Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Godholio posted:

What meter did you use? I've been wondering about this lately but have no idea what to look for.

"Aeotec Home Energy Monitor" it's a Zwave power meter attached to my Home Assistant setup.

I eventually moved it into the main panel inside my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/27/22696482/ford-mustang-mach-e-glass-windshield-recall-roof

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Jesus, if they are doing a recall of all of them, that is not good.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
The JerryRigEverything Youtube channel reviews the R1T https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGqexebCcUo (not his own, a mfg test model).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

borkencode posted:

The JerryRigEverything Youtube channel reviews the R1T https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGqexebCcUo (not his own, a mfg test model).

and here I thought Rivian “weren’t giving press cars to YouTube channels”

Gotta be honest I’m getting p smitten with the R1T

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 28, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That's pretty cool. How armoured is the battery pack?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I saw that the whole Ford thing this week turned out to be a new factory for batteries and trucks I guess. Has there ever been any hints at any small or family-like EV coming from them (like the Bolt, Leaf, etc.)?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Other than the usual CEO statements about all-electric futures, no. No specific models have been announced. A lot of people assume that the Maverick will be electrified after Lightning preorders get filled.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

borkencode posted:

Well that is an unintentionally awesome review.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

PIZZA.BAT posted:

hey bird with a big dick i decided to search youtube for mach e gt reviews just now on a whim and i think the embargo must have ended because there's stuff there now

lol

Not really. It’s just Motorweek driving one sedately around a farm and some owner videos.

The real reviews aren’t due until sometime in October after Ford has a press day.

I really wonder what C&D and MT and similar are going to say about the ~101 mph traps. Is it going to be “The car is great otherwise so no big deal so what if it isn’t that fast at 70+” or is it going to be “What the gently caress this loving sucks I lost a roll race to an eco boost F-150.”

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

Yeah, I enjoy this too.

We're leaving on a road trip and being forced to take a break from driving once in a while is something I actually consider a feature now that I'm middle aged.

E: Attn Bird With Big Dick: we charged the battery to 100% and now we're going down the mountain, and there's nothing you can do about it hahahahahaha

Stop it

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Harveygod posted:

I saw that the whole Ford thing this week turned out to be a new factory for batteries and trucks I guess. Has there ever been any hints at any small or family-like EV coming from them (like the Bolt, Leaf, etc.)?

I wouldn't expect this for a while...traditional car sales have been on the decline for a long time. Ford and GM basically stopped building them for the US market, with only a couple of exceptions. I think we're only seeing the car-sized EVs until they get the bigger stuff ready, then Bolt-sized EVs will go the way of the Taurus/Fusion/Focus/Impala/Malibu/Cruze.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I feel like EVs are mainstream enough that if something like this 7.5k transferrable credit happens a ton of EVs are going to be sold

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Man if the Rivian hadn't gone with the touchscreen only thing, I'd be throwing one in my cart. Still such a neat truck though. Can't wait to see one driving around in public.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I feel like EVs are mainstream enough that if something like this 7.5k transferrable credit happens a ton of EVs are going to be sold

I was pretty much sold on the Bolt EUV until the Total Recall and would have bought one the next day if any iteration of the credit passed. If they can fix the batteries in time I still might. In the meantime I'm looking at similar cars. I really liked the size and price of the EUV. :sigh:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

borkencode posted:

So they dont give a loaner to one of the biggest review networks but they let a bunch of others do a fairly knarly day's offroad on trails that are a legitimate challenge? That makes not a lick of sense.

I mean sure the traditional outlets will do the standard useless road testing without actually throwing the Rivian at what it was built for but still it is bizarre.

(JerryRigEverything's review was pretty gushing but the really good bits are more what he didnt say but showed what the truck could do which is pretty impressive)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So they dont give a loaner to one of the biggest review networks but they let a bunch of others do a fairly knarly day's offroad on trails that are a legitimate challenge? That makes not a lick of sense.

I mean sure the traditional outlets will do the standard useless road testing without actually throwing the Rivian at what it was built for but still it is bizarre.

(JerryRigEverything's review was pretty gushing but the really good bits are more what he didnt say but showed what the truck could do which is pretty impressive)

If you want to read a not entirely fawning and generally honest sounding review there’s one up at Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-28/rivian-r1t-review-electric-ingenuity-but-don-t-depend-on-it-for-work

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ars Technica’s Jonathan Gitlin was on, I believe, the same trip and gave it a similarly glowing review, but yeah.

