Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Bring back Colin, RTD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

ALSO, the trailer for THE EVIL OF THE DALEKS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROdUPDwOw8A

gently caress yes.... gently caress. YES! :hellyeah:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Despite my gripes with RTD anything's better than Chibnall, gently caress. I'm fine with fun bad instead of bad bad.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Crosspeice posted:

Despite my gripes with RTD anything's better than Chibnall, gently caress. I'm fine with fun bad instead of bad bad.

People keep saying this and I have to wonder if they watched the same bad RTD episodes that I did.

Fear Her is not "fun bad". Planet of the Dead is not "fun bad". A lot of RTD's bad stuff is cringeworthy at best and downright dire at worst.

If Doctor Who was MST3K, RTD's bad wouldn't even be comparable to a movie by Ed Wood or "The Wild World of Batwoman". It'd be more like a Coleman Francis or Ray Dennis Steckler movie, or "Track of the Moon Beast" or whatnot.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yes he also had plenty of bad episodes, it's also a lot to do with the time, the mid 2000s was pretty dire for a lot of stuff and Doctor Who fell into that trap. But there were a lot of episodes that were fun bad that I've watched plenty of times, it's the whole taking a series as a full parcel, taking the show as a full package. Yes there's gonna be a proper shite and you'll question what you're doing with your life, but then the Doctor will swordfight an alien in his dressing gown and kill him with a satsuma and you're hollering. That's the fun of Doctor Who, the quality is wildly different week from week.

Now RTD will have more than Chibnall ever will, but aside from watching Jodie being amazing in the role, I will have a hard time convincing myself to rewatch these past couple series, it has been the blandest the revival has ever been. It's been perfectly fine here and there, but I don't think he really gets this show, and it's a shame cause Jodie's tenure has really suffered because of it.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Rtds work post who has been consistantly good in recent years. The Jeremy wassit thing was camp but chilling. The near future one was most like who but with more of a point.

It's a sin is one of the best bits of telly this year.

Or last year.

Best bits of telly ever full stop.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I will say that in RTD's favor, he did seem less obsessed with "leaving his mark" on DW than Chibnall did. Which is ironic because obviously he did leave his mark, but it seemed like he did so in a way that was "wouldn't it be cool if..." and ran with it, for good or bad. Whereas Chibnall just comes across as someone who wants to be seen as the person who brought sweeping changes to the show, at the cost of the show actually being any good.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Crosspeice posted:

Now RTD will have more than Chibnall ever will, but aside from watching Jodie being amazing in the role, I will have a hard time convincing myself to rewatch these past couple series, it has been the blandest the revival has ever been. It's been perfectly fine here and there, but I don't think he really gets this show, and it's a shame cause Jodie's tenure has really suffered because of it.

I think the biggest problem is that Chibnall lacks an underlying vision for what the show is. His scripts under other showrunners were never great, but by Series 7 they had at least grown to the level of pretty good. But faced with heading the show himself, his first series defaulted to "I dunno, Supernatural?" and his second series to I don't even know what the gently caress.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I personally think that RTD coming back to the show is bad for several reasons:

1. It smacks of desperation on the BBC's part. Regardless of who approached who first, it looks for all the world like they desperately want to make the show the pop culture phenomenon it was during RTD's first run, which is going to be nigh-on impossible to do.

4. He clearly wants to franchise the poo poo out of the show, which is absolutely not what it needs right now.

5. Finally, and this is just a personal opinion, but I honestly don't think he's as great a writer as everyone seems to think. What bits of his non-DW stuff that I have seen, haven't exactly blown me away. But again, that's just a personal taste thing, nothing more.

RTD is in my opinion one of the best writers to ever work on the show, but points 1 and 4 still leave me feeling really ambivalent. I've been asking myself if the choice was between the return of RTD and cancelling the show outright (and I suspect that's pretty likely) which one I'd prefer, and I'm just barely pulling for RTD. There is some value in letting the show lie fallow for awhile until a new generation comes up with something interesting to say about it, but right now the show has been left in the worst possible place. Doctor Who persisted for decades after cancellation precisely because it was in the middle of a creative renaissance. If the last serial broadcast had been The Twin Dilemma, that's just the end, period. Nobody in 20 years is going to watch The Battle of I Can't Even Think of a Funny Name or the Doctor tossing a guy into a concentration camp and be like, "I wanna make more of that!"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

RTD showrunner
Moffat writer
Whittaker for one more season under them

:hmmyes:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Rochallor posted:

RTD is in my opinion one of the best writers to ever work on the show, but points 1 and 4 still leave me feeling really ambivalent. I've been asking myself if the choice was between the return of RTD and cancelling the show outright (and I suspect that's pretty likely) which one I'd prefer, and I'm just barely pulling for RTD. There is some value in letting the show lie fallow for awhile until a new generation comes up with something interesting to say about it, but right now the show has been left in the worst possible place. Doctor Who persisted for decades after cancellation precisely because it was in the middle of a creative renaissance. If the last serial broadcast had been The Twin Dilemma, that's just the end, period. Nobody in 20 years is going to watch The Battle of I Can't Even Think of a Funny Name or the Doctor tossing a guy into a concentration camp and be like, "I wanna make more of that!"

