Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
getting a lantern with satan inside it from the highschool principal was cool.

e: somehow not the worst goon snipe this week :imunfunny:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

And the entire reason only he remembered is because his school didn't use GFs who sap your memory in return for magic powers, and he's just really good with guns instead

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

getting a lantern with satan inside it from the highschool principal was cool.

Excuse me, that's your Father of The Year, Robin Williams.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

And the entire reason only he remembered is because his school didn't use GFs who sap your memory in return for magic powers, and he's just really good with guns instead

well he's not a goon

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

well he's not a goon

Squall on the other hand is Definitely A Goon

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i do always like when non political junkies talk about violence cuz like that one goon idea in qcs of calling the cops on goons for posting dumb poo poo would do more to get goons killed than any other suggestion ive seen put forth

This is the defense of the status quo in everything. Your violence is violence, my violence is not.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like I've missed out on the whole FF experience, never having got around to playing any of them. :-/

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

gently caress, I forgot about that. Must have been because I've been leaving my GF contact lenses on when I sleep. Because I was trained at a special mercenary school what real purpose is to assassinate witches. Unfortunately the homeschool set up by your time traveling witch mom homeschool's first attempt on her life went lmao bad, comically bad. Sick train set used in the planning stages tho.

Whagleblargle I'm experiencing TIME KOMPRESSION

woops turns out my school was secretely funded BY AN ALIEN WHO YELLS ALL THE loving TIME

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ALSO there isn't radio in ff8 because they trapped a sorceress on the moon and her screams override any radio signals on the planet. Also the moon is made up of 99% monsters and they fall to earth sometimes

Ff8 loving rules god I love how insane that game is. We didn't even talk about the villain being trapped in a causality loop!!

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I feel like I've missed out on the whole FF experience, never having got around to playing any of them. :-/

i remember friends in middle school having like hundreds of hours logged in ff7 and now i'm an adult and i'm just like, jesus christ being an adult sucks why don't i have time for anything fuuuuuck

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

ALSO there isn't radio in ff8 because they trapped a sorceress on the moon and her screams override any radio signals on the planet. Also the moon is made up of 99% monsters and they fall to earth sometimes

Ff8 loving rules god I love how insane that game is. We didn't even talk about the villain being trapped in a causality loop!!

shut up I'm too busy playing cards with teenagers on a spaceship while the world is getting overrun with monsters

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lib and let die posted:

it was the most fun ff to be able to break from very early on in the game

I like that the key to breaking the game early is playing a card game

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
watching in terror as the plus rule spreads across the world like covid.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IAMKOREA posted:

i remember friends in middle school having like hundreds of hours logged in ff7 and now i'm an adult and i'm just like, jesus christ being an adult sucks why don't i have time for anything fuuuuuck

Fun fact - I was friends in HS with the guy who tried to take a houseboat down the Mississippi River with Grimes, and he had a ridiculously maxed out FF7 account with (at least) hundreds of hours on it.

I was never able to obsess with games to that extent, even when I was younger. I'd usually put some half-rear end attempt into getting the ultimate weapons or whatever and give up after doing the least difficult ones.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

triple triad is the greatest mini game in any FF game

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Pleased to find so many fellow 8 appreciators ITT

Personally I enjoy the protagonist unwittingly sending his consciousness back in time to control his dad so his dad can shoot his shot with the protagonist's love interest's mom so that the mom can find the courage to become a singer

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Ff8 loving rules god I love how insane that game is.

:hmmyes:

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
the first confirmed marijuana overdose in history posted on the comedy website Something Awful under username "Pobrecito."

Here's a post of his on the "TCC" forum:

I'm a psycho with a nug

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
The only thing that can stop a psycho with a gun is another psycho with a gun

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

some poster did an FF8 LP years ago, before i think even youtube was a thing and that has greatly endeared the game to me

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Pleased to find so many fellow 8 appreciators ITT

Personally I enjoy the protagonist unwittingly sending his consciousness back in time to control his dad so his dad can shoot his shot with the protagonist's love interest's mom so that the mom can find the courage to become a singer

I sing that Eyes On Me song as a lullaby to my baby because it is far more appropriate of a context to sing these insane English lyrics to a cute lil napping baby than a soldier you see at a bar.

That game fuckin rules

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think let's plays really existed before youtube, just nobody sane liked using it because of the ten minute video limit

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/sammyclaws12/status/1443270522062712836

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

spacemang_spliff posted:

The only thing that can stop a psycho with a gunblade is another psycho with a gunblade

but enough about Seifer and Squall

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Jizz Festival posted:

I don't think let's plays really existed before youtube, just nobody sane liked using it because of the ten minute video limit

screenshot lps were definitely a thing.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
I never had or played any of the FF games. I've familiarized myself with the most popular ones (6, 7, 9, X) via lets plays, but I've never been able to finish one of FF8. I've tried several times, but always check out by the time they get Ifrit in the tutorial dungeon.

Chrono Trigger though. Had that, played it a bunch. Still an excellent game.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

screenshot lps were definitely a thing.

yeah i think at one point the thread title was like 'the ballad of worf and rinoa' and i'm pretty sure squall had been renamed rinoa and rinoa had been renamed worf which made the story breakdown even more insane to try and comprehend

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I bounced hard off FF8, I've never been that big a fan of "future but with melee weapons" settings tbh

FFX made it work because of the whole post-apocalypse angle

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
my favorite SNES rpg was secret of evermore, it is way under-rated imho. really great settings and lots of fun gathering alchemy ingredients. also you have a dog which rules.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

I bounced hard off FF8, I've never been that big a fan of "future but with melee weapons" settings tbh

FFX made it work because of the whole post-apocalypse angle

almost as cringe as your posts explaining why you wouldn't probe herstory

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

IAMKOREA posted:

my favorite SNES rpg was secret of evermore, it is way under-rated imho. really great settings and lots of fun gathering alchemy ingredients. also you have a dog which rules.

:hmmyes:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Hmm what should this installment's iteration of Cid do? Hey why don't we make him the principal of a school for child soldiers he runs in order to someday kill his wife

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Jizz Festival posted:

lmao very not mad.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

IAMKOREA posted:

Hell yeah!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Jizz Festival posted:

jfc loq don't be so thin-skinned

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My favorite RPG as a teen was Arcanum, and I'm replaying it now. Holds up IMO, the two weak points were (a) the billionaire industrialist being a good guy and (b) that one sidequest chain where there's a big conspiracy to cover up (((gnomes))) breeding half-ogres to use as bodyguards

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I mean, we were all having a good time talking about Final Fantasies and it seemed a shame to spoil it with a non sequitur about a no reason probation he thought I should have done four days ago but sure in retrospect that might have been an itchy-trigger-finger probe, sorry all

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anyway here's some content

https://twitter.com/AuronMacintyre/status/1442993085798039559

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FF8 is great since you can just rattle off any random plot point and it sounds like a fever dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
turn in your badge