Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the idea that anyone could take these 4K switch pro articles seriously after the last 20 years of Nintendo hardware blows my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Digital Foundry isn't the Nintendo rumour peddling channel you think it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ja-31bYFTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coOzBPGl-O8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIn30jNpdZE

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Two of those videos are tech-focussed, like all of their videos, hypotheticals on what a Switch Pro could be, the other is standard videogame podcast fodder. Their content is mostly tech analyses, they don't do videogame news or rumour-mongering.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They didn't make the rumor, they're just saying how a future revision of the Switch would theoretically use a current technology.

It's hilarious how OLED hasn't even come out yet and the Pro rumors are resurfacing. Bloomberg gonna cry wolf though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Switch pro rumors predate the Switch

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

I fully believe the Switch Pro or whatever the hell it was to be called actually exists or at the very least existed. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the chip shortage is the entire reason we never got it and may never get it.

thats not how anything works

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Two of those videos are tech-focussed, like all of their videos, hypotheticals on what a Switch Pro could be, the other is standard videogame podcast fodder. Their content is mostly tech analyses, they don't do videogame news or rumour-mongering.

two hypotheticals based on nothing is as rumor mongering as u can get

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh good let's do this dance all over again

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also that article isn’t saying a switch pro is coming, just that they had a 4K kits and something happened.

They speculate one could come later but that doesn’t really have much to do with the meat of the article

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Alan_Shore posted:

Oh good let's do this dance all over again

The Direct just dropped so this is the natural progression. In a month or so, Nintendo will be doomed with nothing releasing per "news" articles.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Stux posted:

two hypotheticals based on nothing is as rumor mongering as u can get

The hypotheticals aren't "This might really come out!", they're "Can current tech actually work in a future portable machine?"

edit: Just to add to this, I think there's a clear difference between the Digital Foundry guys entertaining the idea of DLSS in whatever the next Nintendo portable is by doing real-world test on its feasibility and RGT, Blind Wave or whoever the gently caress incessantly peddling news about how the Pro is really coming out.

Long-Time Lurker fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 30, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chronojam posted:

The Direct just dropped so this is the natural progression. In a month or so, Nintendo will be doomed with nothing releasing per "news" articles.

There isn’t really a cycle getting mad at articles people don’t actually read is more content than actual switch games

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

shut da gently caress up!!!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I got a VR headset yesterday so naturally I'm replaying Virtual Boy games, and man I forgot how much Galactic Pinball owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC3GC4QHwzA

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I need to get a Switch for Metroid Dread, is this new one that's coming out the same day (OLED Switch, I guess?) the unambiguous best one and worth the extra money?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

For portable it's probably worth it, but if it's mostly going to sit in the dock there isn't much benefit to getting the OLED version

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Long-Time Lurker posted:

The hypotheticals aren't "This might really come out!", they're "Can current tech actually work in a future portable machine?"

edit: Just to add to this, I think there's a clear difference between the Digital Foundry guys entertaining the idea of DLSS in whatever the next Nintendo portable is by doing real-world test on its feasibility and RGT, Blind Wave or whoever the gently caress incessantly peddling news about how the Pro is really coming out.

if there were five clones of you tied to one track and hitler on the other i wouldbnt pull the lever

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Nintendo rumours are the worst because Nintendo are always simultaneously years ahead but rarely release anything until the hardware is cheap. The gamecube includes circuitry for a never released 3D screen add on and there exist prototype gamecube wii remotes. If the internet was like now back then we'd have had daily articles about the Gamecube Pro that was going to release any day now.

Like yeah nintendo probably are working on a switch with a 4k screen but we'll see it in 2025 and it'll be called the Nintendo eyeball or some poo poo.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mr Phillby posted:

Like yeah nintendo probably are working on a switch with a 4k screen but we'll see it in 2025 and it'll be called the Nintendo iiBal or some poo poo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Any goon opinions on This War of Mine?

The reviews are all over the place and it sounds interesting but I could see it being tedious Art also

It's on preposterous sale but even so I'm being cautious

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Augus posted:

other m was already at bargain bin prices a few months after it’s release, which is insane for a first-party Nintendo game. the game certainly underperformed but its sales numbers weren’t that terrible,
To be honest I don't think this is all that indicative of the quality of Other M as much as the (un)popularity of the Metroid series overall relative to Nintendo's other franchises.

A year earlier in 2009, I picked up my copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy for $20 when Best Buy clearanced it just months after release. Shelf space was very much at a premium during the height of the Wii, and if a game wasn't one of Nintendo's evergreen titles then retailers were greatly incentived to move them and make room for the next month's shovelware.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 30, 2021

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Stux posted:

if there were five clones of you tied to one track and hitler on the other i wouldbnt pull the lever

Harsh.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

MJeff posted:

the unambiguous best one and worth the extra money?
It is unambiguously the best one. Whether it's worth the money is dependent on if you'll actually play it handheld. But unless you know you're not, I'd hedge on it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

repiv posted:

new switch pro rumour dropped

https://twitter.com/6d6f636869/status/1443325367800893442

it's definitely happening this time!
this is the same writer behind all the other bloomberg switch pro stories. they keep casting their net and hoping a fish will get caught someday

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/NintendoCoLtd/status/1443366440183074819
https://twitter.com/NintendoCoLtd/status/1443366443374899205

gently caress u mike bloomberg!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nintendo rumors are never accurate.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It is unambiguously the best one. Whether it's worth the money is dependent on if you'll actually play it handheld. But unless you know you're not, I'd hedge on it.

I've never really thought about playing a console video game handheld, but I guess it'd be fun to play Metroid in bed. Are they both 32 GB?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

this is the same writer behind all the other bloomberg switch pro stories. they keep casting their net and hoping a fish will get caught someday

yeah theyve been saying it repeatedly basically since the switch launched lol

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

i decoded the secret message

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

repiv posted:

new switch pro rumour dropped

https://twitter.com/6d6f636869/status/1443325367800893442

it's definitely happening this time!

Surely this time he's going to be right

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Len posted:

Surely this time he's going to be right

scroll up

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
third fifth ninth eleventh time's a charm!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Stux posted:

scroll up

Nintendo is just playing 4d chess with us

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I said come in! posted:

Nintendo rumors are never accurate.

Hey, stopped clock and all that but we did get missingno right back in the 90s

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

They're going to announce Switch 2 in a couple years and these people will go TOLD YA!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean when they do announce the pro so many people are going to have to find something new to be mad at

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Bloomberg ain't poo poo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean when they do announce the pro so many people are going to have to find something new to be mad at

The pro+ rumors will immediately start so it'll just shift to that

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

releasing a plus model that coexists with the base model, 5 years after launch, rather than a straight-up Switch 2, would be a tremendously stupid move

so ppl would likely still be angry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

whys everyone get annoyed when i keep falling for the same stupid thing and then yelling about it in here