I think the main problem we're all kind of skating around here is that all three of the people who have run the show since its return are basically elevated fanboys, who are all at some level obsessed with the idea of the show being "cool". I personally think the show could benefit from a person who takes a more "detached" view, who wants to make compelling science fiction TV without necessarily trying to atone for the past perception of the show being for little kids and trainspotters.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

On that note, I'm actually thankful that they're bringing back somebody who's perfectly fine with the series being silly.

Doctor Who doesn't need to be prestige drama. It's for children and that's okay.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just hire Jamie Mathieson to write some loving awesome stories, RTD, he can be your Moffat for this tenure!

Also I still think every so often about RTD's cameo in The Fiveish Doctors which really does seem like an accurate portrayal of his ridiculous enthusiasm for the show :3:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Russell The Davies

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bring back Ace for the new Doctor Who MCU.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A 12 episode season should have 3 eps by established Who writers, 3 eps by established tv writers who haven't done Who before, 3 eps at least outlined by SF authors who haven't done Who before, and 3 eps by new young writers.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Infinitum posted:

RTD showrunner
Moffat writer
Whittaker for one more season under them

:hmmyes:

Yes. This is the way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Khanstant posted:

Bring back Ace for the new Doctor Who MCU.

Working out charitable solutions, and if they don’t work, blowing up the obstacles.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Jon Blum, writer of various Who things:

Jon Blum posted:

Doctor Who fandom thrives on despair, so it’s kind of fascinating seeing people find ways to be downbeat about RTD returning to the show. They’re painting it as a backward step, a sign of the show running out of steam, or a repudiation of the current show’s level of performance... when in fact the Beeb would want to make a move like this even if Who was as big as at its absolute peak, and even if RTD had never worked on the show before.

Because BBC Studios has always wanted Who to be *bigger* than its absolute peak.

Remember, since the move to BBC Studios in 2017, Who has been in the hands of the guys who have been pushing for a Who feature film for a decade. They want this show to be playing in the big leagues, internationally — and that means co-production funding. And *that* means a showrunner who has a strong track record with the co-pro partners, a respected industry name on both sides of the Atlantic, preferably with a string of critical and/or mass-audience hits in recent years. Better still if the partner in question is HBO Max, who recently picked up the Who streaming rights... oh, look who co-produced Russell’s last two projects, and look who owns a chunk of Bad Wolf Productions too. And even better if the showrunner has expressed an understanding of Marvel’s multi-series shared-universe model, and a desire to remodel Who based on that.

The Russell T Davies of 2009 couldn’t offer any of that. The RTD of 2021 can. *That’s* the guy they want to run Doctor Who next — not a guy whose claim to fame is years behind him, but a guy who’s just had another acclaimed hit.

And seriously — how many other people in the UK TV industry *could* offer that?

And that’s before you get into the matter of naming a showrunner who has a track record of appealing across a wide age range, who has created multiple successful kids’ series at a time when the Beeb is more desperate than ever to grab young viewers. As well as combining the commitment of a Michaela Coel to full-on diverse storytelling (seriously, look at the very existence of “Banana”) with, y’know, a decent chance of people actually *watching* his shows. (“It’s A Sin” got mainstream ratings on Channel 4 which “I May Destroy You” on BBC1 could only dream of.)

(Hell, he’s even got a better record at talent-spotting future contributors to Who than anyone else you can think of. He gets the idea of setting up shows like “Torchwood” or “Banana” as a farm team, to train up promising people before they get a crack at the main show — “Banana” brought us Charlie Covell, who’s gone on to bigger things like “The End of the F***ing World” on Netflix. If you ever want to see an Emerald Fennell take on Who? You’d have a better chance of getting her to write *an* episode first under RTD — or maybe a “Donna: Defender of the Earth” limited series — than throwing her in the deep end and expecting her to take over the whole franchise for years.)

