you could use washes, inks or even contrast, although I would thin all of them out with extra medium because except for a few colors they're all too saturated.. Maybe even follow up with even lighter, or even white highlights.

Yeah I think this is good insight. He's got a range of styles and I prefer the more strongly saturated stuff - but getting some lighter, closer to white shades in there will add definition. I'll keep working on it! Thanks for the feedback!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Bright, saturated colors are cool but have to be used the right way. Too many and it looks clownish, where your eyes just have so much information and don't know what to look at first. So they're best used to draw attention to specific parts of a model, like weapons, faces, etc.

You can have multiple colors on something but have the most bright, saturated colors on aspects that you want to draw attention to. Check out Craft world studio, their stuff is a total rainbow of colors and tones but it looks coherent as they frame pieces well.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Zodack posted:

I'd say it's a bad idea to buy an entire range for two reasons:

1) You most likely won't use more than a third of such a set. Most painter ends up liking a specific palette of colours or you're painting a specific armour scheme etc.

2) Most likely you'll find paints from different brands that you like more. For example, I mainly prefer Vallejo. But I think their light greys and whites are bad. I like Army Painter's washes but I don't like most of their paints, and so on and so on.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I know Citadel makes a glowy green, orange, and I think blue; does anyone make a similar yellow? Like a florescent acrylic paint?

I'm planning out my Sisters of Battle and thinking about their halos, but I'm not really good (or patient) enough for OSL. I thought at least if they looked kind of bright, like the Necron's weapons do in green, but in golden yellow it'd be cool.

E: I'll probably just make them super shiny gold, now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Vallejo has fluorescent yellow, red, green, blue. They seem to work well as washes as their consistency is weird. Idk how they work through an airbrush.

DalerRowney has fluorescent yellow ink. Haven't tried it yet but it is obnoxiously bright.