Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

bessantj posted:

Watching an episode of Elementary and apparently this was checkmate:

Is it not? The black king is checked by both the white queen and knight and can't escape both at once, nor can a black piece block/capture both at once as far as I can see

E: I mean, black got hard wrecked but that happens to the best of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

thats the kind of checkmate that happens between two kids playing the game for the first time

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Yeah that's checkmate.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stexils posted:

thats the kind of checkmate that happens between two kids playing the game for the first time

Scholar's mate can happen to anyone, especially to people who think they're too smart to fall for it; it's a very Dunning-Kruger way to get your rear end handed to you

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Evilreaver posted:

Is it not? The black king is checked by both the white queen and knight and can't escape both at once, nor can a black piece block/capture both at once as far as I can see

E: I mean, black got hard wrecked but that happens to the best of us

It is, it was more "imagine that game."

EDIT: Could be one of those "funnier to me than anyone else" moments.

bessantj has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Sep 28, 2021

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Looks like checkmate to me?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

Scholar's mate can happen to anyone, especially to people who think they're too smart to fall for it; it's a very Dunning-Kruger way to get your rear end handed to you

e: nv

Stexils has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Sep 28, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

the absolute fuckibg state of this chess game. loving bullshit

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm no chessman, but I don't think it's possible to get double checked by any legal move outside of some kind of castling nonsense.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bug Squash posted:

I'm no chessman, but I don't think it's possible to get double checked by any legal move outside of some kind of castling nonsense.

the knight could have been in the queen's way; moving the knight forward to check the king lets the queen check

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Bug Squash posted:

Simple example:
code:
[K][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][x]
[N][ ][ ]
[Q][ ][ ]
That knight (N) can move to the x to expose the check from the queen while placing the king in check itself

chglcu has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Sep 28, 2021

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
White played like a competent beginner. They developed their knights, got the queen on the 2 row, didn't overdevelop one piece. Black played like a child who just learned how pieces move, charging their bishop unsupported then immediately trading it for a less developed piece.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

P sure the white king is fine, guys.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cocaine Bear posted:

Are we still talking about chess?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Cocaine Bear posted:

:wrong: he has diabetes.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
The white king had a heart attack on the toilet.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bug Squash posted:

double checks, like throwing car batteries into the ocean, are a real thrill and perfectly legal; here is an example of how that game might have gone

https://lichess.org/OWg2GHdN

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

chglcu posted:

Simple example:
code:
[K][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][x]
[N][ ][ ]
[Q][ ][ ]
That knight (N) can move to the x to expose the check from the queen while placing the king in check itself

Ah poo poo yeah, sorry all.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Sorry, i didn't follow any of that. Why can't the king just move like two spaces diagonally?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
"Although the King is the most important piece on the board, he moves very slowly. He can only move one square in any direction: forward, backward, left, right, or diagonally."

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
If I were the king I would simply step off from the chess board and dominate my enemies from afar

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Who made that idiot king

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Why does the king, the largest piece, not simply eat the other pieces?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

victory in chess comes from a fat idiot monarch surviving alone the mutual annihilation of two armies. chess warned us about world war 1 but we were too arrogant to listen

The General
Mar 4, 2007

https://youtu.be/YgeYScYe8wI

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Is it not? Queen can take the king, same if it moves forward, moving diagonal is at risk from the knight. Knight already had the king, so blocking the queen won't do anything, and ditto for taking either the queen or knight

E: behold me not seeing that another page exists

VVV: I'll have to remember that maneuver for my next game

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 00:41 on Sep 29, 2021

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2xNlzsnPCQ

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Black queen could move to block white queen though couldn't they?

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

Spyderizer posted:

Black queen could move to block white queen though couldn't they?

And the knight would take king

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

White knight should just call an audible.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I don't see anything. Is there something I'm missing?

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/Skweezy/status/1442912146178777092

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

drat horror queefs posted:

If I were the king I would simply step off from the chess board and dominate my enemies from afar

Yeah, the first move should be to send the royals into exile and wage a guerilla war against the occupying forces.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

double checks, like throwing car batteries into the ocean, are a real thrill and perfectly legal; here is an example of how that game might have gone

https://lichess.org/OWg2GHdN

Please don't promote lich propaganda.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

"Although the King is the most important piece on the board, he moves very slowly. He can only move one square in any direction: forward, backward, left, right, or diagonally."

As a kid I always assumed this was meant to represent the fact that kings were always wearing lots of jewelry and those big heavy capes. :kiddo:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pastry of the Year posted:

As a kid I always assumed this was meant to represent the fact that kings were always wearing lots of jewelry and those big heavy capes. :kiddo:

Also gout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Second to last is 100% real btw.