Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
There is nothing left to burn. No gas, no petrol, no timber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah ok if you're an eu

Nah you gotta laugh at how badly we did ourselves and now have to pretend this is fine or nothing to do with brexit or only temporary or whatever and not do a single moments reflection on actions and consequences

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah ok if you're an eu

Tbf Ireland's gonna get smashed pretty bad by Brexit as well but sorry it's funny and Britane delenda est

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm firmly in "if I stop laughing, I'd cry" territory.

We hosed ourselves by doing the stupidest loving option at every single juncture, of about 2 dozen junctures.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm firmly in "if I stop laughing, I'd cry" territory.

We hosed ourselves by doing the stupidest loving option at every single juncture, of about 2 dozen junctures.

Exactly, you just have to appreciate the craft

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I actually did the most sensible thing at every juncture and am mostly just annoyed that the people who didn't aren't suffering for it enough.

I would feel much better if they were having the full event horizon experience.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

This is still the Zeno's Brexit I was talking about years ago. They kept putting off the de jure Brexit, but that happened eventually. Now they're still getting fractionally closer to the worst de facto parts, namely "not trading with the EU easily anymore" and "Ireland does not work that way", and hoping that they never get there.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Spangly A posted:

When he did the "common ownership isn't nationalisation actually" thing the guardian were posting videos of him explicitly promising nationalisation. He's done and everyone knows it, it's just a matter of who and when

I liked that he said no to a £15 minimum wage and people immediately dragged up pictures of him backing the McStrike for £15 minimum wage, that was pretty funny.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tbf Ireland's gonna get smashed pretty bad by Brexit as well but sorry it's funny and Britane delenda est

Yeah, but Ireland has the EU to back it up. Ireland is getting funds to help with affected sectors, like fishing. The UK, is getting diddly squat.
Ireland is currently the fasting GROWING economy in the EU, as it managed its covid pandemic better than Plague Island. Covid is still bad there, but not at lol levels.
Shipping routes to Ireland are increasing, more freight is coming.
Ireland will do fine.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I actually did the most sensible thing at every juncture

But you keep making posts?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

"Britane delenda est", oh how i love that one.... even Boris could understand it! :allears:

happyhippy posted:

Yeah, but Ireland has the EU to back it up. Ireland is getting funds to help with affected sectors, like fishing. The UK, is getting diddly squat.
Ireland is currently the fasting GROWING economy in the EU, as it managed its covid pandemic better than Plague Island. Covid is still bad there, but not at lol levels.
Ireland will do fine.

And thankfully it even helps Northern Ireland as we can get stuff imported from/through Éire.

We're still shite at the Covid levels up here though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Ireland will do fine.

Ehh I'm not averse to the argument that Ireland will be a net beneficiary of Brexit in the medium term, but there'll be some rocky road between hither and yon. Still, I have my popcorn supplies to hand, and wishing for the best for the normal people of Britain trapped among the lunatics

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 29, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Starmering continues at pace

https://twitter.com/politicsofnv/status/1443300713317216261

Mebh
May 10, 2010

How capitalism is killing us. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKobG8bzZV0

Channel does not have anywhere near enough subs for how enjoyable the content is.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Failed Imagineer posted:

While I agree, Gott strafe England and all, Ireland is even funnier than just Brexit, which is merely hilarious. If we go into the DUP and how they both turbofucked NI and got turbofucked by the tories we'll be out of breath after a minute.

The UK Brexit negotiating position was that if Ireland cared about the GFA and the NI border so much it should exit the EU, and they thought the EU would throw a member under the bus to please the UK. I assure you, collectively, eyebrows across the EU impacted the ceiling when they fielded that argument.

The GFA is no laughing matter, it's hugely important. But the EU immediately identified it as a major, major issue early on, and since the USA is a guarantor of the agreement they, too, are invested in the state of that border. The UK (England, really) completely ignored this for years and was completely caught by surprise when the issue came up during trade negotiations with the USA.

I'm e-friends with some people on the island and their reaction to the way Brexit was conducted can not be described in words. Perhaps like:
But also with just utter incredulity.

Anyway, NI supermarkets are full and the petrol is flowing because of the NI protocol keeping it in the single market. lol. lmao.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

live laugh love

glad this queen is practicing self-care

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1443260340163203074?s=20

E: this was obviously posted to the wrong thread, my apologies

LGD fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 30, 2021

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

NotJustANumber99 posted:

There is nothing left to burn. No gas, no petrol, no timber.

I can't see any practical reason why we couldn't build gasifier engines to use the mountains of toilet rolls from last year's government-sponsored shortage as woodgas fuel. Tell me if I'm wrong.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

An absolute piece of poo poo. A wrecker and a scab and a pig and an op and everything else you can throw at the oval office

Deeply saddened we've made it out of conference without Streeting challenging Kieth

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

We have the best solution for police raping women - even more police.

This will surely not backfire in any way.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If everyone's a police, who will be left for them to attack?

Makes you think.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

im a bit torn on this as I think youre all being a bit tedious about police. Like it wasn't a policeman that raped and murdered her. It was a rapist and murderer that was a policeman.

But at the same time every time I've seen a police on the street I have not felt reassured that oh good I now feel safe, I've instantly felt like oh poo poo theres a person whose basically unaccountable and could do anything to me they wanted, keep your head down. And I'm a very privileged person in those respects so others will feel that much worse.

