Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016
You can also hit up some allies for money and sell ships. Selling ships doesn't sound like a great idea when you're starting out, but sometimes you just get Lightnings, Navarins, or something crazy like a Triumphant from an event or Tarkhan.

Or you end up with ten Voshkods because the game decides to gently caress with you. That was a weird playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
This seems right up my alley, but drat that Tarkan minigame basically makes it a hard no for me. Is there any pattern because it looks to me like you may as well pull your answers out of a drat hat.

Like, it actually looks like a half assed mechanic they forgot to remove before release level of bad

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's much, much easier if you search Crew Cabins for presents; presents not only give you a likely Relationship boost but give you an extra turn.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The card game really bugs me because, as both the player and Mark Sayadi, I should be able to figure out what to tell people just from what the look like and what I know of them, but for some reason I'm limited to a small set of options that don't really make sense depending on context.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

carrionman posted:

Is there any pattern because it looks to me like you may as well pull your answers out of a drat hat.

You have to actually pay attention. The Gerati and Romani have different costume designs and naming patterns, figure out where they're from and flatter them. If someone greets you with a religious phrase, maybe don't poo poo-talk priests. A literal pirate, probably not real big on law, order, and helping the downtrodden.

But, yes, fair, you can't sherlock out everything. Their likes stay mostly the same from run to run though, so write down how your guesses fared and use the intel for next time.

The gripe i will agree with is...

SIGSEGV posted:

for some reason I'm limited to a small set of options that don't really make sense depending on context.

Yeah, that. I usually just try to ransack enough garrisons to have presents to throw at them whenever Mark is about to put his foot in his mouth.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also getting more stars is actually very useful as it lets you call in for favors more. 4 stars on a Ask for Reinforcements person can be a godsend.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Phrosphor you should turn on the long aiming marker option. You deserve it.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
If you buy up all the fuel in a city, does it regenerate over time?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You can't actually run out of fuel to buy in a city, thankfully. Fuel Depots just sell it cheaper.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

If you buy up all the fuel in a city, does it regenerate over time?

only one city has a finite (For our purposes, fuel is set at a number in the game files but its not one you will ever see.) amount due to an event that means only 6000 is left. Once that 6k is gone you cannot refuel at the city anymore.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Very enjoyable LP but why are you in a hurry all the time, breathe a little. Also, stop loving up all the tarkhans :argh: IMO you do it because you simultaniously overthink and in a huge hurry as usual. Also, I demand you rename one of Skylarks into Skylard. I'm gonna love it when you pronounce its name all the time in your LP

Roki B posted:

Phrosphor you should turn on the long aiming marker option. You deserve it.

This. Please do it

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Dude. Known velocity and heading of the strike group and known missile speed and you just guessed missile destination? The game gives you a ruler and compass.

If you're going to grognard the lovely aiming cursor, at least do the math to get your leading aim correct.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think it's hilarious we've had 13 updates of meticulous planning and min-maxing and calculation and then suddenly 'oh I'll just eyeball this nuke'.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alchenar posted:

I think it's hilarious we've had 13 updates of meticulous planning and min-maxing and calculation and then suddenly 'oh I'll just eyeball this nuke'.

The thing is it's not that meticulous, just panicked and more complicated than it needs to be. I mean, look at losing 4 precious T-7s to letting them run out of fuel, or accidentally missiling the lightning.

A plan with a bunch of moving components at once is a plan where more can go wrong. This game rewards planning and using all your tools, yes, but a really important part of the game is realizing you don't have a time limit. Your time limits are all 'soft': Fuel, distance, people getting a phone and calling the Governor (which becomes way less of a problem as he runs out of SGs and things later). Taking a moment to breathe and think about your actual objective in a situation is really valuable. Most of the mistakes in this playthrough come from trying to do multiple things at once when there was no actual need to do so or hurrying things when the player actually had plenty of time.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Am I tripping, or does killing 1~2 ships in a mobile (strike) fleet and then retreating create a separate crashsite each time, so with some micromanagement and fleet splitting and a few "pair of D30S strapped to a fuel tank" scout/courier ships would allow for simultaneous rescue operations to get more salvage?

