Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Thus Spoke Malthustra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
you know I think about this thread an awful lot. if things really are as bad as predicted, then I know sitting on this 401k is a joke. I mean, I’ve always known it’s a coin flip whether or not it’s a “correction” year when you near retirement anyway, and that’s without the end of the loving world driving number down.

so, I wonder A LOT about when, “the right time” is to cash it out, take the hit and do something fun while I still can. the real bitch is, I can’t even talk to anyone in real life about it, because everyone I know is too invested in the status quo to entertain such a notion as anything other than abject lunacy.

I think I can pay off my mortgage in about 5 years, living pretty frugal and socking everything I get into it. I figure if all I have to make is taxes and utilities until poo poo starts to fall apart for reals, then maybe….

hard thoughts.

lol.

lmao.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
If anyone ever feels like their 401k is a waste of time, I'm here to accept the money

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I've been thinking about this video a lot lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCxPOqwCr1I

I know people have known since industrialisation that poo poo was going wrong, but this point in 1973 when scientists clearly say "we're hosed" and world politics doesn't even skip a beat sits heavy with me at the moment for some reason

lol

lmao

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I wish I tried to learn to draw instead of just fantasizing about learning to draw. I always assumed there would be more time.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I wish I tried to learn to draw instead of just fantasizing about learning to draw. I always assumed there would be more time.

you should get on that, being able to amuse your warlord master will be important in the future economy

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't make financial decisions off of a c-spam climate change thread.

We could have 40 years of deteriorating conditions where that stuff is still important. So learn your hobbies or new languages.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

you’ll have enough time, assuming we have at least a year. probably a good pastime for when the internet is gone / only works for things you don’t want.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I'm going to run up my credit card ordering from budk at the last minute. The market is cornered on bullets already, but when my commune is the only one in the region with an ample supply of katanas and sais, nothing.will stop us from securing ourselves.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

that's just the way it is and it has been that way for so long it is impossible to do anything about it now

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

no better time than the present

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

starkebn posted:

I've been thinking about this video a lot lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCxPOqwCr1I

I know people have known since industrialisation that poo poo was going wrong, but this point in 1973 when scientists clearly say "we're hosed" and world politics doesn't even skip a beat sits heavy with me at the moment for some reason

lol

lmao

Lol the scientist is like "well, you'll drive a smaller car, but there'll be good public transport. You'll work less and enjoy nature more."

I guess he got the car thing right, except for SUVs and trucks.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G6ro-c0C5E

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lordshmee posted:

you know I think about this thread an awful lot. if things really are as bad as predicted, then I know sitting on this 401k is a joke. I mean, I’ve always known it’s a coin flip whether or not it’s a “correction” year when you near retirement anyway, and that’s without the end of the loving world driving number down.

so, I wonder A LOT about when, “the right time” is to cash it out, take the hit and do something fun while I still can. the real bitch is, I can’t even talk to anyone in real life about it, because everyone I know is too invested in the status quo to entertain such a notion as anything other than abject lunacy.

I think I can pay off my mortgage in about 5 years, living pretty frugal and socking everything I get into it. I figure if all I have to make is taxes and utilities until poo poo starts to fall apart for reals, then maybe….

hard thoughts.

lol.

lmao.

i did that last year and have since remodeled my basement to a virtual bunker with metal sheets lining the walls for the worst case and ive got enough beans and rice to last me a few years, unlike many of these faker preppers ITT

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i can't be a prepper because i can't afford a house and my rented condo is tiny as gently caress

i do buy extra stuff in the fall though so i don't have to go grocery shopping as much during the winter though

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

the correct time to sell any investment or property is the last time you were able to before you realized no one will buy it anymore

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
this whole overlapping crises thing is great. whenever you get too worried about one problem you can just take a deep breath and remember that none of this loving matters because there's always something bigger and worse going on.

and even if you pretend anything matters we don't have a leg to stand on when complaining about current conditions, societal or other wise. The hellworld coming for the new generation is going to be unspeakably horrific.

:cry: a chud got shot, close the thread! lol the world is literally ending who cares about either of them. enjoy the show lmao.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Lordshmee posted:

hard thoughts.

lol.

lmao.

I find that people "newer" to collapse sort of just ... give up. They no longer save for the future, or try to aspire for anything, with the knowledge they carry about the future.

Remember that nothing is ever fully known about the future. Yes, we are on a trajectory towards decline and diminished quality of life, but doing everything you can to prepare for that future today (e.g. personal or professional investments) will be a blessing tomorrow. If everything turns out better than expected, you will be grateful to yourself. If it isn't, then at least you have a cushion in collapse.

