Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You’d think people would’ve learned by now that burning PTO for an MMO launch is always a bad idea but somehow every time people convince themselves it’ll be different this time. This is the launch that’ll be buttery smooth, for real, this is the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Yeah it all seems pretty standard for an MMO launch. Honestly probably better than the Diablo 2 release just last week because at least people could play New World once they got through the queue.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

knox posted:

That isn't something Amazon earned based on their game though; it's due to the absolutely dogshit state of the MMO industry, where 9.9/10 MMO's in 'development' are literal scams meant to steal money from players desperate for a new game to play.

That seems a little unfair to the however many dozens of developers that worked really hard on the game and Amazon for not dropping it after the initial lackluster reception. What you said is true because MMOs are incredibly difficult and financially risky to make. Obviously Amazon doesn’t really need to worry about the money, but they should still get some amount of credit for sticking it out and making a game that people seem to like well enough when they get through the queue rather than going to Google route and immediately shutting down their dev studios after all the early failures.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

You’d think people would’ve learned by now that burning PTO for an MMO launch is always a bad idea but somehow every time people convince themselves it’ll be different this time. This is the launch that’ll be buttery smooth, for real, this is the one.

I did it for GW2 launch and was able to play without any issues. But anet also has the best MMO server tech compared to everyone else.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I played it for a few hours last night and a little bit this morning. In the overfill Goons In Platoons guild. Having a good time.

I feel for yall who are dealing with awful queues and other issues. In my mind, that's just how MMO launch day goes. I didn't expect different just because it's an Amazon Game.

I recently started using the 2H axe and hammer. Liking them both! Hope to group with goons after my next few work shifts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Keegers posted:

I did it for GW2 launch and was able to play without any issues. But anet also has the best MMO server tech compared to everyone else.

Yeah I was going to say that GW2 has some wild server tech because they never seem to have these issues. They don’t even have to do downtime to deploy major patches. They’re the one exception I can actually think of.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I got play a bunch last night and this morning, I've been having fun! I'm doing musket/rapier but will probably be switching it up soon. Are there any weapon skills that are NOT viable? That's really my only concern

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Keegers posted:

Harrow posted:

Yeah I was going to say that GW2 has some wild server tech because they never seem to have these issues. They don’t even have to do downtime to deploy major patches. They’re the one exception I can actually think of.
GW2 has small-ish zones and does very aggressive dynamic sharding. Anet has very solid server stability because they made a design decision that makes the per-zone load much more predictable, at the cost of not having a seamless, persistent world. This also makes it easier for them to patch servers piecemeal. This is not to say that it's not good engineering: just that it's an intentional choice that came with some other costs.

New World, for better or worse, decided to go the opposite route with persistent servers and no zone seams. With that decision made the only load balancing options they have are either population controls or temporary servers that they'd merge in a week or two. They went with population controls. Far as I understand it from the peanut gallery New World is pretty stable and playable when you're online, it's just there's a queue to make sure it stays that way. Having a separate queue for new characters seems like a good way to keep the starter zones from being overwhelmed too.

It's debatable if prioritizing fixed servers with no zone sharding and a seamless world to this degree is a good idea -- I wouldn't -- but Amazon did and here we are. It's more a design decision than anything to do with the quality of the engineering, though.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 29, 2021

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
There's a quest boss you have to kill in a dark cave as part of a quest that has apparently an ~8 minute respawn timer, but more people hit that quest stage in 8 minutes than are able to get a kill when he spawns. So 1-2 people who have to wait, become 3-4, and when I rolled up it was about 15 people crammed in the corner to 1-shot the boss, many of whom will be disappointed.

Marked a good time to take a break for a while.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Xerophyte posted:

It's debatable if prioritizing fixed servers with no zone sharding and a seamlessness world to this degree is a good idea -- I wouldn't -- but Amazon did and here we are. It's more a design decision than anything to do with the quality of the engineering, though.

Yeah, I meant to post something to this effect yesterday. New World's small server cap is 100% necessary to make its other design decisions work. They're very much working from a paradigm of wanting a server "community" with known faces and names, and having players be in the same "zone" but not seeing each other because they're in different "shards" runs contrary to that. Similarly, I suspect the game's economy is balanced around gathering nodes not being instanced, which also wouldn't work with sharding.

Seamlessness can still work with shards--WoW does it, for example--but with a lot of the other things New World is trying to do, not to mention the type of game it's trying to be, it makes sense they'd want to just have one version of each zone per server. For better and for worse.

