Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

USPTO is fully fee funded if you don't want to help murder babies and instead want to help Disney make more money.

Reads this as I just renewed one of Disney's trademarks...

Heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I want one of those CS Examiner billets with USPTO, but they only seem to hire at 7 and even with the pay schedule it would suck for several years. Maybe if promotion to ~14 were guaranteed if you don’t screw up.

PneumonicBook posted:

I did that bit the other day for my buddy who took offense at what I described our job as.

Yeah it’s not original at all, but I can’t forget when I first heard the phrase I just looked around to see if anyone was trying to hide a tell that it was a joke.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

GD_American posted:

About the only thing we can't do when shutdown anymore is benefit letters and process overpayments.

You'd think they'd have a little extra money lying around to process overpayments...

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

GD_American posted:

SSA just got its list of essential activities (for field office employees) and they are far more expansive than in years past. About the only thing we can't do when shutdown anymore is benefit letters and process overpayments.

Interesting. I should call my cousin. He's SSA field.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It doesn’t look like we’re going to have a shutdown anyway

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

This talk about PTO got me thinking. I like my job right now quite a bit, and I'm happy I can do it for mid-band GS-13 money. But it's digital electronics design and prototyping, which means I can telework a bit, but it absolutely cannot be done 100% remote...and I would love to find a way to take my design engineering experience somehow to a job that could, and that seems like a possible answer to that question.

I applied to PTO many years ago when I was already a GS-7 somewhere else, practically still fresh out of school. Had an interview and then just never heard back. So I'm somewhat familiar with...at least the way it worked like 12 years ago. Back then you were expected to live and work in DC for a few years and then there was a possibility of going remote after that on a universal special rate table unaffected by locality (but quite generous).

So I'm wondering a few things, as a thought experiment - is that still how things work there, or has Covid changed that formula in some way? Also, I'm fairly sure I'd have to take a pay cut, but given my decades of engineering experience is it really necessary to cut all the way back to GS-7? I've got lots of savings, so it's not impossible for me, but it would definitely be a tough pill to swallow. Does PTO really not have a more graceful way of trying to bring in mid-career professionals like me?

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
wanna touch eggs, professionally? of course you do. here's how you do that: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/615724500

it goes to GS9, and they'll cut you a bonus check if you get hired for one of the locations listed under recruitment incentives.

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Justus posted:

This talk about PTO got me thinking. I like my job right now quite a bit, and I'm happy I can do it for mid-band GS-13 money. But it's digital electronics design and prototyping, which means I can telework a bit, but it absolutely cannot be done 100% remote...and I would love to find a way to take my design engineering experience somehow to a job that could, and that seems like a possible answer to that question.

I applied to PTO many years ago when I was already a GS-7 somewhere else, practically still fresh out of school. Had an interview and then just never heard back. So I'm somewhat familiar with...at least the way it worked like 12 years ago. Back then you were expected to live and work in DC for a few years and then there was a possibility of going remote after that on a universal special rate table unaffected by locality (but quite generous).

So I'm wondering a few things, as a thought experiment - is that still how things work there, or has Covid changed that formula in some way? Also, I'm fairly sure I'd have to take a pay cut, but given my decades of engineering experience is it really necessary to cut all the way back to GS-7? I've got lots of savings, so it's not impossible for me, but it would definitely be a tough pill to swallow. Does PTO really not have a more graceful way of trying to bring in mid-career professionals like me?
PTO is currently 100% "maximum" telework, with literally no one but necessary IT personnel actually in the buildings. We have people who have been hired during the pandemic who haven't stepped foot any of the buildings. No announced timeline for office reopening either. We do have offices in Detroit, Dallas, Denver and San Jose now if the DC area (Alexandria) isn't to your liking. Once we return to "normal", examiners can apply for full time telework at the GS-12 level and they can live anywhere in the contiguous 48 states or Puerto Rico (plus a pilot location of Alaska, sorry, all the Hawaii pilot slots are full). Also, examiners are on special pay table which is a few thousand above the DC region pay and the pay table applies anywhere in the United States or it's territories.

I've heard of some people coming in as GS-9s or possibly 11s, but there's a trade off as the production quota is directly tied to your GS level, with each GS level increase meaning that much more work required to not get warnings/fired (which does happen often enough that most people know at least one person who has been let go, er... asked to resign so that the PTO doesn't have to fire them).

