Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Who else thinks Matt tailored his FJ wager on Friday so he'd hit $1m while also getting a palindrome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

That was the plan all along, and that's why he never corrected that trailing 1 in his total winnings.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Emma might be the giant-killer with the best streak afterwards though, there's a real trend of upset winners going on to get trounced the next game unfortunately.

wow, i didn't know Victoria Groce was the one who beat Dave Madden, she might legitimately be the best trivia player on the planet right now. that's a trip

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Island Nation posted:

The details are a bit fuzzy but I'll try:

Ken whiffed on Final since he did his own taxes (Final was 90% of this company's employees only work 4 months). Nancy Zerg (who beat him) lost the next day

James got outplayed by Emma by doing his strategy. She won three games, Qualified for the TOC, met up again and split two games. He won due to a massive total in game 1

James also hit the Daily Double on the very first clue of the game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RC and Moon Pie posted:

James also hit the Daily Double on the very first clue of the game.

I hate the DD hunting so I was happy when it hosed him over.

I wonder if I'd remember Nancy Zerg if she didn't have a video game name.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
FYI: NYC (Philly maybe) won't air Jeopardy at 7 due to the NJ Governor debate. It'll be on at 3am

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

So did one of the writers' kids come up with tonight's Final Jeopardy based on what they learned in school that day? :chloe:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

More likely it was a Snapple cap.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
That was insanely easy if you've ever looked at a map lmao

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
That final was so great lol.

Mayim has settled out much better than during the summer in my opinion.
My only improvements are I wish she would help the audience when the question is generic. Tonight there was “What is Jackson?” and “What is <some other common surname>”. Help us confirm we got the right one.

Also I liked when they briefly had the FJ category over the answer.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Hed posted:

Also I liked when they briefly had the FJ category over the answer.

They’ve been doing that all season, it’s a nice QoL update of the show for the viewers at home that I really like.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, Biyalik is a much better host but she's still a terrible person.

Speaking of, John Oliver has chimed in and while he can be annoying I will always enjoy his dunking on the bad J! decisions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-6crIeCZiQ&t=48s

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zakharov posted:

That was insanely easy if you've ever looked at a map lmao

Would love to hear how they decided "which continent is the middle" should be a Final Jeopardy.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

GhostStalker posted:

They’ve been doing that all season, it’s a nice QoL update of the show for the viewers at home that I really like.

I feel like I haven't seen it since the byegone Richards era of the first few episodes. Maybe I'm just blind; I'll pay more attention today.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Hed posted:

I feel like I haven't seen it since the byegone Richards era of the first few episodes. Maybe I'm just blind; I'll pay more attention today.

It comes and goes. It wasn't on yesterday's episode.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HookShot posted:

Yeah, Biyalik is a much better host but she's still a terrible person.

Speaking of, John Oliver has chimed in and while he can be annoying I will always enjoy his dunking on the bad J! decisions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-6crIeCZiQ&t=48s

Strong fussy librarian vibes on Bialyk's part just from the thumbnail.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Matt seems like a perfectly OK guy, but I've lost all interest in him on the show.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Matt seems like a perfectly OK guy, but I've lost all interest in him on the show.

I've only seen him for 3 days and I concur. He's a little too monotone and robotic to be interesting no matter how good he is. I will say I'd probably frame every answer as what's too so I can't complain about that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I’m just glad we have a new super champ who isn’t an enormous douchebag.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Seeing a lot more commercials for Bialik's brain pills. :nallears:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Same. I lost interest in him after like win number 3. He’s just so BORING. I feel bad but I really can’t wait for him to lose and I hope he doesn’t break any more records.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I genuinely like the fact that Matt is so monotonous. It's funny how even-keeled he is whether he's winning or losing, and impressive how he's been able to win in so many ways with so many hosts. His victories feel like inevitable things that somehow creep up on you. If Jeopardy were horror he'd be a classic plodding zombie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I genuinely like the fact that Matt is so monotonous. It's funny how even-keeled he is whether he's winning or losing, and impressive how he's been able to win in so many ways with so many hosts. His victories feel like inevitable things that somehow creep up on you. If Jeopardy were horror he'd be a classic plodding zombie.

