Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Or checking the antenna orientation. Stock comes with a directional antenna, it can be easy to forget which way to point it and if you need to move your head to keep it pointed towards the vehicle. Also ground reflection causing destructive interference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Thanks for explaining LQ.
I stayed away from it because I didn't know any better 😃

So what goggles should I get? Fatsharks just so I can get receiver modules ?!

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I got fancy new antennas and they're pointed the right way 😔

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

nvm

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Maybe I should .... Go digital ?!

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

TheReverend posted:

I got fancy new antennas and they're pointed the right way 😔
Are you sure they are the same polarisation on the goggles and the quad? RHCP to LHCP is a huge amount of attenuation.
Are you certain you are on correct channel? you can be off by a few MHz and still pick up a decent signal until you move away.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Deffo RHCP.

I'll compare the frequencies one more time just in case.

I think I have a copy of the analog video I can show too.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_bS9pZ6gOs

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I am trying to build a small drone that can use Qgroundcontrol so I can crash relatively cheaply while learning Qgroundcontrol.

I’m trying to solve for “what is the best ground station?”

I want to say I’ve read negative opinions about the herelink (https://www.amazon.ca/Herelink-Range-Transmission-Controller-System/dp/B07N36R6RL/ ) but I honestly don’t remember whether they were specific to that unit or all-in-ones in general. Something about being over engineered and poorly optimized.

I’m looking at either building something with discrete components or a Chinese all in one product similar to the herelink.
Discrete components:
Telemetry $40 https://store.mrobotics.io/product-p/mro-sikv2airgnd-mr.htm
Monitor $850 https://www.amazon.ca/TRIPLTEK-Brightness-Processor-Construction-Brightest/dp/B08P2SG2NL/
Controller $70 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32958181324.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.4edf3c00RV0zZo&mp=1

All-in-one
$ 980 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001652141042.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.2.3bdf4914JSEle2

The display brightnesses are comparable at 1200 nits for the tripltek and 1800 nits (according to the manual)for the skydroid. Price-wise the discrete components total $950.

Are there any cheap androids with big bright screens? I’m willing to pay the extra $30 for convenience but not like $500 extra if it turns out there’s a really cheap alternative I’m not aware of.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont know about cheap androids with bright screens, but I do know from experience that the Getac Tablets are really good as far as their ability to be outside and still be usable.

I mostly have experience with the Windows 10 versions like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/165051679141

But they make an Android version which as far as I know is basically the same unit, down to the Atom processor and stuff: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203592259059

I've worked with a ton of Getac stuff in the field and they have always been good. Not "cheap" though, because they're waterproof, dustproof, ruggedized, all that

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
You’re right about them not being cheap. Thank you though, it’s another thing to add to the pile of consideration.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Sorry about double posting but I found this listof phones and their brightnesses and I would like to ask you all if anyone has a strong opinion one way or another about the google nexus 7. The screen is brighter than the tablet I’m currently using and I can get one on eBay for like $50. And most importantly it’s an android so I can put tower on it and get telemetry that way (that’s how it works right?)

Google nexus 7. Is it poo poo?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DreadLlama posted:

Sorry about double posting but I found this listof phones and their brightnesses and I would like to ask you all if anyone has a strong opinion one way or another about the google nexus 7. The screen is brighter than the tablet I’m currently using and I can get one on eBay for like $50. And most importantly it’s an android so I can put tower on it and get telemetry that way (that’s how it works right?)

Google nexus 7. Is it poo poo?

I don't know about using it as a ground station for RC stuff, but I still use mine now and then. It's running a pretty old version of android and it's the 2013 version of the tablet (there's a 2012 version you should probably avoid). It was specced as a tablet in 2013 so it's got limited storage and ram, the cpu isn't the fastest, etc. The good thing is that the battery is easy to replace since you can just pry the back off and undo some flex cables. https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+7+2nd+Generation+Teardown/16072 I'm about to put my second battery into mine and I leave it plugged in all the time. It's fine for playing music and watching youtube, but I don't use mine that much anymore since I got a big phone and the Nexus 7 has huge screen bezels.