Also, promotion from 7 to 9 to 11 to 12 to 13 is each one year at each grade level, with a requirement of meeting reasonable levels of production and quality. The jump from 13 to 14 takes about 18 months along with a thorough review of your work, since GS-14 is where you become a primary examiner and are considered to be trusted enough to not have someone else sign off on you work. There's no competition for GS-14 slots, it is based solely on your work. The PTO literally wants every examiner to get there because primary examiners have the highest production to salary ratio.

I went through the hiring process four presidents ago (Clinton), so I'm not up on the current hiring process.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Shadragul posted:

PTO is currently 100% "maximum" telework, with literally no one but necessary IT personnel actually in the buildings. We have people who have been hired during the pandemic who haven't stepped foot any of the buildings. No announced timeline for office reopening either. We do have offices in Detroit, Dallas, Denver and San Jose now if the DC area (Alexandria) isn't to your liking. Once we return to "normal", examiners can apply for full time telework at the GS-12 level and they can live anywhere in the contiguous 48 states or Puerto Rico (plus a pilot location of Alaska, sorry, all the Hawaii pilot slots are full). Also, examiners are on special pay table which is a few thousand above the DC region pay and the pay table applies anywhere in the United States or it's territories.

I've heard of some people coming in as GS-9s or possibly 11s, but there's a trade off as the production quota is directly tied to your GS level, with each GS level increase meaning that much more work required to not get warnings/fired (which does happen often enough that most people know at least one person who has been let go, er... asked to resign so that the PTO doesn't have to fire them).

Also, promotion from 7 to 9 to 11 to 12 to 13 is each one year at each grade level, with a requirement of meeting reasonable levels of production and quality. The jump from 13 to 14 takes about 18 months along with a thorough review of your work, since GS-14 is where you become a primary examiner and are considered to be trusted enough to not have someone else sign off on you work. There's no competition for GS-14 slots, it is based solely on your work. The PTO literally wants every examiner to get there because primary examiners have the highest production to salary ratio.

I went through the hiring process four presidents ago (Clinton), so I'm not up on the current hiring process.

Hey, thanks for the insight. From the sound of it, I’d probably need to start lower rather than higher on the totem pole, just because while I’ve definitely got the technical and engineering skills, I have utterly zero experience or exposure to any of the rest of it. Also, it sounds like it’s not what I think of as “remote work” since they apparently actually do care where you live for some reason. One of the big things I’m trying to accomplish is a move, specifically, to Portugal. I could deal if they needed me to stay somewhere a few years while training, but if they are insisting I stay CONUS indefinitely that’s not going to work for me.

But absolutely thanks for the information. I think PTO is probably a pretty good deal for an engineer fresh out of school that wants a decent paying flexible federal job and won’t mind never doing hands-on design work.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
We did it everyone. We saved the government.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Woof Blitzer posted:

We did it everyone. We saved the government.

lmao sure, for another two months

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
TIL that The Mint is self funded as an organization so we don't ever join in on the fun during a shutdown.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
Does anyone know why they have arbitrary "employment acceptance" deadlines? Last time it was a phone call that was basically "you must accept now and you start in two weeks." This time it's an email and I have 2 business days to respond. I guess this is a confused humble-brag disguised as a question.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

OGDanDogg posted:

Does anyone know why they have arbitrary "employment acceptance" deadlines? Last time it was a phone call that was basically "you must accept now and you start in two weeks." This time it's an email and I have 2 business days to respond. I guess this is a confused humble-brag disguised as a question.

Because it's the end of the Fiscal Year and they have to get everything done in the next few weeks, which if you decline/fail out, they have to start over with the next person down the list.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

TIL that The Mint is self funded as an organization so we don't ever join in on the fun during a shutdown.

I mean, y'all can print your own money!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

GD_American posted:

SSA just got its list of essential activities (for field office employees) and they are far more expansive than in years past. About the only thing we can't do when shutdown anymore is benefit letters and process overpayments.

Yeah. Technically the only people who work during a shutdown are supposed to be those who are immediately preventing the loss of life or property. Over the years that's been glossed over and i fully expect us to be running multi-year shutdowns by 2035 but nobody noticing anymore.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

Toshimo posted:

Because it's the end of the Fiscal Year and they have to get everything done in the next few weeks, which if you decline/fail out, they have to start over with the next person down the list.

