Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Ruggan posted:

Ok, I’m losing my god drat mind.

I want a 4-in 2-out usb-c or thunderbolt KVM.

2 computers, each with 2 usb-c ports. Connect those 4 ports to a single switch that outputs 2. Switch between which 2 inputs (which computer) is connected.

How the gently caress can I do this?

I wrote up a post in the previous megathread about how to do this with a basic USB switch that has been working pretty well for me

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903626&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=446#post515001681

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

vanilla slimfast posted:

I wrote up a post in the previous megathread about how to do this with a basic USB switch that has been working pretty well for me

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903626&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=446#post515001681

Oh yeah, this might work. I didn’t realize there was a signal switcher for monitors. A little annoying though considering both of my monitors have built-in hubs.

Looks like my only other option is to get a really pricy KVM at 250+ from a niche manufacturer.

Crazy that those are my options in TYOOL 2021.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Ruggan posted:

Oh yeah, this might work. I didn’t realize there was a signal switcher for monitors. A little annoying though considering both of my monitors have built-in hubs.

Looks like my only other option is to get a really pricy KVM at 250+ from a niche manufacturer.

Crazy that those are my options in TYOOL 2021.

The way the rust app works is it sends the control commands directly to the monitor to signal an input switch. So it effectively works the same as a KVM without actually having to route the video signals through a single box (which is what makes actual KVMs so spendy)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Goons, please help! My little brother-in-law started picking up parts to build himself a PC without really knowing what he was doing or consulting anybody, and he's ended up in a weird place, and figuring out the best way to get out of the woods from here is beyond my limited knowledge. He has so far acquired an AMD FX-9590, the juggernaut of last decade, and an ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3, a similarly old Micro-ATX motherboard that is too small for the gigantic hog of a CPU he purchased and too old for any modern hardware.

The motherboard is probably a write-off. It doesn't work for the old CPU he bought, it won't work for modern CPUs, and buying a more modest 8-year old CPU to slot into it would be completely insane. I'd say he should try to sell it, but I struggle to imagine who would be interested in buying an obsolete mobo that was mediocre in its time.

The CPU is more of a question. Obviously it wasn't a good purchase, but is it a recoverable error? It's difficult for me to compare it to anything modern directly because it's too old to appear on current benchmarks, but it's got impressive clockspeeds, so could it still hold up to vaguely modern gaming? It looks like there are compatible motherboards that can handle SSDs, so could he potentially furnish himself with a functional, if sub-optimal gaming computer without having to abandon his initial outlay? Failing that, does he have better odds of selling the FX-9590?

Thanks for taking the time.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I'd honestly call it all a writeoff at this point. 32nm is quite a few nodes back and it'll waste quite a bit of electricity trying to push out the performance of a modern 10nm cpu. if you run it for 3 years and pay $5 extra a month for that performance you're already approaching the cost of just buying a new one outright. Plus, everything there is going to become completely obsolete ~6 years faster than an up-to-date processor.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
clockspeed is more or less totally irrelevant here. it will lose, badly as I understand it, even to first gen ryzen because it doesn't compare on instructions per clock (IPC) or cache.

he could prolly flip it on Facebook market if he had to.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yeah no one should be using an FX anything.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Ah well, that's about what I expected. Sorry, little bro.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Voyager I posted:

Goons, please help! My little brother-in-law started picking up parts to build himself a PC without really knowing what he was doing or consulting anybody, and he's ended up in a weird place, and figuring out the best way to get out of the woods from here is beyond my limited knowledge. He has so far acquired an AMD FX-9590, the juggernaut of last decade, and an ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3, a similarly old Micro-ATX motherboard that is too small for the gigantic hog of a CPU he purchased and too old for any modern hardware.

The motherboard is probably a write-off. It doesn't work for the old CPU he bought, it won't work for modern CPUs, and buying a more modest 8-year old CPU to slot into it would be completely insane. I'd say he should try to sell it, but I struggle to imagine who would be interested in buying an obsolete mobo that was mediocre in its time.

The CPU is more of a question. Obviously it wasn't a good purchase, but is it a recoverable error? It's difficult for me to compare it to anything modern directly because it's too old to appear on current benchmarks, but it's got impressive clockspeeds, so could it still hold up to vaguely modern gaming? It looks like there are compatible motherboards that can handle SSDs, so could he potentially furnish himself with a functional, if sub-optimal gaming computer without having to abandon his initial outlay? Failing that, does he have better odds of selling the FX-9590?