The other names which were being bandied about as potential showrunners were all a step down on the reputation level from Chris Broadchurch Chibnall — I think Pete McTighe’s great, but he has yet to do even one series that’s been landmark TV the way “It’s A Sin” has been. (Sally Wainwright might have been in with a shot, if she wanted it, but she’s ludicrously busy already on other shows for the BBC.) Going for someone who *isn’t* in the landmark-TV league would have been the cautious, modest choice — the one that just hoped that Who wouldn’t drop too far below past glories. But BBC Studios wants the moon, and this approach is their best chance of getting it.

And a key thing that some fans don’t seem to get, is that this kind of calculus is exactly the same *regardless* of the current state of the show. If the Beeb bought into the much-pushed-in-fandom narrative of there being a “stench of failure” surrounding the show? You’d want to go bigger with Russell. But if the show were cruising along at a 2018 level, as big as it had ever been? You’d *still* want to go bigger with Russell. Chibnall’s performance is irrelevant to the decision; it starts from the premise that Chibnall’s run is *over*, and what matters is what you do for an encore.

Bottom line — going to Russell T Davies is not a desperation move, it’s not going for the safe choice. It’s going for the most ambitious choice. The most forward-looking vision of Who’s place in TV we’ve seen yet, I think.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Either Jon Blum is angling for a job on the show when RTD returns, or he's putting a shitload of weighty expectations on what is essentially a kids' show about a time-traveling alien.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

He’s a refugee of the Wilderness Years.

Also, please enjoy his fan film he did at college (that’s him as 7, with an accent that wanders between dreadful and surprisingly decent):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnvS5dN3iaA

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

He’s a refugee of the Wilderness Years.

Also, please enjoy his fan film he did at college (that’s him as 7, with an accent that wanders between dreadful and surprisingly decent):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnvS5dN3iaA

Oh, I know who Jon Blum is, I read a bunch of the PDA/8DA books back in the day.

Again, I'm just going to say that I think Blum's (and RTD's) ideas for making DW into a colossal global media franchise with a bunch of spinoffs are terrible, because it comes across as them and the BBC trying to will a colossal global media franchise into existence, and that's just a recipe for disaster. Focus on making the show good again. Or at least entertaining again. Build the show back up, and if it gets to be popular again, then the opportunities to do spinoffs and things will come organically. The solution to fixing the sagging ratings of the Chibnall "beige" era is not to just fling a bunch of poo poo at the wall and hope most of it sticks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I feel like RTD’s plans are of the long term variety. He definitely mentioned recently getting the base show set up to be something worth spinning off again.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like RTD’s plans are of the long term variety. He definitely mentioned recently getting the base show set up to be something worth spinning off again.

On the one hand, I hope that's the case, the show needs to be nurtured again and not forced into a role that's far too big for it to handle.

On the other hand, the first show RTD spun off from DW was Torchwood.

E: I did want to expand on a point I made earlier, about DW being run by someone who's "detached", i.e. not an elevated fanboy. I just remembered that the guys who ran Game of Thrones clearly didn't give a poo poo about the source material or the show itself, which was fully evident when they started running out of source material, and the clearest example was when they got bored and just decided to end the show rather than let HBO give it to someone else to run. So yeah, being "detached" from the show's lore and history can be just as bad as if you have a fanboy who's obsessed with the show being seen as hip and cool and sexy (Moffat, whose version of DW I gave up on halfway through Smith's second season), or who wants the show to be seen as a bastion of progressiveness and inclusion (Chibnall, whose motives were at least very noble; unfortunately the end result was also very boring and dull).

RTD, ironically enough, always came across to me as the person who was least worried about whether the show was considered "cool" or not; he was going to make the version of DW he always wanted to make, and the fact that it became hugely popular once Tennant came on board was just icing on the cake. Whether I liked his version of DW or not is a different story, but I'll definitely give him credit for just making the show that he wanted to make and not worrying about whether or not it was still considered the province of anoraks, trainspotters, and spotty teens.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 28, 2021

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oh, I know who Jon Blum is, I read a bunch of the PDA/8DA books back in the day.

Again, I'm just going to say that I think Blum's (and RTD's) ideas for making DW into a colossal global media franchise with a bunch of spinoffs are terrible, because it comes across as them and the BBC trying to will a colossal global media franchise into existence, and that's just a recipe for disaster. Focus on making the show good again. Or at least entertaining again. Build the show back up, and if it gets to be popular again, then the opportunities to do spinoffs and things will come organically. The solution to fixing the sagging ratings of the Chibnall "beige" era is not to just fling a bunch of poo poo at the wall and hope most of it sticks.

