Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

500excf type r posted:

Do we hate motorcycles also? I hate cars but I do not hate motorcycles.

i don't hate cars or motorcycles or any machines, i hate public policy that has created a destructive car centered world. as always it is the humans at fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

indigi posted:

yes very loud and annoying. cars < motorcycles < <<<<<<<< public transit < bikes

What if they're not loud or annoying

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
vespas are the the pinnacle of human transportation.

also very fuckable unlike a ford which is an incel

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

500excf type r posted:

What if they're not loud or annoying

nobody buys them if they aren’t. they’ve made quiet motorcycles which don’t sell

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1442972456625397771?s=20

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Scooters are wonderful, but they're terrible wrt emissions. We need more efficient scooters.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

We have efficient scooters. They’re called bikes. You can even get an electric motor for them if you’re lazy.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

indigi posted:

nobody buys them if they aren’t. they’ve made quiet motorcycles which don’t sell

Lol

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

indigi posted:

I think you will find nearly all motorcycles are actually quiet from the factory

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

indigi posted:

imagine thinking the only motorcycle ever built is a harley

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

A life not worth living imo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Loucks posted:

We have efficient scooters. They’re called bikes. You can even get an electric motor for them if you’re lazy.

I know, but actual scooters.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/BrentToderian/status/1442159658244837381?s=20

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I know, but actual scooters.

Two stroke engines are bad though.

I guess you could stick an electric motor on a scooter, but then you just have an extremely heavy bike so you need way more battery to go the same distance and speed.

How about you get a picture of a scooter to look at when you’re or doing your efficient, non polluting bike around?

e: I just remembered that some scooters have four stroke engines which does not undermine my point in any way.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Loucks posted:

I guess you could stick an electric motor on a scooter, but then you just have an extremely heavy bike so you need way more battery to go the same distance and speed.

How about you get a picture of a scooter to look at when you’re or doing your efficient, non polluting bike around?

e: I just remembered that some scooters have four stroke engines which does not undermine my point in any way.

Two strokes can be smaller and lighter for the same power as a four stroke which lends itself to an overall more efficient package. I believe the modern two stroke designs with actual r&d put into them are not nearly as bad as the conventional and out of date carbureted mixed gas design

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/bcmerchant/status/1442534951765766149?s=20

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

This is me. I flamboyantly signal every turn. It's kind of fun and part of my evil plan to not get run over.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

500excf type r posted:

Two strokes can be smaller and lighter for the same power as a four stroke which lends itself to an overall more efficient package. I believe the modern two stroke designs with actual r&d put into them are not nearly as bad as the conventional and out of date carbureted mixed gas design

i can tell you with 100% certainty that despite being much more efficient wrt power density, the pollutant output is still atrocious compared to very very clean modern 4 stroke engines. two strokes are great from a power development (they are also comparitively inexpensive) point of view but i will never use them by choice because they burn oil by design which is v bad

Loucks
May 21, 2007

500excf type r posted:

I’m familiar with two stroke engines. My point is that there is zero good reason for people to be riding scooters around. It would be interesting to see how efficient & clean a well-tuned fi 2stroke could be, but it’s still going to be suboptimal.

Regardless the real enemy is still the car.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Loucks posted:

I've just noticed how ubiquitous scooters are in poorer countries because they're cheap and common (easier to repair, replace, etc.). It's going to be a while before ebikes break out of that luxury mold, so it might be easier to get more efficient scooter parts out there in the meantime. It's not really ideal obviously.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

they’re all several times louder than cars

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the virgin car vs. the chad cyclist

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

That's amazing, esp given Uber and Lyft were never really profitable and only sustained via investors. It's like this giant pile of money couldn't be used for anything productive so instead keeps alive an unprofitable business that's a net drain on society while ruining the air and making their workers miserable. All for the remote chance of capturing the taxi market and becoming a monopoly. If we'd banned cars this could have been avoided!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

lobster shirt posted:

lol poo poo like this makes me want to install bollards all around my house

funny because it's illegal to do that because your soft-framed wooden house might save a driver and a bollard could kill them.

also why you have to have those breakaway mailboxes instead of nice brick ones and they cut down all the trees on tree-lined roads

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've just noticed how ubiquitous scooters are in poorer countries because they're cheap and common (easier to repair, replace, etc.). It's going to be a while before ebikes break out of that luxury mold, so it might be easier to get more efficient scooter parts out there in the meantime. It's not really ideal obviously.

I don’t really disagree, and to be fair scooters are kind of neat. Hell, zipping around at like 25mph on a moped was fun when I was a kid. They’re definitely better than cars, just saying normalizing ebikes would be very cool.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

vyelkin posted:

the virgin car vs. the chad cyclist

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

rip

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

chad cyclist av

Loucks
May 21, 2007

A brakeless fixie too. True menace.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I want to sponsor a contest to animate that comic so I can have a new av. It's been a decade now, I guess I can retire Wolfbike

Idk what even to do to it, I feel like the car could be enhanced in so many ways by googly eyes or demon horns and a forked tongue

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

i don't hate cars or motorcycles or any machines, i hate public policy that has created a destructive car centered world. as always it is the humans at fault

i mostly agree with this but i also hate cars

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

treat every car as an enemy combatant imo

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Animal Friend posted:

That is how I stay alive biking

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Animal Friend posted:

I treat cars like rhinos. They are herbavores so don't really need to kill me to survive but behave erratically, can't see more that 4 feet, are easily enraged, and can flatten me without noticing.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

i hate cars

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

cool av posted:

i hate cars

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nocturtle posted:

That's amazing, esp given Uber and Lyft were never really profitable and only sustained via investors. It's like this giant pile of money couldn't be used for anything productive so instead keeps alive an unprofitable business that's a net drain on society while ruining the air and making their workers miserable. All for the remote chance of capturing the taxi market and becoming a monopoly. If we'd banned cars this could have been avoided!

Time to make an app called unicrn that lets you swipe on idiotic disruptive startup ideas in which you can dump your liquid assets in the vain hope of ever making money like the incumbents did ten years ago. It's Uber for late capitalism

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Cars? Can’t say I care for ‘em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

but it gets me to work on time so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not