Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Babylon Babies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Riverdale Babylon

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Grand Fromage posted:

I was thinking Combs for Morden. He does that creepy vaguely threatening thing well.

Combs is good whatever you give him tho. And probably up for it.

Combs is almost too immediately creepy. Ed Wasser's Morden is so amazing because he seems so normal until suddenly he radiates "serial killer".

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Honestly, there’s no clearer present-day inheritor of the Jerry Doyle mantle than Adam Baldwin, loath as I am to admit it. The only reason he never wrote a book of his right-wing beliefs is probably because he can’t read very well.

Garibaldi is a stock schlub Italian cop character. There’s no shortage of performers who can take up that role.

G’Kar and Londo need underrated character actors, probably middle-aged, who are willing and able to perform under the prosthetics. I hope they can manage enough improvements to the Narn equipage to keep at least one woman willing to play a Narn regular. I want either a more central role for Na’Toth or G’Kar to be a woman. Or both!

Last request: if we get a Soul Hunter on the show, I want Mark Sheppard to play him.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Polaron posted:

Combs is almost too immediately creepy. Ed Wasser's Morden is so amazing because he seems so normal until suddenly he radiates "serial killer".

Actually, Wasser's really not that old. He could still do Morden, admittedly an older version of him.

E: and as far as Garibaldi goes, just cast Bruce Willis already.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like I've said before that it'd be really complicated to make a sequel series to bolt onto the end of Babylon 5, and a prequel series squeezed before it would have a lot of limitations or it would step on the toes of B5 too much, so the most viable way to get the IP back into the public eye to get rolling as a franchise would be to try remaking it.

A lot depends on what they do to remix the series, but also I'm not sure how well you can pull off the twists again, the most important one probably being how the Narn were the absolute villains of season 1, but later turned into the victims so that G'kar could have a revelation.

Polaron posted:

Yeah, I think he might give the game away too fast. Coombs was also in the original run of Babylon 5 playing bizarrely against type as the naive psy-corp member with a heart of gold trying to hit on Ivanova.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Let's hope he doesn't pull a Ron Moore and literally pull names out of a hat.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I always thought a prequel series could depict the Dilgar War. Setting it shortly before and then during the war would nicely lay the groundwork for showing Clark maneuvering into Santiago's VP slot, the slow roll that brought about the rise of fascism on Earth, etc.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

and as far as Garibaldi goes, just cast Bruce Willis already.

And Michael Imperioli as Morden

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Show is clearly doing well on HBO Max if this is really happening.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm also going to be a contrarian yet again, and say that I don't want the tone of a new show to be significantly different from the original. Seen a lot of posts about wanting it to be hornier, but I don't think it needs to be sexed up - or violenced up or grimdarked up either. It was enough of those things in the first place. The sex was understated but that's how most people live. The violence was never gory or graphic or anything. The situation became pretty bleak at times but they always operated from a stance of hope.

I think going full BSG would be a complete betrayal of the ideals presented in the original (much like the current Star Treks), and I'd be surprised if JMS went that route.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Riverdale Babylon

Winifred Madgers posted:

I'm also going to be a contrarian yet again, and say that I don't want the tone of a new show to be significantly different from the original. Seen a lot of posts about wanting it to be hornier, but I don't think it needs to be sexed up - or violenced up or grimdarked up either
People are just saying what they expect CW to do to it

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Winifred Madgers posted:

I'm also going to be a contrarian yet again, and say that I don't want the tone of a new show to be significantly different from the original. Seen a lot of posts about wanting it to be hornier

Babylon 5 was plenty horny though. G'Kar's fetish for humans, Londo's dick in full view, Ivanova having sex with an alien envoy, Sheridan and Delenn having to explore their erogenous zone while her caste listened..

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The United States posted:

JMS already told one network to suck his dick when they tried to sex up his show. I doubt that he is afraid to do it again.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Doctor Zero posted:

Actually, Wasser's really not that old. He could still do Morden, admittedly an older version of him.

E: and as far as Garibaldi goes, just cast Bruce Willis already.

lol if you think Bruce Willis actually shows up on set anymore. But they could hire his Authorized Official Deepfake Body Double I guess.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Winifred Madgers posted:

I'm also going to be a contrarian yet again, and say that I don't want the tone of a new show to be significantly different from the original. Seen a lot of posts about wanting it to be hornier, but I don't think it needs to be sexed up

It's not about wanting. It's about expecting because of this revival being on The CW, and Everything On The CW is Incredibly Horny And For Teens is just, like... the brand.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Babylon 5: The Next Generation

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

adhuin posted:

Winner.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Winifred Madgers posted:

I think going full BSG would be a complete betrayal of the ideals presented in the original (much like the current Star Treks), and I'd be surprised if JMS went that route.

