Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Tweezer Reprise posted:

I think it would have to do with the idea that the names that are most 'resonant' with a community are ones where meanings are broad, concrete, and accessible?

For sure. It's not that I'm mad at the human race for sticking with poo poo that works, like naming places after natural features, buildings, foundational figures or gods. It's just that using the exact same name of a place and doing it knowingly to name a new place is really dumb - I get that it could be aspirational or even devotional, but God drat why not shake it up a little at least.

Also re: placenames, there's two funny ones I remember. I grew up in a municipality that bordered another one called 'De Pinte' ('The Pint'). Apparently it was named so because when the Napoleonic law reform came to future Belgium, the only building of note in the area was a bar called The Pint. A similar one is a hamlet just across the border with France called 'Risquons-Tout' ('Let's Risk It All'), apparently named after a brothel of that name.

Another neighbouring town close to where I grew up was called Nazareth, which confused me as a kid. I was like "but wait, Jesus came from there, and the bible says it was pretty much a desert there, but today it's just a town with farm fields and grass and all of that?!"

Okay, a final one and then I'll stop: in the province of Limburg, there are three hamlets named after a villa of some guy called Haumois, but because the Limburgians' French was shaky at best, they decided to name the surrounding hamlets after a more phonetic rendition of Haumois's name, so that's how they wound up with the names Greater Homo, Lesser Homo and New Homo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have founded a new city for the Emperor. I call it "New City."

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Khosrow was the best city namer

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Another neighbouring town close to where I grew up was called Nazareth, which confused me as a kid. I was like "but wait, Jesus came from there, and the bible says it was pretty much a desert there, but today it's just a town with farm fields and grass and all of that?!"

I remember similar memories about Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

BonHair posted:

Anyway, I saw this in a store and figured y'all would hate it:

If you could unfold it into an arbitrary dymaxion projection, it would be super cool

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Check out Cartagena.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This reminds me of trolling with street names: in Copenhagen, we have "Kejsergade", literally "Emperor Street", so named to honour the German emperor. Only it's a ridiculously short and unimportant* street.

Still an unimaginative name though.

*Untill it was the headquarters of surveillance because it's close to the telegraph central.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cracker King posted:

Check out Cartagena.

Yeah, literally the same name as the New City the colonists came out of. The 'nova" part of Cartagena's old name is a Roman thing as it wouldn't really have seemed ridiculous to them.

Also check out all the historical Alexandrias and Caesareas in the near east.

Though IMO thats just what names are. They should mean something and that will probably mean looking 'uniminative' to anyone who knows the language used (though time and changing hands will do their part in shaking things up).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BonHair posted:

There are two types of placenames: boring as poo poo unimaginative names, and names that have been used for so long that we forgot what they mean.
Or sometimes all three.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Randarkman posted:

Also check out all the historical Alexandrias and Caesareas in the near east.
Horrible Histories made a short educational thing about all the Alexandrias: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvRWUCfAPs0

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

There's a street in Copenhagen called Krystalgade (Crystal st.) which used to be called Skidenstræde (lovely st.). It was changed in 1818 after a lobbying effort by the residents.

Coincidentally, the main synagogue was built there in 1833.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well, it could be worse, one could be Alexander the Great and name loving every place after yourself.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Here I was thinking places were simply named by the fellow with the biggest hat, as portrayed in this documentry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOBhf8f7cXM

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

BonHair posted:

There are two types of placenames: boring as poo poo unimaginative names, and names that have been used for so long that we forgot what they mean.

Case in point: Transylvania. Literally just "beyond the forest", but a lot of people don't know and think it sounds cool.

Common ideas for names: geographical features, people/religious names, commercial function.

