Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if they play for a while they also get to stack up some truly great free weapons and characters too

big f to 2.2 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
There's plenty of f2p posters in this thread who are doing quite well. What's a terrible f2p experience? Not having all the characters you want?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
this really is the backlash from baby's first gacha

I remember the absolute meltdowns that happened from FGO global's first major waifu banner (Halloween, Tamamo), and it was glorious and tragic at the same time.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

man im so pumped for them announcing a third childe rerun and a free xinyan this weekend

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Radical posted:

man im so pumped for them announcing a third childe rerun and a free xinyan this weekend

this but the one caveat that it's a Thoma/Childe banner

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hazdoc posted:

this really is the backlash from baby's first gacha

yeah basically. same with all the character balance stuff. every other gacha releases terrible characters all the time and nobody gives a poo poo.

i think both that and the anni rewards drama stems from how comparatively high effort each genshin character feels. but ultimately theyre still just an attack string, a skill, a burst, and some voice lines built on top of one of the six character models they already have.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the real annoying bit will be if this event ends with a free 4* or 5* or something and everyone parades about how review bombing worked instead of it being the plan the whole time.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I want that second Childe rerun and I mean it sincerely.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Endorph posted:

also the real annoying bit will be if this event ends with a free 4* or 5* or something and everyone parades about how review bombing worked instead of it being the plan the whole time.

We did it reddit!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YoshiOfYellow posted:

(...)When you do finally have a sizable amount of primos saved up you still face a 50/50 chance of actually getting the character you want unless the pity is already lined up.(...)

Seen F2P people roll C6 Ayaka with saved up primos, so... it's about priorities, I guess. The world exploration and event rewards are in no way tiny.

In your sentence above, the most important word is "want". I don't want Diluc, for example, and I want other units. But is that actually relevant, when you could use any unit in the game anyway? Or is that just what the game's monetization stands on anyway, people perceiving not-important stuff as important?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

in honor of free xinyan, let's enjoy some xinyan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnJDVH6tcFg

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

No Wave posted:

IS it completely terrible? It's 55 wishes per patch vs 80.

Admittedly I'd have to go back and examine past events & rewards for an exact number but that seems like an overestimation.

If we call a patch cycle 40 days as is usual you are only getting 2400 primos from daily commissions, or about 15 pulls. So by your estimation the events in a patch cycle would equal out to about 6400 primos, which I'm skeptical to say is the case.

BabyRyoga posted:

I still contend that everyone is wrong in this case.

Genshin is a bad game that is psychologically addictive
Genshin's devs suck and are not generous
Gacha games suck in general
Whiny player bases that don't realize they are actually being victimized both suck and are funny to watch
Not understanding how a whole genre of games works is funny to watch

Yes basically every gacha game is just a thinly veiled slot machine. Gachas from the ground up are made to part people with money and you can pretty up the game build around it a ton and make it fun to play and stuff but everything is still going to subtly encourage the player to spend money as much as they can get away with. Some gacha games are just less awful about it to a degree that free players can manage better.

gandlethorpe posted:

There's plenty of f2p posters in this thread who are doing quite well. What's a terrible f2p experience? Not having all the characters you want?

As I recall there's been a number of people in here who went a *very* long time without staple characters like Xingqiu or Bennett because the gacha hosed them over. Plus if a new player is saving up for a 5* in particular they are gonna be stuck with the freebies for a long time. Xiangling is great and Barbara is passable for awhile but beyond that you are stuck working with a lot of terrible characters because you don't get characters if you aren't pulling. The trickle of standard banner pulls is pretty small as well outside the monthly starglitter... which is another thing a person won't have if they aren't pulling. Like yeah sure even the freebies work fine in most content because outside Abyss nothing is overly crazy difficult but it's still an issue. It's a believable scenario where someone saved up for Ayaka, got her, and then found every single resource out there pairing her with Xingqiu and not having him because he wasn't featured and they got screwed on past gacha outings. A lot of this depends on how long a person has been playing naturally and longer time players will run into this less but it's gonna be a problem for free players regardless that there's gonna be 4*s they just don't have because of skimpy resources and gacha mechanics.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Gouba is the fire stove god