Yeah that CPU uses DDR3 memory, it's not worth sticking with. Where did he even get that thing? If at all possible send it back :v:

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but I got some good help with a PC build I posted last week and there doesn't seem to be a generic PC gaming thread in Games anymore, so here goes:

Is there any PC controller or gamepad that is notably quieter and less clicky, for a lack of better word, than others? Failing that, are modern Dualshocks or Xbox controllers quieter than the ones from about a decade ago? I'm mostly concerned with the button tapping and directional stick noise in action oriented games.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I'm looking to replace a PC for my father-in-law (specifically replacing an i5 PC I built for him in 2012).

He's using it for business computing (moderate/heavy office stuff and loads of videoconferencing) - but no gaming, so his graphics needs oughta be covered by integrated graphics.
But here's the thing: This computer needs to be loving fast. You know the kind of old dude who'll click a thing, it doesn't respond *immediately*, and so then he goes clicking a dozen other things? I don't want any of that; he tends to get super anxious and then go clicking around and loving poo poo up. Here's the deets:

What are you using the system for? General office/business computing, videoconferencing, web stuff. Zoom/Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Acrobat.
What's your budget? Ideally under $1,000.
Other stuff: His current machine's in a Mini-ITX case; if we can avoid a bigger box that would be better.
Needed: Just the PC itself (and a Windows license but I figure I'll get that from SAMart) - I don't need to replace monitor/etc.

Just to give you an idea on the kind of "speed" I'm talking about, I mean like, if there's a BIOS that means that the machine will wake from sleep like 2 seconds faster, it's worthwhile. Maybe this isn't "speed" as much as responsiveness, but I hope you get the idea. AMD or Intel doesn't matter; whichever is "snappier".

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

sarcastx posted:

I'm looking to replace a PC for my father-in-law (specifically replacing an i5 PC I built for him in 2012).

He's using it for business computing (moderate/heavy office stuff and loads of videoconferencing) - but no gaming, so his graphics needs oughta be covered by integrated graphics.
But here's the thing: This computer needs to be loving fast. You know the kind of old dude who'll click a thing, it doesn't respond *immediately*, and so then he goes clicking a dozen other things? I don't want any of that; he tends to get super anxious and then go clicking around and loving poo poo up. Here's the deets:

What are you using the system for? General office/business computing, videoconferencing, web stuff. Zoom/Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Acrobat.
Other stuff: His current machine's in a Mini-ITX case; if we can avoid a bigger box that would be better.
Needed: Just the PC itself (and a Windows license but I figure I'll get that from SAMart) - I don't need to replace monitor/etc.

Just to give you an idea on the kind of "speed" I'm talking about, I mean like, if there's a BIOS that means that the machine will wake from sleep like 2 seconds faster, it's worthwhile. Maybe this isn't "speed" as much as responsiveness, but I hope you get the idea. AMD or Intel doesn't matter; whichever is "snappier".

responsiveness is best addressed by SSDs and to a lesser degree more CPU. i don't think either CPU company are significantly better at that - something with an nvme drive i bet would probably be the most significant change if he's not already on SSD.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

CoolCab posted:

responsiveness is best addressed by SSDs and to a lesser degree more CPU. i don't think either CPU company are significantly better at that - something with an nvme drive i bet would probably be the most significant change if he's not already on SSD.

Yeah a few years back I switched him from a WD HDD to a Samsung SSD over SATA, it was a solid upgrade for him but like, yeah.
I assumed NVME was going to be a part of this build but perhaps I should budget for some chill pills too

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

sarcastx posted:

That's eminently doable, here's an ITX build I threw together for a friend with the same needs for a little over $500: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/K7bPRT

Only thing you might have to watch out for is getting a PSU that fits your small case (and I bought the CPU and MOBO refurbished on Ebay so YMMV there)

Edited to include a public link, oops

change my name fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 28, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Your part list is private

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
he's got the budget overhead, i'd say go for the 5600G. two more cores and then you know for sure you have top of the line CPU and you're as fast as you can be in that price bracket.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CoolCab posted:

he's got the budget overhead, i'd say go for the 5600G. two more cores and then you know for sure you have top of the line CPU and you're as fast as you can be in that price bracket.