I use this moko case that can act like a stand and has magnets to make it sleep when you close it up, but I expect you'll want something more rugged if you're taking it outside:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CKA1IYU/

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I use a Surface Go 2 and it's decent outdoors. I got an armored case thing, which weight a ton, but it also makes it pretty stable.
I can't see it in direct sunlight, but you can always orient it so that it isn't.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A go 2 is windows 10 though, good option otherwise

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A go 2 is windows 10 though, good option otherwise

Well, you can run Qgroundcontrol, Mission Planner, etc...and it serves a reasonably functional laptop too.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Thank you again for the recommendations. I’d never heard of the surface go 2. I’ll add it to the pile of consideration.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Sorry about double posting again. But it seems rude not to thank you guys until I think of more questions. I swear I googled this but I can't find an answer.

What's involved in getting a flight controller to control a camera shutter? Does it only work with certain cameras? And when an image taken from a drone has gps data in the EXIF, is that because the camera has a gps in it, or because there's a way to get the flight controller to to take data from the GPS module and stick it in the camera somehow?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

Sorry about double posting again. But it seems rude not to thank you guys until I think of more questions. I swear I googled this but I can't find an answer.

What's involved in getting a flight controller to control a camera shutter? Does it only work with certain cameras? And when an image taken from a drone has gps data in the EXIF, is that because the camera has a gps in it, or because there's a way to get the flight controller to to take data from the GPS module and stick it in the camera somehow?

Depends on camera. It's either simple or a pain in the butt. Easiest option is to buy a dedicated mapping camera like a MAPIR.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

DreadLlama posted:

I think you're looking at completely custom solutions depending on what camera it is. There's a way to use a flight controller to control the shutter of a gopro if you disassemble the whole camera (to a "Naked GoPro") but any other camera is going to depend on what the camera is and if someone has posted how to do it. GPS location in the EXIF image is handled on the camera as well, since I don't know of any cameras that take a Mavlink telemetry feed directly.

There might be a tiny bit more detail in the Ardupilot docs, where they list a couple devices that geotag photos of a connected camera via usb:
https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-cameras-and-gimbals.html

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I've gone through the customs solutions before, mostly with Canon cameras, using custom firmwares, building custom triggers and hotshoes for feedback and yes, it can be done. It's a lot of trial and error and relies on post-processing the telemetry logs, which can be completely thrown off if the camera misses a trigger or 2 and then you have to start manually removing pictures or modifying the log and it's just a lot of hassle.
Mapirs come with their own little GPS, tags the geolocation in the metadata on the photo, which any of the photogrammetry software can read and basically makes it hassle free.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I always knew I wanted a MAPIR, I just didn't know what would be the final impetus to buy it.

edit: Order of operations questions. If money was tight would you start by building the drone and getting it flying under Qgroundcontrol, or start with the camera and first worry about getting it to talk to the flight controller?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 7, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Drone first

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Thank you for the information. I now have a JMT 630 kit on the way from China.

In the meantime, speaking of photogrammetry software, what's the best one that doesn't require uploading gigs of image files to a cloud for processing? I've got a mavic 2 and it geotags images. But in spite of that I can't get things to work properly. See:

Big chunks of the composites are missing. I don't get it, because the images are geotagged, but the software I've tried to use (so far Microsoft ICE, autostitch, Hugin, Agisoft metashape) complain that they can't find matching points to line up. I yell at my computer, "They're geotagged!" but it doesn't listen.

If I was going to double down and really teach myself to use one of these programs(or a different one I haven't listed [because what do I know]), which would you recommend?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Real longshot here. Has anyone ever connected a P4 RTK to a custom NTRIP network because mine just does nothing when I hit connect.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

Thank you for the information. I now have a JMT 630 kit on the way from China.

In the meantime, speaking of photogrammetry software, what's the best one that doesn't require uploading gigs of image files to a cloud for processing? I've got a mavic 2 and it geotags images. But in spite of that I can't get things to work properly. See:

Big chunks of the composites are missing. I don't get it, because the images are geotagged, but the software I've tried to use (so far Microsoft ICE, autostitch, Hugin, Agisoft metashape) complain that they can't find matching points to line up. I yell at my computer, "They're geotagged!" but it doesn't listen.

If I was going to double down and really teach myself to use one of these programs(or a different one I haven't listed [because what do I know]), which would you recommend?

I had good luck with Pix4D, dronedeploy & Agisoft . In Pix4D and Agisoft you should be able to see which pictures it can't handle and troubleshoot from there.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
Purpled up my 5" (also freshly greased with Nyogel pg-44A)

And finished building a 3S TP3

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Purple is loving sick!

Hey so... I ran into some FPV guys and they were showing me they had this 10000mah lipo.