I know there's an argument that the problems these design decisions cause aren't worth it, or that the design decisions themselves are the problems that have been "solved" by other MMOs, but I do have to recognize that even if this is probably not going to be the MMO for me long-term, it has some features that some players really, really want. I dunno if I'd say New World's design is "wrong," unlike, say, Wildstar, it's just different than other modern MMOs and remains to be seen whether it'll hit the spot for enough people to survive for the long haul.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 29, 2021

Angry-Alphs
Feb 24, 2019

Devor posted:

There's a quest boss you have to kill in a dark cave as part of a quest that has apparently an ~8 minute respawn timer, but more people hit that quest stage in 8 minutes than are able to get a kill when he spawns. So 1-2 people who have to wait, become 3-4, and when I rolled up it was about 15 people crammed in the corner to 1-shot the boss, many of whom will be disappointed.

Marked a good time to take a break for a while.

Is it Scratchy the bear? Because it's actually worse. Not only do you have to kill him. You have to skin him. So you have to both do enough damage to register for the kill but beat every other person to skin him the fastest.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Angry-Alphs posted:

Is it Scratchy the bear? Because it's actually worse. Not only do you have to kill him. You have to skin him. So you have to both do enough damage to register for the kill but beat every other person to skin him the fastest.

The scratchy quest is really a text book example of all the consultants they had to hire to build this MMO haven't worked on an MMO since the 90's.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Angry-Alphs posted:

fuckin lmao so maybe I do not buy this game today

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Harrow posted:

these design decisions

is there a comprehensive list/discussion of these design decisions NW made that are significantly different than other big MMOs?

I want to learn more but don't know where to start.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

at least you can still spam dive to prone

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fate Accomplice posted:

is there a comprehensive list/discussion of these design decisions NW made that are significantly different than other big MMOs?

I want to learn more but don't know where to start.

Some that I can think of right off the top of my head:
  • Gathering nodes aren't instanced, meaning if someone gets to one before you, it goes away and you don't get to gather. This is how they almost always used to work in older MMOs but most newer MMOs have instanced gathering nodes (GW2 and FFXIV are examples). This also includes animals you kill, meaning if you kill a boar at range, someone can run up to it and skin it before you get to it. (Why yes, this did get annoying when I was doing a quest yesterday.) This is likely an intentional decision to dial in scarcity for gathered items.
  • There's no shared item storage for your character that you can access from anywhere. If you put your items in storage at First Light, you can only access those items at First Light.
  • There's a real attempt at encouraging open world PvP, something that even WoW barely even tries anymore (which is one of the reasons people were so interested in New World from the start). You can always just not flag for PvP, of course, but a lot of other decisions (lack of mounts, for example) also seem designed to encourage you to run into people of other factions and have skirmishes out in the world.
  • There are no NPC vendors. If you want to buy an item, you have to buy it from another player. If you want to sell an item, you have to sell it to another player.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I think I might go for a refund. I really want to play this game with my friends but literally cannot due to these queues and horrifically lovely design around infra and lack of instancing, etc. I have limited playtime due to, well, having a fulltime normie job and needing to do insane things like buy groceries and sleep. I was able to get to level 5 yesterday by playing during my lunch at work which I can't do every day, and that's literally it. Probably insane queues every night this week. It's mindblowing how they hosed this up so badly.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Harrow posted:

Some that I can think of right off the top of my head:
  • Gathering nodes aren't instanced, meaning if someone gets to one before you, it goes away and you don't get to gather. This is how they almost always used to work in older MMOs but most newer MMOs have instanced gathering nodes (GW2 and FFXIV are examples). This also includes animals you kill, meaning if you kill a boar at range, someone can run up to it and skin it before you get to it. (Why yes, this did get annoying when I was doing a quest yesterday.) This is likely an intentional decision to dial in scarcity for gathered items.
  • There's no shared item storage for your character that you can access from anywhere. If you put your items in storage at First Light, you can only access those items at First Light.
  • There's a real attempt at encouraging open world PvP, something that even WoW barely even tries anymore (which is one of the reasons people were so interested in New World from the start). You can always just not flag for PvP, of course, but a lot of other decisions (lack of mounts, for example) also seem designed to encourage you to run into people of other factions and have skirmishes out in the world.
  • There are no NPC vendors. If you want to buy an item, you have to buy it from another player. If you want to sell an item, you have to sell it to another player.

