Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

RSV gang tag sounds nice

Doctor confirmed constipation in the toddler and wrote a prescription for lactulose, so will see how that works when I can actually get the loving prescription because no Rx they send in electronically actually makes it to the pharmacy. Luckily he saw his usual doctor today, who also prints out paper Rx just in case. Only problem was, my only chance to drop it off was on the way to pick up the kids from daycare, and both lanes at the drive through were four cars deep because that is the story of my life: anywhere I need to go is improbably busy at the most improbable times. Of course I also tried going in and same poo poo. It’s really frustrating when the electronic Rx doesn’t loving go through and I can’t just ducking go pick up meds my kids need, first I have to wade through people just to drop the loving thing off and then wait for hours just for it to get filled.

But, at least we are working toward a solution for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enshoku
Jun 1, 2013
Picture it, you are sitting down, rocking your newborn daughter on your lap at one in the morning, red bull in hand. As you go to take a sip of redbull, she spits up an entire stomach worth of breast milk right into your mouth.

My night is ruined, and more importantly so is my redbull.

The fac that she's growing 90 grams a day while vomming like a grunge singer is a miracle of science.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Enshoku posted:

My night is ruined, and more importantly so is my redbull.

New thread title candidate right here

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I have to read bedtime stories to two kids and a cat nowadays. Keeps jumping in my lap and forcing himself in there when I am reading to the kids. Eventually he grows bored and attacks my arms. In the latter he is a lot like the kids, then.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
With condolences to the RSV crew, I have to humblebrag. My 2.5 year old has his first cold after being prescribed a steroid inhaler as a prophylactic, and compared to every other sickness he’s had this is Easy Mode. No late-night trips to the ER! No waking him up at 3 in the morning to give him the nebulizer! He can cough or cry without vomiting up a ton of mucus!

Part of me is still worried about the long-term affects of the inhaler (daily use is associated with restricted growth in the short term; right now we only use it when he’s sick). But for the first time in his life this feels like a normal lovely cold that we all suffer through, not a life-or-death situation. Knock on wood.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
We're flying with my 20-month-old in a week for the first time. We bought a seat for him even though he could be a lap infant because we thought it would be easier for a trans-Atlantic flight to have a whole row. My question is do we need to put him in his car seat, or can he just be in the seat with the normal seatbelt? I understand it's not as safe, but I'm thinking having that bulky car seat in the middle of our row will be really uncomfortable plus he hates it because we almost never use it (city life, no car) and he'll probably be on one of our laps most of the time anyway.

Also any general plane/travel advice appreciated, TIA

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

boquiabierta posted:

We're flying with my 20-month-old in a week for the first time. We bought a seat for him even though he could be a lap infant because we thought it would be easier for a trans-Atlantic flight to have a whole row. My question is do we need to put him in his car seat, or can he just be in the seat with the normal seatbelt? I understand it's not as safe, but I'm thinking having that bulky car seat in the middle of our row will be really uncomfortable plus he hates it because we almost never use it (city life, no car) and he'll probably be on one of our laps most of the time anyway.

please let us know how this goes! my son will be 15 months on a transatlantic flight this coming November and I'm not looking forward to it. dude haaates sitting in one place.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Last week: your nephew has a runny nose, not bringing him over for babysitting
2 days later(Thursday), wife: going over to nephew's house to play
Me: don't get our daughter sick please
Wife: oh he's fine now

Sunday-Now, me: runny nose, sore throat

loving giant pandemic, we've managed to avoid covid but people just absolutely do not understand germ theory :argh:

Thankfully it's super mild, but my nephew goes to a Very Large daycare and in the last 18 months, every time, he's been the disease vector for the whole family who are all WFH

loving

Enshoku
Jun 1, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Last week: your nephew has a runny nose, not bringing him over for babysitting
2 days later(Thursday), wife: going over to nephew's house to play
Me: don't get our daughter sick please
Wife: oh he's fine now

Sunday-Now, me: runny nose, sore throat

loving giant pandemic, we've managed to avoid covid but people just absolutely do not understand germ theory :argh:

Thankfully it's super mild, but my nephew goes to a Very Large daycare and in the last 18 months, every time, he's been the disease vector for the whole family who are all WFH

loving
drat, y'all are getting daycares? Out this way everything is waitlisted to all hell because of 'rona class sizes. I may end up working from home until she's like 2 at this rate.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm in one of the urban core areas where everybody fled for the suburbs

Our "home care" daycare has capacity/licensed for 12, was 4 when we started in June, currently down to 2 (including our daughter, so one other girl a couple months older), the owner keeps begging us for referrals

I don't know how you get anything done, baby was a handful at 7 months starting to crawl, now at 10 11 months we're already getting a taste of what the terrible twos will bring us

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 29, 2021

Enshoku
Jun 1, 2013

Hadlock posted:

I'm in one of the urban core areas where everybody fled for the suburbs

Our "home care" daycare has capacity/licensed for 12, was 4 when we started in June, currently down to 2 (including our daughter, so one other girl a couple months older), the owner keeps begging us for referrals

I don't know how you get anything done, baby was a handful at 7 months starting to crawl, now at 10 11 months we're already getting a taste of what the terrible twos will bring us

She's currently only like 3 weeks old, so she's basically just a machine that takes milk as input, and outputs vomit and dirty diapers. She may prove far more trouble when she gets legs on her. Chances are about 70 percent the kid has ADHD, so we'll see how ragged she ends up running us. My work has its own daycare system because we have 50000 employees in the city, but it's backlogged out a year prior to covid, now its closer to two.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Things improve remarkably somewhere between 4 and 6 weeks once the baby can sleep for 2-4 hours, then it's easy street until 5 months or so

Unrelated, are there like, open source pdf coloring books? I just paid, I think, $6 for a coloring book, I'm pretty sure our HOA has a shared laser printer with unlimited use privileges

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I was about to try to help by pointing out that lactulose is an OTC drug, but apparently the US is the only country in the world where a common laxative with no side effects is prescription only :psyduck:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

boquiabierta posted:

Never flew with a kid that small. I'd ask the airline whether they are OK with him sitting in the seat normally. If they are, then I'd probably do that if it were me.

From a safety perspective, the scenario where the seat belt prevents injury the most is sudden turbulence. You don't want him to be thrown through the air if that happens - whether the simple seatbelt is enough or not, I can't answer. He's safer strapped down in the seat than running around the aisles because he hates his car seat. I believe the second and third highest risks are getting injured by falling luggage from the overhead rack (with or without turbulence) and getting a leg or arm run into by a trolley, so put him in the middle/window seat.

(I consider any scenario where the plane crashes to be so unlikely that you don't need to plan for it... Call me reckless maybe.)

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 29, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

womb with a view posted:

I was about to try to help by pointing out that lactulose is an OTC drug, but apparently the US is the only country in the world where a common laxative with no side effects is prescription only :psyduck:

Yeah if someone here in the US can find a way to abuse a laxative they certainly will try. In the meantime I’m guessing the major danger is dehydration?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Enshoku posted:

The fac that she's growing 90 grams a day while vomming like a grunge singer is a miracle of science.

I legit lol’d at this. It’s 7am here and both kids have been up over an hour, so I needed the laugh since baby girl has been up a lot the last few nights

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

womb with a view posted:

We get access to OTC melatonin, it’s a fair trade off.

Lactulose is commonly used for people with liver disease or who have drank themselves to cirrhosis, as a way to manage their blood ammonia levels. In the hospital setting, anyway, it’s not used for a laxative very often. There are a bunch of other poop drugs use are usually tried first.

Have lots of clean pants and wipes ready when you give the lactulose, it liquifies poo.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hello RSV crew

Stomach bug crew checking in.

Barf. Barf everywhere.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
And my wife's car broke down and needed 1k in repairs

And I dropped and shattered my phone.

And I'm sick too. Voice is gone.