Anyway, I saw this in a store and figured y'all would hate it:

A curious amalgam of the early 90s with some more modern changes:
  • The Soviet Union is collapsed, putting this after December 1991.
  • Germany is unified, putting it after October 1990.
  • However, Yemen is split, putting it before May 1990.
  • Eritrea is independent, putting it sometime after 1991.
  • Zaire isn't Zaire, putting it after 1997.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Goon Discovers Map From Alternate Reality

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What's going on in France, Norway, Turkey, and Angola... and Uzbekistan and India?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What's going on in France, Norway, Turkey, and Angola... and Uzbekistan and India?

It's meant for putting pins where you've been. It's a fun thing to display in your house I guess.

Also the two Yemens is a depressing future proofing in my head canon.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Phlegmish posted:

Goon Discovers Map From Alternate Reality

there are several geography-related mandela effect conspiracies already, maps are just the perfect combination of familiar objects where misremembering details is common to produce that sort of "am i wrong about geography? no, it is the universe that is wrong" thinking

e.g. this map from a reddit post

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Just because you mathematically can make a map with only 4 colors doesn't mean you should.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
China calls for help as Pakistan drowns

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

there are several geography-related mandela effect conspiracies already, maps are just the perfect combination of familiar objects where misremembering details is common to produce that sort of "am i wrong about geography? no, it is the universe that is wrong" thinking

*inflates your China, making it big and round*

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“gently caress you!”

*bullpups your Australia*

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Tree Goat posted:

These have the perfect mixture of delusion, stupidity, and arrogance that makes me want to punch through the screen.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

People forget that Afghanistan is near India and then try to explain that they've ended up with memories of an alternate timeline instead of forgetting. It's fine, people forget about Afghanistan all the time.

Putting Korea next to Vietnam is understandable if you just were following US history and associated them.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Tree Goat posted:

Pakistan and India, two countries that famously do not share a border.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 29, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who can forget when Moses, 1st Viscount Radcliffe, partitioned India?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is definitely something unsettling about a map that is mostly right but then is edited in a couple key places.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I hate these people so so much.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Freudian posted:

*inflates your China, making it big and round*

I am rotating China in my mind right now and there's nothing Xi can do about it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

Smooth China haunts my nightmares

e: what have you done Smooth China, putting Korea thousands of kilometers away from Japan

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Jesus Christ that subreddit. Is that a flat earth type situation where it’s a bunch of people thinking they’re the ones making fun of the rest or are they really this delusional

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't know whether it started as a joke or not, but by this point the Mandela effect "community" has been 100% taken over by loonies with full blown protagonist of reality syndrome.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol i just realized Nova Scotia is gone. There's only room for two maritime provinces round these parts, eh?

e: wait the surviving island is Anticosti not PEI isn't it? New Brunswick is getting up to some dark poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 29, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The world map I remember

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

try watching the mandela effect episode of how to with john wilson, theyre nutso

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

99.9% of mandela effect is people thinking their vague and ill informed childhood memories are infallible.

"When I was younger my dad was huge, towering over me like a mighty oak in an ancient forest, now he's about the same size as me. Obviously something strange has happened here."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The remaining 0.1% is people with legit brain problems.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Internet amplifies it.

Back in the day, if a person had a mistaken belief, they would eventually admit they were wrong or blame it on a good memory of a bad source. Sure, the Fruit of the Loom logo doesn’t have a cornucopia now, but can you prove it didn’t have one for a short time two decades ago?

With the Internet, you can prove that it never looked like that. What’s more is that there are a bunch of idiots just like you out there that either already share your false belief or can be encouraged to do so by the power of suggestion. They never had a particularly clear memory of the logo on their underwear. Why shouldn’t the fruits be in a cornucopia, an item that exists to hold fruits?

As you get to talking, you agree that it is odd that they’re called the “Berenstain Bears”. Who ever heard of a name ending in “–ain”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FreudianSlippers posted:

The world map I remember

"Snow Wizards" would be a killer name for a drug-dealer themed rap group

Though there is no loving way I wouldn't want to live in the Orangutan Surfing Civilization