Also... for some reason the abstract inventory for special ammo seems entertainingly cheesable. Like if you keep one placeholder ship parked at a hidden city to juggle inventory in whatever quantum warehouse, selling excess into the stockpile so that your exploration/combat fleets can buy everything in every new city you visit.

e: something I discovered when watching my poo poo get blown up by cruise missiles is that if you've got a ship in a city and it's about to get owned, you can just disassemble the ship (detach everything except the bridge) and sell all of the parts before closing the shipworks and everything that was sold stays in the city's inventory.

Unrelated but if you're refitting your flagship and it can't fly because engines or fuel tanks haven't been installed yet, attempting to leave the city is an instant game over?

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 22, 2021

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Do you still get the war crime tag if you nuke a strike group outside of a city?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Do you still get the war crime tag if you nuke a strike group outside of a city?

No, it's only if you fire on a city.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Night10194 posted:

No, it's only if you fire on a city.

I'm guessing we just lost popular support and it's gonna be bad.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

How do repair times when you have multiple ships in one place stack? It seems like they straight stack and get done one by one? Can you buy parts and send a ship just outside int he desert and have repair itself?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Loving these updates, but to echo others, these are all unforced errors. Slow down a bit and breathe!

e: looking forward to seeing you pivot and retain the initiative though!

Grumio fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 23, 2021

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Alchenar posted:

it's the funniest and thus the most correct outcome

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

George Rouncewell posted:

it's the funniest and thus the most correct outcome

He got high off of victory and it blinded him, and he lost what? 5 nukes?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roki B posted:

Dude. Known velocity and heading of the strike group and known missile speed and you just guessed missile destination? The game gives you a ruler and compass.

If you're going to grognard the lovely aiming cursor, at least do the math to get your leading aim correct.

Are you suggesting that "just eyeballing it" is not a suitable method of throwing nuclear missiles at population centers?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SugarAddict posted:

He got high off of victory and it blinded him, and he lost what? 5 nukes?

5 Nukes so far! there might be more going into the desert in the future.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

OwlFancier posted:

Are you suggesting that "just eyeballing it" is not a suitable method of throwing nuclear missiles at population centers?

"Close enough" does tend to work with nukes tbf :shrug:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

The best thing about those two Varyag cruisers that OP was concerned out about is the part where they're actually Nomads, which are still top-tier brawlers but lack the firepower of a Varyag. Also they're big and slow which leaves them very vulnerable to aircraft, you can have a single T-7 repeatedly retreat and re-engage to make the AI waste their Sprint missiles before you fully commit, and the 350mm 340mm rockets can even one-shot the bridge if the attack run starts from the left.Also if the Gathering using the same Nomad design as the ship that appears at the end of the tutorial, they're equipped with a radar jammer and 2x Kh15N nukes.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 25, 2021

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Are Varyags enemy only or can the player recruit them?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I do like it how the game really emphasis that nuking stuff is A Thing, especially when cities are involved.

Anyway what does the text that pops up next to damaged ships in combat mean? The destroyed modules, "on fire" and "lost ctrl" are obvious, but what do HP and DYNAMIC signify?
I'd usually think HP is "hit points", but the way this game does modular damage, an aggregated single hit point count doesn't seem so useful.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Crazy Achmed posted:

I do like it how the game really emphasis that nuking stuff is A Thing, especially when cities are involved.

Anyway what does the text that pops up next to damaged ships in combat mean? The destroyed modules, "on fire" and "lost ctrl" are obvious, but what do HP and DYNAMIC signify?
I'd usually think HP is "hit points", but the way this game does modular damage, an aggregated single hit point count doesn't seem so useful.

I assume it's component HP

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
What's the difference between playthroughs? Unlocks, meta-plot, other kind of progression?

