Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

I wish we could PLEASE stop successfully completing goon projects

Goon project: domestic terror organization?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A Bad Poster posted:

Was it because it showed the Israelis and Palestinians working together?

(Adjusts glasses) I believe that scene was the Iraqis and Israelis. And the reason they didn’t have cooperation was the US armed forces were largely ineffective and the majority of the success came from civilian effort, and they wanted the references to Area 51 cut.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

I wish we could PLEASE stop successfully completing goon projects

On the other hand, the mobile game Slice & Dice is a goon project and it's one of the best games i've played this year.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Crab Dad posted:

Same ship that had the Navy wide Hide and Go seek champion (was in the same division).

Overboard?

We had a Christmas without our father once because his ship got back from WESTPAC on the 27th, because they had to double back and search for a very obvious suicide. Dude left his shoes and uniform neatly folded on the fantail.

Apparently the homecoming was pretty subdued because his wife and kid were there, and the entire ship (and all the wives) were angry at him. At least nobody told her that he probably changed his mind when he got hit by the first ship that was under tow. And definitely changed his mind when he hit the second one.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Oh and Andy Ngo I'm sure you or one of your incel shitheads are namesearching you, eat the foreign equivalent of a dick in whatever shithole you fled to because America was brutally assaulting you with milkshakes

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Why do they always leave their shoes :(

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

They don't need them anymore.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

GD_American posted:

Oh and Andy Ngo I'm sure you or one of your incel shitheads are namesearching you, eat the foreign equivalent of a dick in whatever shithole you fled to because America was brutally assaulting you with milkshakes

Lmao dude's afraid of ice cream

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

aphid_licker posted:

Goon project: domestic terror organization?
I'm sure many of us have enough hours in Liberal Crime Squad to see this through to completion.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

GD_American posted:

Overboard?

We had a Christmas without our father once because his ship got back from WESTPAC on the 27th, because they had to double back and search for a very obvious suicide. Dude left his shoes and uniform neatly folded on the fantail.

Apparently the homecoming was pretty subdued because his wife and kid were there, and the entire ship (and all the wives) were angry at him. At least nobody told her that he probably changed his mind when he got hit by the first ship that was under tow. And definitely changed his mind when he hit the second one.
I don't know if it's the same incident Crab Dad is talking about, but there was a case a few years back where a guy disappeared and everyone thought he was overboard but he was literally hiding on the ship for days or maybe even weeks.

Like all crazy military stories it's entirely possible it's happened more than once.

e: okay, yeah, that's the guy. :(

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 29, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's to tell people to not look for him.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/12/30/exclusive-how-peter-mims-spent-a-week-hiding-in-a-warships-engine-room/

Dude was special and didnt belong in the navy. He was treated horrendously both before and after the event.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I know why they do it, it's a rhetorical question.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

GD_American posted:

Do you think Andy Ngo reads the forums in his super lovely affected "British" accent?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t think that Andy Ngo has an internal monologue.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Crab Dad posted:

It's to tell people to not look for him.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/12/30/exclusive-how-peter-mims-spent-a-week-hiding-in-a-warships-engine-room/

Dude was special and didnt belong in the navy. He was treated horrendously both before and after the event.

God drat, that's heartbreaking to read through. Guy was clearly unwell, but the grinder of readiness must go on, so we'll write him an eval talking about "potential" (not a good thing) and keep the press on.

That being said...

quote:

“The CO stated GSM3 Mims, ‘didn’t kill himself. He’s still on the ship,’” the investigation states.
Skipper called it right from the start. :shrug:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

wow, jesus. I barely remember the story but now I'm in the rabbit hole on that CO and it's just amazing

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2020/01/24/you-all-suck-a-cruiser-captain-shame-roulette-and-the-hunt-for-sun-drop-soda/

quote:

IG listed several reasons why morale reached low levels on board the warship, including Aycock’s orders to subordinates to spend “numerous man hours” hunting down “CAPT Aycock’s favorite soda, ‘Sun Drop,’ after both the Navy Exchange and Commissary in Yokosuka ceased to stock the soda.”

In fact, Aycock “was constantly pressuring” subordinates to score some Sun Drop.

“(Officers) took way too much time and effort and emotional investment in this one endeavor,” one crew member told IG. “We talked a lot about the Sun Drop issue.”

At one point, an officer involved in procuring Sun Drop had enough.

“We’ve exhausted our options on getting this one product because the CAPT said to,” the officer recalled. “Other than flying myself to California or to Tennessee in the south where you can get it and buy it and come back.”

The officer insisted no one else on board the warship even wanted it.

“I had suggestion box notes for tons of other things and Sun Drop was never one of those things,” the officer said. “It was just the CAPT.”

“While CAPT Aycock downplays his push to obtain an unnecessary beverage, it is apparent that he made this a priority for (one of his officers),” the investigator wrote. “If CAPT Aycock had accepted that the beverage was not carried in the Commissary or NEX the Supply personnel would not have continued to search for a way to procure the beverage and a complaint would never have been filed.”

While the Sun Drop imbroglio was not an egregious case of misusing a subordinate’s time, the investigator wrote that it was not an acceptable demand.

“Spending considerable time searching for an unnecessary beverage is not an official duty,” the investigator wrote.

That’s not the way Aycock remembered the quest for Sun Drop. He told IG that once his supply officer told him there was no Sun Drop to be found, “I stopped asking.”

“We have not had Sun Drop since,” he added.

The captain also said he never considered his subordinates’ inability to score Sun Drop a failure on their part.

