Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

K8.0 posted:

Unbelievably bad, but so is all mouse software. You can't fully turn RGB off no matter what, profile saving to mouse straight up doesn't work so you have to run Synapse if you want RGB even mostly gone, and if it decides to install Cortex on you you've got a huge backdoor open that eats a few hundred megs of unpageable memory every hour.

Corsair's software is arguably worse, Logitech's is about as bad but Logitech at least lets you properly disable RGB via onboard profiles for the most part, although every Logitech mouse I've seen will occasionally "forget" that you want RGB disabled and turn it back on, forcing you to reinstall it to deal with that.

This is just straight up not true at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Sounds like I should stick with cheap, disposable G600s until a Windows update finally breaks LGS (which sucks, but it sucks less than all the other options, apparently), then.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My wired mouse only wakes the PC with a click. My wireless mouse wakes it with any input, movements included. This probably isn't configurable, right? I'm guessing it might have to do with the wired mouse getting less power during sleep.

The wireless one is a couch mouse, making its behavior rather annoying.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

K8.0 posted:

Unbelievably bad, but so is all mouse software. You can't fully turn RGB off no matter what, profile saving to mouse straight up doesn't work so you have to run Synapse if you want RGB even mostly gone, and if it decides to install Cortex on you you've got a huge backdoor open that eats a few hundred megs of unpageable memory every hour.

Razer Synapse was the one with a security hole that let you elevate your Windows access to admin by plugging in a Razer device, if I remember right. Nobody else has managed that level of fuckup yet I think.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

And what what would happen if I never install any drivers? I just want a comfy mouse with good quality switches.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thoom posted:

Sounds like I should stick with cheap, disposable G600s until a Windows update finally breaks LGS (which sucks, but it sucks less than all the other options, apparently), then.
The onboard memory editor for my G603 is actually decent, I wouldn't touch GHUB with a 10ft pole though. Even the last LGS versions before they launched GHUB were terrible already.

KinkyJohn posted:

And what what would happen if I never install any drivers? I just want a comfy mouse with good quality switches.
The default driver is alright, it doesn't give you any of the following options (probably missed a few) if you need them though:
  • reassigning buttons (sometimes middle mouse and m4/m5 have weird default assignments or none at all)
  • use more than 5 mouse buttons
  • turning RGB on/off
  • adjusting special features (eg. some of my Logitech mice have these dual mode wheels, if you spin them fast they go from the default ratchet into free-spin mode, in software you can just lock them to either mode if you prefer that)
  • saving DPI profiles

Some mice have onboard memory which allows you to set them up, save your settings, then uninstall the software (or they come with an independent memory manager application which you only have to launch once).

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 28, 2021

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)
I've found that what improves my workflow the most is the most sensitive DPI mice.
I was using a Razer Deathadder with macros assigned to the 2/3 limited buttons and the rest on hot corners for about 6 years,
but Razor doesn't care about Mac support and the Synapse software is sub-standard at best and no longer even supported on Mac.
I've switched over to the Corsair M65, and the software works, but the build isn't nearly as solid as Deathadder. I'm on my 3rd M65 in less than 2 years

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Did Microsoft or anyone else ever release a successor or similar mouse to the Microsoft Sculpt Mobile Mouse? I need a new one soon but they've been discontinued.

What I need: Nothing fancy. Wireless. Light, not big. Some friction underneath so that it stays in place unless you intentionally move it. Max €50.

Edit: n/m. Went for the Sculpt Comfort Mouse.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 29, 2021

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Thoom posted:

Why are you me

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

PirateBob posted:

Did Microsoft or anyone else ever release a successor or similar mouse to the Microsoft Sculpt Mobile Mouse? I need a new one soon but they've been discontinued.

What I need: Nothing fancy. Wireless. Light, not big. Some friction underneath so that it stays in place unless you intentionally move it. Max €50.
https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Sculpt-Mobile-Mouse-43U-00001/dp/B00C7D0IXW

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

isndl posted:

Razer Synapse was the one with a security hole that let you elevate your Windows access to admin by plugging in a Razer device, if I remember right. Nobody else has managed that level of fuckup yet I think.