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

As I recall there's been a number of people in here who went a *very* long time without staple characters like Xingqiu or Bennett because the gacha hosed them over.
I mean, shop characters exist. It's possible to come in at a bad time for that but still.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
iunno, the apex aspirational content in genshin, abyss 12F 9*, is 100% achievable to players with normal skill levels and normal time spent who are totally f2p. that's actually pretty rare for gacha rpgs.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Tae posted:

Gouba is the fire stove god

Nah it's gonna be Xiao.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

iunno, the apex aspirational content in genshin, abyss 12F 9*, is 100% achievable to players with normal skill levels and normal time spent who are totally f2p. that's actually pretty rare for gacha rpgs.
I mean every gacha rpg ive played has that be true.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is it? Pretty much any game with PVP or PVE racing for loot is going to be disqualified just on face value and I feel like that's pretty much all of the big ones on the market except for FGO and maybe Arknights (depending on what you think about doing high risk levels just for the hell of it). Maybe I just lucked into playing all the messed-up ones?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

As I recall there's been a number of people in here who went a *very* long time without staple characters like Xingqiu or Bennett because the gacha hosed them over. Plus if a new player is saving up for a 5* in particular they are gonna be stuck with the freebies for a long time. Xiangling is great and Barbara is passable for awhile but beyond that you are stuck working with a lot of terrible characters because you don't get characters if you aren't pulling. The trickle of standard banner pulls is pretty small as well outside the monthly starglitter... which is another thing a person won't have if they aren't pulling. Like yeah sure even the freebies work fine in most content because outside Abyss nothing is overly crazy difficult but it's still an issue. It's a believable scenario where someone saved up for Ayaka, got her, and then found every single resource out there pairing her with Xingqiu and not having him because he wasn't featured and they got screwed on past gacha outings. A lot of this depends on how long a person has been playing naturally and longer time players will run into this less but it's gonna be a problem for free players regardless that there's gonna be 4*s they just don't have because of skimpy resources and gacha mechanics.

So just to be clear, "terrible f2p experience" means people who are hoarding their wishes through their own will aren't able to get the specific characters they want when convenient?

And also the reason they want that specific character and not the free one that replaces them just fine in most content is because of a thing that gets you not even 10 wishes a month?

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug
A latecomer to the linksharing:

Qiqi was my best companion: she was with me for 246 domains.

Enter your Anniversary Theater https://webstatic-sea.mihoyo.com/ys...een#/GB49IIMK6N

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i actually thought being f2p would be pretty rough in this game with the pity at 90 and potentially needing to hit it twice but we found out they couldn't actually maintain a 2 character/patch rate, and that the pity is realistically much lower than 90. in reality the game is infinitely more generous than honkai was in year one.

part of the challenge with making an "open world mobile game" is that the actual amount of rolls you're getting per patch is a bit hard to grasp because of them being spread out across a bunch of different content, and i wonder if just making it a bit more obvious would actually earn them a bit more good will. personally i wouldn't have guessed 55~ off the top of my head, but looking at the math now it does seem to check out.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i seem to recall someone on discord saying that amortized over the game's entire lifespan, the f2p player has gotten something like 1.5 pulls per day on average, if they stripmined the world and was also 36* clearing abyss from the beginning, which is admittedly not realistic.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Admittedly I'd have to go back and examine past events & rewards for an exact number but that seems like an overestimation.

If we call a patch cycle 40 days as is usual you are only getting 2400 primos from daily commissions, or about 15 pulls. So by your estimation the events in a patch cycle would equal out to about 6400 primos, which I'm skeptical to say is the case.

No idea if this is how they got to that number, but you failed to account for the monthly stardust wishes and the 5 standards from the free tier of the BP.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

i seem to recall someone on discord saying that amortized over the game's entire lifespan, the f2p player has gotten something like 1.5 pulls per day on average, if they stripmined the world and was also 36* clearing abyss from the beginning, which is admittedly not realistic.

here is some data i found that someone had already compiled. i went with about 55~ on my post based on this just because i think the "reasonable" amount is a bit lower, but i was also considering some amount of abyss income (the spreadsheet separates this out.)

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Is there a guide to how to optimally get all the collectibles for the fish claymore?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Boat Stuck posted:

Is there a guide to how to optimally get all the collectibles for the fish claymore?

Get to 80% or higher on your own then ask for hints.