Did they keep the system where you need a special currency to enter dungeons?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tainen posted:

Did they keep the system where you need a special currency to enter dungeons?

Sure did.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Harrow posted:

I dunno if I'd say New World's design is "wrong," unlike, say, Wildstar, it's just different than other modern MMOs and remains to be seen whether it'll hit the spot for enough people to survive for the long haul.

I haven't really been following New World and to be honest it's been quite some time since I've seriously played an MMO, but I would take it a step further and say the design of New World is wrong. And this is coming from someone who hates what modern MMOs have become, hates the concept of games like WoW. I'm more of a UO/EVE kind of guy. And New World seems to take the more old-school approach.

If New World's design was to have servers that are communities as opposed to sharding, then they put themselves in a bad position. The original MMOs had specific servers and communities with no concept of instances, but that was moved away from because it just didn't scale. Without that abstraction layer, you couldn't have an MMO with modern expectations for player population. Everyone wants to play with their friends and no one wants to be spread out over 1000s of tiny little servers. That's not an MMO, that's a game of Battlefield.

Then you take the example on this page with the "need to skin unique boss bear for quest, 1 player at a time" That's a byproduct of them taking their "player-driven economy" approach ("can't let more than 1 person skin a thing, that'll break the economy") and trying to shove it into the WoW quest-generator.

Frankly it reeks of cargo-cult, paint-by-numbers poo poo. Which mostly seems to apply to the rest of the game, and has been a critique of Amazon games in general. I was keeping an eye on this one, because I'd love for an MMO to play a few hours a week with the wife, but it sounds awful.

There's absolutely no excuse for an Amazon thing to not be able to handle user load in 2021, design decisions or not.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 29, 2021

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think I might go for a refund. I really want to play this game with my friends but literally cannot due to these queues and horrifically lovely design around infra and lack of instancing, etc. I have limited playtime due to, well, having a fulltime normie job and needing to do insane things like buy groceries and sleep. I was able to get to level 5 yesterday by playing during my lunch at work which I can't do every day, and that's literally it. Probably insane queues every night this week. It's mindblowing how they hosed this up so badly.

Yeah, this is where I ended up, too. I recognize that there is an audience for this kind of game.....but it's definitely not a mass audience (which is what every other MMO figured out), and I don't really think Amazon - who shelved literally like 4 other games that were unlikely to attract mass audiences - is somehow super enthused about New World turning into some niche game for hardcore MMO grognards who want a real life "server community". I get the desire to have that - but the trick that they have to figure out is how to do that, while operating at the kind of scale that folks actually want. The only people who end up liking the kind of super-small server community that NW seems to be going for right now are the poopsockers who manage to dominate the server/economy, while everyone below them has a qualitatively worse experience.

I guess we'll see!

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 29, 2021

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Game rocks / sucks.
No idea really as the character creator is furthest I have got.
I get to see a cut scene on a ship then I get a black screen, the brief view of this

Looking all serious on a ship made me laugh so much that I will persevere though

Menus made my GPU fan go crazy so I capped the framerate, it does not give me the option to cap my framerate at the refresh of my monitor, which is an added kick in the nuts.
I briefly saw a queue position 2000 or so then it crashed

So far 7 / 10
A pretty normal MMO launch

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Then you take the example on this page with the "need to skin unique boss bear for quest, 1 player at a time" That's a byproduct of them taking their "player-driven economy" approach ("can't let more than 1 person skin a thing, that'll break the economy") and trying to shove it into the WoW quest-generator.

Yeah, this makes sense. I think a lot of what's going on with quests in New World and the way they can clash with the rest of the game (for example, the gigantic field of campsites outside every starter town because everyone has to make one for a story quest) is because a lot of New World's PvE and questing experience was sorta retrofitted on. New World was always intended to be primarily a PvP game with factions and companies vying for control of territory, but early feedback led to them adding a lot more of a PvE experience onto that and the two sides don't quite seem to fit together.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

All of these decisions make sense if the game was still PvP only full loot open world.. like the entire game plays like it should be a sandbox PvP game, but they are now trying to make it a theme park MMORPG with non of the theme park features.