TBQH I don't know that I'd call that Razer's fuckup. That happened because windows automatically fetches drivers from WU, and starts the install with admin privileges. Only thing razer did was display an explorer picker. There are likely 100s of other drivers on WU that do the same.

IMO that is MS's fuckup, first by auto-escalating privileges without user input, and last by the permanently broken windows user security model. A million years ago they made some bad decisions, and then they never fully fixed them because convenience & compatibility were more important.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Argas posted:

Why are you me

I was reading amazon reviews of the G600 a few days ago and there are some that are like "I've used 3 g600's over the past 6 years because I keep covering them with mountain dew and cheetos, great mouse"

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Minus the mountain dew and cheetos, that sounds about right. I bought my current G600 in August 2019 and it's just starting to double click.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm on my second G600. The first one started double-clicking on the left mouse button so I desoldered the switch and put in a japanese omron (D2F-01F? The internal contacts are gold plated so they resist corrosion better than the chinese omrons).

Like two weeks after I fixed the mouse button, the scroll wheel died. I have the parts to repair it but haven't got around to it yet, I'm using a new G600 right now.

A lot of people don't know that there are weights installed inside the G600. Taking it apart, removing the weights, and putting on new mouse feet make it feel a lot nicer. I was really enjoying my refurbed old one before the scroll wheel died.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I always laughed at the telephone mouse.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here with my G700 and :v:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

My Logitech LS1 is kicking the bucket after an eternity of loyal service.

What mice should I be looking at if I don't want to spend too much, strongly prefer wired, am deathly allergic to extreme gamer aesthetic and RGB and really don't want to have to install lovely software to disable it?

Having horizontal scroll would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Geemer posted:

My Logitech LS1 is kicking the bucket after an eternity of loyal service.

What mice should I be looking at if I don't want to spend too much, strongly prefer wired, am deathly allergic to extreme gamer aesthetic and RGB and really don't want to have to install lovely software to disable it?

Having horizontal scroll would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker.

The best general purpose mouse with a horizontal scroll wheel I've found (and have been using for work for a year-ish now) is the Logitech MX master 3. But, it's wireless if that's a deal breaker for you.

For general purpose mousing it's hard to beat - a bit heavy but there are a lot of features.

I haven't tried it for any sort of gaming though so YMMV.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Thanks, I'll check it out! Wireless isn't a deal breaker, I just never understood why you'd want it on a desktop.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Geemer posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out! Wireless isn't a deal breaker, I just never understood why you'd want it on a desktop.

Mainly cables are ugly and unfashionable, and the downsides of wireless mice have been steadily improved on over the years (no perceptible lag, much longer lasting batteries).

Hardcore gamers also appreciate not needing to worry about the cord resistance when making sudden wide movements (remember mouse bungees?).

But yes, most people having a laptop is a major factor in favour of wireless and also of device switching features like the MX Master has.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

K8.0 posted:

It's still a piece of poo poo. RGB settings don't save to your mouse, and any time you lock your PC the RGB goes to the default color cycling behavior.

My favourite Razer thing is that if you use openrazer on Linux and set RGB there, it absolutely does save the lighting settings to the mouse as it persists even in Windows, so the abilities there. They just don't let you do it to make you run synapse I guess?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I can never go back to wired mice. Cables only get in the way. They snag on things, add to the clutter, and honestly it's great just being able to use your mouse in whatever way you can imagine. The secret best reason is being able to use the mouse in your hoody pocket during the coldest days of winter.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
How do you use a mouse inside a hoodie pocket?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thoom posted:

Minus the mountain dew and cheetos, that sounds about right. I bought my current G600 in August 2019 and it's just starting to double click.

You don't think this is good though do you? I went through a few mice trying to find the right one before getting a SteelSeries sensei (raw), that thing lasted me about 6-7 years before the double click started. Great mouse.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

codo27 posted:

You don't think this is good though do you? I went through a few mice trying to find the right one before getting a SteelSeries sensei (raw), that thing lasted me about 6-7 years before the double click started. Great mouse.

