Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It's hot in the engine bay of an ICE, so having the battery in the trunk is the superior location.

My Camry has the 12v battery in the trunk, and the hybrid battery pack in the space between the trunk and the back seats. Best of luck to my kids!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

ilmucche posted:

market this to the old dudes who go curling and wear helmets so they can be safe :3:
IIRC it's actually an assistive device for the elderly with poor balance so if they take a fall they're way less likely to break bones, which can be fatal at a certain level of frailty (or rather, the rehabilitation and healing process takes so long it can seriously impact someone's will to live).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

PetraCore posted:

IIRC it's actually an assistive device for the elderly with poor balance so if they take a fall they're way less likely to break bones, which can be fatal at a certain level of frailty (or rather, the rehabilitation and healing process takes so long it can seriously impact someone's will to live).

that's 100% why i say get it to the old folks on the ice! some of them wear hockey pants since they can't get down in the hack anyway and use the shuffle board stick. they're so cute

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I seriously had no idea that so many cars had the battery in such weird places. How do you jump start them? Is there still some kind of connector under the hood, or are you sitting there revving the engine with the back seat pulled out to hook up cables?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Holy gently caress everything in this video. Just. Everything

https://youtu.be/PZHpeBubb_M

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I seriously had no idea that so many cars had the battery in such weird places. How do you jump start them? Is there still some kind of connector under the hood, or are you sitting there revving the engine with the back seat pulled out to hook up cables?

Sometimes there are jump terminals under the hood for convenience. Sometimes there aren’t.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Platystemon posted:

Sometimes there are jump terminals under the hood for convenience. Sometimes there aren’t.

I think it usually depends on how inaccessible the designer considered the battery to be. Wheel well? Probably have remote terminals. Trunk under a flap? Stop whining and go in the trunk. Under a seat? Coinflip.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sometimes they remove the terminals in a design revision because “gently caress you”.

James May made a video in March about being locked out of his Tesla Model S because the battery was dead and without power, it was a major ordeal to open the bonnet and get to the terminals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsKwMryKqRE

I was like “wait can’t you do this?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPUcUOd1r1w&t=138s

It turns out that James May could not do that because Tesla cut that feature from later‐production cars.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Now I'm paranoid that I'll urgently need to access my battery and I won't be able to find it because it's in the glove compartment or something.

The perfect vehicle aside from the part where it gets ~10MPG.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

nomad2020 posted:

The perfect vehicle aside from the part where it gets ~10MPG.

Put a 2.73 diff in it. Congrats, now it gets 13mpg.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It gets weirder! I have a '20 Sonata hybrid. There is no separate 12v lead acid battery I can remove, there's a segmented chunk of the main li-ion traction battery that's 12v instead the car uses. If it goes flat, I have a button.

Jump starts itself from the main traction battery. And if even THAT fails, there are terminals under the hood. Not likely go to go flat either though, as it has 200w of solar panels on the roof that keep it and the main battery topped off. :science:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Holy gently caress everything in this video. Just. Everything

https://youtu.be/PZHpeBubb_M

The images of dust accumulation throughout should have been enough to shut that facility down at any time. gently caress, what a nightmare site.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Cat Hatter posted:

I think it usually depends on how inaccessible the designer considered the battery to be. Wheel well? Probably have remote terminals. Trunk under a flap? Stop whining and go in the trunk. Under a seat? Coinflip.

I think it was the Chevy Astro van where you had to change the battery by going through a hole in the front passenger's side? Maybe it was to change the oil, I forget.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Safety first :mad:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They can bring as many other people in with them as they like though.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

glynnenstein posted:

The images of dust accumulation throughout should have been enough to shut that facility down at any time. gently caress, what a nightmare site.

I work a lot with combustible dust and that factory is nightmarishly typical of a lot of sites. After dozens of sites like that one starts to think its one of those problems that still (especially in more rural undeveloped areas) persists only because the blood cost isn't high enough yet. Its not even unique to combustible dusts either; A site I visited a couple months ago had clouds of asbestos raining/drifting through the 6 story interior of the plant and nobody was wearing respirators or coverings beyond T-shirts/jeans.

It all just smacks of the consequences of poor OSHA compliance being far too decoupled from the entities controlling/financing these endeavors.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

I don't see a limit on lot lizards.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lot lizards don't use the shower, they wait for a passing rainstorm.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I only have a passing knowledge of trucking from this thread and my oldest brother's tales. I'll defer to the experts :wink:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lot lizards don't use the shower, they wait for a passing rainstorm.

Good ones can make it rain all on their own.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

DandyLion posted:

Good ones can make it rain all on their own.

Get them government contracts and send them out west.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nocheez posted:

It's hot in the engine bay of an ICE, so having the battery in the trunk is the superior location.
BMW claims they put the battery in the trunk for balance reasons, to maintain that magical 50/50 split.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

wolrah posted:

BMW claims they put the battery in the trunk for balance reasons, to maintain that magical 50/50 split.

to counterbalance the 150kg tosser in the front I guess.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had a lady ask me to help jumpstart her BMW and she knew just enough to know that her battery was in the trunk under a panel but it was so close to the edge of the compartment that the jumper cables couldn't clip around the tiny tiny posts. I had to hold the drat things pressed against the terminal the whole time

Are you telling me there were convenient terminals under the hood and she just didn't know

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Bloop posted:

I had a lady ask me to help jumpstart her BMW and she knew just enough to know that her battery was in the trunk under a panel but it was so close to the edge of the compartment that the jumper cables couldn't clip around the tiny tiny posts. I had to hold the drat things pressed against the terminal the whole time

Are you telling me there were convenient terminals under the hood and she just didn't know

It's likely? I jumped a neighbor's Caddy that had these huge rear end batteries under the rear seat with terminals under the hood. Easy to find too with big red and black caps on them.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

wolrah posted:

That's just one more reason to do it. My Miata had it back there, as well.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Likely.

I almost did the same on my Volvo before seeing the engine bay jump posts.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
My Prius C has its 12v battery under the back seat right next to the traction battery. It's not too bad to get to, but removing the back seat makes it a bit easier.

There are jump start terminals inside a fusebox under the hood which consist of a piece of metal folded over plastic. I had to use it a few times when my 12v battery was at the end of its life. All the 12v battery has to do is open the contactors to the traction battery - but when it was dead - it couldn't even do that. The instrument cluster flickered violently.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

PPE = Soap on a Rope

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/DanielAdAstra/status/1442883024006234112?s=20

Who needs to worry about heavy metal poisoning AND radiation. At least he has his helmet.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Harry_Potato posted:

PPE = Soap on a Rope

And flip flops or crocs. You don't want to be barefooting a truck stop shower.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Who needs to worry about heavy metal poisoning AND radiation. At least he has his helmet.

:stonk:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
that looks bad but on Glassdoor they all gave glowing reviews

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Mozi posted:

:dadjoke:

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Yeah, sounds pretty rad actually

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mozi posted:

:golfclap:

Don’t need coffee on the job site, everyone is already high-energy :dadjoke:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

Unfortunately, they're always in the bathroom to uranate.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

CommieGIR posted:

not that he should, but since he's already not giving a gently caress, why not try snorting some?

it COULD get you high, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Icon Of Sin posted:

Might as well skip the sugar, don't want any more decay.