Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Mode 7 posted:

To have the culmination of the game be Mecha Ridley who goes down like a chump was a little less so, but not enough to dampen the triumphant mood I finished the game in.

Mecha Ridley is a weird boss, as it gets double damage and triple HP if you have 100% items.

I think it might be the only thing in the series that scales off items?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mode 7 posted:

So despite having played a bunch of them I've never actually finished a Metroid game. With Metroid Dread only like, 2 weeks out I figured I should correct that so I'm going to try and go through Zero Mission > Samus Returns > Super Metroid > Metroid Fusion before Dread releases.
My advice (which you didn't ask for) might be to play Samus Returns after Fusion. Sure, as a Metroid II remake it makes sense to play it after Zero Mission, but it's also a long-rear end game by Metroidvania standards, so if you're concerned you might fall off again I'd probably tackle Super and Fusion first as those are fairly breezy titles. It's also the most recently released title and done by the same studio that's doing Dread, so while Dread isn't a direct sequel to Samus Returns, it's definitely a spiritual one.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
New Nintendo Direct Trailer. We see a dead central unit/mother brain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozmCnvYmuGc

Is this the worst kept secret of Dread? This is from the official footage Nintendo released.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlF6uca2jPM

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 24, 2021

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

After enjoying way too many Metroidvanias, it occurred to me that maybe I should try Metroid. Been having a fantastic time playing Zero Mission, Samus Returns and Super Metroid. All great.

Now I just cannot loving beat SA-X in Metroid Fusion. I don't know why, I'm sick of reading "it's so easy haha!" and I want to grind my 3DS into a fine paste. rear end in a top hat game. Bad

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Metroid Fusion has some incredibly annoying boss fights if I recall correctly. I don't remember SA-X off the top of my head but I remember the jumping spider boss being loving irritating as poo poo.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Hahahaha this music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unP3NMcwVcg

A Big... Dog posted:

After enjoying way too many Metroidvanias, it occurred to me that maybe I should try Metroid. Been having a fantastic time playing Zero Mission, Samus Returns and Super Metroid. All great.

Now I just cannot loving beat SA-X in Metroid Fusion. I don't know why, I'm sick of reading "it's so easy haha!" and I want to grind my 3DS into a fine paste. rear end in a top hat game. Bad
You are using Ice Missiles right?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 24, 2021

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

I just beat it. Thank you for the moral support, thread!! I didn't use Ice Missiles, just loving jumping around like an idiot the entire fight. PHEW

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

A Big... Dog posted:

Now I just cannot loving beat SA-X in Metroid Fusion.

You mean at the end of the game, right? 'Cause in the other sequences where SA-X appears, they're invincible.

Edit: Nevermind, congratulations!

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

SA-X is an incredibly easy boss when you realize how linear its Screw Attack trajectory on being hit is, of which it only has two trajectories. The monster form also is basically zero threat with its leap. Honestly, the Core-X is a more dangerous foe than either form of SA-X due to its quick counter shot and big touch damage.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

thebardyspoon posted:

I don't remember SA-X off the top of my head but I remember the jumping spider boss being loving irritating as poo poo.

I just dealt with this rear end in a top hat for the first time yesterday. No save point beforehand is the worst part.

Apparently you just chill in the left corner when it has legs, then you chill in the right corner while it's bouncing. That's it. Almost impossible unless you do that simple trick. Awful boss.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

bladeworksmaster posted:

SA-X is an incredibly easy boss when you realize how linear its Screw Attack trajectory on being hit is, of which it only has two trajectories. The monster form also is basically zero threat with its leap. Honestly, the Core-X is a more dangerous foe than either form of SA-X due to its quick counter shot and big touch damage.

Yeah, I think I turned my brain off a bit to actually get SA-X down. The Core-X was a little tricky, but nothing major - I had a bunch of health left, which was luxurious. Mmmm.

Guess I should play the Prime games now until Dread? I feel a little lost. No purpose left in life. I miss you, Samus. See you next mission :(

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-ghh6TPxtA

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The spider boss being named Yakuza always gives me a little laugh.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

A Big... Dog posted:

Yeah, I think I turned my brain off a bit to actually get SA-X down. The Core-X was a little tricky, but nothing major - I had a bunch of health left, which was luxurious.

Yeah truth be told I only discovered the trick to SA-X’s patterns this go around, when it suddenly clicked into place and I just spaced it without suffering a single shot in return. I’m also a bit fan of the charged Screw Attack damage trade you can do with it.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

A Big... Dog posted:

Yeah, I think I turned my brain off a bit to actually get SA-X down. The Core-X was a little tricky, but nothing major - I had a bunch of health left, which was luxurious. Mmmm.