You’re an MST3K fan, so surely you understand that making a show “good” isn’t just a matter of having a cast and production team and writer who want to make good TV.

Doctor Who fans really are both the best and the worst. Years of complaining about how little show we’ve been getting, and now that we’re faced with the prospect of getting loads more than we were, I look forward to years of complaints about that, too.

There are some big advantages to having a franchise, and some real risks. I greatly enjoyed Sarah Jane and am grateful we got some extra time with the wonderful Lis Sladen before her untimely death. Torchwood was a mixed bag, but Children of Earth was fantastic and nobody is forcing me to watch Cyberwoman again. Who’s strength has always been its ability to give you lots of different kinds of stories, like an Every-Flavored Bean, and even in the worst seasons of the show there’s something worth watching. Let’s see what develops. In the meantime, after the ongoing phenomenon of the show doing less with less and the repeated suspicion that the BBC isn’t providing enough money for a full season of shows, the prospect of Bad Wolf co-producing and HBO bankrolling should be welcome. If you don’t enjoy what’s coming, stop watching. Another change will come along in a few more years, and in the meantime, there will be some good and terrible episodes to seek out or avoid.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Narsham posted:

You’re an MST3K fan, so surely you understand that making a show “good” isn’t just a matter of having a cast and production team and writer who want to make good TV.

Oh, for sure. Some of the best MST3K/Rifftrax stuff (and by best I mean "worst" in terms of movies) were made by people whose ambitions far outstripped their budget, talent, and ability. (E: and for the record, I thought the revived MST3K that Joel spearheaded completely sucked, so it's not just NuWho that I get all curmudgeonly about :v:)

I think in my case I'm leery of franchises in general, because they inevitably produce more bad than good (Sturgeon's Law, and all that). If you have a franchise, you want it to make money, and eventually you pump out so much content that it becomes overexposed and watered down and people get tired of it.

I get what you're saying, though; Ridley Scott stripped away too much of the mystery with Prometheus and Covenant, but there's nothing that says I can't just ignore those movies (which I do) and just watch Alien again whenever I want. Same with DW. Nobody's forcing me to watch the modern DW stuff I generally dislike, I can just go watch a Troughton episode or whatever and be perfectly happy with that.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 28, 2021

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
BBC should simply start purging old episodes again, then everyone would have to watch the new show!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Forktoss posted:

BBC should simply start purging old episodes again, then everyone would have to watch the new show!

They wouldn't do that, they'd just edit them with deepfakes and soundalikes, so that every classic story would be a 15-minute commercial for the new series.

"Gosh, these Daleks/Cybermen/Sontarans/Autons/Zarbi are some tough foes! I wonder how my newest incarnation will be handling them on Saturday at 7 PM!"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I just found a review of doctor who I wrote in 1997:

"here is this guy called doctor who. he's a time lord and he goes around helping people. he always has an assistant and sometimes he dies and they get a new charactor. he goes around using a space ship called the tartarus it was ment to be able to change in to anything so it will blend in but it got stuck as a phone booth. he had a few differnt enemys like the dialects and the cybermen. I always thought the dialects were robots but I saw one that showed they had little creatures inside. I know near the end there was a real bad time lord. also I remember a big series of episodes abot time crystals that got lost he had to go around all of them and then he turned out to be the last one.Remember how doctor who used to go up stairs to fool the dialects and then he went to the future and the dialects could levitate."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They wouldn't do that, they'd just edit them with deepfakes and soundalikes, so that every classic story would be a 15-minute commercial for the new series.

"Gosh, these Daleks/Cybermen/Sontarans/Autons/Zarbi are some tough foes! I wonder how my newest incarnation will be handling them on Saturday at 7 PM!"

The Second Doctor story "The Wheel in Space" literally ended this way so they could show a repeat of "The Evil of the Daleks"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I just found a review of doctor who I wrote in 1997:

"here is this guy called doctor who. he's a time lord and he goes around helping people. he always has an assistant and sometimes he dies and they get a new charactor. he goes around using a space ship called the tartarus it was ment to be able to change in to anything so it will blend in but it got stuck as a phone booth. he had a few differnt enemys like the dialects and the cybermen. I always thought the dialects were robots but I saw one that showed they had little creatures inside. I know near the end there was a real bad time lord. also I remember a big series of episodes abot time crystals that got lost he had to go around all of them and then he turned out to be the last one.Remember how doctor who used to go up stairs to fool the dialects and then he went to the future and the dialects could levitate."

pretty solid synopsis of everything

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I am now halfway through season 12 in my way to catch up with the show. Loved seeing Captain Jack again but why can't the Doctor just...idk be the Doctor? A Time Lord who didn't really fit in and ran away to explore and have fun? Does there have to be some weird mystery/all important origin?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Doctor Who is already a franchise and has had some manner of spin-offs under every showrunner tenure so far as far as I'm aware (Chibnall admittedly doesn't fit super-well, but they did the whole Time Lord Victorious under him).

