Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

What tire rode worse than a marathon plus? A tank tread?

Marathon Plus with Studs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What tire rode worse than a marathon plus? A tank tread?
literal garden hose, and whatever comes on big box store bikes.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

iospace posted:

So fun to ride though

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Well poop. Every time I check the forecast, it looks a little worse.

Best chance is a day with scattered showers, or next weekend. I wish Wednesday wasn't my big meetings day, because I'd call off.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
well i just went to the bike shop and bought and installed the second marathon

bliss!

I'm donating another bike to a bike kitchen and am towing it about 10km on the local bikeways into the city so so it will be nice to have that confidence and slightly less rolling resistance

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

What say you goons?

Is wiggly feet, a cassette, and no calibrations worth $100 in a direct drive trainer???

I cannot make a decision on my own!!!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

iospace posted:

Marathon Minus.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

gamera009 posted:

What say you goons?

Is wiggly feet, a cassette, and no calibrations worth $100 in a direct drive trainer???

I cannot make a decision on my own!!!

AXIS feet are a joke...basically useless. A cassette would normally be worth some amount of money, but KICKRs come with a lovely Sunrace cassette that won't mesh well with your regardless of wear. No calibrations is OK, but not life changing. You don't often need to spindown a direct-drive trainer unless you took off your bike, moved it, or left it sitting for months.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Is there some trick to calibrating Garmin pedals? I think mine fail cal at least 80% of the time and I haven’t noticed any common trend for when they finally pass. The error codes, in standard Garmin fashion, are loving useless.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

quote:

Bicycle Megathread 5: Pee is stored in the tubes

I am a little late, but: :sickos:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

resident posted:

Is there some trick to calibrating Garmin pedals? I think mine fail cal at least 80% of the time and I haven’t noticed any common trend for when they finally pass. The error codes, in standard Garmin fashion, are loving useless.

Almost perfectly upright and at 3/9 o'clock. Make sure to do it quickly after giving the pedals a spin because the right pedal goes to sleep very quickly afterward.

Also set your Garmin Edge computer to prompt for calibration when it first detects the pedals, that way you won't have to menu dive to do it.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
how accurate are 20 minute zwift ftp tests, typically? I just did my first and it'll at least work well as a yardstick, I suppose, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think and/or have experienced

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
What do you mean by how accurate?

Your first FTP test is never a true reflection of your current fitness because you never actually know how to ride one properly to get a true reading. You'll get better at doing them and the results will be closer to your real FTP, but a 20 minute test is never going to replicate an hour of suffering.

If you mean 'accurate to outdoors' well that depends on many many factors like if you have a power meter, was the trainer calibrated correctly etc.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
That's what I meant, yeah, sorry. I should've also specified that I used the power meter in my KICKR Core and that I'm specifically interested in that thing's accuracy relative to power gauging alternatives out there. Or the accuracy of Zwift in conjuction with the KICKR Core in relation to alternatives. I'm not sure if that makes sense, apologies if it doesn't

In my head my trainer and Zwift are so inextricably linked that I kind of forgot there's different ways to Zwift, oops

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
As long as you look after the Kickr it will be reasonably accurate to itself and thats all you really need a power meter to be. I don't really care if one says I'm doing 200w and another says 210, just that when I'm doing the same effort it gives me the same reading every time.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Lex Neville posted:

how accurate are 20 minute zwift ftp tests, typically? I just did my first and it'll at least work well as a yardstick, I suppose, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think and/or have experienced

You should probably just be ramp testing.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Lex Neville posted:

FTP is different for everyone. For example, it’s 35min duration for some, 70min for others. It could be 95% of your 20min for X minutes, it could be 92%.

Like others have stated, I would do a couple of ramp tests and then some time later try to hold that FTP value divided by 0.95 during a 20min test. That won’t tell you what your FTP is, but at least you’ll know what your can or cannot do for 20min.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Lex Neville posted:

That's what I meant, yeah, sorry. I should've also specified that I used the power meter in my KICKR Core and that I'm specifically interested in that thing's accuracy relative to power gauging alternatives out there. Or the accuracy of Zwift in conjuction with the KICKR Core in relation to alternatives. I'm not sure if that makes sense, apologies if it doesn't

In my head my trainer and Zwift are so inextricably linked that I kind of forgot there's different ways to Zwift, oops

Your kickr core is probably accurate to within +/- 2% or so.
A perfectly executed 20 minute test is likely accurate at estimating true FTP within +/- 12% or so.
A poorly executed 20 minute test is likely accurate at estimate true FTP within +/- 30% or so.

And at the end of the day, while having a high FTP is good, knowing that FTP is far less important for informing the training most people should be doing than all the apps want to tell you.

So: if you're happy with the number you got from the test, it is good. If you are unhappy with the number, gently caress it, make up a number that makes you feel good because it's about as accurate anyway. If all else fails, pick the FTP of your favorite riding buddy and add 10 watts.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

bicievino posted:

Your kickr core is probably accurate to within +/- 2% or so.
A perfectly executed 20 minute test is likely accurate at estimating true FTP within +/- 12% or so.
A poorly executed 20 minute test is likely accurate at estimate true FTP within +/- 30% or so.