Nah, he's more like Jason Vorhees, just slow moving from all out appearances, and just when you think you've escaped, he's teleported behind you with a broken boom handle.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Aside from a few exceptions it seems Matt has been blessed with below average competition. Not to take ANYTHING away from him, but I noticed the first few minutes of the game always seems to be Matt with a couple thousand (or more) with another person having 0 or a couple hundred, and the third people being in the hole.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm impressed with his consistency especially going into the Friday games where you'd think he'd be pretty pooped.

That said I'm firmly against him now because he's too successful and no longer qualifies for "underdog" or "approaching $1 million" status.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Want to see a contestant accumulate exactly $1M and then do the Dr. Evil pinky when they announce their total winnings. The next great Jeopardy milestone.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

1glitch0 posted:

Aside from a few exceptions it seems Matt has been blessed with below average competition. Not to take ANYTHING away from him, but I noticed the first few minutes of the game always seems to be Matt with a couple thousand (or more) with another person having 0 or a couple hundred, and the third people being in the hole.

Once you get on a few game streak, the strategy of hunting from the bottom compounds itself as you've had much more time to practice the buzzer than your opponents. Matt coming in with a 30 game streak coupled with his knowledgebase gives him a much bigger opportunity to answer those questions...I don't think it really has anything to do with the competition at all. At best it makes it very difficult to actually judge his competition. I don't think it's a coincidence that his first game was easily his closest.

One of the challengers last night had a good grasp on the buzzer - if he had managed one of the DJ DDs he probably had a shot (if he hadn't missed final).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Yoshi Wins posted:

Want to see a contestant accumulate exactly $1M and then do the Dr. Evil pinky when they announce their total winnings. The next great Jeopardy milestone.

I promise, if I somehow end up in a position to do this without jeopardizing the game win, I will absolutely do this.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

Same. I lost interest in him after like win number 3. He’s just so BORING. I feel bad but I really can’t wait for him to lose and I hope he doesn’t break any more records.

On top of that, his interviews on the show seem extra careful to reveal anything personal about him. I don't blame him on that. I wouldn't want the internet prying too heavily into my personal life, but his stories are devoid of any interesting tidbits.

So, Matt, you had an incident with a fridge during a natural disaster?

Yeah, the power went out for a week while all of us were on internships.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Did he say what he's a PhD candidate in?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Poque posted:

Once you get on a few game streak, the strategy of hunting from the bottom compounds itself as you've had much more time to practice the buzzer than your opponents.

Yeah, it's this. Almost everyone up on that stage is using the Jeopardy-playing equipment for maybe the third time ever, while a champion is going to have a better intuition for when the button goes live. If you can build up a big lead before they become better at stealing questions from you, it's that much harder for them to catch up.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RC and Moon Pie posted:

On top of that, his interviews on the show seem extra careful to reveal anything personal about him. I don't blame him on that. I wouldn't want the internet prying too heavily into my personal life, but his stories are devoid of any interesting tidbits.

So, Matt, you had an incident with a fridge during a natural disaster?

Yeah, the power went out for a week while all of us were on internships.

I feel like that's pretty normal for any long-running champion though. I mean, are you really going to have interesting stories 30+ games down the road?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

haveblue posted:

Yeah, it's this. Almost everyone up on that stage is using the Jeopardy-playing equipment for maybe the third time ever, while a champion is going to have a better intuition for when the button goes live. If you can build up a big lead before they become better at stealing questions from you, it's that much harder for them to catch up.

True. This is been one of the funny parts of his early run when the big questions are all gone and you can see the will to live seep out of his opponents. Like even if they get everything they can't catch him.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

packetmantis posted:

Did he say what he's a PhD candidate in?
Computer Science.

And then he missed the Daily Double where the answer was Turing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the thing about Jeopardy is everyone up there knows the answer to 80% of the questions on the board at least. Exactly what 80% might differ by person, but when you get someone who goes up to 95% AND has great skills on the buzzer, that’s how you end up with a million-dollar champ.

Others who have either or of those skills might win a few games, but you have to have both to be a real super champ, and no one up there is dumber than any other J! contestants. They just seem that way because they can’t buzz in.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
BORTLES

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
At this point just make Matt the new host. He's going to be there forever either way.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I really would not be upset if they went back to a 5 day cap again. You might be able to convince me that a 10 day cap is ok too.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I just want to see him finish breaking all of James' records because Matt continuing to dunk on him is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I just want to see him finish breaking all of James' records because Matt continuing to dunk on him is great.

Same