Not quite an EV, but TFL had a long interview with the overseeing engineer of Toyota’s global truck platform, including a big part about the Tundra’s (and presumably one day the Tacoma’s) new Hybrid system, but its hard to be that excited when you see what the R1T can apparently do.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If you want to read a not entirely fawning and generally honest sounding review there’s one up at Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-28/rivian-r1t-review-electric-ingenuity-but-don-t-depend-on-it-for-work

That seems pretty spot on, from someone not sold on the things the Rivian is offering. Odd they got a flat on a sharp rock too, the same rock maybe? I don't know poo poo about off-roading. Is that something that happens often? Or are those tires just kinda not up to the task? I have to wonder though about the premise (which is raised by a lot of pundits) that it's too expensive and nobody is going to be interested in a $70k truck like that because you can't put hay bales in it or some poo poo. Like have these people never been to Calgary? $70k is entry level in pickups these days. Work trucks are for fleet buyers and that's what the cheap electric F150 is for. This is for the dude-bro with a pile of money who's going to trade in his Tacoma that he's put $50k into in upgrades. There are A LOT of those people.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ok Comboomer posted:

Ars Technica’s Jonathan Gitlin was on, I believe, the same trip and gave it a similarly glowing review, but yeah.

You honestly just did more to destroy any thought the Rivian is good than the Bloomberg article could hope to manage

quote:

Odd they got a flat on a sharp rock too, the same rock maybe? I don't know poo poo about off-roading. Is that something that happens often? Or are those tires just kinda not up to the task?

Yeah it's a regular risk and something I've done with rally tyres too often - which have sidewalls reinforced with kevlar and tougher than most tyres. The tyre itself looked to be pretty decent for offroading so not really anything to say is out of the ordinary especially on the size of the rock they punctured on.

There was more than one person in the car as the JerryRigEverything guy so I'm guessing thats your Bloomberg person)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mustang gets a bad result in the Swedish moose test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PTOBc883zg

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You honestly just did more to destroy any thought the Rivian is good than the Bloomberg article could hope to manage

huh I didn’t know Gitlin was on people’s auto journalist poo poo-lists

not that “Cars Technica”, or whatever they were calling it for years, was really ever remotely competitive with any of the dedicated sites

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
More R1T reviews from the same press trip:

Snazzy Labs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS1HdnKG0YY
Tech Crunch https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/28/first-drive-rivian-delivers-the-electric-truck-weve-been-waiting-for/
AutoBlog https://www.autoblog.com/2021/09/28/2022-rivian-r1t-first-drive/
Car and Driver https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a37764475/2022-rivian-r1t-drive/
Business Insider https://www.businessinsider.com/rivian-r1t-ev-review-electric-pickup-off-roading-trail-driving-2021-9

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

I’m fond of the KBB video reviews, and they were on the trip too:

https://youtu.be/tpBMld6U9B0

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

That seems pretty spot on, from someone not sold on the things the Rivian is offering. Odd they got a flat on a sharp rock too, the same rock maybe? I don't know poo poo about off-roading. Is that something that happens often? Or are those tires just kinda not up to the task? I have to wonder though about the premise (which is raised by a lot of pundits) that it's too expensive and nobody is going to be interested in a $70k truck like that because you can't put hay bales in it or some poo poo. Like have these people never been to Calgary? $70k is entry level in pickups these days. Work trucks are for fleet buyers and that's what the cheap electric F150 is for. This is for the dude-bro with a pile of money who's going to trade in his Tacoma that he's put $50k into in upgrades. There are A LOT of those people.

I don't know, I don't consider myself a pundit but I've been to Calgary in the winter and see quite a few plows on pickups which is apparently not advisable on the R1T. I would also disagree that $70k USD is entry level but we could go back and forth for days about options. I guess if you want to offroad and camp, this is the premiere "adventure" vehicle, especially if you get the extras. Judging by Youtube these days there is a growing segment of buyers interested in it. I was only looking at this stuff out of curiosity for my step father who is in the market for a truck but he would need something more practical like the F150 Lightning you mentioned.

This seems more like the Model S of Rivian's line up and I'm sure they will introduce a fleet truck at some point when they can scale. I do really like all of the tech and don't mind the lack of buttons. The air compressor is a nice touch too.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Ola posted:

Mustang gets a bad result in the Swedish moose test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PTOBc883zg

Living up to the Mustang handling expectations I see.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't know, I don't consider myself a pundit but I've been to Calgary in the winter and see quite a few plows on pickups which is apparently not advisable on the R1T. I would also disagree that $70k USD is entry level but we could go back and forth for days about options. I guess if you want to offroad and camp, this is the premiere "adventure" vehicle, especially if you get the extras. Judging by Youtube these days there is a growing segment of buyers interested in it. I was only looking at this stuff out of curiosity for my step father who is in the market for a truck but he would need something more practical like the F150 Lightning you mentioned.

This seems more like the Model S of Rivian's line up and I'm sure they will introduce a fleet truck at some point when they can scale. I do really like all of the tech and don't mind the lack of buttons. The air compressor is a nice touch too.

I would argue that $60-70k is “entry level” for a pickup truck-as-family vehicle/commuter these days, vs something much more stripped down/utilitarian/full of plastic like a $30k work truck.

