Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

May I approach the bitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This show continues to be good and I like it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What did you say? :mad:

robot roll call posted:

May I approach the bench?
.... :thunkher:

feedmyleg posted:

This show continues to be good and I like it

It was definitely a good decision on their part to make this show extremely loving good :hai:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I liked how miserable Colin Robinson became when Lazlo actually liked his Jar Jar BInks impression and that the conversation the men had was too inane even for him. Also, the vampires are too dumb for Gizmo's subtle manipulations to work.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved that the logic for disbelieving him claiming "people have been saying..." was that people don't TALK to each other anymore!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I love that it’s now lore that vampires just become incredibly stupid when they’re turned.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I also love how that whenever they show pictures of the vampires in previous decades their fashion is appropriate for the time, but right now they dress how they did when they were mortal.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One thing I really dug in the movie was that they explained it was really difficult figuring out what to wear since they couldn't use mirrors (they'd just quickly sketch each other to show what they looked like) plus they got most of their clothes from victims so everything they wore was a weird mish-mash of different fashions from across the decades.

I mean, they're also INCREDIBLY stupid so they didn't consider that they could take photos or videos of themselves in clothes, and it took Stu to introduce them to basic internet and computer stuff including online shopping that had been around for like 20 years at that point. v:shobon:v

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

I love that it’s now lore that vampires just become incredibly stupid when they’re turned.

My theory is it's a learned form of stupidity that happens gradually over time. After being turned the only thing vampires need to do to stay alive is hunt and kill, so those are the only skills they regularly practice. For everything else they find some chump like Gizmo to do it for them. After decades upon decades of living this way they gradually degrade into immature hedonists with very little understanding of how the world around them works.

Vampires might act like superior beings, but in reality they're more like parasites. Humans don't need vampires, but vampires absolutely need humans (as both food and familiars) or else they would not survive.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Except Derek has turned dumb as rocks in mere months.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

Except Derek has turned dumb as rocks in mere months.

Given his behavior at the vampire hunter meeting I think I might have been a little dumb before becoming a vamp, or at least a little oblivious to social norms what with his whole "Hey, let's all have sex with each other so we can make sure no one is a virgin!" idea.

In his defense: If I suddenly became undead I doubt I would know how to behave either, and I would absolutely want a hellhound license be damned.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It all tracks for me. He's an awkward dweeb who unexpectedly became a vampire. As he pointed out, nobody gives you a handbook on how to be cool and sexy—authentic Victorian clothes are probably pretty hard to come by on a budget.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Nandor was a Persian nobleman…the Persians understood astronomy and did not have a heliocentric view of the universe.

Nandor was actively dumb as a mortal.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Marsupial Ape posted:

Nandor was a Persian nobleman…the Persians understood astronomy and did not have a heliocentric view of the universe.

Nandor was actively dumb as a mortal.

The United States has a space exploration org, but we still have people who are flat earthers. You can be stupid/ignorant just because your society is advanced for it's time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nandor was a warloard, they're not exactly scholars.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

muscles like this! posted:

He was Nandor the Relentless, not Nandor the Guy Who Understands Space Stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

This loving sky.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

This loving sky.

gently caress :xd:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

This season sucks.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Given that the turtles om elephants theory wasn't native to Iran means that he was actively seeking knowledge though. He was just seeking for the wrong knowledge.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Where did that come from originally? I've heard of it before but never its cultural origin.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Given that the turtles om elephants theory wasn't native to Iran means that he was actively seeking knowledge though. He was just seeking for the wrong knowledge.

He read lots of Terry Pratchett.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Ratios and Tendency posted:

This season sucks.

I'm gonna need some specifics 'cause this take is wild to me. Something about it in particular just not clicking for you? The writing is definitely different in some regards but every episode has been a complete banger so far imo

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'd put the Atlantic City episode up with their best stuff. It was hilarious.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Sab Sabbington posted:

I'm gonna need some specifics 'cause this take is wild to me. Something about it in particular just not clicking for you? The writing is definitely different in some regards but every episode has been a complete banger so far imo

Not who you were quoting but I’m actually finding it a bit less funny than the previous 2 for some reason, I’m still enjoying it but it’s not quite doing it for me as much and I can’t put my finger on why.