Agreed, they'll just need to get a B550 board instead which are a little pricier.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Voyager I posted:

I know the bad news has already been broken, but just to reinforce how bad this CPU is, I found a video that has some benchmarks comparing the FX-9590 to the top intel and CPUs from 18 months ago along with its competition at release (it even sucked rear end at the time):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNI9nEuBW3w

9:37 for productivity benchmarks and 11:10 for game benchmarks. Your brother needs to sell that thing for hopefully what he paid for it and use actual modern parts.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 28, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Your part list is private

private parts

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

sarcastx posted:

I'm looking to replace a PC for my father-in-law

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.
Here's what I've come up with so far:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bRDR2V

My own thoughts on this list:
• I'm partial to ASUS motherboards but their selection in Mini-ITX seems pricey, but it seems like changing to something else might only save $50-70.
• That SSD oughta be the a good price/performance balance for an impatient retiree, I think (???)
• The Fractal Design case looks nice - though I'd probably go for that NZXT one change my name recommended if it didn't have glass. My own computer is in an NZXT H510 :)
• That PSU... Not really sure what to do about PSUs these days. I figure this machine won't require a ton of wattage - but I'd like to get a modular PSU so I don't have to manage redundant cables. But I also don't see any way on PCPP to verify it's going to fit in the case...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

a podcast for cats posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but I got some good help with a PC build I posted last week and there doesn't seem to be a generic PC gaming thread in Games anymore, so here goes:

Is there any PC controller or gamepad that is notably quieter and less clicky, for a lack of better word, than others? Failing that, are modern Dualshocks or Xbox controllers quieter than the ones from about a decade ago? I'm mostly concerned with the button tapping and directional stick noise in action oriented games.

I don't have a Series controller or dual sense handy to test, but no. The stick noise is the sound of the stick hitting the plastic surround and the button noise is mostly plastic-on-plastic as the button rebounds or rattles in its well. As stick construction and the rubber dome button actuation method haven't changed I don't see the noise being any less. You could try to pad the points of contact but I assume that would ruin the feel of the buttons if there's even enough clearance for it, and might mess with the sticks' response.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the xbox series x controller is definitely a step up in build quality vs the 360 controller and to a lesser extent the xbone one.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I don't have a Series controller or dual sense handy to test, but no. The stick noise is the sound of the stick hitting the plastic surround and the button noise is mostly plastic-on-plastic as the button rebounds or rattles in its well. As stick construction and the rubber dome button actuation method haven't changed I don't see the noise being any less. You could try to pad the points of contact but I assume that would ruin the feel of the buttons if there's even enough clearance for it, and might mess with the sticks' response.

doesnt the steam controller have weird thumb trackpads instead of joysticks? that would get rid of the noise of the joysticks hitting the edge of the joystick slot

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

sarcastx posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.
Here's what I've come up with so far:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bRDR2V

My own thoughts on this list:
• I'm partial to ASUS motherboards but their selection in Mini-ITX seems pricey, but it seems like changing to something else might only save $50-70.
• That SSD oughta be the a good price/performance balance for an impatient retiree, I think (???)
• The Fractal Design case looks nice - though I'd probably go for that NZXT one change my name recommended if it didn't have glass. My own computer is in an NZXT H510 :)
• That PSU... Not really sure what to do about PSUs these days. I figure this machine won't require a ton of wattage - but I'd like to get a modular PSU so I don't have to manage redundant cables. But I also don't see any way on PCPP to verify it's going to fit in the case...

Can you translate 'partial to' into any concrete reasons to justify buying the most expensive b550 itx board going when your use case is much more limited and the pc isn't even for you?

You should definitely get 3600 speed RAM.

There isn't any actual real world performance difference between PCIe 3 and 4 NVMes (things like booting, loading games etc) at the moment so we normally don't recommend PCIe4 storage given its relative value, but if you want to tell him he's getting the fastest storage going then maybe the placebo effect will stop him getting so frustrated.

PCPP won't show you incompatible PSUs (or other parts generally) unless you go out of your way to show them. That said, 650W is hilarious overkill for the parts in that system. PCPP estimates your actual wattage as 120W. However if you're dead set on fully modular the lowest wattage available are 450W I think. Given that there's no GPU though cable management isn't going to be an issue, even in an ITX case, so I wouldn't discount regular PSUs here. Speaking of, have you considered the nr200? Good looking and easy to build in.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 29, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
your dad might be a situation where more ram could be justified, if some of his response to "slow" is because he like my mum loves to have a trillion tabs and whatever else she downloads open at all times.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

This really tiny InWin case comes with a PSU, it might be a good choice but I bet it's a pain to build in: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N091225/?psc=0

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Can you translate 'partial to' into any concrete reasons to justify buying the most expensive b550 itx board going when your use case is much more limited and the pc isn't even for you?