“CAPT Aycock stated the crew requested Sun Drop in his CO’s suggestion box but when asked for the notes CAPT Aycock stated he had destroyed them all,” the investigator wrote.

annnddddd of course this shithead is on the federal tit, at the Missile Defense Agency. He'll fit right in in Huntsville

https://www.linkedin.com/in/adam-m-aycock

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

Lmao dude's afraid of ice cream

Regular ice cream is too spicy, milkshakes are watered down enough to be assaulted with and live to tell the tale

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GD_American posted:

wow, jesus. I barely remember the story but now I'm in the rabbit hole on that CO and it's just amazing

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2020/01/24/you-all-suck-a-cruiser-captain-shame-roulette-and-the-hunt-for-sun-drop-soda/

annnddddd of course this shithead is on the federal tit, at the Missile Defense Agency. He'll fit right in in Huntsvillelinkedin.com/in/adam-m-aycock[/url]

He can get all the Sun Drop he wants there, if it's not in Huntsville the border with Tennessee isn't far away.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ale8-1 or maybe moxie I can understand but sundrop?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hobbesmaster posted:

Ale8-1 or maybe moxie I can understand but sundrop?

Man, I was NOT prepared for my first (and only) Moxie experience. I drank the whole thing, and they carry it at a local froo-froo supermarket, but I'm in no rush to drink it again.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've never even heard of Sun Drop.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

The family is pretty broken up, and I personally can’t help but assume the worse, and that now that the key person of interest is dead, they may never find her body and at least have closure.

Jesus, that's awful. I hope you're wrong and more is learned right around the corner; it's awful to think that no one may ever know more than they do right now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kazinsal posted:

I sincerely think Jeff should remove C-SPAM

Therrrre we go.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That QCS thread has maybe one page of interesting posts and the rest is tedious bullshit.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The "SA spawned kiwifarms and 4chan" thing sounds awful, but as far as I recall they were created because SA basically said "wow this is too awful even for us, goodbye".

Platystemon posted:

That QCS thread has maybe one page of interesting posts and the rest is tedious bullshit.

They made it a whole page? :stare: Is that a record?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
No, I mean that the forty decent posts are scattered about the three dozen pages.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

GD_American posted:

annnddddd of course this shithead is on the federal tit, at the Missile Defense Agency. He'll fit right in in Huntsville

https://www.linkedin.com/in/adam-m-aycock

This hits way too close to home.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

This hits way too close to home.

The navy is incredibly aristocratic and it is to its own and its veterans detriment. They had race riots on ships in the 70's because of that poo poo.

Edit: Almost forgot, based on my own personal experience, naval officers make horrible parents.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 29, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zamujasa posted:

The "SA spawned kiwifarms and 4chan" thing sounds awful, but as far as I recall they were created because SA basically said "wow this is too awful even for us, goodbye".

They made it a whole page? :stare: Is that a record?

Yeah. 4chan was moof creating a safe space to post lolicon hentai. I do not know the kiwifarms origin story other than they started by mocking chris chan.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Steezo posted:

The navy is incredibly aristocratic and it is to its own and its veterans detriment. They had race riots on ships in the 70's because of that poo poo.

Edit: Almost forgot, based on my own personal experience, naval officers make horrible parents.

Yeah I've had run-ins with both the Navy and Air Force varieties having to temporarily interact with the civilian world. Nothing like having a bird colonel yell at software engineers that they just have to 'code faster' and they'll end up with less bugs, then idly wondering later why no one shows up to their morale building events.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Signs that your internet message board doesn’t have any problems with extremism:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Posting violent poo poo here is pretty stupid and we will stop people from doing that. I don't want people coming to this website because they want to shoot people and I have no intention of allowing c-spam to be "somewhere to land" for those types and so we're gonna be extra vigilant about this now - please do not shoot anybody, or cheer on anybody being shot.

I have put the paywall up for now. I have no intention of welcoming anyone who comes here to this website because of this news. If you are here on this website for the first time reading this because you like the idea of shooting people, leave immediately. If you are here on this website for the first time reading this because you follow andy ngo's tweets and want to learn more about the shooter, leave immediately.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Wow if SA did an extremism training posting stand down I'm sure this never would've happened.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I've never even heard of Sun Drop.

It's not national, and there are two kinds: Tennessee Sun Drop, and wherever else they make it, I think Dallas (Dr. Pepper distributes). There's enough difference in taste to distinguish the two because of the water sources. If you buy it outside of TN, it's typically capped a different color (TN bottles have green caps, yellow/white are Texas). Green cap is the good poo poo.

They did try to go national a decade ago, failed miserably. I've never seen it in Colorado.

It's like a slightly sweeter Mt Dew, and a lot more citrusy. I totally get why that CO was after it (I loving love the stuff), but he should have just ordered a pallet of it at port before setting off istead of making people hunt that poo poo in places it doesn't exist.

I also miss Dr. Enuf, another TN soda, but that's more of a Sprite knock-off.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 29, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

Signs that your internet message board doesn’t have any problems with extremism:
Honestly, does any space where people can post poo poo on the internet not have problems with extremism?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

stealie72 posted:

Honestly, does any space where people can post poo poo on the internet not have problems with extremism?

Wasn't al qaida using Club Penguin to plan stuff?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

A Bad Poster posted:

I can't remember which one, but definitely remember that being a thing. Everything since the millennium has been so loving trippy.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

A Bad Poster posted:

I thought that was just a Four Lions plot point

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lmfao YouTube is doing a great job of removing graphic content

https://twitter.com/Twotafkap/status/1442952265552187394?s=19

I can't believe they've done this

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

stealie72 posted:

I don't know but we should ban psychos instead of taking the Facebook moderation approach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

Fallom posted:

I don't know but we should ban psychos instead of taking the Facebook moderation approach

idk i'd say we're pretty much on the facebook trajectory already, solid echo chamber for the posters and mods trying to figure new and better ways to target kids