Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Klowner posted:

Lmao at his phrasing

closest mark will ever get to going 'oh my god please stop asking me this question every loving day'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

fadam posted:

80 bucks of Ragavan is worth more than 80 bucks of jank. LG is right, but I don't see anything overly egregious in the first few decks. It's worse on Arena where an all-star like Goldspan Dragon technically costs the same as like Sunstreak Phoenix or whatever so you're really punished for buying suboptimal cards for fun/janky decks.

EDIT: why the hell is Legion Loyalist a $7 card lmao

I don’t see any expensive bad cards either. Most entries in that list are relatively old though and prices have changed due to commander players probably.

In general it seems like a good idea to go for a budget deck in paper if you don’t know your local meta or if you don’t know if you enjoy playing the deck. You can absolutely lose every game at your LGS with a top tier deck if everybody is prepared for it.
But having a clear upgrade path for a budget deck is is important in my opinion. Many of the entries on that list don’t have that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Sleep better at night knowing that that Mark has basically no say on if the reserved list is ever abolished.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Sickening posted:

Sleep better at night knowing that that Mark has basically no say on if the reserved list is ever abolished.

whyt if you sold your poo poo right loving now and then they print 50cent duals?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

He wants it gone, which it should be

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

If they want to reprint reserved list cards they can just add an extra line of text to any of those cards. It's a bummer for those who want to play Vintage, but it's not like there's actual creative blockers from them reprinting em'. They could, tomorrow, print:

quote:

Badderlands, Mountain/Swamp:

T: Clap your hands.
T: Add R or B.

or

quote:

Gaea's Bosom, Legendary Land

Vigilance

T: Add G for each creature you control.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

quote:

Has any discussion taken place about simply creating strictly better versions of all the cards on the reserve list by giving them say a very minor upside thereby not being very functionally identical? I'm sure you can imagine a hundred ways so I won't list any, but the originals would still see use I'm sure in formats like Commander while solving the main issue for eternal formats. Has this ever been considered?

Maro posted:

I can’t get into details, but I don’t think you understand the core problem. Undermining the point of the Reserved List without technically getting rid of the Reserved List doesn’t solve the problem.

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/663607844317298688/has-any-discussion-taken-place-about-simply

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The World Inferno posted:

If they want to reprint reserved list cards they can just add an extra line of text to any of those cards. It's a bummer for those who want to play Vintage, but it's not like there's actual creative blockers from them reprinting em'. They could, tomorrow, print:

or

But the spirit of the reserved list!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Goon finds One Weird Trick to get around the reserved list. Collectors hate them!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Reprint all the reserves list cards but create a new keyword that says you have to be in your underwear to play them

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Who doesn't wear underwear?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

odiv posted:

Who doesn't wear underwear?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The more I read about the reserved list the more it seems that the problem isn’t legal liability so much as one extremely senior WOTC or Hasbro person who really likes that it exists

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
It adds exclusivity and FOMO to everything they do

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Reprint all the reserves list cards but create a new keyword that says you have to be in your underwear to play them

create a new version that says you have to have practiced basic hygiene to use them

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

If they start printing Reserve List cards (or functional reprints with slight tweaks) that opens to the door to the conversation of why can't WOTC just reprint enough of every expensive card to bring costs down and make the game more accessible to new players, or even just shift to direct sales and custom ordering through whatever subsidiary or partner.

I think that happens eventually, but they're not there yet. Including Tropical Island as a conjure effect in the digital only cards feels like a pretty significant trial balloon though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mat Cauthon posted:

If they start printing Reserve List cards (or functional reprints with slight tweaks) that opens to the door to the conversation of why can't WOTC just reprint enough of every expensive card to bring costs down and make the game more accessible to new players, or even just shift to direct sales and custom ordering through whatever subsidiary or partner.

I think that happens eventually, but they're not there yet. Including Tropical Island as a conjure effect in the digital only cards feels like a pretty significant trial balloon though.