It sucks, but no other mouse meets all my criteria (12 button thumb grid, ring finger button), and needing to spend $17/yr on mice isn't a deal breaker.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is there any sort of mouse form factor standard? I'm starting to think my current mouse is failing and might need to shop for one soon, but I seem to like them relatively large, and online stuff tends be terrible for showing size, and covid means you can't really go in and manhandle the products anymore.

Right now I'm using a Roccat Kone EMP, previously had a Logitech G5 that I loved to bits. Any recommendations from the thread?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah I like a large/heavy mouse too, but unfortunately for us they're going excinct. Small/light is the market's preference now.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Is there any sort of mouse form factor standard? I'm starting to think my current mouse is failing and might need to shop for one soon, but I seem to like them relatively large, and online stuff tends be terrible for showing size, and covid means you can't really go in and manhandle the products anymore.

Right now I'm using a Roccat Kone EMP, previously had a Logitech G5 that I loved to bits. Any recommendations from the thread?

Rtings has a tool to compare shape, which is probably the best way to do so aside from trying them all yourself: https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tools/3d-model-shape-compare?orientation=3D

mewse
May 2, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Logitech relaunched the mx518 which is the same shape as the old G5

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Buck Turgidson posted:

How do you use a mouse inside a hoodie pocket?

I'm a filthy mouse acceleration user, so I don't need a large mousing surface.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I mean, c'mon. You own a measuring tape right? Product listings have dimensions

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Just had a Glorious Model D wireless delivered today and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. The new switches feel great. Tight with a nice snappy click and even the wheel is tighter. The only quirk I've run into is with the new software and rgb. The colors in the app are out of sync with what the mouse displays.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

is there a way to simulate a second dpi shift button on a logitech mouse using only the on-board memory? (i.e. having a second dpi shift button that selects a dpi that is different than your first dpi shift button)

you can simulate a second dpi shift button using macros in ghub, but the macros will not save to the on-board memory

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I don't have much of a choice in going with wireless devices because my cat chews on my cables, especially sleeved ones. Insert joke about cat and mice.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

runawayturtles posted:

Rtings has a tool to compare shape, which is probably the best way to do so aside from trying them all yourself: https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tools/3d-model-shape-compare?orientation=3D

Thank you for this, very useful!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve been using my laptop a lot more on the couch and I’d really like to not use the trackpad anymore. I was looking for couch mice and this is kinda the only thing that came up

Image Wireless USB Handheld Finger Trackball Mouse with Laser Pointer https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0057KL2AU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_H5X5S0FPCDNQ6EXSMF0D?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone have a better suggestion? It’s not super expensive and it seems like it might just work the best for a couch situation.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Trackballs are great for couch/chair mousing, but I don't know about that form factor. Of course, I can also just palm an M570, it might be more appealing if I couldn't.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Trackballs are great for couch/chair mousing, but I don't know about that form factor. Of course, I can also just palm an M570, it might be more appealing if I couldn't.
Yep, same. Was also going to suggest grabbing an M570 since I'm able to hold it basically like a remote and it's comfortable and perfectly usable. However, I have larger, sexier hands and I can see someone with smaller mitts having an awkward time or it slipping out and breaking on the floor.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just checked the M570 and would it really be comfortable to hold? I guess I’m having a hard time picturing that.

Also it looks like it’s been discontinued but the price isn’t significant yet.

It does seem like a good alternative!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I just checked the M570 and would it really be comfortable to hold? I guess I’m having a hard time picturing that.

Also it looks like it’s been discontinued but the price isn’t significant yet.

It does seem like a good alternative!
Can hold it vertically and brace the bottom with your pinky & ring finger:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
whats a good wireless mouse that has a lot of programmable shobuttons? the wireless razer naga trinity looks like it would fit the bill but ive been burned so much by low quality gaming mice that paying $150 for something that might work for 2 years feels wasteful. I'd give the chinese brands off Amazon a shot but I feel ehh about installing dodgy button programming software (even though Razer had that big security flaw too).