Aside, I'm feeling a bit weird about the cities' names here, mostly 'cause they are from this general region. Like, it's an one hour bus ride from here!
And speaking of names - any ships left to rename?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Gun Jam posted:

What's the difference between playthroughs? Unlocks, meta-plot, other kind of progression?

You write down what Tarkhans like and remember it for next time.

Also, your score at the end of a run is added to your starting funds next run.

You unlock ships in the starting fleet selection (and the custom shipyard) by owning them in the course of a run. This includes an alternate flagship or two

That's it.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Another detail about the fuel glitch you might want to be aware of: when you click the 'undo' button in the ship editor, the ship gets set to 100% fuel and all 'unready' aircraft reset instantly.

Which could have something to do with obscuring the actual time it takes to reload your airforce between bombing runs, if you're like me and constantly tinkering with things. :v:

edit: ...also, there's a separate bug that makes some ammo types not appear even when a town actually has the item in stock. Seems to apply mostly to 340mm aircraft rockets and gravity bombs. You can see (and buy) their inventory as long as you own at least one of that type and click the "my special ammunition register" which lets you buy/sell by clicking the name, even if the graphic doesn't appear.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 28, 2021

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

On a related note, any aircraft you queue for installation are immediately available for launch.

Aircraft in flight are removed from the deck.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
Thanks for the play through! I enjoy the unique setting, but I’m pretty sure I’d bounce off the interface.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

On a related note, any aircraft you queue for installation are immediately available for launch.

Aircraft in flight are removed from the deck.

This bug was incredibly confusing for me the first time I encountered it, I tried to launch a strike, it said I had two T-7 available, I dispatched them, the number of T-7 I had available did not go down, I kept trying to dispatch them not realizing it was launching the fighters I just installed, ended up sending out 10 planes on a garrison scouting run.

On a related note I beat the campaign and it was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. Didn't have to reload or retry despite making a few fuckups, including losing both my Lightning groups and having to hail mary* my support assets into a mercenary town where fortuitously there was another Lightning to buy.

*Not really, the trick is to abuse planes, if you wipe a garrison with aircraft then send in a ship it doesn't matter if the ship is unarmed or something you don't want spotted like Sevestapol, the enemy doesn't get a contact report from planes. Great for those stages of the campaign where you just want things to die immediately.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

love the playthrough OP. is there a reason you don't just load a save if you accidently retreat instead of restarting a fight? seems like a very punishing thing to do in your playthroughs when it's a genuine mistake

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Welp. Making the two buttons look so similar and putting them right next to each other is not the greatest UI design, plus if you don't know what it really does then I think you'd be forgiven for thinking that "retreat" makes the ship in combat, well, retreat. Not insta-die. But still, I get the feeling that the harsh reality of everything suddenly going to poo poo in a heartbeat is what this game's about sometimes. As well as the opposite where four trade fleets conga-line into your gunships like some kind of Benny Hill short.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

While the interface for this game is great for ambience, I find it absolutely terrible to use and I feel like for every valid order I give, I make five spurious order and have to spend time and money to fix them.

Also there's no key rebinding that I can find and that is awful.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Welp. Making the two buttons look so similar and putting them right next to each other is not the greatest UI design, plus if you don't know what it really does then I think you'd be forgiven for thinking that "retreat" makes the ship in combat, well, retreat. Not insta-die. But still, I get the feeling that the harsh reality of everything suddenly going to poo poo in a heartbeat is what this game's about sometimes. As well as the opposite where four trade fleets conga-line into your gunships like some kind of Benny Hill short.

Any ships you have managed to move to the retreat point in battle will successfully retreat if you press retreat. Any that did not will die. It is definitely unclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hefty Leftist posted:

love the playthrough OP. is there a reason you don't just load a save if you accidently retreat instead of restarting a fight? seems like a very punishing thing to do in your playthroughs when it's a genuine mistake

It's a pseudo roguelike so we'd have to go all the way back to when we captured a fleet HQ.