Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So what did everyone think of the latest episode where Mxzly and Nzxly brawl all over time & space? Supergirl wasn't on for me because it showed the VMA Awards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Vietnamwees posted:

So what did everyone think of the latest episode where Mxzly and Nzxly brawl all over time & space? Supergirl wasn't on for me because it showed the VMA Awards.

It was the best episode since they’ve been back. I wouldn’t necessarily call it a great episode but it was better than the previous few.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Thomas Lennon owns.

jassa posted:

This episode was actually pretty decent! Though I'd be more invested in Lena's adventures with witchcraft if we had more than 9 episodes of the show remaining. I laughed when witch lady was telling her it took a lifetime to learn how to use magic properly because you just know Lena will somehow be an exception to that rule despite being such a skeptic.

:same:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I was reading the synopsis for episode fourteen and the cast list made me raise an eyebrow

SUPERGIRL stars Melissa Benoist as Kara Danvers/Supergirl, Chyler Leigh as Alex Danvers, David Harewood as Hank Henshaw, Mehcad Brooks as James Olsen, Jeremy Jordan as Winslow “Winn” Schott and Tyler Hoechlin as Superman.

Now the episode synopsis itself doesn't mention the spoilered names, so I'm wondering if it's crossed wires or something, but I want to believe Tiny Superman will show up this season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, I've met a lot of people from Newfoundland, and not one of them sounded like anyone in that episode, also its Newfundlund, you do not pronounce it like a sentence.

Also it feels a big late in the series to introduce an entirely new power set for Lena.

But this episode had a kitty so not all bad.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
A GIANT space kitty :colbert:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I've got to admit, that was a pretty clever way of reframing the previous episode.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That escalated quickly but I like how this is being framed

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Once again, man, it's so good to see Dig again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Once again, man, it's so good to see Dig again.

Is this just a random guest spot, or is this the long delayed final stop on the John Diggle I'm Not Allowed To Be The Green Lantern Because BrAnD pUrITy World Tour?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Is this just a random guest spot, or is this the long delayed final stop on the John Diggle I'm Not Allowed To Be The Green Lantern Because BrAnD pUrITy World Tour?

Dig literally just said he gave up the ring because he didn't want to leave his family.

This episode is maybe too on the nose, but also really well done imo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Dig literally just said he gave up the ring because he didn't want to leave his family.

This episode is maybe too on the nose, but also really well done imo.

Yeah a bit like two episodes ago it’s very blunt but needed to be said.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And remember always eat your vegetables

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Azie Tesfai, take a goddamn bow.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Uh, what crime are they charging the councilwoman with exactly? She's obviously cartoonishly evil, but aside from some light structural damage from her initial shockwave stomp thing it doesn't seem like any of their possible accusations would stick.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The crime of being evil, obviously.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

Uh, what crime are they charging the councilwoman with exactly? She's obviously cartoonishly evil, but aside from some light structural damage from her initial shockwave stomp thing it doesn't seem like any of their possible accusations would stick.

She killed her aide to get a sandwich.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

howe_sam posted:

She killed her aide to get a sandwich.

It is pretty funny that she basically had genie powers for a full day and all she got out of it was a sandwich and a small stack of money to bribe her coworker (and even that bribe was contingent upon the idea of more money to come).

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I tend to appreciate the on-the-nose episodes from these CW shows, even when they're cringeworthy, because the general culture seems either anti, or weirdly apologetic about Ess Jay Double-Ewe plots. Presenting it as a given positive is a-okay in my book.

That being said, good Lord, that was a jargon-heavy last conversation. I mean, drat.

Also this:

Maxwell Lord posted:

And remember always eat your vegetables

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I thought it was terrible, just like the environment episode. A one-off exercise in flagellating the audience stand-ins for not being better while not actually saying anything substantial about either the past, present or future of systemic racism (especially ironic with an actual dude from the future in the cast), just "it sucks and we need to pay more attention". And again, just like the environment episode, the issue was filtered through the superhero metaphor horribly.

The things in the episode absolutely need to be said, too bad that was somewhere between a sermon and an after-school special.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
That’s basically Supergirl.txt

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

McSpanky posted:

I thought it was terrible, just like the environment episode. A one-off exercise in flagellating the audience stand-ins for not being better while not actually saying anything substantial about either the past, present or future of systemic racism (especially ironic with an actual dude from the future in the cast), just "it sucks and we need to pay more attention". And again, just like the environment episode, the issue was filtered through the superhero metaphor horribly.

The things in the episode absolutely need to be said, too bad that was somewhere between a sermon and an after-school special.

I wonder how many more of these types episodes are left this season.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I feel like a big problem with this episode (and to a lesser extent this whole post-Phantom Zone season) plot is that Orlando and his brother were established early on to be aliens. Like, I get that we just opened the box on "oops all aliens" back in season 2/3 when they were immigrant/refugee metaphors. But I feel like it's really awkward to do a very special episode about race in America when your viewpoint characters are aliens, even if they're black aliens.