I thought those would be for like.....cinelifters or something. But they use it as a field charger. Which seems so obvious and it blew my mind.

My charger takes xt60 as input, what's the rules for this.

Do I have to monitor the voltages the same ?

Make sure it doesn't dip below 3.6v per cell? I wonder if my charger monitors this or not.

Hobbymate d6 duo pro

TheReverend fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 12, 2021

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I don't know about your charger and what not. The "3.6v" isn't really a hard rule, and likely is what people use as a buffer so sudden demand for current doesn't drop it into the danger/damage zone. The main concern would be current draw. At a low C value you could safely discharge lower than 3.6v

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

TheReverend posted:

Purple is loving sick!

Hey so... I ran into some FPV guys and they were showing me they had this 10000mah lipo.

I thought those would be for like.....cinelifters or something. But they use it as a field charger. Which seems so obvious and it blew my mind.

My charger takes xt60 as input, what's the rules for this.

Do I have to monitor the voltages the same ?

Make sure it doesn't dip below 3.6v per cell? I wonder if my charger monitors this or not.

Hobbymate d6 duo pro

I do this all the time. Use a 3S-6S battery as big as you can afford. Make one out of 18650’s if you want to go hog wild. Set the low input voltage alarm in your charger to 21.5 volts if you can, if not get one of these and plug it into the balance plug of your source battery:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FF16XFQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_DBEDDMA3JY4VXT3F5TZG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It will scream at you when the voltage gets too low.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
any suggestions on a bag for transporting my drone? needs to hold a transmitter/headset/5"drone plus space for batteries and the like. throwing all this stuff loose in my regular backpack cant be good for it.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I use a Lowepro Droneguard BP 250 and it's pretty great, albeit a bit small. The drone(s) are velcro'd to the outside MOLLE straps, so they are exposed and not protected. There's a BP 400 version which is bigger if you like the features

Adorama and B&H frequently have sales on these bags for 50% or more off MSRP.. maybe set up an alert on Slickdeals if you like the style

CloFan posted:

fatsharks in the top, props/batts/rc in main and drone strapped to it when they aren't all borked

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
Starting to see a steady flow of Mavic 3 rumors.

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1441229595080941572?s=20

https://twitter.com/JasperEllens/status/1441091686654906370?s=20

-Nov. 15 release
-dual cameras: main 24mm f/2.8-f/11 micro 4/3 20 megapixel, secondary telephoto 160mm 1/2 inch sensor 12 megapixel
-46 minute flight time
-5.2k video
-15 km transmission range
-ships with a new version of the smart controller

-1600 USD for the base model
-a pricier cine version will come with an internal ssd

Assuming this all pans out I’ll almost certainly be picking one of these up unless there’s some terribly restrictive poo poo built into it or major unforeseen flaws. The M4/3 sensor alone has me pretty excited for this.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That's one bad mofo.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Yeah that's a hell of an upgrade from the 2, very tempting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That is a LOT of camera holy poo poo

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Speaking of cameras, I want to take pictures of the ground but there are trees in the way. Are there frequencies of light good for looking through a forest canopy?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
In articles I'm seeing "infrared", but it may beneed additional processing of infrared scans.

E: this is the kind of result https://techcrunch.com/2020/06/05/lidar-helps-uncover-an-ancient-kilometer-long-mayan-structure/

vvv: yeah it is lidar, but if that frequency of infrared works for lidar, you might be able to get something out of a camera that can capture it. other than that, getting a nice detailed photograph through obstructing leaves and such is probably pure magic.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 4, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That's a laser. You'll need Industry Canada permissions to use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Actually, according to the RPAS section of the Aeronautical Information Manual:

[url posted:

https://tc.canada.ca/sites/default/files/2021-09/AIM-2021-2_RPA-E.pdf[/url]]Payloads
Laser-based systems, including LIDAR, are becoming
increasingly popular payloads on RPASs for a number of
operations. Class 1 lasers, as designated by Health Canada, are
considered to be incapable of causing harm and will not create
a hazard to manned aircraft provided that they are operated as
per the manufacturer’s specification. If the laser equipment that
the operator intends to use is classified as Class 1 or Class 1M,
has an average output power of less than 1 mW, and utilizes a
non-visible beam, no further assessment or notification is
required. The operator is still responsible for safe operation
within the bounds of the manufacturer’s specifications and
operating instructions.

Lasers which have an output power of less than 1mW and non-visible beams do not appear to require further assessment or notification.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 12, 2021