I dunno.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Starmer is really loving bad. It sucks he just has a reputation as being boring cause he's a genuinely evil prick just in such a banal way that even he doesn't notice

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

im a bit torn on this as I think youre all being a bit tedious about police. Like it wasn't a policeman that raped and murdered her. It was a rapist and murderer that was a policeman.

But at the same time every time I've seen a police on the street I have not felt reassured that oh good I now feel safe, I've instantly felt like oh poo poo theres a person whose basically unaccountable and could do anything to me they wanted, keep your head down. And I'm a very privileged person in those respects so others will feel that much worse.

I dunno.

Park life!

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dunno.

ACAB OP

I hope that helps

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It literally was a policeman who raped and murdered her. He was a police officer, he kidnapped her using his police powers, and there is evidence that he was able to destroy evidence due to his position as a policeman.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
He literally falsely arrested her lmao

But I'm sure him being a member of the polis had nothing to do with it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dunno.

Truly, the real victim here is the filth. How unfair for them to be held accountable for one of their own being a vile murderer.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Truly, the real victim here is the filth. How unfair for them to be held accountable for one of their own being a vile murderer.

yep thats definitely what I posted

LOL. screens a bit yellow

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
He's got a copper in his family

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dunno.

On one hand you've got a job which is a predicative factor for being a rapist, far right, or a domestic abuser, employers who promoted a man days after he did a sexual assault they knew was not his first, coworkers who called him a rapist in a collegiate and fraternal manner, and an organisation with decades of history in rewarding those who are good at covering up worse behaviour than a simple rape-murder

On the other hand, tedious posting

Hrm

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Please don't kill your woodlice, they don't spread disease or damage structures, they just like a nice cool damp place to chill

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

You really don't need to be an avowed Marxist to look at the met and hope a meteor hits scotland yard lol

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

He'd still have been an awful human being without being in the police, but the problem is that the police system either failed to pick up on this, or knew and didn't care. He was nicknamed 'The Rapist' because he made his female colleagues feel uncomfortable, and he'd been accused of indecent exposure at least twice. He still passed all the enhanced clearances necessary.

Don't forget that he wiped his phone data 39minutes before he was arrested, because someone tipped him off, which means even at that very late stage at least one of his colleagues was still protecting 'one of their own'.

Very few police commit rape and murder, but plenty turn a blind eye to worrying patterns of behaviour from their colleagues that they wouldn't ignore from a random person in the street. It's a systemic problem of dismissing certain behaviour as boys being boys, or just some whiny women who can't handle a bit of bantz, and then claiming that the police couldn't possibly have noticed the signs of escalation or recognised that someone they worked with was a threat to the public.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I feel like noone read the second half of my post because theyre more interested in a fight but yeah I agree with everything said.

Didn't know his colleagues called him rapist for fun.

I guess my point, such as it was, is that Ian tomlinson for example was murdered by the police. Whereas poor sarah was murdered by a man who was a policeman. And yes took advantage of being one. The police as an organisation aren't innocent in either situation.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I feel like noone read the second half of my post because theyre more interested in a fight but yeah I agree with everything said.

Didn't know his colleagues called him rapist for fun.

I guess my point, such as it was, is that Ian tomlinson for example was murdered by the police. Whereas poor sarah was murdered by a man who was a policeman. And yes took advantage of being one. The police as an organisation aren't innocent in either situation.

So what is your point mate because honestly I can't parse it. It wasn't a coincidence that the bastard was police.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'm not sure I have one. I literally posted how I was confused.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I read it and I'm not accusing you of downplaying or apologising or anything like that, and I get you're saying "I am someone they will view as the right sort and they still get my back up".

I don't think this event and the murderers job can be separated, I don't think they are actually separate. The met showed that they agree with that statement when they rioted at a vigil

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Anecdotal but an old mate who I used to play MMOs with for years and was a lanky alternative goth with long hair became a copper. Super chilled, fun, very lefty guy.

He spent a decade working in a childhood abuse unit and now works in cybercrime and he's turned into an absolute right wing oval office "everyone is a criminal, especially the poors" on Facebook. It's kinda insane.

I always used to take a mild pinch of salt at the threads ACAB leanings thinking, well at least some of them are probably alright.

Yeah, gently caress that. I'm naiive. ACAB all the way down. Even Vimes.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Spangly A posted:

I read it and I'm not accusing you of downplaying or apologising or anything like that, and I get you're saying "I am someone they will view as the right sort and they still get my back up".

I don't think this event and the murderers job can be separated, I don't think they are actually separate. The met showed that they agree with that statement when they rioted at a vigil

yeah cheers thinking about what you've said. I typed out a whole reply but it was garbage so deleted it. I don't think I'm capable of writing what I dont even know I'm talking about considering how horrible the topic is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I read it and just thought it was just kind of nonsense. First para "thread being anti-police is tedious", second para "although actually the police don't make me feel any safer and I'm aware of the incredible power they hold over me and I'm a white bloke". So the 2nd paragraph basically acknowledges we're right to be massively cynical about the filth but somehow pointing that out bores you?

Like, what value do you think there is in a semantic wankfest about "is he a murdering cop or a cop who murdered?" How is that less tedious than challenging the widely held belief that more police make us safer?

I suppose I should also accept that my posting style often comes off as more hostile than I intend because of an absence of tone etc but at this point I just mostly post how I talk and I'm too old to change.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 30, 2021