And at the end of the day, while having a high FTP is good, knowing that FTP is far less important for informing the training most people should be doing than all the apps want to tell you.

So: if you're happy with the number you got from the test, it is good. If you are unhappy with the number, gently caress it, make up a number that makes you feel good because it's about as accurate anyway. If all else fails, pick the FTP of your favorite riding buddy and add 10 watts.

🆗 but how do I download the :filez:

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Zwift FTP testing made EZ: Just jump into a Crit City and do your best to stick with the lead group or get back to them for the entire race.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

BeastPussy posted:

Zwift FTP testing made EZ: Just jump into a Crit City and do your best to stick with the lead group or get back to them for the entire race.

This works wonders

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

My 60 min power last summer was 330 watts and 37.5 km on public streets on my deep carbon road bike. I wish I was racing last summer but it was all solo poo poo to keep sane and I guess it worked.

My fitness this year was different. More back packing, more moto, not much roadie training and only showing up for CX races. I kinda miss being that fast on the bike. Always next year.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I traded CX for duck hunting and my hours shifted at work to where I can't crank out multiple 100k rides a week and ya, :same:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
My FTP is down like 100W on 6 months ago but then again there was that major accident in the middle

Also I like 8 minute tests, I find it difficult to get the motivation to go balls to the wall in a 20 minute test unless it's a race and they get very similar results for me (ymmv)

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Thanks everyone for the responses :) A lot of useful info to take in. I'll do the ramp tests as well in a few days, if only out of curiosity.

My execution could've definitely been a bit better, because as the graph below shows my power rose a fair amount in the last 5 minutes. I realized I had a bit extra left in the tank (though I definitely didn't have much left after the 20 minutes were up). I knew it'd start me off too low too, because the starting point for the 20 minutes was the usual 110% of the FTP it calculated when I first set up Zwift, which was the first time I got on my bike after my injury, about three weeks ago. Anyway, I actually enjoyed taking the test and I'm happy to at least have a number from which to build over the next few months, during which time I'll definitely put some of the stuff you all have recommended into practice.

How is your recovery going by the way, MrL_JaKiri? The list of injuries you posted at the time sounded horrible, but I'm reading between the lines that you're back on your bike? It happened only a couple of months ago, didn't it?

TobinHatesYou posted:

FTP is different for everyone. For example, it’s 35min duration for some, 70min for others. It could be 95% of your 20min for X minutes, it could be 92%.

Like others have stated, I would do a couple of ramp tests and then some time later try to hold that FTP value divided by 0.95 during a 20min test. That won’t tell you what your FTP is, but at least you’ll know what your can or cannot do for 20min.

Before I forget to ask, divided by 0.95 or multiplied? I mean, you clearly said one but... just making sure :)

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 30, 2021

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I got a new job and some HED3 trispoke 10 speed clinchers popped up on FB marketplace and I'm sorely tempted despite having no need for them whatsoever, both having servicable road wheels and not having any racing/TTs nearby at all (and not being strong enough to get benefits anyway, probs). My sister in law even lives in the same town where they're listed, so I might even be able to avoid shipping. On the other hand, I'm not certain HED ever actually made these wheels in anything but tubulars, so maybe they're fakes?

Please talk me out of the cool whooshy noise wheels.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

cool whooshy noise wheels.
wow those sound great

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I did the 20 min FTP test and it told me it was like 175 wats, a few days ago I a training workout doing two 20 minute intervals at FTP and i was able to do it and the only struggle i had was pedaling smoothly at 70-80+ RPMS.

Speaking of pedaling smoothly I have a butt bouncing problem when I go above 100 RPMs, i have raised and lowered my saddle so i am at a lost.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lex Neville posted:

How is your recovery going by the way, MrL_JaKiri? The list of injuries you posted at the time sounded horrible, but I'm reading between the lines that you're back on your bike? It happened only a couple of months ago, didn't it?

Just over 2 1/2 months ago. Been back on the bike since the bones were predicted to have healed (so about 8 weeks on from the accident), albeit starting with like 10-15 minute loops. Did my longest ride so far yesterday, around 70km, so definitely getting there but all my support muscles have taken an absolute pounding so being out and about can get super tiring.

Been doing some light weights + core to help build things up, but it's still awfully slow. The weather turning to poo poo after the time I was out being glorious hasn't helped either.

Lex Neville posted:

Before I forget to ask, divided by 0.95 or multiplied? I mean, you clearly said one but... just making sure :)

20 minute pace x 0.95 (or similar) = FTP, 20 minute pace = FTP/0.95. If you reread the post, Tobin is starting from different measurements.

Some places make the mistake of thinking that something like 90% x 110% = 100%, but the difference is pretty small and only worth mentioning if it rounds up your FTP to something nice.

ElMaligno posted:

Speaking of pedaling smoothly I have a butt bouncing problem when I go above 100 RPMs, i have raised and lowered my saddle so i am at a lost.