Yeah, I agree. Last time I was hired was in October as well. I just assume it's like IT, where there's some sort of ticket system and they're trying to close it out as fast as possible. Why everyone else in the chain leading up to it doesn't have this mentality is the weirdness to me. I have had fresh out of college people I wanted to hire go contractor in another area instead because "I can't wait this long, I have a family to support." I think they at least now have the ability to start processing clearances before the job offer exists though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah. Technically the only people who work during a shutdown are supposed to be those who are immediately preventing the loss of life or property. Over the years that's been glossed over and i fully expect us to be running multi-year shutdowns by 2035 but nobody noticing anymore.

Unless they change it to where we get paid during a shutdown someone will very definitely notice.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
When the GOP inevitably retakes control of the Senate and the Presidency, it's going to be so full of true believers that they really will just erase entire departments and they will force a default through.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I have a question about applying for government jobs. I haven’t even applied yet, just trying to have some information before applying. If I end up getting an offer, but turn it down, does that affect me later if I apply at the same agency?

For reference, I am looking at a job with the DOE in WAPA (Western Area Power Admin) for a job based n Phoenix that is flagged as telework possible. My wife has no interest in moving to Phoenix, but if I could work from home, with just occasional travel, that could work. But I don’t really want to lock myself out of other WAPA or even DOE positions if the travel will be more than on boarding and like a few days a month.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Star Man posted:

When the GOP inevitably retakes control of the Senate and the Presidency, it's going to be so full of true believers that they really will just erase entire departments and they will force a default through.

No. This kind of obstructionism and destruction is solely reserved for when Democrats have power.

Lady Bureaucrazy
Jan 24, 2007

Step 1: Insert speaker into vagina

Orvin posted:

I have a question about applying for government jobs. I haven’t even applied yet, just trying to have some information before applying. If I end up getting an offer, but turn it down, does that affect me later if I apply at the same agency?

For reference, I am looking at a job with the DOE in WAPA (Western Area Power Admin) for a job based n Phoenix that is flagged as telework possible. My wife has no interest in moving to Phoenix, but if I could work from home, with just occasional travel, that could work. But I don’t really want to lock myself out of other WAPA or even DOE positions if the travel will be more than on boarding and like a few days a month.

For telework positions, OPM requires all Feds report to the office at least two days per pay period (in non pandemic times). It sounds like what you'd be looking for is a remote work position, which isn't the same thing as telework.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Lady Bureaucrazy posted:

For telework positions, OPM requires all Feds report to the office at least two days per pay period (in non pandemic times). It sounds like what you'd be looking for is a remote work position, which isn't the same thing as telework.

That is good to know, thanks.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Lady Bureaucrazy posted:

Can you post a citation for this OPM requirement? The OPM guide says it's unusual for full time telework, but not prohibited.

https://www.telework.gov/guidance-legislation/telework-guidance/telework-guide/guide-to-telework-in-the-federal-government.pdf

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Can you post a citation for this OPM requirement? The OPM guide says it's unusual for full time telework, but not prohibited.

https://www.telework.gov/guidance-legislation/telework-guidance/telework-guide/guide-to-telework-in-the-federal-government.pdf

Look at the bottom of page 30 and top of 31:

"the official worksite for an employee covered by a telework agreement is the location of the
regular worksite for the employee's position (i.e., the place where the employee would normally
work absent a telework agreement), as long as the employee is scheduled to report physically at
least twice each bi-weekly pay period on a regular and recurring basis to that regular worksite

the official worksite for an employee covered by a telework agreement who is not scheduled to
report at least twice each bi-weekly pay period on a regular and recurring basis to the regular
worksite is the location of the telework site (i.e., home or other alternative worksite), except in
certain temporary situations."

Absent some special rule different from the above, if you telework full time and never report to another duty station, then your official worksite (for, among other things, locality pay adjustments) is the place you telework from (e.g., your home). If you return at least twice a biweek to some other office, then your official worksite can be the office, meaning your locality pay can be based on that.