Civilization may have a cyclical pattern, yes, but collapse takes numerous decades - even centuries - to reach the nadir.

All you can do is prepare for the long descent.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
also if this thread gets blown up because of QCS i will personally throttle the goon responsible

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Homeless Friend posted:

If anyone ever feels like their 401k is a waste of time, I'm here to accept the money

Retirement planning is the opiate of the naive.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

this thread getting nuked would prove that this site is just as spineless and placating as every other board or social media platform

i have no reason to be optimistic

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Hubbert posted:

I find that people "newer" to collapse sort of just ... give up. They no longer save for the future, or try to aspire for anything, with the knowledge they carry about the future.

Remember that nothing is ever fully known about the future. Yes, we are on a trajectory towards decline and diminished quality of life, but doing everything you can to prepare for that future today (e.g. personal or professional investments) will be a blessing tomorrow. If everything turns out better than expected, you will be grateful to yourself. If it isn't, then at least you have a cushion in collapse.

Civilization may have a cyclical pattern, yes, but collapse takes numerous decades - even centuries - to reach the nadir.

All you can do is prepare for the long descent.

Eh, we're old. When you freshly crack-ping these days there's no real time to warm up the motor, it's all hypercanes and firenados and pooping in bunker vents to collect soft rich people meat for your wasteland warlord. The long descent was a concept from the days before the abruptness of historical climate change and extinction events was understood, I don't think it really holds valid anymore.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Car Hater posted:

The long descent was a concept from the days before the abruptness of historical climate change and extinction events was understood, I don't think it really holds valid anymore.

look at this optimist

the sad fact is this poo poo is going to crawl along on momentum for the rest of our lives, kicking and screaming into the grave even as it all burns down around it. everything will take forever to bleed out, every horrific climate event and horrors of all kinds will be totally normalized... everything except questioning the sanctity of the security state, and its sovereignty of violence

that will be sacrosanct, and the libs will line up to suck pig dick even as the fires rise around them

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Tekne posted:

this thread getting nuked would prove that this site is just as spineless and placating as every other board or social media platform

i have no reason to be optimistic

Nobody can stop people from posting objective reality about the state of the environment because some dipshit shot someone. Save the reactionary posts for the fall of society

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

i am a perpetual reaction machine :frogsiren:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

Lol the scientist is like "well, you'll drive a smaller car, but there'll be good public transport. You'll work less and enjoy nature more."

I guess he got the car thing right, except for SUVs and trucks.

have you seen cars like side by side old vs new?
they're loving enormous now
like monstrously huge, even mostly 'small' cars
there was an old caddie the other day at a gas station and next to it was a small car that just utterly dwarfed it

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
I think even though I know we're not going to do anything about it, and I've known for my whole life we're not going to do anything about it, it's really another thing entirely to actually see it happening and sure enough, no one's going to do anything about it.

Sure enough, sure enough.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

also if this thread gets blown up because of QCS i will personally throttle the goon responsible

see this is exactly the type of violent rhetoric that andy ngo was talking about

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Evil_Greven posted:

have you seen cars like side by side old vs new?
they're loving enormous now
like monstrously huge, even mostly 'small' cars
there was an old caddie the other day at a gas station and next to it was a small car that just utterly dwarfed it

I probably just picturing the smallest cars today, like the latest Mirage, and the huge land yachts before the gas crisis

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

rabble rabble posted:

I think even though I know we're not going to do anything about it, and I've known for my whole life we're not going to do anything about it, it's really another thing entirely to actually see it happening and sure enough, no one's going to do anything about it.

Sure enough, sure enough.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately... that Steinbeck quote about banks being built by men, but no longer controlled by them.

As people we often feel apart from nature in a way that is, I think, totally artificial. We can imagine all the extinct charismatic megafauna that came before, which met their own natural end of one kind or another, and see a version of their story that makes sense to us...

But it's very difficult to see ourselves as a species subject to natural forces that, regardless of our role in unleashing them, have grown beyond our control. That the rise of industrial civilization itself seems an inevitability, and would in turn inevitably lead to our own ruin and potential extinction, is hard to wrap our heads around.

With all our sapience and logical reasoning, symbolic representation of thought, philosophy, introspection and technological gizmos we are still just a species that arose on earth and became subject to externalities beyond our reasoning or control.