Do more core work

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 30, 2021

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Just over 2 1/2 months ago. Been back on the bike since the bones were predicted to have healed (so about 8 weeks on from the accident), albeit starting with like 10-15 minute loops. Did my longest ride so far yesterday, around 70km, so definitely getting there but all my support muscles have taken an absolute pounding so being out and about can get super tiring.

Been doing some light weights + core to help build things up, but it's still awfully slow. The weather turning to poo poo after the time I was out being glorious hasn't helped either.

20 minute pace x 0.95 (or similar) = FTP, 20 minute pace = FTP/0.95. If you reread the post, Tobin is starting from different measurements.

Some places make the mistake of thinking that something like 90% x 110% = 100%, but the difference is pretty small and only worth mentioning if it rounds up your FTP to something nice.

"The weather turning to poo poo after the time I was out being glorious hasn't helped either." I can imagine. For me personally (NB: my injury was peanuts in comparison), I think the novelty of riding virtually made a huge difference in my eagerness to work my way back up. Still, from what you wrote back in July, I wouldn't have expected anyone to be able to ride a road bike again 8 weeks tbh. Sorry to hear it feels like it's going slowly, though.

Thanks for the clarification re: the equation. My 20 minute average * 0,95 is exactly what Zwift listed as my FTP, haha. I hadn't realized.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I got a new job and some HED3 trispoke 10 speed clinchers popped up on FB marketplace and I'm sorely tempted despite having no need for them whatsoever, both having servicable road wheels and not having any racing/TTs nearby at all (and not being strong enough to get benefits anyway, probs). My sister in law even lives in the same town where they're listed, so I might even be able to avoid shipping. On the other hand, I'm not certain HED ever actually made these wheels in anything but tubulars, so maybe they're fakes?

Please talk me out of the cool whooshy noise wheels.

Don't buy the old HED trispokes.
HED did make clincher trispokes of its wider new version (the GT3), named the H3+. If they're the HED H3+ (which was only made from like... 2016-2017), then they are good, but those old HED trispokes are designed around a 21mm tire.

Alternatively, if you want a modern trispoke that is fast as gently caress, the Light Bicycle trispoke based on the Revolver design can be got in clincher, and is a very good value price.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I was doing a grocery run yesterday and had some massive bike envy toward gravel/commuter/road bikes

I was loaded up to the nines with a couple kilos of groceries, so I wasnt expecting much

But just being constantly over taken by Thin tire-ed commuters effortlessly accelerating past me for sure makes me wanna find an old race bike for cheap and do it up so I can get to places faster than my 15kph average

Ute vs sports car kinda deal

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Jestery posted:

I was doing a grocery run yesterday and had some massive bike envy toward gravel/commuter/road bikes

I was loaded up to the nines with a couple kilos of groceries, so I wasnt expecting much

But just being constantly over taken by Thin tire-ed commuters effortlessly accelerating past me for sure makes me wanna find an old race bike for cheap and do it up so I can get to places faster than my 15kph average

:yeshaha:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone got a hot tip on how to get the outside of my bottles clean? They take a beating on gravel and mtb and seem permanently covered in brown dirt no matter how much I scrub.

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:

Anyone got a hot tip on how to get the outside of my bottles clean? They take a beating on gravel and mtb and seem permanently covered in brown dirt no matter how much I scrub.

At some point you just toss them and buy new bottles.

e: I realize that's not helpful if you really want to clean them and I have no advice for that so I guess this was a bad post

colonel tom fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 30, 2021

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Jestery posted:

gettin on bike is not about being fast...

its all about being on bike.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Oh for sure, I'm happy with my cruiser cum cargo bike

Just might pop I to my local bike kitchen and see if there is a race bike for sale at some point if this envy continues to niggle

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If scrubbing with a stiff bristled brush isn't doing it for you, I'd try taking a scotchbrite pad to them. That'll probably remove all of the dirt but maybe a little plastic too.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Lex Neville posted:

I'm saying do a ramp test to get your first taste of "FTP." This will be your best 60s power mulitplied by .75. Take that value and divide it by .95...try to hold that for 20min.

This isn't to find out what is more accurate...I'm just curious as to whether you can hold the ramp test estimated FTP/.95 for 20min. In most cases I would guess not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

bicievino posted:

Don't buy the old HED trispokes.
HED did make clincher trispokes of its wider new version (the GT3), named the H3+. If they're the HED H3+ (which was only made from like... 2016-2017), then they are good, but those old HED trispokes are designed around a 21mm tire.

Alternatively, if you want a modern trispoke that is fast as gently caress, the Light Bicycle trispoke based on the Revolver design can be got in clincher, and is a very good value price.

That's a very good point, thanks! They're very certainly the older ones, from what I can gather ~2010 based on decals.

I'm not dead set on trispokes or even new wheels at all, I just like how trispokes, deep rims, and other aero designs look. I don't really need anything special to cruise around rural highways, but a part of me will always want that sick look and the price is right on this set (assuming they're real. The "3" decal is missing and the other decals look taller than those in other pics I can find with that decal style.)