Guess I should play the Prime games now until Dread? I feel a little lost. No purpose left in life. I miss you, Samus. See you next mission :(

The Prime games are amazing and way longer. Do it asap

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
New Japanese Ad, focuses on the cat and mouse EMMI chase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8pPITpbU38

New Challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMWA0ipQ94w

New Art from Megaman Zero artist Toru Nakayama

https://twitter.com/meka_moru_4se/status/1442073012178591749

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 27, 2021

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Infinite Bomb Jump/Diagonal Bomb Jumps confirmed

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1442572312935428099?s=20

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ohtsam posted:

Infinite Bomb Jump/Diagonal Bomb Jumps confirmed

gently caress. YES.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
bodes well for sequence breaking :woop:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there was a preview event today where reviewers got to play the first couple hours of the game and seemingly all the early impressions are absolutely glowing. Next Friday can’t come soon enough :stoked:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Vefqr1d0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E75aTuWaOu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBVR9EVslMk

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1442662840486309892

When you've been excommunicated from the canon so hard the remakes AND originals both count at the same time side-by-side more than you do.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Well it's not like Other M had any hand drawn art that would fit the theme, I think it was all CG wasn't it?

Pixel Art Time

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 28, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It's also only the 2D games. None of the Prime games are on there.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

The United States posted:

Well it's not like Other M had any hand drawn art that would fit the theme, I think it was all CG wasn't it?

Pixel Art Time

I'm glad Samus has a cape, it's very cold in space.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

This isn’t right.

The baby is dead by this point.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

48 Hour Boner posted:

I'm glad Samus has a cape, it's very cold in space.

The Chozo did not account for human body temperature

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Several hours in and still not sure if I like Samus Returns very much or not. It seems very moment to moment depending on how frustrated I am at any given time. Samus feels pretty mobile and I love the 8 way aiming, but the games love of throwing so many drat enemies at you constantly charging so you can knock them back and shoot them is feeling very, very tedious and I know I'm likely not even halfway through. The background art is frequently really cool but the foreground all feels drab and same-y. The patches of slime and completely arbitrary suction fans to prevent you from using your abilities to go through certain pathways really loving suck. The game is at its best when I'm soaking in the atmosphere but feels like it keeps getting in its own way.

Still glad that I gave it a shot as I wanted to see what MercurySteam were building on for Dread. From seeing trailers/gameplay footage, I think having a second stick to aim with and the melee counter being more easily done in motion will address a lot of my concerns in terms of gameplay flow, so here's hoping that enemy density/aggression is dialed back a little bit.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I couldn't enjoy Samus Returns either, just way too much focus on constant ACTION COMBAT without a chance to take-in the atmosphere and explore. It also feels like they made all the enemies hyper aggressive just to give purpose to the counter.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I found the constant parrying and lack of enemy variety to be a big turnoff for that game. Many of the faults I think are just what happens when you adapt a 30 year old Gameboy game. Thankfully the reviews are saying that parrying is much more optional in Dread.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"I'm rushing through all these metroid games in anticipation of dread and getting bullied in chat for not being good enough"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeNicUdXGPU

Well yeah that's what happens when you play games as a job instead of for fun

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I just did a stream of a run of Metroid Zero Mission and had a blast talking about it while I played it. It's a great game that holds up very well and I'm sorry that this guy chose to have a career in a thing he sucks at or whatever

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MokBa posted:

I found the constant parrying and lack of enemy variety to be a big turnoff for that game. Many of the faults I think are just what happens when you adapt a 30 year old Gameboy game. Thankfully the reviews are saying that parrying is much more optional in Dread.

The main thing that annoyed me were the bats.

Here, have basic flying enemies that ram you to counter all game long, then you hit the end and they throw counter-immune versions in just to gently caress with you.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I will never stop complaining about how Returns messed up the atmosphere of the game, especially late in the game. The quiet moments where Metroid II chose not to give the players any enemies to deal with were so memorable and Samus Returns just fills these sections with noisy filler.

Luckily Dread seems to be much better in that department

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

I found a trick to leveling out the early game parry trap Returns has and it was honestly quite simple. The Ice Beam as it turns out is hilariously overpowered until about when you get Wave Spazer, cause you can just punch frozen enemies or pop them with a single missile and not get slowed down hardly at all. Variety is definitely not the game’s strong suit but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy the more aggressive feeling of enemies once I got in a flow of evasion during movement and punch shattering the enemies I couldn’t evade.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Augus posted:

I will never stop complaining about how Returns messed up the atmosphere of the game, especially late in the game. The quiet moments where Metroid II chose not to give the players any enemies to deal with were so memorable and Samus Returns just fills these sections with noisy filler.

I could have at least partially forgiven the misplaced Ridley boss fight at the end if they had just stripped Samus of all her upgrades throughout the battle's cutscenes. It was a huge missed opportunity to give a canonical reason why she doesn't have anything at the start of Super.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I still feel like that Ridley boss fight has the side effect of making Samus a complete idiot for allowing Super Metroid to even happen. Before that boss fight, Samus had no real reason to believe that the space pirates still existed as a threat, so leaving the metroid in a civilian research station made sense. With the Ridley boss fight, suddenly she decides to do so not five minutes after learning that not only are the space pirates still around, they're actively targeting the metroid.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

TaurusOxford posted:

I could have at least partially forgiven the misplaced Ridley boss fight at the end if they had just stripped Samus of all her upgrades throughout the battle's cutscenes. It was a huge missed opportunity to give a canonical reason why she doesn't have anything at the start of Super.

gently caress, you're right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
might have to be careful about spoilers soon, there's been at least one copy spotted on an auction site :sigh: