Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's the worst tag team to ever win a major tag title? Actual tag teams, not just two people thrown together on a whim.

The Animal & Heidenreich version of Legion of Doom won the WWE Tag belts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

The Animal & Heidenreich version of Legion of Doom won the WWE Tag belts.

Yeah, but unlike the Harris Twins, at least they're not literal loving nazi scum.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah, but unlike the Harris Twins, at least they're not literal loving nazi scum.

Oh, if we're talking worst human beings rather than worst wrestlers then Brothers of Destruction

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Oh, if we're talking worst human beings rather than worst wrestlers then Brothers of Destruction

At least they're not loving nazis... wait.

At least one of them isn't a loving nazi.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Gangstas. Think about New Jack's lovely working ability....

And then remind yourself that Mustafa was worse.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Dawgstar posted:

Maybe if you'd sent him to Memphis for a stretch which I understand had the rep of 'if you can't make it here you can't make it anywhere.' Between the loops forcing you to be adaptable and being just regular practice and working with some of the best people around you sort of had no choice to evolve.

I was thinking about him staying in Japan, I hadn't even considered Memphis or the other holdout territories.

What got me thinking about it is how AEW has handled Jade Cargill and about how Magee would be trained today.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

edogawa rando posted:

wasn't heidenrich supposed to be a nazi that was frozen for decades?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DEAR RICHARD posted:

the story is that was the original pitch for him and when vince heard it he just stood up and left the room

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Yes, but that was a rejected pitch for a gimmick. By that logic, you might as well say that it's not Stone Cold, but rather, Chilly McFreeze Steve Austin that ushered in the Attitude Era at WrestleMania XIV.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Alaois posted:

the story is that was the original pitch for him and when vince heard it he just stood up and left the room

People have always assumed that Vince walked out because the idea was too dumb, but isn't it more likely that he was just overawed by the idea?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

edogawa rando posted:

Yes, but that was a rejected pitch for a gimmick. By that logic, you might as well say that it's not Stone Cold, but rather, Chilly McFreeze Steve Austin that ushered in the Attitude Era at WrestleMania XIV.

steve "bearcat" austin

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

edogawa rando posted:

At least they're not loving nazis... wait.

At least one of them isn't a loving nazi.

Which one is a nazi? I know Kane is a libertarian, but I don't think I've ever heard any nazi stuff.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's the worst tag team to ever win a major tag title? Actual tag teams, not just two people thrown together on a whim.

Men on a Mission won the WWF Tag Team Title; the story goes that Mabel couldn't get up from a cover quick enough so the ref had to count three

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Super Dan posted:

Which one is a nazi? I know Kane is a libertarian, but I don't think I've ever heard any nazi stuff.

Undertaker isn't an out and out Nazi (as opposed to the Harris Brothers with their SS rune tattoo) but he is a racist piece if poo poo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oh wow. Ever seen that before. Okay, yeah, nazi

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'd seen that picture before but never read the text on the shirt under the bolts. What the gently caress?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Something about fine art and Harley Davidsons? I know bikies love Nazi poo poo

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

People have always assumed that Vince walked out because the idea was too dumb, but isn't it more likely that he was just overawed by the idea?

it was like marty playing guitar in back to the future, and the guy watching immediately picked up the phone to call people about it

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Seams posted:

Something about fine art and Harley Davidsons? I know bikies love Nazi poo poo

Blending Fine Art And Harley Davidson. I guess they're okay with some stuff mixing.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
If we're talking about just not very talented/over tag teams, late period WCW is not lacking in choices: in addition to the Harris Boys you also have KroniK, The Perfect Event, and the Natural Born Thrillers (teams like The Boogie Knights and Misfits in Action too, but Alex Wright and Chavo Guerrero were just stuck in bad gimmicks, not actively dogshit).

WWF/E has plenty of contenders too: the Godwinns, the Headbangers, Right to Censor, La Resistance (FOUR TIME CHAMPS), The Spirit Squad, Deuce N Domino, The Corre, and the New Nexus all come to mind, though a few of those are more "awful gimmicks, decent workers" too.