That said J'onn's speech was real good.

howe_sam posted:

Yeah but in the Batwoman and Flash cameos they talked about how something (presumably the Guardians) hosed with his head and I thought they might address that further/cure him in this show since it deals the most with aliens. Whatever though, it was nice to see Dig one more time.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 23, 2021

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I'm so confused by the Diggle cameos, especially with the "Worlds Await!" teaser as he departs. Fortunately I have little investment in his character as I stopped watching Arrow in S2 or 3, otherwise I imagine I'd be getting really frustrated at how they're wasting his appearances on each of the shows.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

McSpanky posted:

And they sort of made a point about how Supergirl always returns things to "normal" but normal is already bad, but... she's not actually going to stop doing that, is she? They're not actually going to have Supergirl do anything about any systemic issues or make the world of the show better than the real world in any meaningful way.

They did have that one politician arrested for unspecified crimes though. :shrug:

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
That was terrible.

"No one is doing anything, people are dying out there bloo bloo".
Oh now we have a plan to go and end this and save everyone.
"no I'll catch your superspeed rear end up, I've just got to redesign my costume and get a bunch of hair extensions put in first".
The new helmet is somehow worse than the original.

"oh you should be the new councillor now, you've fought as hard as anyone" - well if you count getting out of jail a couple of days ago and moving into an apartment, maybe everyone else has done literally nothing.

Also lol at Lena's book beating her back and her arriving after it was all done.

So I assume they are going to somehow fill in the gaps next week?
What happened when the original xyxzussply showed up and where did he go
How did Kara get out of the trap
Is Dreamer going to tell anyone that this is all her fault (or did they do that already and forgave her offscreen)

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 23, 2021

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

So I assume they are going to somehow fill in the gaps next week?
What happened when the original xyxzussply showed up and where did he go
How did Kara get out of the trap
Is Dreamer going to tell anyone that this is all her fault (or did they do that already and forgave her offscreen)

Did you miss last week's episode? Because this episode was filling in the gaps from that one.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

Did you miss last week's episode? Because this episode was filling in the gaps from that one.

Ha, looks like I did. When the start of this one rewound to the building collapse I just assumed this was the next one.
Shows how much I have bounced off this show that I didn't even realise I missed an episode.
It was still poo poo.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I have to admit, I completely misread where the episode was going. It might be because I don’t live in the US, but I thought they were setting up a public vs private healthcare episode.

I assumed the first hospital was an underfunded public hospital, while the councilwoman got her private one, and her powers were going to be a reflection of that; they would make her better while leeching away resources from everyone else, but her powers wouldn’t be quite as good as she hoped, so her villainous plan would be to spread more dust and turn people into magic batteries who were only just barely alive, which she chased the illusion of a dream outcome just for her. And then you either end with her realising that her plan to improve things is actually going to end up killing people and stop, or have Joey get injected with the same super treatment drug, giving him control of the magical powers, she becomes a magical battery for a very short period of time, and learns a very important lesson about equal distribution of magical powers for the best outcome for all.

Then everyone started talking about race and I got very confused.

Also, did anyone else have a laugh when they said the doctors think everyone will be fine, while all the patients were still out on the street? Did they make that diagnosis from the second story window?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think my biggest problem with the episode was that it felt like it wasn't set up properly. Like Supergirl has spent several episodes helping Kelly out with these exact same characters but because she wasn't helping out at the hospital all of a sudden she wasn't doing anything for these people?

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Supergirl was just focusing on the root cause of everyone’s problem, which is Princess Nxzly basically.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I like super enthusiastic J’onn

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Bummer!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'd love to know what Kara had to do to pass her test.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
See I was figuring she had to own up to her mistake rather than “fix” it but based on what Nyxly did I’m not sure

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I think Kara's challenge was a little too obtuse for her failure to land effectively. As it was we're, or at least I'm, left with no real sense for what Kara was supposed to do differently, and that sucks from a storytelling perspective. Like the only thing I can think is that Kara needed to show the courage to be selfish and not put herself on the line for everyone, but that's a terrible moral so it can't be right. Or that she needed to have the courage to let history play out as it had? But that feels too meta.

E: and EW dropped a story today about how later this season Lex and Nyxly are going to hook up so that'll be fun.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 29, 2021

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
"I remember this. I didn't go because I was afraid I'd be seen."

I think she was on the right track there, but what she really needed to do was allow herself to be seen (properly) by the world after rescuing the plane, instead of flying off.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it was odd that Nxly and Supergirl kept getting to redo their gauntlets over and over again without any repercussions.

And at what point did the Kryptonian hologram observe that Lena had magical powers!?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This magic vs. science thing is so dumb. I want to know what the writers think "science" is. Like, why can't you use science to study magic just like anything else? What's "unscientific" about magic? It seems to function consistently and require energy sources. What's the difference between "magic" and whatever it is that lets Kryptonians fly and shoot eye lasers and stuff? How do you even tell what's magic and what isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Brainy lol

Maxwell Lord posted:

I like super enthusiastic J’onn

:same:

I hope the other totems are this fun.