So if for example your actual office is in NYC, with locality pay base on NYC, but you telework from, I dunno, North Dakota, then you're only able to keep the NYC locality pay if you return to the NYC office twice a biweek. If you didn't return you couldn't maintain NYC locality pay -- your official worksite would be for your site in ND and you'd be paid based on that locality pay. That's my understanding of how it works.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Thanks. Some of our "competitors" are offering full remote work and my bosses don't believe it. Now I have a citation to show them why people are leaving.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
If only I could get JWICS at home.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

Woof Blitzer posted:

If only I could get JWICS at home.

I've heard rumors of SIPR getting zero-clients for home use and they were testing it out for a single agency. I have to assume it was a misunderstanding based on a badly worded email. I have no idea how that makes any sense or if you have to get someone to come do a TEMPEST scan or something.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

OGDanDogg posted:

I've heard rumors of SIPR getting zero-clients for home use and they were testing it out for a single agency. I have to assume it was a misunderstanding based on a badly worded email.

I've seen this capability in the wild since at least 2015 but IIRC it was limited to management level and critical incidents. Something about the mechanism they ran on only being able to support a very small number of systems online simultaneously.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
What kind of FED jobs will exist come a new Trump admin or worse filled with true believers taking a wrecking ball to the administrative state? Will FEDs ever see a pay raise again or retain their TSP? Will all the health plans be slashed? The pension eliminated?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rip Testes posted:

What kind of FED jobs will exist come a new Trump admin or worse filled with true believers taking a wrecking ball to the administrative state? Will FEDs ever see a pay raise again or retain their TSP? Will all the health plans be slashed? The pension eliminated?

I understand life is hard with Facebook down, but just nakedly doomposting isn't doing you any good friend.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Rip Testes posted:

In my experience, it's not Republican admins you need to worry about in terms of federal employment benefits. It was the Obama admin that told us we needed to "tighten our belts" and gave us three years in a row of zero pay raise, and 4 more years of almost-zero raise. It was under Obama's watch too that all new federal employees were asked to contribute 4 to 6 times as much towards their pensions, amounting to a pay cut.

Anyways, workers' benefits and rights (federal or not) have been slowly eroding for at least 40 years under admins from either party, and it didn't particularly change (or accelerate) under Trump's four years. He was just a bit meaner about it in front of the cameras. It did get harder for you if you worked for an agency that was politically targeted by Trump, but I haven't heard anyone say that those cuts and hardships have particularly reversed course under Biden. That's the good cop/bad cop routine both parties engage in.

In short,

GD_American posted:

No. This kind of obstructionism and destruction is solely reserved for when Democrats have power.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Rip Testes posted:

You know Trump war already president once right? And we got better raises than under Obama, no benefits slashed, parental leave, none of the insane stuff you're babbling about at the end there.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Yeah, but he personally wrecked a lot of agencies too. State, interior, epa. His political appointees did a lot of damage.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sonny Perdue completely hosed the huge econ department at ISDA.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
You guys thinking Trump wasn’t bad need to go back and read his presidents budget requests. They proposed massive cuts to federal worker benefits and the administration was also heavily pushing for cuts to worker protections. Trump also proposed a pay freeze as recently as 2020.

Y’all have the memory and critical thinking skills of a block of wood.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Kase Im Licht posted:

You know Trump war already president once right? And we got better raises than under Obama, no benefits slashed, parental leave, none of the insane stuff you're babbling about at the end there.

I liked the Schedule F executive order, because who doesn't love when a president issues an executive order two weeks before an election designed to strip civil service protections away from anybody he thought wasn't on board with his policies. That one was insane.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

laxbro posted:

You guys thinking Trump wasn’t bad need to go back and read his presidents budget requests. They proposed massive cuts to federal worker benefits and the administration was also heavily pushing for cuts to worker protections. Trump also proposed a pay freeze as recently as 2020.

And that right there illustrates my point perfectly. Trump proposed massive cuts and a pay freeze. Obama did them for real. Remember when Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton played the exact same game with welfare benefits? Speaking of memory and critical thinking, when’s the last time a president’s proposed budget meant anything real at all outside of a news cycle?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

laxbro posted:

Well duh, we're sivil servants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
USCIS almost shut down under Trump. The entire purpose of the agency is counter to Republican philosophy.

Then under Biden/Mayorkas we got OT back.