Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

it's not mind blowing. there's nothing about it where I can say oh new world does this and it's unique and awesome. im killing lots of humanoid pirates in different locations.

im cutting down trees and looking for iron and special herbs, going through a quest line where there's a mysterious corrupting force represented exactly as red-colored Corruption from probably thirty different video games (botw, gow, dragon age)

the combat is Pretty Good, reminiscent of Guild Wars 2 with the options you're given, but if they don't give me a serious hook soon im gonna be that guy yet again and quit an MMO before my friends do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Tainen posted:

This isn’t even going to be the worst mmo launch this year. That will most likely go to Endwalker where they have already released several producer letters preparing people for how messy the launch will be even though it is still two months away.

Even if Endwalker ended up having multi-hour queues and another Raubahn extreme, it'd still be a better launch than New World if they manage the low, low bar of the game not just randomly giving you an error and booting you to the back of said multi-hour queue.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Tainen posted:

This isn’t even going to be the worst mmo launch this year. That will most likely go to Endwalker where they have already released several producer letters preparing people for how messy the launch will be even though it is still two months away.

Stormblood was really bad (Raubahn EX, see above) but Shadowbringers was pretty smooth, so who knows

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Flip side, I've experienced only the smoothest MMO launch of all time with New World.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I am really surprised that there are more paying concurrent players on one region alone compared to the peak of the combined global free beta. It seems like there should have been more playing it for free.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

You’d think people would’ve learned by now that burning PTO for an MMO launch is always a bad idea but somehow every time people convince themselves it’ll be different this time. This is the launch that’ll be buttery smooth, for real, this is the one.

Technically the launch has been ultra smooth. The only issue is a bunch of servers with ultra long queue times. But it's not every server, people have a choice to pick other servers to play with real fast to no wait times. The game has been lag free and the servers haven't crashed though.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I said come in! posted:

But it's not every server, people have a choice to pick other servers to play with real fast to no wait times.

gently caress anyone that wants to play with a specific group of people

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

So I encountered bots in chat earlier today.

I wonder about the business plan to sell ingame currency when populations are hard capped by server. At most, they can only ever reach 1999 other "people". Seems like a bad model. What was really surprising was that there were multiple bots, for different sites.

I wonder how much of the queue madness is due to bots and people autorunning into a corner for 4+ hours at a time.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Flip side, I've experienced only the smoothest MMO launch of all time with New World.

Same here. I started a character on Tulgey Wood last night on just the name alone around 7pm eastern and was in a 20 person queue. Ran super smooth all night and had a great time. I’m level 10 now and really enjoying it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BadLlama posted:

gently caress anyone that wants to play with a specific group of people

That's hardly anyone else's problem though. Free server transfers are coming in the next two weeks if you want to adjust where you are.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
There are 300,000 people in a queue for the EU servers. I'm not even going to bother booting the game up.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

Some that I can think of right off the top of my head:
  • There's no shared item storage for your character that you can access from anywhere. If you put your items in storage at First Light, you can only access those items at First Light.

If your faction controls multiple territories, the storages become connected and accessible at any controlled settlement.

Internet Explorer posted:

Then you take the example on this page with the "need to skin unique boss bear for quest, 1 player at a time" That's a byproduct of them taking their "player-driven economy" approach ("can't let more than 1 person skin a thing, that'll break the economy") and trying to shove it into the WoW quest-generator.

Yup, it sucks to not be able to complete a side quest. But it's still a side quest. Do it another time.

Plus, the devs have sanded down some rough edges like these before.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Bardeh posted:

There are 300,000 people in a queue for the EU servers. I'm not even going to bother booting the game up.

I said come in! posted:

That's hardly anyone else's problem though. Free server transfers are coming in the next two weeks if you want to adjust where you are.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
First boss defeated ( the queue) joined the pantaloons party is starting now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

a launch so smooth I haven't even been able to play lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I saw you in-game yesterday! Come play right now, I just logged onto our server with no queue time.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

about two hours of this has been gameplay. the rest was me sitting in a queue only to get an error and sent to the back after multiple hours (twice)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I saw you in-game yesterday! Come play right now, I just logged onto our server with no queue time.

I tried playing at lunch and got to level 5. I can't do that most days. I work a regular job, so I can't play during the day. By the time I'm off work, the queues are absurd and I can't just sit around and wait with my limited videogame time.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Bardeh posted:

about two hours of this has been gameplay. the rest was me sitting in a queue only to get an error and sent to the back after multiple hours (twice)

so use this website https://newworldstatus.com/?sort=queue and scroll down to a world that has no wait (there are dozens like this) and play there until you can transfer for free to whatever server you want to be on later

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blacula posted:

so use this website https://newworldstatus.com/?sort=queue and scroll down to a world that has no wait (there are dozens like this) and play there until you can transfer for free to whatever server you want to be on later

I want to play an mmo with my friends/guild/community. That is not a solution.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Invite your friends/guild/community to that server with no queue :confused: yes this is a solution

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Casual reminder that the EU guild Wu Tang Company is accepting people. We're about 25 people, goons and friends, so far:

https://discord.gg/AJdUYwe9

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Yes, they did seemingly spool up some new servers already to help with congestion, those servers have short to no queues for anyone willing to start over. No, all of those servers combined don't even amount to enough capacity to serve all the people sitting in queue right now.

