Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Lib and let die posted:

i can vibe with the people that like 9, it just wasn't my art style

love for 12 is a dealbreaker though

I like 12 but I can't get over how they pronounce "marquis"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
for whom the bell toes

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

spacemang_spliff posted:

i'll have to play x-2

i'm playing x right now but only because back in 2002 I got to the very end and the memory card I had my save on disappeared and I've spent 18 years wandering the seas searching for the white whale.

i like the battle system in ffx and ff13 (although I didn't get very far in it)

13, and later 13-2 were definitely evolutions on the x-2 battle system. 13-2 came close, but imo x-2 is still top

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
basicaly I love all the final fantasies are they're pretty much the only games I play (I just don't play many games anymore)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lib and let die posted:

13, and later 13-2 were definitely evolutions on the x-2 battle system. 13-2 came close, but imo x-2 is still top

I don't think 13 was a very good game, but the combat system in that game was pretty solid. It's a shame that after 12 they felt the need to redo in every game.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
chait being agreeable is such a bellwether in the state of affairs

that really should give you a lot of loving pause despite all the glad handling the democrats had been doing until this moment under duress of their own doing

succ? more like abyssal

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't think 13 was a very good game, but the combat system in that game was pretty solid. It's a shame that after 12 they felt the need to redo in every game.

13 was a long, boring hallway simulator, but 13-2 gave us the best rendition of Clash on the Big Bridge so far, so, many sides.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thank you for introducing me to these dudes

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol useless fuckin party

MINT THE COIN

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1443229803415547921

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

etalian posted:

The original source photo had a origin story.

Wasn't from a TFR goon showing off how cool he looked going to work at computer toucher job with a open carry weapon?

No, he was the janitor

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Vim Fuego posted:

No, he was the janitor

Metal Goon Solid: Trash Exfiltration Action

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

How would defaulting on the debt impact my day to day life?

Cause right now I'm just laughing at the whole idea

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

I'm a sucker for a band that's just bass keyboards and drums

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

camoseven posted:

Cause right now I'm just laughing at the whole idea

Government starts screening its calls to dodge international debt collectors.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

it would be incredibly funny if the democrats triggered a recession because they refuse to end the ability for republicans to obstruct anything they propose lol

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

believe it or not
Joe isn't at home
please leave a messaaaage at the beep

I must be out,
or I'd pick up the phone
where could I be?

believe it or not
Joe's not home

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

I like 12 but I can't get over how they pronounce "marquis"

This was so weird

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

spacemang_spliff posted:

it would be incredibly funny if the democrats triggered a recession

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Now listen here, Jack, I got better things to do than answer the, you know, the ringy thingy, so leave a message after the uhhhh....*the sounds of a person aimlessly shuffling around the room are heard until the audio clicks off as the recording times out*

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

camoseven posted:

for one, banks would begin repossessing all roads

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

for one, banks would begin repossessing all roads

infrastructure week is BACK

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

On a different topic is this the longest AOC has gone without tweeting?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Dems gave Trump the debt ceiling extension without getting anything in return and people said at the time that it was setting up this crisis in the first year of a potential D president. They wanted this.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Eggplant Squire posted:

On a different topic is this the longest AOC has gone without tweeting?

wow probably. what is she even doing it she isn't tweeting
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1411310841266425860?s=20

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Stevie Lee posted:

wow probably. what is she even doing it she isn't tweeting
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1411310841266425860?s=20

probably playing some LoL on her consultant's $4,000 graphic design pc again

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

I wonder what they think they've learned

We learned not to do it again.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

reality hosed up seeing this

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

papa horny michael posted:

reality hosed up seeing this

turn on your screen

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Is it Havana syndrome yes or no.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Excelzior posted:

probably playing some LoL on her consultant's $4,000 graphic design pc again

that was ilhan

and like $3500 of the cost was SSDs, it had like a rtx2060 or something

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

social update on friend of the thread Lena Dunham:

https://twitter.com/YahooEnt/status/1442485501974532097

significant downgrade from American rock musician of equivalent fame to herself a few years back, to Peruvian-British rock musician I've never heard of where if you google him a bunch of articles about him marrying Lena Dunham are all you see

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

anal mud hen

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

that was ilhan

and like $3500 of the cost was SSDs, it had like a rtx2060 or something

I stand corrected

I retract my snarky comment until such a time as ilhan proves to be succ like most of the squad

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

all final fantasy games are good even the bad ones like 9

9 is the best one, you philistine.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

loquacius posted:

social update on friend of the thread Lena Dunham:

https://twitter.com/YahooEnt/status/1442485501974532097

significant downgrade from American rock musician of equivalent fame to herself a few years back, to Peruvian-British rock musician I've never heard of where if you google him a bunch of articles about him marrying Lena Dunham are all you see

Hopefully the guy doesn't have any pets....

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

etalian posted:

Hopefully the guy doesn't have any pets....

what is she going to eat them or something

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

spacemang_spliff posted:

VVV lol owned

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

spacemang_spliff posted:

depends what you mean by eat

e: gently caress, eaten

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lmao

rich people are hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Recently, I found a drawing from tenth grade, an anime-inspired rendering of someone meant to be the adult me wearing a shredded lace gown and combat boots.

quote:

The Bride in Her Head
By Lena Dunham

July 10, 2015
Like most little girls, I had a fluffy white approximation of a bridal gown that I wore around our house until it lay in tatters. I often begged my tomboy cousin to play groom, a job she bore with sufficient humor. A wedding was, I imagined, an incredible day, better than your birthday, Halloween, and Hanukkah combined, with all eyes on you—a chance to be the star of your own show.