I absolutely cannot - but it's one of those "go with what you know" things. I like the motherboard in my own PC so I went looking for a tiny version of it.
My fall-back brand used to be Gigabyte but that whole lovely PSUs fiasco from a few months back kinda soured me on them - do you have a suggestion/is there a goon consensus on decent Mini-ITX motherboards?

Butterfly Valley posted:

You should definitely get 3600 speed RAM.

Fixed, thank you

Butterfly Valley posted:

There isn't any actual real world performance difference between PCIe 3 and 4 NVMes (things like booting, loading games etc) at the moment...

Again I'm "partial" to Samsung SSDs and it doesn't look like going back to a 970 is going to save much cash, but again, I'm super open to suggestions if there's a brand/model you'd recommend instead.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Cable Management / PSUs / nr200

Thanks; yeah somehow I forgot that I'd picked a case without an open side so it doesn't matter so much if there are loose unused cords bunched up. Will have a traipse through the PSU options and pick something else out later.

As for the NR200 I had not considered it as it's not showing with the Compatibility Filter on. Any idea why?
That case is lovely and I think it's probably a better option, if it's an option.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shear Modulus posted:

the xbox series x controller is definitely a step up in build quality vs the 360 controller and to a lesser extent the xbone one.

doesnt the steam controller have weird thumb trackpads instead of joysticks? that would get rid of the noise of the joysticks hitting the edge of the joystick slot

The Steam controller will have to be bought as new old stock from not Valve. They stopped selling it. The It has one thumbstick on the left side and while it is very customizable, the trackpads take some getting used to and some people swear by them. Also no Dpad so platformers would have to be played with the stick so YMMV.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Dear goons : I need a 750w power supply. Just a power supply, for now. I've not been keeping track of PSUs for the last couple years, what is most recommended right now?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

sarcastx posted:

I absolutely cannot - but it's one of those "go with what you know" things. I like the motherboard in my own PC so I went looking for a tiny version of it.
My fall-back brand used to be Gigabyte but that whole lovely PSUs fiasco from a few months back kinda soured me on them - do you have a suggestion/is there a goon consensus on decent Mini-ITX motherboards?

Most people in the SFF thread with the NR200 have the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AX ITX board as it does everything required of it and has mostly sensible design. It might be worth asking in that thread for some more specialist SFF recommendations if you wanted to go really small.

sarcastx posted:

Again I'm "partial" to Samsung SSDs and it doesn't look like going back to a 970 is going to save much cash, but again, I'm super open to suggestions if there's a brand/model you'd recommend instead.

Crucial P5 I guess? The SN550 used to be the standard recommendation until WD did some shenanigans recently and swapped out a component for a poorer quality one without changing the model number. It would still be fine for your dad-in-law's use case though.

sarcastx posted:

As for the NR200 I had not considered it as it's not showing with the Compatibility Filter on. Any idea why?
That case is lovely and I think it's probably a better option, if it's an option.

It needs an SFX PSU. If you were to go that route, Corsair do a 450W fully modular one which would be your best bet.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Most people in the SFF thread with the NR200 have the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AX ITX board as it does everything required of it and has mostly sensible design. It might be worth asking in that thread for some more specialist SFF recommendations if you wanted to go really small.

I have this MOBO too and can confirm it's a good one. I picked it up for $160 used and apart from the lovely LEDs I turned off, the features are great (perhaps even overkill)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
quite often in here we have chats about SSDs/HDDs and why we suggest sn550s, i found this from a recent hardware unboxed video and i thought it was quite illuminating, and consistent with my experience

for typical game loads and until technologies like direct storage and such take off this is pretty much my observation. nvmes are a littttle bit quicker but the nicest and least nice is barely a difference and there's still barely one with SATA SSDs even. but honestly even a dedicated HDD only adds 15-20 seconds - that's double in absolute terms but fifteen seconds to thirty is a pretty fair price/performance sweet spot. probably not ideal for a competitive game where you might crash and need to load in but totally fine for single player. decompressing stuff is a CPU heavy load, typically.

