Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have an Aeropress that's like six years old -- bought it used. I've never tried the inverted method and today when I tried it with plain ol' water, it was dripping down the sides of the plunger like the seal wasn't great. Could I solve this by just replacing the rubber part? I have no idea how to troubleshoot a specialized coffee tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Vegetable posted:

I have an Aeropress that's like six years old -- bought it used. I've never tried the inverted method and today when I tried it with plain ol' water, it was dripping down the sides of the plunger like the seal wasn't great. Could I solve this by just replacing the rubber part? I have no idea how to troubleshoot a specialized coffee tool.

yeah you can just pop off the rubber gasket and put a new one on

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
If you know the version of the Aeropress, you can probably just get a replacement part.

https://aeropress.com/product/plunger-seal/

That said, it's pretty inexpensive to simply get a new one. No idea what shipping would be on it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can buy a replacment rubber plug for a few bucks, but I don't know if the ones they sell now are compatible with older Aeropresses. I thought they tweaked the geometry a bit over time but I could be wrong.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm going to ignore the dumb derail and instead post the beautiful coffee beds the Clever dripper is making if you take it slow. It looks like a brownie!

I originally wanted the Clever Dripper because I didn't want to stress about careful pouring. But since I'm apparently doing it anyway I might as well get a pretty pour over. Maybe one of them knockoff chemexes or a nice ceramic V60 or something.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I would love a gooseneck. I brought it up with the wife and we'll float the idea for a christmas gift this year.

I've been using a knockoff v60 so it'll be super nice to have more fine control.

I'm lucky that we already had a variable temp electric kettle, so I just got a heatproof glass gooseneck jug for pouring. Cost me a grand risk of like $40. It had a leather wrap cheeks so it matches the chemex nicely

Re: filler chat - hasn't been an issue for me so far, I've been following the instructions and also my chemex is a 10 cup so the spout is like a loving roof gutter.

Also holy poo poo when I posted about my new set up in a thread I have only lurked and never posted in I was expecting to get rightly ignored not kick off a page long derail about punching folks on the Internet what the gently caress

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

kemikalkadet posted:

I forgot to add, this is something I did as well. Replaced the old black rubber one with a nice new silicone one. I had a thought while I was typing my post out, when I descale I never backflush with the descaler. I wonder if there's some blockage internally before the water gets to the part of the solenoid I can remove, although I'm not sure why that would cause it to gush like it does.

I'm going to do another thorough descale at the weekend and see if that sorts it, if not I'll take a look at the OPV. It's a really old model of Silvia and in theory it should be before they added the adjustable OPV but when I opened it up, it looks identical to the adjustable ones I've seen in videos, with a locking nut and an adjustment nut.
The thing is, there's no way in which the machine can fail where it would suddenly produce a lot more pressure then it should, and certainly not more then could overcome by a tight Turkish grind. The only way OPVs fail is by letting more water drain back into the tank then they should, which would result in less pressure at the group, not more. It sounds like your issue is most likely water escaping between the basket and group gasket and running down into your cup to mix with what little of it is actually going through the grounds; if you're not looking for this specifically it can be hard to spot. You've already replaced the group gasket so we know that's good, plus you aren't getting leaking during backflushing, correct? That points to your coffee basket as possibly being the issue, specifically the rim of it not sitting flat against the group gasket. If you're knocking it out on something hard this can dent/flatten it down to where it won't seal well anymore. Take it out of the portafilter and place it upside down on a hard, flat surface, then see if you can see any light under it. Or, just try another basket and see if you have the same issue.

Oh also there's no point to backflushing with descaler; as long as you're running some through the group you're hitting everywhere scale can build up.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 29, 2021

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

bizwank posted:

The thing is, there's no way in which the machine can fail where it would suddenly produce a lot more pressure then it should, and certainly not more then could overcome by a tight Turkish grind. The only way OPVs fail is by letting more water drain back into the tank then they should, which would result in less pressure at the group, not more. It sounds like your issue is most likely water escaping between the basket and group gasket and running down into your cup to mix with what little of it is actually going through the grounds; if you're not looking for this specifically it can be hard to spot. You've already replaced the group gasket so we know that's good, plus you aren't getting leaking during backflushing, correct? That points to your coffee basket as possibly being the issue, specifically the rim of it not sitting flat against the group gasket. If you're knocking it out on something hard this can dent/flatten it down to where it won't seal well anymore. Take it out of the portafilter and place it upside down on a hard, flat surface, then see if you can see any light under it. Or, just try another basket and see if you have the same issue.

Oh also there's no point to backflushing with descaler; as long as you're running some through the group you're hitting everywhere scale can build up.

