Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm not super interested in manually cranking down timings but is this going to be fine for just something that runs at XMP?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07WLCWQV5

I've been using Team ram for ~8 years now without issue. It's ram, it does ram things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Apparently they're Micron E-die, which anecdotally (according to the greater internet, not my own experience) clock pretty high. If you're just slapping an XMP profile on them and calling it a day you should be more than fine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

The real story of those graphs is that it is absolutely not worth spending over 100 bucks on an AIO for a 5600X. The difference is miniscule. Just get a cheap air cooler so you don't have to put up with the noise of the wraith.

Yup, not gonna advocate it as worth the money strictly for performance gains. But the original point of my first answer was to first get a good cooler of some sort, then think about OC, because the stealth is limiting the CPU.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I also just ran a quick test. Full stock CPU settings gets me a multicore cinebench R23 score of 10209. Curve optimizer with a -20 all-core undervolt setting and default power settings still (76W PPT in Ryzen Master for both this test and the last) gets me a score of 10894. That's 6.7% "free" performance for no additional power draw. Lifting the power limits while curve optimized gets me to 11545, for a total gain of 13%, much higher than the 2% you claim I should get. I'd have to turn on Auto Overclocking to go any higher because I'm hitting the default boost clock limit of 4600 MHz now, but my system isn't terribly stable when I do that so I avoid it (it's otherwise perfectly stable with that turned off). With the power limits lifted, my 5600X caps out at 112 PPT.

That's hella impressive, sounds like you might have a lottery jackpot there!

And I based my expected gains for a generic OC proportional to peak clock single-core, which was way too handwavey -- it'll be much better than 2% for cinebench and other all-core tests. (Also I'm not really up to date with the range of results that people have been getting with the whole curve undervolt stuff. I don't have a 5000 series so it's all stuff that's neat but I'm not bothering to deep-dive on.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently people spotted evidence of a Milan-X, which is an EPYC with the stacked cache. I sure hope the next Threadripper will have that poo poo, considering how late it is.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm jizzin' for Ryzen!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I got a 5600X and the first thing I did after assembling it was order a Noctua NH-U125 because the idle temps with the stock cooler were alarming compared to the 3600X it replaced.

I noticed a huge difference after I upgraded the cooler on my 3600x from the stock cooler to a NZXT Kraken X62 that my friend gave me as a thank you for a favor.

Even just looking at task manager I can plainly see that boost clocks went from a max of 3.93ghz to 4.24ghz. Also the processor will allow itself to remain at 95-100% load where it used to throttle itself down (from what I can tell).

I just bought a NVME SSD and am looking to upgrade my X470 Gaming Plus board to a nicer X570 board.

Should I get a B550 or whatever the new one is or just get the X570. I'm hesitant to get a X570 because of the on bridge active cooling (fan) and also because I heard there were a lot of SSD issues? Vague but I've heard of people online having a bunch of hard drive issues with X570 boards.

Is it even worth the update or should I just wait for the next generation chips/boards first?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think they are making X570s with passive chipset cooling now, but the fan on mine hasn't been a problem so far so how much you prioritize that is up to you. I've had no issues with SSDs on mine, and haven't heard of any common issues but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CerealKilla420 posted:

Is it even worth the update or should I just wait for the next generation chips/boards first?

No, there's no reason to move off an X470 with your current hardware.

I expect that the 4-series mobos won't get support for the upcoming Ryzen 6000 -- but Ryzen 6000 is going to be APUs only (Rembrandt). The CPU-only no-video part (Warhol) got cancelled. Who knows if the 6000 even makes it into a desktop package. (I'm betting it doesn't, just like 4000.)

X570 is really not worth having over X470/B550 unless you have a full-desktop build that uses many PCIe devices. Like, 2 GPUs and 2 NVMe drives. X570 has a shitton of IO, but it's way more than most PCs need.

The B550 on the other hand is pretty much an X470 with PCIe gen4 support. PCIe gen4 is currently extremely useless. Even if you have a gen4 NVMe drive, the extra bandwidth doesn't do anything for the normal desktop & games type user. All the stuff that's going to bring the new console fast-storage applications to PC is still in the future. (And will absolutely work with a gen3 speed drive, even in 2022 not enough people will have gen4 stuff.)

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yes there's a choice now, but Zen 2 launched with X570 only. And support from X470/B450 was on-again, off again, on again. Coming from a 2500k, I straight up had no choice.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Klyith posted:

No, there's no reason to move off an X470 with your current hardware.

I expect that the 4-series mobos won't get support for the upcoming Ryzen 6000 -- but Ryzen 6000 is going to be APUs only (Rembrandt). The CPU-only no-video part (Warhol) got cancelled. Who knows if the 6000 even makes it into a desktop package. (I'm betting it doesn't, just like 4000.)