I don't even know who the hell half of these teams are, but post-WCW schism the NWA tag belts have been held by
- The New Midnight Express (Bart Gunn & Bob Holly)
- A team called xXx that doesn't involve Chris Daniels or Elix Skipper or Low Ki,
- Team Extreme (not the Hardys)
- The Heavenly Bodies (not featuring Pritchard, Lane, or del Ray)
- The Shane Twins (aka The Gymini aka The Johnsons)

Somehow that sort of "monmouth county's second greatest BON JOVI tribute band playing TONIGHT ON THE BOARDWALK!!!" version of tag teams annoys me more than like Deuce N Domino, who are poo poo all on their own

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Did the Nasty Boys ever have the belts? Can’t check at the moment.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

KroniK ruled. But I will concede they were awesomely bad.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Like 4 or 5 times altogether

Edit: 3 WCW, 1 WWE

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zombie Lemur posted:

I was thinking about him staying in Japan, I hadn't even considered Memphis or the other holdout territories.

What got me thinking about it is how AEW has handled Jade Cargill and about how Magee would be trained today.

I feel like when Magee could have used it Memphis was still thriving enough to give him more than enough of an education, but somebody should feel free to correct me. I was thinking specifically of the story of how Rick Rude was bouncing around and just didn't Get It but working with the guys in Memphis and the nearly constant house shows were where Rude finally clued in. Like he was so stiff somebody (Dutch Mantell? One of the Fantastics?) told him to tease taking off his robe basically so it lessened the time he would get potato'd by Rude.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 29, 2021

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Dawgstar posted:

I feel like when Magee could have used it Memphis was still thriving enough to give him more than enough of an education, but somebody should feel free to correct me. I was thinking specifically of the story of how Rick Rude was bouncing around and just didn't Get It but working with the guys in Memphis and the nearly constant house shows were where Rude finally clued in. Like he was so stiff somebody (Dutch Mantell? One of the Fantastics?) told him to tease taking off his robe basically so it lessened the time he would get potato'd by Rude.

I know Mick Foley said he learned a ton in Memphis during the late 80's, if Magee had gone he would've been there around the same time or even earlier.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Maxwell Lord posted:

I hate to be put in a situation to defend the Nasty Boys, but if you put them in a situation where they could brawl all over the building, they could be entertaining as hell. They had really fun matches with Cactus Jack/Maxx Payne and Public Enemy on WCW shows in the 90s. If WWE embraced that sort of match 8 or 9 years earlier, I'd be they'd be remembered more fondly.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Zombie Lemur posted:

On the topic of Tom Magee, could he have been salvaged?

There have been so many untalented big men who have had at least decentish careers it feels like someone with his freakish athleticism could have done something.
I think the correct answer is "probably not," because he did not appear to get how in-ring wrestling worked at all. But there's an asterisk because it doesn't seem like the WWF made any kind of effort to give him a real learning environment and we've now seen multiple examples of great workers cleverly carrying him.

Dawgstar posted:

Famously Ted DiBiase got a slightly better match out of him for the simple reason of instead of doing strikes that Magee no-sold because he didn't know how to sell, he just started punching Magee for real.
Not exactly: Magee knew to sell, but he was terrible at it, and DiBiase limited his strikes to chops. Since they're safe but they actually hurt, it helped their match a lot. But those were all things I deduced and wrote about when the match was released, not anything DiBiase has said. At least as far as I know.

NikkolasKing posted:

So far as I know, The Hardyz most famous tag matches were all stipulation affairs. They brought the Ladders to TLC, after all.

Can you think of any regular tag matches involving them you'd recommend?
I have to second the recommendation for the MNM match from Royal Rumble 2007. That match is incredible. As in it feels like those two teams had figured things out to the degree that an extended feud would have been Midnight Express vs. Rock 'n' Roll Express-level great. The degree to which they're in sync is jaw-dropping.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Given his leaping ability I wonder if he might have been better off being trained in a Lucha style

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

I don't know all that much about non North American wrestling, just got back into it after awhile when AEW came out. I loved the focus on tag team wrestling, and I kind of expected a cool women's tag team division from the start. Is there a reason that never happened? Is it more important to establish the singles division first?