Eh, they've had plenty of reserved list cards reprinted plenty on mtgo.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mat Cauthon posted:

These doors are not only open but has been pretty much nonstop discussed since forever ago.

& it does seem like they've actually done a good job with this as of late. My mental calendar slots it as to when we got the Damnation reprint as to when a very long dry spell for competitive cards finally started seeing reprints again.

Lone Goat posted:

Goon finds One Weird Trick to get around the reserved list. Collectors hate them!

The real 'one weird trick' is to just make proxies :clint:

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Mat Cauthon posted:

if you pull up a vintage decklist on mtggoldfish and switch the pricing source to modo, you'll see that like a ragavan costs 10x as much as a black lotus

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

The most interesting this is how Maro always says how he's not allowed to talk about it.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Tbf I wouldn't be surprised if Mark gets literal death threats every time it's brought up. Nerds can be really lovely.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

But if the reserve list got reprinted, then maybe some other people could play $1 million rock/paper/scissors, and we wouldn't be special anymore! Can you imagine what would happen if we didn't cater exclusively to the whims of early adopters, rather than players who weren't even born when some of these cards were printed?

In all seriousness, the game as presented below looks boring as hell, and I'm glad MTG evolved away from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96sukgjTZk4

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Klowner posted:

Lmao at his phrasing

People should stop bitching about the Reserved list. Legacy is a dead format anyway.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

mcmagic posted:

People should stop bitching about the Reserved list. Legacy is a dead format anyway.

Legacy tournaments can pull in as many people as modern though? At least where I live there have been a few 40+ player legacy tournaments. There was the pit open, and the big missouri tournament that just got cancelled. People want to play legacy

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mcmagic posted:

there's a bunch of modern set design a 1WW first strike flying 2/2 would fit just fine into, but they can't do it because of the reserved list

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

there's a bunch of modern set design a 1WW first strike flying 2/2 would fit just fine into, but they can't do it because of the reserved list

Give it vigilance too :getin:

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Arivia posted:

Isn't changing creature types enough to get around it there?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

mcmagic posted:

Legacy and Vintage are pretty dead, but there's this up and coming format that's pretty popular and still has RL cards legal in it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
If I were WotC I would simply ban the reserve list in Commander, the format they absolutely control, and not touch EDH, the format they have no influence over whatsoever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Thranguy posted:

doesn't look like it no https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=oracle%3Aflying+type%3Acreature+color%3DW+mana%3A%7BW%7D%7BW%7D+cmc%3D3

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Aranan posted:

Legacy and Vintage are pretty dead, but there's this up and coming format that's pretty popular and still has RL cards legal in it.

Despite Leperflesh getting hoodwinked into including it in the OP, Premodern is neither popular nor up and coming.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
legacy is the most fun constructed format to watch imo though I've never played it. also the content creators who play it (at least the ones who make content on YouTube) are better. also imho

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Thranguy posted:

Nah, even by the letter creature type alone isn't enough.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Legacy probably gets more play than pioneer right now.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

it seems like they've decided 1WW 2/2 w/ flying first strike is way too strong. so for 2WW you get those attributes w/ an added 0/+1.

IMO... they're not going to break RL anytime soon so it just seems pointless to talk about whether they should break it. my opinion is that even if it happens, they're not going to be flooding the market with reprints anyways.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

neaden posted:

Legacy probably gets more play than pioneer right now.

It'll be interesting to see if the pioneer precons next month make a blip or no. I'm guessing no, but it feels like a format that starts more recently than Modern really should emerge at some point.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The did just now print a strictly better* roc of kher ridges.

*technically 4 power and toughness can be a liability, I guess that's the excuse...

Sort of surprised that this is the first improvement on 3/3 flying for R3, honestly.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think part of the problem with Pioneer is just that it's a really stupid name.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
It was a failed reset of modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Magic has too many formats tbh