I think the “loving guy” thing is getting a bit stale but I’m not super into catchphrase comedy so maybe that’s just me. I also feel like Colin Robinsons character is quite different to the previous seasons and I’m not quite getting it.

I wouldn’t say it sucks but it’s definitely the weakest season for me so far

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Where did that come from originally? I've heard of it before but never its cultural origin.

The nearest country of origin for Nandor would be India.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm enjoying the season but I think they're going a little heavy on sean, loving Guy's getting catch phrasey, and they're overall just a little too nice.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'll agree that I don't think this season is bad at all, and I like that they're changing up the premise a bit, but I also think the show and the characters feel a little different, especially Colin. I'm guessing the fact that Jemaine Clement isn't involved any more probably has something to do with it. But I also really liked the last two episodes, so the show clearly has juice in it.

I went back to rewatch some season 1 episodes and one thing that I realized was that they've never done anything with the reveal of the Baron not actually being dead.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This season is good. That being said, it's less gag-heavy and more serialized than before. It's inching into sitcom territory, whereas before it leaned more into the mockumentary side of things. I can see it resonating with someone less, even if I don't mind the new direction.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Colin has had a certain edginess in him after his big promotion at work. I do wonder if something is going on with his powers this season as we've seen him doubt himself and his origins and fail miserably when trying to feed. He should've drained the consciousness out of Mikey and Seanie getting them to play that boardgame. It's flipped his dynamic from being a kind of threat to the vampires to being completely dismissible.

That said this season has been killing me. One specific joke we keep coming back to is the emotional vampire weed guy/ sneakerhead because we know someone exactly like that. I had to explain to our friend why my husband was laughing so hard tears were pouring because he came over to smoke and then started talking about his jordan collection.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

and they're overall just a little too nice.

Nadia ripped someone's heart out and they made a boxer punch someone's head off.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just loved the bit with Guillermo “locked up” in the basement then coming out every day to remove all the corpses and clean the house and go back and none of them ever even noticed. I assume Colin Robinson did but he didn’t care.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alhazred posted:

Nadia ripped someone's heart out and they made a boxer punch someone's head off.

Sure but that's nadia. She hated Gail for christs sake

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It was a pretty good joke that the conversation was too inane to drain and they enjoyed the board game too much to drain also, then was stunned by the mlm sell

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, the fact that standard suburban life is far more mundane than anything an energy vampire can come up with is hilarious.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
The lead up to the mlm pitch had some energy that reminded me of a particular episode of Joe Pera Talks with You that kind of flipped the expected dudebro dynamic and turned the situation into something a lot more emotionally open--only in this case it hugely pissed Colin off since everything was just kind of passively boring right up until the end.

Still can't stop laughing when I think about him telling the dude no when he goes to slap his leg

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Sab Sabbington posted:

The lead up to the mlm pitch had some energy that reminded me of a particular episode of Joe Pera Talks with You that kind of flipped the expected dudebro dynamic and turned the situation into something a lot more emotionally open--only in this case it hugely pissed Colin off since everything was just kind of passively boring right up until the end.

Still can't stop laughing when I think about him telling the dude no when he goes to slap his leg

That was amazing seeing Colin get exasperated. That and his failure to annoy Lazlo with the Jar Jar voice were great moments.

I subscribed to the podcast “Not you Guillermo” to listen to while walking the dog and it’s pretty good. This week they have Anthony Atamaniuk on it (Sean) and it was fun.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I know it was probably mentioned before but I like that Lazlo and Sean are actually good friends now.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gaunab posted:

I know it was probably mentioned before but I like that Lazlo and Sean are actually good friends now.

Yeah, same. I like that he's actually kinda approaching 'benign', at least so far as an undead killer parasite goes.

Turns out if you scorn power and content yourself with suckin', fuckin' and hangin' out with your buds you might wind up a better (un)person!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Gaunab posted:

Sean’s wife holding Nadia’s hand as they went to the show was a nice little touch. I found it incredibly endearing.

Also, I want Nandor finds love by the end of the season. Hopefully with something truly monstrous.