Knowing JMS, my guess is it will mostly stick to the original script for a while before he throws a few major curveballs the original viewers would not expect.

Iymarra posted:

Can you imagine

Earth Senator played by Claudia Christian
President Santiago Bruce Boxleitner
Emperor Turhan Peter Jurasik..

God.

I am on board with the first and third, but the second? I always thought Santiago was, uh... kind of not good/ineffective?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
In honor of the original casting, the part of Garibaldi will go to Joe Rogan.

The Real Babylon 5

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

In honor of the original casting, the part of Garibaldi will go to Joe Rogan.

The Real Babylon 5

The Real Bab-5s of Epsilon Eridani

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
If the original B5 was a docudrama put on by the IBS, the Anla'Shok and viewers like you, it will be fun to see it reimagined as a teen drama.

Is there, like, a Jonas Brother or big Broadway star that washed out due to substance abuse? Seems like they'd be a great fit for Zack.

Alex Jones as Garibaldi would be amazing, though if they are going to give money to bad people I feel like Ben Shapiro would make an *amazing* Mr. Morden. He's obviously slimey and evil. However, at first you think he's just pathetic but the more he talks the more that "serial killer" energy grows and grows. He's still a pathetic servant but he is a deranged pathetic servant.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The Real Babylon 5

Slimer and The Real Babylon 5

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I'm not sure why people are so worried about this being on the CW given that's where it started :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If they wanted to just make another standard CW-type show about young people having angst and sex but this time in space, I'd think they'd have better IP to pull out of the Warner Brothers catalog. Something that doesn't have a grumpy creator to manuever with and isn't built around such a mature high-concept as galactic politics. I don't think B5 ever had a single teenager, much less a reason why a significant amount of them would be on the station.

Although maybe the CW people would be able to more naturally drop in the horny than JMS did in the original.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

The United States posted:

I expect CW to tell JMS he can make his show... if there is a special musical guest each week.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

If they wanted to just make another standard CW-type show about young people having angst and sex but this time in space, I'd think they'd have better IP to pull out of the Warner Brothers catalog. Something that doesn't have a grumpy creator to manuever with and isn't built around such a mature high-concept as galactic politics. I don't think B5 ever had a single teenager, much less a reason why a significant amount of them would be on the station.

Although maybe the CW people would be able to more naturally drop in the horny than JMS did in the original.

Well...B5 had one kid on it.

Once.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Legacies had a teenager who didn't die.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

adhuin posted:

:mods:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SlothfulCobra posted:

If they wanted to just make another standard CW-type show about young people having angst and sex but this time in space
They already had one of those

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAAYRbM7I7c

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I'm watching Rumors Bargins and Lies and the beginning breakfast scene is gonna be the go-to set piece for the CW show. The Army of Light will meet there and drink Boba Tea. Occasionally Sheridan will shout "Shadow Boxing" and all the other characters will freeze, fade into silhouette and then Sheridan will talk directly to the audience about what he hopes to learn today.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CainFortea posted:

Well...B5 had one kid on it.

Once.

Two, the little Markab girl who couldn't find her parents.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Slimer and The Real Babylon 5

Babylon 5, You've Changed

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

mllaneza posted:

She’s a Markab.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope the monologue from season one is included unchanged. I would accept a recording from one of the new cast members or the original.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Speaking of things that B5 eerily predicted, looking forward to the Markab getting more gravitas.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Holy poo poo Episode 10 of Season 3 is loving intense! this isn't even a mid season finale. Shits going out of control!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hollismason posted:

Holy poo poo Episode 10 of Season 3 is loving intense! this isn't even a mid season finale. Shits going out of control!

That may be the best episode of the series. Not to say the stuff following is bad, but man Severed Dreams is so good. All time great of any show, really.

I've watched it so many times I can probably quote the entire episode from memory.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

That may be the best episode of the series. Not to say the stuff following is bad, but man Severed Dreams is so good. All time great of any show, really.

I've watched it so many times I can probably quote the entire episode from memory.

Nothing in the show tops sleeping in light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The episode with the Markabs essentially committing self-genocide because they refuse to believe the truth about a disease is over 25 years old and if they did it again today people would lose their poo poo on them for being "political" and it would be just glorious to watch unfold. Of all the things to change, remaking that episode and keeping to the original plot would be amazing.

I never read or heard anything about the background for that episode, but the context in the mid 90s make me think that AIDS was likely a factor in writing the story.