The only really big accident is that a fraction of our species was aware of it well ahead of time

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

I probably just picturing the smallest cars today, like the latest Mirage, and the huge land yachts before the gas crisis

Those land yachts aren't quite as big as you think, and a lot of them would seem kind of puny compared to modern SUVs and crossovers.

Part of the problem is also model upsizing. Manufacturers are inserting more cars at the lower end and pushing mainstream models up in size, even though they're technically in the same class. That Mirage is a subcompact, but it's only about 5" shorter than a 90s Civic, while being taller and just as wide. Meanwhile, the Civic has grown by almost 2 feet in the last 30 years.

Weight is the really fun one. My grandparents had an 80s Impala, and that car was like the quintessential American piece of poo poo land yacht. It was about as long as a modern Tahoe, and it weighed less than my "compact" 3-series.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

So there a failover site or discord for lmaoing about this even if this forum is shutdown? I can't handle the hope for hopes sake people

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
They're not going to shut down cspam. They might shut this thread down because someone decided to poke a hornets nest while the all the hornets were pissed off about a different hornets nest, I'm sorry I've lost the thread of the hornets nest metaphor I was going for here, but I think that instead they'll just remind people that it's a stupid idea to joke about carrying out bombings or assassinations and ban the people that do it.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

The Protagonist posted:

look at this optimist

the sad fact is this poo poo is going to crawl along on momentum for the rest of our lives, kicking and screaming into the grave even as it all burns down around it. everything will take forever to bleed out, every horrific climate event and horrors of all kinds will be totally normalized... everything except questioning the sanctity of the security state, and its sovereignty of violence

that will be sacrosanct, and the libs will line up to suck pig dick even as the fires rise around them

The crop failures have started.
The permafrost methane off gassing has started.
The self-perpetuating wildfires have started.
The algae blooms have started.
Covid is training like Goku.
The supply chain is going to poo poo.
I'm going to touch the president's hairy leg in the pool.
Lol.
Lmao.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Holy poo poo lol I was reading that thread when he posted "analysis" of the shooter(himself). It seemed kinda overblown and hyperbolic but I figured it was just goons being melodramatic.

Coolzone thread was a funny read but i'll be genuinely bummed if this thread bites it.

I'm pretty sure I posted on that very same page but the thread is hidden now so I can't go back to see for sure

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

even the land yachts have gotten way bigger and more excessive

1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Length: 186.4 in
Width: 74.8 in
Height: 66.4 in
Weight: 4500 lbs

2022 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Length: 215 in
Width: 84 in
Height: 76 in
Weight: 6420 lbs

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Paradoxish posted:

Those land yachts aren't quite as big as you think, and a lot of them would seem kind of puny compared to modern SUVs and crossovers.

Part of the problem is also model upsizing. Manufacturers are inserting more cars at the lower end and pushing mainstream models up in size, even though they're technically in the same class. That Mirage is a subcompact, but it's only about 5" shorter than a 90s Civic, while being taller and just as wide. Meanwhile, the Civic has grown by almost 2 feet in the last 30 years.

Weight is the really fun one. My grandparents had an 80s Impala, and that car was like the quintessential American piece of poo poo land yacht. It was about as long as a modern Tahoe, and it weighed less than my "compact" 3-series.

I knew the Civic blew up, but drat. That's crazy to think about. The Accord got bigger too. I guess there were a lot of little econo cars running around too back in the day.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Lordshmee posted:

hard thoughts.

lol.

lmao.

It shouldn't matter if it's a correction year close to retirement because you should be rebalancing your asset allocation as you near retirement away from volatility and risk.

Of course we've seen absolutely insane stock market growth despite everything being obviously hosed since the US government exists for one purpose, making number go up. So people get greedy and stay in equities and risk a correction delaying their retirement.

In any case, I don't think climate change will affect your 401k. The numbers are all fake and again the literal sole responsibility of the US government is to make them go up.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Car Hater posted:

The crop failures have started.
The permafrost methane off gassing has started.
The self-perpetuating wildfires have started.
The algae blooms have started.
Covid is training like Goku.
The supply chain is going to poo poo.
I'm going to touch the president's hairy leg in the pool.
Lol.
Lmao.

Don't get me wrong man, I crave the catharsis of sudden, abrupt collapse over continuing to go to work in this decaying hell world we've built for ourselves... but it's still going to be decades of this horrid poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Protagonist posted:

Don't get me wrong man, I crave the catharsis of sudden, abrupt collapse over continuing to go to work in this decaying hell world we've built for ourselves... but it's still going to be decades of this horrid poo poo

It won't be decades. The current global trends towards hyper-nationalism will see to that.