Basically, I don't think RTD said something particularly weird and heck, he's basically already done the same thing under his first tenure.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

why can't the Doctor just...idk be the Doctor? A Time Lord who didn't really fit in and ran away to explore and have fun? Does there have to be some weird mystery/all important origin?

There absolutely does not, and I really hope this stupid Timeless Child bullshit gets dumped into the same place as "half human on my mother's side". That's where the "Mobius Doctors" were also laying festering until Chibnall scooped them out and declared,"It's okay guys! I found it! Now we can finally have an answer to the question that already got answered 400 times over the last 35 years!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Watched the 'Evil of the Daleks' recon. Two episodes last night, and I planned to do the same tonight, but ended up slamming all the remaining five in one go. It was drat good! And by the time the story got to Skaro in part 6, the animation and After Effects teams had upped their game so much that I kept forgetting I was watching a cartoon and treated it as a slightly juddery regular episode. Great to finally see the original Emperor Dalek, even if it was in CGI form.

Missed out on a bit of catharsis by not actually seeing Maxtible get what he deserved, though. Oh well, it happened 50 years ago, I should get over it.

And why they stuck with that godawful animation model of Jamie that looks nothing like him for all this time, I have no idea...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still remember the first time hearing the Emperor Dalek's voice. It still holds up so well to this day, I loved that they got as similar as possible for it again in The Parting of the Ways: THEY SURVIVED THROUGH ME! - said "survival" was even a deviation of "The Dalek Factor" from Evil!

Man it's kind of a shame that we only ever really got one episode and never really got to explore the concept of Daleks that have gone insane(r) with self-loathing because they know they're built from "inferior" human genes manipulated into being as close an approximation to Dalek genes as possible, and that insanity has warped into a religious fanaticism for the only "true" Dalek left in the Emperor, who in turn went completely mad from eons of isolation after barely surviving the end of the Time War.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
From context you can say that the other faces are Mobius's incarnations. Aside from some super deep cuts of Virgin New Adventures and Target lore, that was the de facto handwave of that bit. Retconning it away runs that great theme in Twice Upon a Time where the First Doctor is afraid to regenerate because its a new and scary experience to him, and he doesn't know what kind of person he'll become.

I showed my media class the Mobius mind bending clip to demonstrate what Mary Whitehouse called "the sickest" thing ever broadcast on children's TV. They were baffled.

And also the Special Weapons Dalek clip, because that guy cracks me up.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 29, 2021

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018
I’m not to keen on the female doctor I think she tries to hard. My favourite episode tho was heaven sent. The idea of being in endless, perpetual danger, ground hog day of horror movies

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

BIgDevine posted:

I’m not to keen on the female doctor I think she tries to hard. My favourite episode tho was heaven sent. The idea of being in endless, perpetual danger, ground hog day of horror movies

It's more the opposite problem, Whittaker is trying hard, but the scripts aren't.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BIgDevine posted:

I’m not to keen on the female doctor I think she tries to hard.

You really couldn't think of a better way to put this? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

From context you can say that the other faces are Mobius's incarnations.

Yeah, it's been the most obvious handwave explanation for decades, and the show has gone out of its way multiple times including in the revival to hammer home again and again and again and again and again that the 1st Doctor was... well, the 1st Doctor! Chibnall provided a solution to what nobody but an incredibly tiny percentage of the most hardcore fans thought was a problem in the first place, and his solution was absolutely stupid (and oh yeah what the Master killed everybody on Gallifrey? And the Doctor... is just kinda bummed and then moves on? What the gently caress!?!).

Anyway, the Doctor is being told she is the Timeless Child by The Master - a constant liar - using a device called the Matrix that from its very first story was proven to NOT be infallible as claimed but capable of having records fabricated, and those records were being fabricated by.... The Master! :thunk:

OldMemes posted:

I showed my media class the Mobius mind bending clip to demonstrate what Mary Whitehouse called "the sickest" thing ever broadcast on children's TV. They were baffled.

From memory didn't it come out that Whitehouse actually often didn't even watch a lot of this stuff, but just decided they must be revolting and disgusting and bad for kids? Not that it probably would have stopped her from claiming the same anyway, probably.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 29, 2021