You can also ask for hints on upcoming days to fill in gaps.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

gandlethorpe posted:

So just to be clear, "terrible f2p experience" means people who are hoarding their wishes through their own will aren't able to get the specific characters they want when convenient?

And also the reason they want that specific character and not the free one that replaces them just fine in most content is because of a thing that gets you not even 10 wishes a month?

Fair enough but I also recall you not getting Chongyun constellations for awhile despite pumping quite a lot of wishes into one of his banners early on so it's not as if the scenario of getting hosed on the gacha is out of the question.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i pretty much cant say a single nice thing about how the system works for 4 stars

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they need to make the shop cheaper and rotate more. having a xingqiu is basically mandatory

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm gonna keep asking for 4* Epitomized Path :thumbsup:

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

If we're grousing about the gacha, separating banners for 5* characters and 5* weapons is just evil. But that's how it goes.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I think one of the more frustrating aspects of gacha in this game compared to others is the fact that other games will drown you in a couple hundred characters to potentially acquire, but a ten-pull is: ten characters.

Here it is one, maybe zero (4* weapon). I understand that this game doesn't have a billion characters (only having 4/5 rarity instead of starting lower and going higher certainly helps with this, and I'm definitely ok with it compared to the alternative), but I could see that being something that bothers people at first, just getting drowned in 3* trash weapons while they're chasing characters.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Anyways I wasn't trying to stir poo poo just for the sake of it and clearly people disagree with my viewpoint here but ultimately I feel like most gacha games could stand to be more generous. Gachas are predatory bullshit and we've seen enough of Genshin's profit figures to know they make absurd amounts of money with every banner, even the bad ones. It would barely dent them to hand out more substantial rewards to entice new players and reward longtime players.

Traveller posted:

If we're grousing about the gacha, separating banners for 5* characters and 5* weapons is just evil. But that's how it goes.

And ultimately this is the bigger point. Numerous people have made the point that "this is just because it's the first gacha game people have played they all do this" and like.... yeah? Sure? Just because all gacha games are terrible doesn't mean people aren't justified in feeling angry at the system.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Traveller posted:

I promise, going to pity twice and getting the banner weapon instead of the character you saved up for would not feel good.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

they need to make the shop cheaper and rotate more. having a xingqiu is basically mandatory

Every time I see "having XQ/Bennett/ZL is mandatory" I die inside a little bit.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
ok, I gotta say, the troll art people are submitting to the contest is brilliant and I approve of this sort of protest 100%

burn it all down rah rah etc

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
I'm totally f2p and... if you just packaged my Genshin experience and shipped it as a $20 game, it'd be an INSANE deal. 20+ unique characters! Massive, gorgeous open world! Full English voice acting! Complex, entertaining, fast-paced combat system!

But drop the price to $0 and say you only get to play 25 characters out of a possible 40, and for some reason now it's a huge ripoff by a greedy multi-billion dollar Chinese company.

Overall, I've totally enjoyed the F2P experience. But I guess you need to have the right mindset for it? I treat it like a roguelike - I love making the most out of what I'm given and being creative and finding solid teams out of the somewhat limited number of characters I have access to. I'd say I've been able to pull 1/3 of the banner 5*'s while I've been playing, which is WAY more than enough to have fun with the game.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Fair enough but I also recall you not getting Chongyun constellations for awhile despite pumping quite a lot of wishes into one of his banners early on so it's not as if the scenario of getting hosed on the gacha is out of the question.

I also pulled C0 on my second day play. Gacha giveth, gacha taketh (or rather denieth)

Still, that was more of an annoyance than the game suddenly becoming a terrible experience. With less brainworms, I would've become a C6 Xinyan main

The more dickish part was that Chongyun wasn't/isn't part of the starglitter rotation, but what're you gonna do?

Anyway, this is my first and likely only gacha game and I accepted pretty quickly I'm not getting everything I want immediately, or even ever

Also, I can't stress enough how much of the game's value and enjoyment is completely independent from the gacha

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Every time I see "having XQ/Bennett/ZL is mandatory" I die inside a little bit.
okay, 'mandatory,' no, 'extremely convenient and makes teambuilding a lot easier,' yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007

Endorph posted:

You got to admit that they caved for Zhongli so it might.