X570 is really not worth having over X470/B550 unless you have a full-desktop build that uses many PCIe devices. Like, 2 GPUs and 2 NVMe drives. X570 has a shitton of IO, but it's way more than most PCs need.

The B550 on the other hand is pretty much an X470 with PCIe gen4 support. PCIe gen4 is currently extremely useless. Even if you have a gen4 NVMe drive, the extra bandwidth doesn't do anything for the normal desktop & games type user. All the stuff that's going to bring the new console fast-storage applications to PC is still in the future. (And will absolutely work with a gen3 speed drive, even in 2022 not enough people will have gen4 stuff.)

Thank you for responding to my post.

I figured that this was the case but I was not sure because the theoretical speed of these NVME drives is so much higher on gen 4. Using my new nvme drive on gen 3 I notice a notable difference in transfer speed (coming from my Samsung sata 850 pro from 2016).

From what I've seen faster ram is also one of the big things that X570 brings to the table but I've seen the mhz ratings of the DDR5 chips that have been talked about and it's such a massive leap that it would be dumb imo to not just wait for that.

This is the first time I've had an all "new" computer (and I release that all of my parts are not new). It's bizarre having a computer that wasn't slapped together with a bunch of frankenstien parts and handmedown stuff. The 2TB NVME drive was the final upgrade. Like you suggested I'm just going to wait for the next generation of chips/DDR5.

Edit/Update: So I got several things wrong here. First off I thought the 970 Evo Plus I ordered was a 4.0 drive when it is actually a 3.0 drive. Also the drive I got was benching at 1500mbps read write which is significantly lower than the 3500mbps benchmark average on user benchmark. Also my computer went BSOD so I determined that this drive was defective right out of the gate.

I got a replacement from Amazon earlier today and it's benching at 3600mbps (as it should be). I ran a S.M.A.R.T. scan and there are no errors.

That said, I have run into an issue when I attempted to set my RAM speed to 3200mhz (which was stable before installing the drive). After installing the drive and changing the ram speed in the BIOS settings the system is completely unstable. Is this an issue that can be solved by just raising the voltage? Nothing else on my system is overclocked. Do NVME drives get their power from the SOC? Is it just time to buy a new powersupply?

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 21, 2021

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

So if I just got a 5800X and a 3080 and am going to use the 5800X in probably a month or so after a paycheck or two, what motherboard should I be looking at? Wifi is a must-have, I'm not too up to date on X570 vs B550.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12072/best-motherboards

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
CPU: 3700X @ stock settings
Cooler: Wraith Prism provided
Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk
Case: O11 Dynamic
Fans: 3x 120mm intake side, 3x 120mm exhaust top
GPU: 1070 @ stock settings

I've got an overheating problem when I encode a x265 on the CPU and play video games on the GPU (yes, I know this is quite a task.) Three times during this task I saw the CPU temp in HWInfo spiked to a red 97.5 which means I'm throttling. I'm hoping six fans is enough in the O11 and that I don't need to occupy all nine, but is that the move or getting a better cooler? This machine is an ARGB :catdrugs: spectacular and it's disappointing to lose the Wraith because it's flashy AF, but I'm maybe reaching the limits of what it can do.

I should note I didn't notice any real performance issues during the job, but I'm worried about killing my CPU.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

You'll get way more out of a decent tower cooler or a 280mm+ aio than you would by adding more fans.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yes, you need a better cooler. If you want to preserve the :catdrugs: then there are plenty of light show options available, from expensive AIOs like this: https://www.newegg.com/p/37B-000B-003G3?Description=argb%20aio&cm_re=argb_aio-_-9SIAWVVDVF4120-_-Product

To the $26 Vetroo V5: https://www.newegg.com/vetroo-v5/p/13C-00F3-00002

edit: To be clear, all you need to dramatically lower temps (and reduce noise while you're at it) is that Vetroo. It's pretty good, actually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GXNgPSBq8g

The scythe fuma 2 is the current most popular mid-budget tower cooler here it seems, and it is much quieter than the vetroo, but it's not :catdrugs: (and also, the Vetroo is Fine, actually)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 25, 2021

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Craptacular! posted:

CPU: 3700X @ stock settings
Cooler: Wraith Prism provided
Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk
Case: O11 Dynamic
Fans: 3x 120mm intake side, 3x 120mm exhaust top
GPU: 1070 @ stock settings

I've got an overheating problem when I encode a x265 on the CPU and play video games on the GPU (yes, I know this is quite a task.) Three times during this task I saw the CPU temp in HWInfo spiked to a red 97.5 which means I'm throttling. I'm hoping six fans is enough in the O11 and that I don't need to occupy all nine, but is that the move or getting a better cooler? This machine is an ARGB :catdrugs: spectacular and it's disappointing to lose the Wraith because it's flashy AF, but I'm maybe reaching the limits of what it can do.