When you say leaking between the basket and the gasket do you mean running down inside the portafilter? That's interesting and something I hadn't thought of, there's definitely nothing escaping from the outside of the portafilter, it gushes from the spouts. I was getting a little bit of leakage when backflushing before I replaced the gasket unless I really cranked it in there, think I had a dodgy one from Rancillio because it always rotated a bit too far before it locked in. Since replacing it, it seals fine though. I have the same problem with both the stock 16g Rancillio basket and an 18g VST, they both seem level across the top.

I'll take a video when I next get a chance which probably won't be until Sunday afternoon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
have you considered punching it?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Ok Comboomer posted:

have you considered punching slapping it?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

kemikalkadet posted:

When you say leaking between the basket and the gasket do you mean running down inside the portafilter? That's interesting and something I hadn't thought of, there's definitely nothing escaping from the outside of the portafilter, it gushes from the spouts. I was getting a little bit of leakage when backflushing before I replaced the gasket unless I really cranked it in there, think I had a dodgy one from Rancillio because it always rotated a bit too far before it locked in. Since replacing it, it seals fine though. I have the same problem with both the stock 16g Rancillio basket and an 18g VST, they both seem level across the top.

I'll take a video when I next get a chance which probably won't be until Sunday afternoon.
Running down the outside of the portafilter, perhaps in back. I've seen this twice before, and both times the user was also sure all the water was coming out of the spouts.

If you let the machine get up to coffee temp (heating light goes out) then run water from the group without the portafilter in place, is it a nice chill flow or is it steamy and gushing out?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Got a ridiculous deal on a Flair signature and a JX-Pro on FB marketplace, I was quick on the draw.

https://i.imgur.com/9H2lYNe.gifv

E: will try two at once, just to see how it feels, then sell the Neo and one grinder

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Obviously need to record a video of yourself John Woo dual-wielding espresso shots.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not sure if I've seen a cat with a better "this is what you spend your money on??" expression.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm torn on Hoffman.

On one hand, he provides some pretty quality reviews/how-tos.

On the other hand, his tone and face makes him entirely punchable.

This right here?

Don't do this. Nobody cares who you want to punch in this, the coffee thread.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’ve never seen Hoffman without a comfy sweater so he could be hiding a surprisingly ripped bod under there, uneverkno

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Roasting chat : decided to order a Bullet to replace the Behmor I've been using for 3-ish years.

Pretty excited to ramp up the scale of my home roasting and be the coffee guy in the holiday season...

November delivery is the estimated time from Docent but who knows when it'll happen.

Edit: nothing like a huge purchase like this to trigger all sorts of bad with money buyer's remorse but ah well, it'll pay for itself if coffee costs 15bucks per pound.... Right??

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 30, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mr Newsman posted:

Edit: nothing like a huge purchase like this to trigger all sorts of bad with money buyer's remorse but ah well, it'll pay for itself if coffee costs 15bucks per pound.... Right??

at least with poo poo like that, if you decide you don't like it you'll probably lose all of a couple hundred bucks reselling it, everyone wants one

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
Any recommendations for coffee shops or roasters that deliver (through the post) in Portland?

I'm going to be there for a month but unable to go into the city due to covid restrictions.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Stupid Decisions posted:

Any recommendations for coffee shops or roasters that deliver (through the post) in Portland?

I'm going to be there for a month but unable to go into the city due to covid restrictions.

Extracto is doing free home delivery, based on zip code. It is a no-touch delivery as well.

Best roaster in the city, IMO. They can also drop it in the mail.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

First impression, first shot going from Neo to Signature: a 20g dose is a lovely thing. Looks like I should have done the Classic or better from the beginning, as the main downside of the Neo is it's the only one that can't be upgraded to use the Pro 2 (bigger) brew head. Still, it was a good learning tool as I had to run 2 shots a day so I got lots of practice and side by side experimentation!

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

qutius posted:

Extracto is doing free home delivery, based on zip code. It is a no-touch delivery as well.

Best roaster in the city, IMO. They can also drop it in the mail.

Thanks for this, looks like a good one
. Have ordered and my zip code is included for the free delivery so another bonus.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Espresso tonic was a success

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Top it with some whipped cream. A local cafe here makes a drink called Snowy Plover that's espresso, soda water, and fresh whipped cream and it's friggin great.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Went to a cafe (now sadly closed) that did a cold brew on ice served with a side of sparkling water, made with nitrogen. They called it a Black Fizz, and it was loving incredda.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Stupid Decisions posted:

Thanks for this, looks like a good one
. Have ordered and my zip code is included for the free delivery so another bonus.