people get it really confused because they remember loading games from HDDs which could easily take a full minute or minutes. that's because back then your OS was also on that drive and routine read/writes it needs to do to function saturate enough of the connection that it really did make a big difference and took forever.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I just resurrected a tower I built in 2013, sitting in storage since 2018. It has:

Gigabyte Z77X UD3H mobo (link)

EVGA GTX 660

i5-3570

8 gigs DDR3 @ 1333

Seagate barracuda 7200

A huge dumbass heat sink

If I wanted to spend $100 or less making it feel a little more modern for the new D2 and Dark Souls 3, what should I add? I was thinking another stick of RAM and/or an SSD. All my knowledge is gone or dated so I'm not even sure the mobo would work with an SSD

Look at this loving thing

loopsheloop fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 29, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Honestly, I don't know if there's any one thing you can do for less than $100 that'll provide a significant improvement. If there is, then you're right that it might be a RAM upgrade, especially if you're currently only running a single stick. Something like this could be a decent improvement: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00453R90W?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

Replace your existing RAM with it instead of adding to it.

Also that's a baby heatsink by today's standards.

An SSD would also help. A lot of sluggishness of old machines was due to how slow HDDs were. The good thing about buying a new SSD is that, unlike DDR3, you can carry it over to future builds. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078211KBB?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

edit: changed out the SSD link for one that has dram cache

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 29, 2021

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Thanks for the advice. SSDs got a lot cheaper than they were when I was building this thing. The installed memory should be running at 1600, not 1366, so maybe I'll try figuring out how to bump that up and throwing in that Crucial and see how it goes.

As for that heatsink... Hope someone starts asking "why?" instead of "why not?"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

loopsheloop posted:

Thanks for the advice. SSDs got a lot cheaper than they were when I was building this thing. The installed memory should be running at 1600, not 1366, so maybe I'll try figuring out how to bump that up and throwing in that Crucial and see how it goes.

heatsinks are dissipating heat, so a larger surface area directly correlates to better performance is why. it's one of the few things in product design that I can think of where bigger is demonstrably, scientifically, always better.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

loopsheloop posted:

Look for the "XMP" setting in your BIOS, possibly somewhere around the memory overclocking stuff. That will load up the speed and timing profile that the manufacturer set for the RAM instead of using the system default.

Also I wasn't even joking with that cooler. It's the NH-D15, and it's legit legendary. The cooler your PC is currently using though, the Cooler Master Hyper 212, remains very popular budget cooler to this day.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

OK; so - after playing around with PCPP I've come up with two suggestions for FIL based on recommendations from Butterfly Valley et al:

1). Replace your current Mini-ITX box with something similarly small for $800
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V78VMv

2). Do you really need it to be Mini-ITX?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zzfWNP

Roast my builds!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

K8.0 posted:

Dear goons : I need a 750w power supply. Just a power supply, for now. I've not been keeping track of PSUs for the last couple years, what is most recommended right now?

Corsair RM750x probably, see https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html for more options. Tom's Hardware is not normally a place I'd go for hardware reviews but their PSU testing is really solid.

vanilla slimfast posted:

this owns, we need a new monitor thread OP and this should go in there

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

sarcastx posted:

OK; so - after playing around with PCPP I've come up with two suggestions for FIL based on recommendations from Butterfly Valley et al:

1). Replace your current Mini-ITX box with something similarly small for $800
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V78VMv

2). Do you really need it to be Mini-ITX?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zzfWNP

Roast my builds!

Sorry I should have specified, you want CL16 3600 speed RAM. Given what you're putting in there I'd say ITX absolutely makes sense and actually you could go even smaller (should you wish), hence me directing you to the other thread where maybe other people can weigh in with options. But switch the RAM to CL16 and I like your first build.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Last dumb questions (semi-related):

-What's the deal with Windows licensing these days? I thought there was a point where it was bound to some detected "unique fingerprint" of hardware combination where upgrades would cause you to have to call Microsoft to get re-activated. Now it's just bound to the motherboard, right?

-I have another machine at home that I want to upgrade the RAM in (Ryzen 5 3600 w/8GB @3200, which I think is the fastest it supports). Can I get 16GB @ 3600 and the memory will just run slower for the chip or will the machine not boot?