I should note I didn't notice any real performance issues during the job, but I'm worried about killing my CPU.

You are probably better off getting a better cooler and then putting some RGB fans on it.

There are even accessories to bring RGB to fans (Phanteks Halo Lux) made by manufacturers that do not make RGB fans. (Noctua)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You are probably better off getting a better cooler and then putting some RGB fans on it.

There are even accessories to bring RGB to fans (Phanteks Halo Lux) made by manufacturers that do not make RGB fans. (Noctua)

Yeah I'm looking into the Cooler Master MA410M and weighing that against just doing liquid for the aesthetic.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah I'm looking into the Cooler Master MA410M and weighing that against just doing liquid for the aesthetic.

That just looks like a 212 with an extra fan. It's probably fine, but it strikes me as overpriced even with all the extra RGB taken into account.

Ultimately when it comes to cooling a 65W cpu at stock settings, basically any basic tower cooler will get the job done, and what you're paying for beyond that basic tier level is either reduced noise (the MA410M may be marginally quieter than a regular 212) or aesthetic. So honestly just get whatever looks good to you from a reputable company.

edit: Also when it comes to RGB gear, always look at customer photos of it in an actual build so you can see how the lights actually appear. It's often much less impressive than the promo photos.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 25, 2021

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

As a fellow 3700X haver on an Arctic Freezer 34 the CPU happily sits around 4 GHz all the time. You can always strap RGB fans onto it if that's really your kink.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think I decided to get the new Fractal cooler because it's about $20 cheaper than EK and Lian-Li while also looking nice. I know it's more than what's necessary, but that allows me to move my exhaust fans to the bottom.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I've had some extremely bad luck 2 months into upgrading to a 5600x. Got a crash + BSOD watching a video, then stuck in an endless boot loop that mostly just showed 'CRITICAL PROCESS DIED' and occasionally a different error instead.

I spent half my night swapping out parts one by one with another computer and it's 100% an issue with the CPU which is unfortunate. Couldn't even boot into a recovery USB or get anywhere at all while it was still in the PC.

Luckily it's going to be an easy warranty claim and is already being sent back, but still a shame. It was a surprisingly significant boost from my old Ryzen 1600.

Funnily enough though, even with after upgrading to a B550 motherboard for the new gen Ryzen, my old 1600 works perfectly without technically being supported. So it's nice that the computer isn't completely out of action for a couple of weeks.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
a b550 will support ryzen 1st gen i thought?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Not as a matter of course. Some board manufacturers (like Asus?) support 1st gen anyway, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CoolCab posted:

a b550 will support ryzen 1st gen i thought?

not "officially", though there are enough stories of people getting away with it

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Toast King posted:

I've had some extremely bad luck 2 months into upgrading to a 5600x. Got a crash + BSOD watching a video, then stuck in an endless boot loop that mostly just showed 'CRITICAL PROCESS DIED' and occasionally a different error instead.

I spent half my night swapping out parts one by one with another computer and it's 100% an issue with the CPU which is unfortunate. Couldn't even boot into a recovery USB or get anywhere at all while it was still in the PC.

Luckily it's going to be an easy warranty claim and is already being sent back, but still a shame. It was a surprisingly significant boost from my old Ryzen 1600.

Funnily enough though, even with after upgrading to a B550 motherboard for the new gen Ryzen, my old 1600 works perfectly without technically being supported. So it's nice that the computer isn't completely out of action for a couple of weeks.

You know, there are actually broken Ryzen procs out of the box, from the factory. I've NEVER seen a busted Intel in all the years.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

redeyes posted:

You know, there are actually broken Ryzen procs out of the box, from the factory. I've NEVER seen a busted Intel in all the years.

Everything gets occasional doa or defective parts. Everything.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

redeyes posted:

Buddy, it’s because the chisels and hammers used to carve out 14nm++++++++++ chips are a proven science, by now.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

redeyes posted:

I've had busted goods from both vendors over the last couple of decades - it happens. Consumer protection has always been a thing here so it's never been a problem really.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Is there any reason to avoid buying a first gen Threadripper, found a couple cheap.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

CommieGIR posted:

Is there any reason to avoid buying a first gen Threadripper, found a couple cheap.
The IPC of Ryzen has come on so much first gen TRs don't look that impressive. To wit, 1950X vs 5900X.

https://openbenchmarking.org/vs/Processor/AMD%20Ryzen%20Threadripper%201950X%2016-Core,AMD%20Ryzen%209%205900X%2012-Core