This wedding fever had not been contracted from my mother. Like many feminist women of the eighties, she had married with some hesitation. She wore a sharp suit and spectator pumps to a morning ceremony in the basement of a synagogue. Her opinion of weddings seemed to be much like mine is now on sex in public places: enjoy yourself but get it done fast, and let’s please not get caught. Her wedding photos seemed to me an utter waste of time and resources. She wasn’t even wearing her signature red lipstick. Sometimes, I would take her wedding shoes out of her cedar closet and try them on, hoping to absorb some of their special power.

Eventually, I outgrew my bridal fantasies and moved on to other areas of imaginary play (being the President’s daughter, joining a sorority). But, when I was eleven, my babysitter Noni got engaged, and wedding mania swept our home once more. We spent every day after school flipping through bridal magazines and discussing the details: Sleeves or strapless? Hair up or down? Surf and turf or chicken? My mother would come home to find us deep in wedding plans, drawing up seating charts and designing place cards. This had to be a confusing sight for a woman who had once given me a T-shirt emblazoned with a picture of handcuffed suffragettes. My work as junior wedding planner could only have been a disappointing mystery to her.

When Noni walked down the aisle, in a dress encrusted with every shiny doodad in the known universe, her enormous family filled the church with the echoes of their sobs. I cried, too, but for a different reason than I had expected: I was embarrassed. Something about the spectacle of the ceremony—Noni being handed off from father to husband like a doll at a yard sale—struck me as patronizing, outdated, and terrifying.

As a teen-ager, I continued to imagine my wedding, but now it was an alternate version, informed by my newfound status as a self-proclaimed “weird girl.” Recently, I found a drawing from tenth grade, an anime-inspired rendering of someone meant to be the adult me wearing a shredded lace gown and combat boots. Beside the image, I had listed details of the wedding: Tofurky would be served. The White Stripes would play, followed by Sade. My mother would walk me down the aisle. But, despite my self-regarding rejection of tradition, despite the riot grrrl costume, there she was, drawn in my own hand: thin, blond, breasts perky as hell, and veil perched daintily. A bride all the same.

In college, we talked endlessly about the politics of marriage, its mercantile origins, its role as an organizing principle of the patriarchy. A full seminar was devoted to the issue, in fact, with letter grades and all, in which we debated why we should or shouldn’t engage in such an archaic act when our L.G.B.T.Q. friends and family couldn’t. If we got married, weren’t we supporting and promoting a bigoted and outdated institution? Finally, I could sense a certain moral logic behind the queasiness of watching Noni at her wedding, getting shoved toward her husband like a kid being forced into the first day of kindergarten. (It should be noted that I may be the only child who sobbed at the end of “The Little Mermaid” because Ariel had to leave her father.) But my friend Audrey put it best when she raised her hand and told our professor, “I object to the marriage-industrial complex. But I want that dress. So now what?”

“I’m never getting married,” I told my friend Isabel while we floated in the Dead Sea. We were twenty-two and smeared with mud. “It’s a tool to oppress women and eliminate their freedom,” I added. “Plus, who wants to make out in front of their parents?”

She was newly in love, high on connection. “You’ll take that back the minute you meet someone you like,” she said.

Three years ago, when I was twenty-five, I met a bespectacled musician named Jack. He had a passion for John Hughes movies and driving on the Jersey Turnpike. His belief in, and insistence on, true equality for L.G.B.T.Q. citizens was no small reason why I fell in love with him, and, early in our relationship, I watched him struggle with the decision of whether or not to perform at a straight couple’s wedding. He discussed the matter at length with queer friends, concerned that it might be a form of betrayal (ultimately, he was given their blessing, though he seemed fairly tortured about it anyhow). The struggle was real and raw for Jack, and so it somehow became understood, between us, that we wouldn’t even consider marrying until every American had the same right. And I said it proudly whenever I had the chance, with the grandiosity and intimations of sacrifice you hear from certain lesser vegans.

According to a June 30th article in Time, we were not the only ones who felt this way, as straight couples across America eschewed the idea of a celebration that their L.G.B.T.Q. friends and family could not participate in with a shared sense of freedom. While my own queer sibling considers marriage barely radical enough to scratch the surface of their consciousness, many of the couples profiled in Time felt that, without national marriage equality, their weddings would be a flat-out attack on the queer people they love. Jordan Davis, one of the men profiled in the piece, said, “I was boycotting marriage because I have family members who would say we don’t need marriage equality. They thought [the gay-marriage debate] was someone else’s problem, so I was trying to make it their problem, too.” (Full disclosure: Jack and I are also mentioned in the piece, among a slew of public figures who announced that they, too, were waiting—though some, such as Brangelina, jumped ship in favor of good old-fashioned romance, in Château Miraval, France.)

I proudly wore our anti-marriage badge, though I did cut a rug at assorted straight weddings. But sometimes, in a moment of deep gratitude, I would mutter these words to Jack, unbidden: “Marry me.” They became a kind of code, a way of giving a million other kinds of loving thanks. I wasn’t serious, I told myself. It was like when I tell my dog to “get a job.” But I also liked that our anti-marriage plan wasn’t absolute, and that it teased at a brighter future for all (a future where I might get to wear the fluffy white dress).

That future, of course, arrived not long ago, when the Supreme Court ruled that marriage is a right for all, regardless of gender identification or sexual preference. Like so many people around the country, I awoke to dozens of joyful messages from friends and family, rainbows and hearts and a sense that at least one great victory for human rights had been achieved in our lifetimes. What a joy, to have a morning like that, knowing how many people felt affirmed and liberated, knowing that Pride weekend in New York would be an explosion of hope and glitter.

Soon after, another kind of text started to trickle in: “Now you can get married!” “Hello, bride to be