What exactly makes people say this is trying to be a “theme park mmo”? That they added 6 dungeons? Even though the shift in the last year has been more toward pve, I’m not sure I’d use the theme park descriptor for it. Like it in no way feels like Everquest or WoW to me.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
People keep trying to figure out what kind of game this exactly is / will be, while even amazon doesn't even know yet.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the PvE questing in this game is definitely kinda dogshit. I've enjoyed pretty much everything except actually trying to, you know, partake in the game's storyline.

"Explorers Needed" is a Level 7 quest. it takes you to Coffman's Redoubt, where every enemy is ~Level 25. like what the gently caress lol? at least I am level 15 and didn't immediately die, but this quest is just a gigantic "gently caress you" to lower level players who will spend all that time running out there just to get one-shotted

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Saki posted:

Is there an EU goon guild?

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

A few friends of my wife and I (we're currently 16 members on Discord) have made a company on Zerzura EU Central. We're stuck in the queue right now, and I'm not sure about our motivations for the game, but if you're looking for a company on the EU servers, Wu Tang Company will take you on. We're playing as Covenant.

Discord link (active for 7 days): https://discord.gg/AJdUYwe9

honk honk

this is the closest to one. other EU goons are apparently rolling with bad games crew on NA east servers

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

barnold posted:

the PvE questing in this game is definitely kinda dogshit. I've enjoyed pretty much everything except actually trying to, you know, partake in the game's storyline.

"Explorers Needed" is a Level 7 quest. it takes you to Coffman's Redoubt, where every enemy is ~Level 25. like what the gently caress lol? at least I am level 15 and didn't immediately die, but this quest is just a gigantic "gently caress you" to lower level players who will spend all that time running out there just to get one-shotted
i feel like they broke something since the open beta because i never ran into that, but immediately did yesterday

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

bagmonkey posted:

I got play a bunch last night and this morning, I've been having fun! I'm doing musket/rapier but will probably be switching it up soon. Are there any weapon skills that are NOT viable? That's really my only concern

I don't think there is anything that is specifically non-viable but it seems Warhammer gets completely outshined in every possible department by Great Axe. Warhammer's animations are dogshit- but it's abilities are powerful. It's just Axe does everything it can do better it seems.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

. Warhammer's animations are dogshit

Whaaaat. Those were the first animations that made me go “oh heck yeah” smashing fools.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

DaitoX posted:

People keep trying to figure out what kind of game this exactly is / will be, while even amazon doesn't even know yet.

It's a game where you wear funny hat's and have to pay a tax to craft stuff.

seems ok to me..

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ort posted:

Whaaaat. Those were the first animations that made me go “oh heck yeah” smashing fools.

It's not the aesthetic that's a problem. That's fine.

It's the animation frames that are a problem. It's agonizingly slow, it has a very small hitbox, and the recovery time on completing an action on the frames is atrocious.

Great Axe literally has a level 1 perk that pulls enemies in front of you when you heavy. This is a bigger DPS boost than it sounds because it assures you'll get a hit where you're simply not going to have that with warhammer. You do 0 damage when you miss, so even if you hit for less, you'll ultimately do more damage because you're consistently hitting.

It has great side to side slices and perfect damage / animation time and then multiple control powers on top of damage powers. The damage of warhammer isn't so much more (and it might be less) that it justifies using over an axe in my opinion.

Edit: Though I could be 100000% wrong. My subjective experience. https://updatedgamer.com/2021/09/new-world-meta-war-hammer-crowd-control-build/

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 29, 2021

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

This game is fun

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So did they raise the server population caps today like they said was going to happen and did it help out at all with the queues on the servers that didn't have 10k+ ?

Working from the office today so can't look but I am curious.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I have yet to see a queue in this game, playing with SFD on West. I tend to play in the mornings and afternoons though. I'm about 10 hours in.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Are there shinies? drat I miss OG Rift and just collecting those lil bastards for some decent gear

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Locator posted:

So did they raise the server population caps today like they said was going to happen and did it help out at all with the queues on the servers that didn't have 10k+ ?

Working from the office today so can't look but I am curious.

No, still 2000 cap.

https://newworldstatus.com/

iirc they didn't say today, they said "in the future" and they're "working on it".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How long does it take to work on . Just change a 2 to a 4 in some code .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

arbybaconator posted:

This game is fun

yeah

also i feel like releasing it on a tuesday was a good move to try to give them a few days to make new servers and whatever before the weekend

also i feel like the queue is moving faster than it was yesterday. i went from like 430->250 in like half an hour