Like somebody who’s buying a pickup in lieu of an SUV/sedan/etc, something that their spouse will drive, and so forth isn’t looking at fleet trucks or “adventure build starting point” trucks, no matter what the comments section of Jalopnik might have you believe

VideoGameVet posted:

the MachE is the ultimate Mustang because the Mustang has always been a garbage car for posers

the most notable contemporary Mustang driver I can think of right at this moment is Sebastian Gorka

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 30, 2021

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I think there's a lot of interest from non-pickup people who've always been interested in them, but have been put off by the abysmal fuel economy and lack of things like secure storage. I think that's who they're appealing to, not so much grandpa who's going to drive his crew cab Ram 1500 until the rust gods consume it and still keep driving it anyway. Boomers might have all the money, but tailoring your only product to them ends you up like Harley where your customer base is dying off and new customers aren't interested in what you're selling.
Of all the whiz-bang tech in that truck, honestly the most appealing things for me are the gear tunnel and the looks. If I were in the market and could afford one, my primary reasons to get one would be to carry snowboards and snow gear, kayaks, hiking packs and camping gear, etc. Maybe tow a camping trailer. Could I do all that in a Subaru Forester with roof racks? Yes. Would I rather do it in a Rivian if I could afford it? Yes.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

I would argue that $60-70k is “entry level” for a pickup truck-as-family vehicle/commuter these days

Yeah, I could just be out of touch I guess. It still seems like a stretch though. You can get a new Tundra double crew with Apple Carplay and all sorts of other bells and whistles for less than 60k Canadian. A Ford F150 Supercrew XL with a bunch of options is around 50k. 70k USD being entry level seems a bit much. That's like "platinum" trims with everything possible thrown in.

We don't really have much of a baseline for EV trucks though and I'm not saying the pricing is unreasonable for the performance and features.

quote:

I think there's a lot of interest from non-pickup people who've always been interested in them, but have been put off by the abysmal fuel economy and lack of things like secure storage. I think that's who they're appealing to, not so much grandpa who's going to drive his crew cab Ram 1500 until the rust gods consume it and still keep driving it anyway. Boomers might have all the money, but tailoring your only product to them ends you up like Harley where your customer base is dying off and new customers aren't interested in what you're selling.

Hah, yeah fair enough I get what you mean :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah, I could just be out of touch I guess. It still seems like a stretch though. You can get a new Tundra double crew with Apple Carplay and all sorts of other bells and whistles for less than 60k Canadian.

with dealer markup?

Apple CarPlay isn’t the premium feature it used to be. If my Ford Fiesta were a 2016 or newer it would have it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

with dealer markup?

I'm not pricing in an unknown but even with dealer mark up you are not getting close to 70k USD.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider to be an entry level 70k USD truck like you mentioned above?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Bloomberg mentioned a cheaper version next year. It will be starting at $67k.

:what:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

VideoGameVet posted:

Somehow they managed to keep a live axle in it?? :haw:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Apologies for the long post :v:

This is Canadian dollars, granted. But it's not like the Rivian is way out of league on pricing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
God I see so many of those Rams around the burbs of Vancouver BC too. So many.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ok Comboomer posted:

huh I didn’t know Gitlin was on people’s auto journalist poo poo-lists
https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=39771

He has a history on the forums. I personally don't have any beef with the guy but it's not hard to see why some do.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

wolrah posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=39771

He has a history on the forums. I personally don't have any beef with the guy but it's not hard to see why some do.

What’s the deal with custom titles and bad words? Was he an IK? I’m on the Awful App so I can’t go digging around the site

That’s amazing tho. Everybody’s a goon. The people you don’t expect? Goon. I hope the Robin Williams rumor was true.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Zero One posted:

Bloomberg mentioned a cheaper version next year. It will be starting at $67k.

:what:

That's the Explore package. It's already on the configuration website for pre-orders. Basically just ditches some of the interior perks. No cooled seats, no wood accents, downgraded sound system, manual bed cover. It also says it loses "Gear Guard" and I'm not quite clear what that means, because they seem to talk about the locking cables and sentry-mode-style monitoring all in one breathe. Not sure if the downgrade just loses the locking cables, the camera for the bed, or that whole monitoring mode...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

What’s the deal with custom titles and bad words? Was he an IK? I’m on the Awful App so I can’t go digging around the site

That’s amazing tho. Everybody’s a goon. The people you don’t expect? Goon. I hope the Robin Williams rumor was true.

Even this guy, a goon

I thought Jonathan was fine and his published opinions have been correct so far, hopefully we didn't scare away the only person who actually drove the cars before making GBS threads on them in posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
For anyone using the Circle K 150kW/h tritium chargers. Are they generally unreliable or do we just have a pair of unreliable ones here in the south of Sweden? Often out of order and like today it worked for me, but I was getting 43kW @ 30-60% (should have started @ 100kW/h and then tapered down gradually to about 60kW/h). I mean they are free to use, so not complaining too much, but when they start charging money to charge they better fix the problems. Customer support is great though.