Also, are there periods of time from around the globe that had like a serious women's tag team division full of fun teams? I would like to check those out. Tag teams are the best

Edit: I am aware of the tournament and the recent match, and I loved all that poo poo. I'm just more curious why there hasn't been a focus on that stuff at all

Sex Farm fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 29, 2021

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Poasty posted:

I don't know all that much about non North American wrestling, just got back into it after awhile when AEW came out. I loved the focus on tag team wrestling, and I kind of expected a cool women's tag team division from the start. Is there a reason that never happened? Is it more important to establish the singles division first?

Also, are there periods of time from around the globe that had like a serious women's tag team division full of fun teams? I would like to check those out. Tag teams are the best

Edit: I am aware of the tournament and the recent match, and I loved all that poo poo. I'm just more curious why there hasn't been a focus on that stuff at all

Until quite recently I'd say that they had too shallow of a talent pool on the women's side to get a proper tag division going alongside the singles one.

There's also the perennial AEW problem of having too many extremely cool and good talents who deserve to be on TV but too little time to feature them all.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, aew just has a lot of people and tends to move fairly slow. they do seem to be pairing off the division fairly naturally over recent months + that will probably inspire a new tournament soon. smart money's on the former iiconics being involved when it happens

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Poasty posted:

I've heard good things about Impact's womens tag division from their thread, but never watched it so can't really comment. In terms of Joshi promotions, SEAdLINNNG in particular has a consistently incredible tag division and I'm a big fan of TJPW's as well

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Poasty posted:

Please watch every SEAdLINNNG tag team championship match from the last year or so. I posted most of them in the match of the year thread.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Poasty posted:

Is there a reason that never happened?

Just a very small talent pool to choose from. The original idea was that it was going to be a showcase for Joshi wrestling like the WCW Cruiserweight matches were a Lucha/Liger showcase. Local talent supporting a rotating cast of international workers. COVID put the kibosh on it.

Women's wrestling never truly managed to get further than a side show attraction or sexual titillation in the west after Moolah and Billy Wolfe slowly destroyed all of Mildred Burke's hard work until Shimmer, NXT, and the Women's Revolution (which current WWE is trying to reverse). So there's only about one generation deep of true talent and dedicated trainers at the moment and most of them either in Impact or WWE. Britt Baker, for example, was trained by Candice LeRae and Johnny Gargano. Most of the best women wrestlers in AEW were seasoned by trips to Japan. See Thunder Rosa being absolutely hopeless in Lucha Underground before she trained in MMA and went to TJPW.

This lack of talent in the west is compounded by the fact that women's wrestling in Japan basically died in 00s, despite some valorous attempts to save it, very slowly recovered over 10s, and even now when promotions have stopped shuttering left and right, exists in a fallen state. The Joshi dark ages were a large enough interruption that it's arguable whether the best of today reach the heights of prime All Japan Womens and its competitors in the 80s and 90s (some people love the 70s as well). Much of it available here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnFZKoc1UcDgdF6pDLevx3Q and here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32X24xrKsOcSs8v1SErk8g/videos

That's not to say there's no hope, particularly since AEW came around and values high level women's wrestling for its own sake.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 29, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

KroniK ruled. But I will concede they were awesomely bad.
KroniK weren't good workers or promos, but they genuinely had that "presence" that is hard to define. At the least, they stood out for having great physiques in an ocean of WCW guys who all basically had the same look.

Mideon/P.I. Godwinn competed in two different tag teams as two different characters in the WWF; I wonder how many people have done that? If he and Viscera had actually won the title, he'd probably be the only guy to pull that off.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm gonna say:

Worst people: Harris Twins

Worst workers: Men on a Mission

Worst storyline: Billy and Chuck

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
morbidly curious about the all asia tag title run of TARU and Big Daddy Voodoo

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Also, what happened between TARU and Super Hate? There was a fight and Super Hate suffered brain damage?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Halloween Jack posted:

Mideon/P.I. Godwinn competed in two different tag teams as two different characters in the WWF; I wonder how many people have done that? If he and Viscera had actually won the title, he'd probably be the only guy to pull that off.

Does Kane as Fake Diesel count? I can't remember if Fake Razor and him was a tag team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't see why not. It's not like they acknowledge that they're the same guy. He never won any titles as Isaac Yankem or Diesel, did he?