They roast some outstanding beans. Hope you enjoy them!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If someone is selling a baby gaggia on Facebook Marketplace for $100 how stupid would I be to buy it knowing that I prefer light roasts and only have a Baratza Encore?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

RichterIX posted:

If someone is selling a baby gaggia on Facebook Marketplace for $100 how stupid would I be to buy it knowing that I prefer light roasts and only have a Baratza Encore?

$100 is a good price for one of those (condition depending) and it’s capable of making good coffee out of the box, but if you want to do light roasts with it you might consider installing a pid kit. A gaggia classic kit should fit right in since the internals are (per youtube) the same. An encore isn’t a great espresso grinder but if you’re willing to remove the stepper detent, or use a double-walled portafilter basket, you should be able to get something decent out of it after a little experimenting, and if you love it you can upgrade later.

On the other hand if none of that sounds fun to you, there’s plenty of other ways to spend $100 on your coffee habit. Put that money into some single origin beans or something.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Need some advice on what to do in this unfortunate situation:

A family friend heard I'm "into" coffee (in that I have an espresso machine & grinder rather than getting it for 99c at Speedway) and got me 4 bags of Kona coffee. A really nice gesture; except that the coffee is pre-ground (much too coarsely for espresso).

I'm tempted to just run the grounds through my grinder... I tried it once but the results weren't great, and suffice to say, no amount of tamping makes the grounds usable for espresso as-is. Any suggestions?

edit:
This stuff (Koa Grande Domaine) to be specific

If it makes a difference the grinder is an OXO Brew Conical Burr

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 7, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just make pourover? Preground isn't gonna be great for much of anything, really. Make giant vats of cold brew.

oh, just noticed it's actually really nice coffee. Hm.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

silvergoose posted:

oh, just noticed it's actually really nice coffee. Hm.

Right. And I pretty much exclusively drink espresso because I'm a prissy bitch - I don't have any gear for pourover (though I guess I can break out my Aeropress)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Try making a spro-over with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5oYzEVQKpA

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

sarcastx posted:

Need some advice on what to do in this unfortunate situation:

A family friend heard I'm "into" coffee (in that I have an espresso machine & grinder rather than getting it for 99c at Speedway) and got me 4 bags of Kona coffee. A really nice gesture; except that the coffee is pre-ground (much too coarsely for espresso).

I'm tempted to just run the grounds through my grinder... I tried it once but the results weren't great, and suffice to say, no amount of tamping makes the grounds usable for espresso as-is. Any suggestions?

edit:
This stuff (Koa Grande Domaine) to be specific

If it makes a difference the grinder is an OXO Brew Conical Burr

I would make a fuckton of cold-brew (and then probably try to figure out a way to put weed in it), but I like cold-brew.

Echoing calls to do pour-over (never too late to drop $20-40 to get a V60 or Chemex, just to -like- have. I know there are bettermore anorak-approved options, but this is about just doing something cheap and v readily accessible with relatively low cognitive lift), or do French-Press (again, don’t spend more than like $25)

Maybe try using it for cafes con leche or baking or flavoring meats or some other type of thing that you’d never use nice espresso for

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

James Hoffman had good results regrinding ground coffee with the very important caveat that you feed it into the grinder just a little at a time. In fact, in doing so he actually had to grind finer than normal to achieve the same coarseness as a normal grind with whole beans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IjFfl-8Gu8

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Thoughts on calibrated tampers, the kind where they have a spring loaded thing so you know you pressed right or whatnot? Are they worth their cost?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Not really. Tamping with consistent force isn't really all that difficult. The thing that's actually worth getting is a self-levelling tamper. These tampers are designed in such a way that they ensure you get a level tamp every time. Many of the self-levelling tampers are also calibrated tampers as well, it's just that the self-levelling part is much more valuable than the calibrated weight part.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Does anyone know the name of the double walled cups hoffman has? He said it in some video but going back through them would be quite a chore.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
kruve?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

yeah that's it, thanks. my memory turned it into "krave" which didn't work in google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

bizwank posted:

Running down the outside of the portafilter, perhaps in back. I've seen this twice before, and both times the user was also sure all the water was coming out of the spouts.

If you let the machine get up to coffee temp (heating light goes out) then run water from the group without the portafilter in place, is it a nice chill flow or is it steamy and gushing out?

Just got round to looking at this again. Did a another descale this time but more thoroughly, did a 3 hour descale with some new stuff with a hot boiler rather than running some random old delonghi stuff through in about 20 minutes. Set up a camera to film a shot pulling and it... pulled normally. It maybe started channelling earlier than it should but perfectly drinkable and no instant gushing. I'm still left with a really wet puck though so I think there might still be a problem with the solenoid. Here's a pic of the puck after pulling a shot and water flow when the boiler is up to shot temperature, flow seems fine.

https://i.imgur.com/J3OA5DO.mp4