Also lol at "dude just NEET" as a proposed solution.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blacula posted:

Invite your friends/guild/community to that server with no queue :confused: yes this is a solution

You're right I'll just tell all of SFD to stop and make new chars on another server lol what a dumb suggestion

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
I totally see them pull something like "We said all available servers, but these over populated ones are not available servers for transfers".

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are you really gonna be grouping up a ton before like level 20 though? Just use Discord to chat with the guild (its a better chat client anyhow) and then server transfer when the popularity dies down. There are solutions available, you just don't seem to like them. Which is totally fine, but man, you really like posting about not liking those options.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
And for the record, the queues are absolute horse poo poo coming from a cloud infrastructure focused company and the game itself has plenty to bitch about, but there are plenty of solutions that let you play right now without worrying too much. Until they do what the poster above said and limit transfers because inevitably they will and lol then you will right, Clam Guy

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I mean, counterpoint, it seems weird that it’s just unthinkable to some that Amazon Game Studios, which has been a running joke in game development for years and has had at least a couple of high-profile flameouts, managed to cock up the hardest kind of game to design and launch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

Are you really gonna be grouping up a ton before like level 20 though? Just use Discord to chat with the guild (its a better chat client anyhow) and then server transfer when the popularity dies down. There are solutions available, you just don't seem to like them. Which is totally fine, but man, you really like posting about not liking those options.

Yeah I play MMOs with my friends and guild even at low levels. Sorry you don't. And I do not trust them to permit open transfers like they said, either. But hey if you want to actually trust Amazon when they've hosed up every other elementary design aspect of this game, then sure go ahead. This queue stuff is a solved problem. They just had to copy what other games do.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Keegers posted:

All of these decisions make sense if the game was still PvP only full loot open world.. like the entire game plays like it should be a sandbox PvP game, but they are now trying to make it a theme park MMORPG with non of the theme park features.

That's because they quickly found out no one actually wants a full loot PVP MMO save for a minority of players. It's also just a bad game in general and will be dead in a month or two.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah I play MMOs with my friends and guild even at low levels. Sorry you don't. And I do not trust them to permit open transfers like they said, either. But hey if you want to actually trust Amazon when they've hosed up every other elementary design aspect of this game, then sure go ahead. This queue stuff is a solved problem. They just had to copy what other games do.

TBH I don't think you're going to miss much by not playing this game. I mean the first month or two of fresh MMO shenanigans are always fun in their own way but long term I don't think this game is going to last.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
In other news that isn't people screaming at each other.. The prime gaming cosmetic pack 1 they mentioned is also up for grab now:

https://gaming.amazon.com/loot/newworld

You'll need to link your amazon account to steam though.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah I play MMOs with my friends and guild even at low levels

then this isn't the game for you right now lol. sorry about your $30 but it sounds like you have lots of other MMOs that do it right to play in the meantime. namaste

i think i've grouped up with a GIP member once for about 15 minutes. the rest of my time has been spent leveling in order to be useful to the company and become strong enough to get to brightwood. it's fun to jump and do 360s when you come across another UwU/GIP member in the leveling areas though

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am very amused by the fact the 'We talked to a bunch of native groups we swear this isn't a bad colonialism game' popup shows up every time you log into the game.

Also the concept that people might want to group up with their friends in a MMO is, like, half the point of a MMO? I don't understand why people are so smug when people complain that they can't? It's a multiplayer game, even if it was fully open world PvP and the like people would still want to play with their friends.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

That's because they quickly found out no one actually wants a full loot PVP MMO save for a minority of players. It's also just a bad game in general and will be dead in a month or two.

True, but the combat was better back then.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Why aren't they doing dedicated PvP worlds again? It makes no sense to me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“Hey if you want to play with your friends this mmo isn’t for you” lol

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Can we all just remember when the guild leadership had a plan to reserve 10 slots for their friends, hosed that up, and kicked like 10 people so their friends could get in? Lol. That was fun.

Anyway, enjoy camping bears or whatever.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Things I have learned after a day of owning New World.

1) Game rocks

Still haven't seen more than that though so it could actually suck, who knows, it's all so exciting.

2) They have banned the word 'queue' in the character naming options :v:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

euphronius posted:

“Hey if you want to play with your friends this mmo isn’t for you” lol

it literally isn't lmfao what do you want me to tell you? do you want us to pretend that everybody is getting into servers with all of their friends straight away with no problems at all? there are thousands of people sitting in queues trying to do the same exact thing. if you want to quickly and easily play with your friends, New World is not the place to do it right now. check back in a few days maybe, if you haven't processed your refund by then

plenty of goons seem to be able to understand this without making dozens of posts itt about it. idk why it's such a big deal. the game's servers are a hellscape and will be for the foreseeable future :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m not critiquing you in just laughing at the absurdity of such a statement and the absurdity of it even needing to be made