2950X doesn't get much closer. Only the third gen TRs outpaces Zen 3 Ryzens. The only reason to get a early TR is if you have specific needs for PCIe lanes or a workload that will eat the quad channel memory bandwidth.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

redeyes posted:

I have relatively recently, Skylake X Xeons that just gave up the ghost

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
DOA rates are similar across most CPUs. Intel may have a lower return rate simply due to being LGA vs PGA, shifting returns mostly due to user error to motherboards rather than CPUs.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And even then, desktop Ryzen will be shipping as LGA with the next socket too, so even that will be similar.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah the prices are still kinda high for AM4 Ryzens so it was more "Oh look at sub $200 threadripper" that attracted me.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

redeyes posted:

It's the first actual issue I've had with a PC part in 10+ years so I can't really complain. Just strange to suddenly happen after a few months of working perfectly.

The Gigabyte motherboard specs only mention 3xxx+ support but I'd seen random reports of 1st gen Ryzen sometimes working. Didn't seem to be consistent anywhere though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Toast King posted:

The Gigabyte motherboard specs only mention 3xxx+ support but I'd seen random reports of 1st gen Ryzen sometimes working. Didn't seem to be consistent anywhere though.

IIRC it's down to whether the motherboard maker cheaped out on the BIOS flash, boards with a lower capacity flash couldn't fit the complete BIOS with support for every Zen generation so they dropped the older ones

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I think Threadrippers will become interesting value once the world moves on to DDR5. There's lots of videos on how people are using old DDR3 Xeons for getting threads relatively cheaply.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The difference with those old Xeons is that you can put a (now extremely cheap) Xeon on a consumer board. AMD locked it down so you can’t do that, despite being electrically compatible Epyc is firmware locked to not boot on Threadripper boards.

Intel is actually better in that respect, consumer LGA2066 boards can run Xeon-W chips still and the W-3175X boards can run Skylake-SP Xeon chips as well iirc. And some of the older Xeons are actually multiplier unlocked.

They did lock down the consumer socket Xeon’s a couple years ago though, when they moved to 1151.

So there will never be a flood of super cheap Epyc chips to put on Threadripper boards because they’re not compatible.

In the long run the appeal of Threadripper falls flat for the same reason it does right now. Why get a 16 core Zen1 chip with quad NUMA weirdness and $500 motherboards that will be matched by a 5800X and beaten by a 5900X in most tasks? If the answer is “memory” you’d better be Ok with RDIMM support being locked out entirely on AMDs consumer platforms (Intel does not do this on W-3175X) and you can’t ever use more than 256GB, it’s not like the old Intel servers where you can stick 512GB or 1TB in a system even from 10 years ago. If the answer is PCIe lanes and other IO… sure I guess, but the weak AVX performance, quad numa, and generally higher latency really erode the advantages of that if you ever need to actually do anything with the cpu you’re connecting those PCIe cards to.

And right now there is no Threadripper newer than Zen2, unfortunately.

Long term you will probably be able to buy a 5900X cheaper than a TR 1950X or 2950X and that’s just a better all around deal for most people unless you know you have some very specific need.

I’m a huge slut for X99 because I scored quite a few cheap boards over the years and you can get an overclockable Xeon 1660v3 (5960x equivalent) for $100 nowadays, and because it will be able to support ECC RDIMMs, but it's not really a financially supportable decision on the merits other than if you can snag really cheap hardware. And Threadripper is never going to have any of those benefits. The volume was never there for Threadripper chips/boards and AMD explicitly locked down the consumer platform to keep you from slapping a cheap surplus Epyc in it and undercutting the sale of newer processors. With all the concern about e-waste it’s kind of funny nobody has said that one about AMD but that’s what it is, instead of hitting the secondhand market they’ll go in the trash.

Oh and AMD also has this thing where you can firmware lock a chip so it’ll only run on one brand of motherboard, or even lock it to one specific board period, so it will be difficult to salvage server processors even if you have server boards to put them on. E-waste and forced obsolescence ahoy. They’re literal trash at that point.

Given the way AMD does their pricing right now, if you want “cheap old lower-performing processor with 12 or 16 cores” what you want is really just a single socket Epyc with one of the cheaper chips like 7402P or 7302P, and that will give you twice the PCIe lanes and more memory. The chips themselves are surprisingly cheap, boards are cheaper and more capable, and there’s offerings down to 8C if you really just want tons of IO and don’t care about cores, so the economics are actually strongly in favor of Epyc over Threadripper in terms of cost per PCIe lane or whatever if lanes are your goal.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 29, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
1st gen Threadripper has aged badly given the core counts weren't actually that high. Later ones where there are 32 or 64 core options should remain interesting for longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Which is rather ironic as the Ryzen series pretty much has all the server options enabled like ECC, etc.