Man when it rains it pours huh. But at least I'm not the one barfing for now

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Ffffffffuuuu I just accidentally dumped four ounces of freshly pumped milk down the drain. At the end of every day I dump out my toddler’s 360 cups that have accumulated, and I just reflexively twisted off the cap and dumped. That’s what an entire night of sleeping sitting up with your sick kid will do I guess.

Baby officially has RSV and rhinovirus, no covid. Toddler only had RSV when she was tested. Where the heck did the baby get the cold from?? And now I feel like garbage today so that’s cool. My mom is coming up later to at least give me a little break from the toddler.

COVID test for the toddler today, oooh boyeee.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Koivunen posted:

Lactulose is commonly used for people with liver disease or who have drank themselves to cirrhosis, as a way to manage their blood ammonia levels. In the hospital setting, anyway, it’s not used for a laxative very often. There are a bunch of other poop drugs use are usually tried first.

Have lots of clean pants and wipes ready when you give the lactulose, it liquifies poo.

I mean all it took for my four surgeries and two months stay in Landstuhl in Germany was some chocolate drink in place of food and I was ready for surgery the next day.

But yeah, I’m trying to prepare. I don’t know if he even remembers what it feels like to have to go poop, but my wife is still adamant against pull-ups and has said she’d rather just have him naked waist-down just like for initial potty training. Either way we are in for it, but I’d take it over him being backed up and having to wipe his rear end five times the same evening. It’s to the point we can pretty much assume that he’s got a bit of poop in his underwear or pull up or at least between his butt cheeks most times we are changing him for a non-poop-related reason.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

How do you other US folks feel about melatonin for toddlers?

Our son is 3 next month and if he has a nap during the day, he’ll often stay awake until 9/10 PM before going to bed, even though we put him in his room for bedtime at 7:30. He was crabby in the morning so we figured it was lack of sleep

We tried melatonin gummies a few weeks ago to prevent this. They worked immediately, almost too well for our liking. Within 20 minutes he was noticeably tired and he passed right out. He’s a lighter weight kid in the teens for growth percentiles, so maybe half a gummy would have been a better idea?

I dunno-we didn’t like how drugged he looked on them so we decided to deal with him being up late playing in his room unless it becomes a problem.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
A relative of our daughter had an absolutely batshit and extremely rare reaction (basically went insane and thought her husband was the antichrist, and thought the world was ending) to melatonin and tried to steal the ambulance that was called for her, so that's gonna be a no go for us.

The ER she went to was amazed that her tox screen was negative. The insanity faded on its own over a few hours. My understanding was that it was essentially like, lucid + sleepwalking hypnogogia.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Koivunen posted:

Oh interesting, I didn't know that. Truth be told I'm only familiar with it because it's used as a laxative in veterinary medicine, and the vets here will tell you to just buy it from the human pharmacies since it's cheaper.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I would be cautious about giving OTC melatonin to a toddler or any child really. The quality control on it is really bad and you have no idea what dose you're actually getting in each pill/tablet/capsules/whatever you give

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5263069/

Edit: The study also notes that the long-term effects in prepubescent children that use this are not known but it did show effects in lab animals that were concerning and should be considered as well.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Personally, I'm a pretty bug dude and even a half pill drugs me to high hell, to the point that I can't even function until noon the next day.

For that, I won't give it to me kid. Or even take it for myself. I have trouble sleeping pretty often and I'd much rather suffer through no sleep than suffer through the melatonin.

My other concern would be the other side of the spectrum, I'd be worried about a dependence on it to sleep.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

sheri posted:

I would be cautious about giving OTC melatonin to a toddler or any child really. The quality control on it is really bad and you have no idea what dose you're actually getting in each pill/tablet/capsules/whatever you give

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5263069/

Edit: The study also notes that the long-term effects in prepubescent children that use this are not known but it did show effects in lab animals that were concerning and should be considered as well.

gently caress. Thanks Sheri. I’m going to get rid of it.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Does he nap yet? If so you may want to try cutting the nap down or dropping it entirely if he's not going to fall asleep at a reasonable time at night.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

sheri posted:

Does he nap yet? If so you may want to try cutting the nap down or dropping it entirely if he's not going to fall asleep at a reasonable time at night.

Sometimes he goes without a nap, but since preschool started he’ll usually nap from 2-4 or even 5 sometimes. We don’t want to wake him and it lets us get some things done during the day, but it makes for a cranky kid at the dinner table when we try to eat around 5.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

How do we teach a kid to put blankets on himself? He's 16 months old. He kicks them off and then cries randomly in the night. WIthin 30 seconds of us resetting the blankets he's passed back out usually but its happening a lot of the time.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

L0cke17 posted:

How do we teach a kid to put blankets on himself? He's 16 months old. He kicks them off and then cries randomly in the night. WIthin 30 seconds of us resetting the blankets he's passed back out usually but its happening a lot of the time.

We just used a wearable blanket on our kid until he was about three? Halo, who makes the sleep sacks, also makes essentially a zip up blanket with feet and arm holes so their feet are sticking out and their arms are sticking out but the rest of them is covered in a nice blanket like thing.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

Wearable blanket or sleep sack! Halo makes ones with legs for toddlers.

e:f,b

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

He refuses those. Screams and cries and will not sleep. Just sits up and sobs uncontrollably til we take it off.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

L0cke17 posted:

He refuses those. Screams and cries and will not sleep. Just sits up and sobs uncontrollably til we take it off.

Similar concept but more pajamas style: https://www.ergopouch.com.au/shop-by-age/toddler/sleep-onesie

You might need to toggle location in the top right. I have a huge range of things from this brand and am a bit evangelical about it because they have these plus warm pajamas plus bags.

I used this as a way to transition to sheets and blankets. Put this on and a sheet, doesn’t matter if it gets kicked off, kid is still warm. Eventually they get the concept of sheets and you can move to that and blankets.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Just buy warmer PJs and let them sleep without a blanket, but continue to put in on them every night. I don't think my 18mo has figured out how to put a blanket on himself yet either - we often wake up to him in a corner of his crib with blankets thrown out of the crib or with him sleeping ON the blankets.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

extravadanza posted:

Just buy warmer PJs and let them sleep without a blanket, but continue to put in on them every night. I don't think my 18mo has figured out how to put a blanket on himself yet either - we often wake up to him in a corner of his crib with blankets thrown out of the crib or with him sleeping ON the blankets.

Even later on like 3ish it can get a little iffy

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Our kids all loved the sleep sacks, they were great for staying cosy.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

life is killing me posted:

Even later on like 3ish it can get a little iffy

Yeah, my kid figured it out at like 4. And even then, he'll occasionally need a blanket reapplied in the middle of the night.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Yea, for all parents looking at bedsheets for their toddlers transitioning to a bed - just do yourself a massive favor and buy a duvet cover + duvet instead of the thin cotton sheet + warmer middle sheet + comforter that you may have been raised with. Our 4yo is pretty capable of covering herself by now with the duvet because it's just 1 piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nwin posted:

Sometimes he goes without a nap, but since preschool started he’ll usually nap from 2-4 or even 5 sometimes. We don’t want to wake him and it lets us get some things done during the day, but it makes for a cranky kid at the dinner table when we try to eat around 5.

Yeah there's your problem. You should not expect a kid that age to go to bed at a reasonable hour after napping for 2 or three hours in the afternoon.

Ours is the same age, as you'll remember, and the only way we could keep her bedtime anywhere before 9 PM has been to gradually cut her nap down from 2h at 2 years old, through 1h at 2,5 y o and now down to 45 minutes. She's a bit grumpy when we wake her but after a snack she perks right up and is a happy camper until bed time rolls around about 8 PM.

When we were home with RSV last week, she wouldn't nap for three days and still it went sort of OK. I'm counting on dropping naps entirely pretty soon. She's been slipping later again this week - I put her to bed at 8, read a story, lights out and then she's awake and trying to make conversation with me until god damned 9.15 some evening.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 29, 2021