Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Takuan posted:

The worst part about watching sumo is the day after a basho ends and you have to get used to a world without watching sumo every day again.

I've been downloading sumo tournaments in hopes that in about five years I can start to re-watch some old basho and will have forgotten any of the big stuff that happened.

"This Hakuho guy looks like he's an up and comer."
- me, in the year 2034

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Takuan posted:

The worst part about watching sumo is the day after a basho ends and you have to get used to a world without watching sumo every day again.

Feels like a period of mourning for a couple of days.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The days after sumo is when I have ended up buying or receiving a significant amount of my sumo memorabilia.

I have a Shodai magnet and more trading cards coming later this week.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Shiroc posted:

The days after sumo is when I have ended up buying or receiving a significant amount of my sumo memorabilia.

I have a Shodai magnet and more trading cards coming later this week.

A magnet of Shodai or a magnet that attracts Shodai, because the latter could really help Shodai if you use it right.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Terunofuji spending 2021 only getting yusho and jun-yusho is some real badass poo poo. He’s been delivering yokozuna sumo well before getting the rope and the only enemy to his dominance is his own health. I didn’t notice much wincing the last couple of tournaments so I hope his knees are feeling great.

I did notice him wince coming down from the dohyo at the ending ceremony so I think it's still an issue

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpEszMbZlNs

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hakuho the extremely lanky boy is vaguely upsetting but then he henkas and you know its the same person.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I look forward to Hakuho continuing to infuriate those old bastards

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

We absolutely need a sumo version of Space Jam.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

thanks again, and congratulations to the winners

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
15 years and 10 months since I watched bits of Kyushu 2005 on TV trying to figure out what this sumo thing was about, and finally they're all gone:

Really feels like the end of an era.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Apraxin posted:

15 years and 10 months since I watched bits of Kyushu 2005 on TV trying to figure out what this sumo thing was about, and finally they're all gone:

At M11w, there’s Kotonowaka! Not the Kotonowaka that just fought. That’s his old man in his last tournament. If not for COVID and appendicitis, this would have been the basho for Hak to take on both father and son :(

Which just made me realize that the current Kotonowaka has a set retirement deadline of the March 2033 tournament. His dad retired to take over the stable when grandpa reached retirement age so when dad hits 65, he’s probably going to have to retire to take over the stable. He’ll be 35 at the time so it’s not like his career will be tragically short, but he could still be competitive.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Apraxin posted:

Two Yokozuna at M5 is funny

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I will be able to tag someone tomorrow if they need it. Waiting on the internet people to show up

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Apraxin posted:

About 2/3 of them are now the grumpy old men that run sumo. I think only a couple of the Japanese rikishi there aren't oyakata now.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The 'remember some guys' aspect of that banzuke led me to look up Takekaze and find his wonderful Wikipedia picture

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shiroc posted:

Think of yourself as fantasy Tokushoryu.

Proposing a Fantasy-Tokushoryu award for someone who won Fantasy but finds themselves yeeted out of Fantasy-Makuuchi.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Was having a look at Asanoyama's record and didn't realise he only spent six tournaments outside of the sekitori ranks. He has actually spent more time at Ozeki then he has below Juryo. Here's his first ever bout in Juryo back in March 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9UCu8iXXRA

Just over two years later he'd be picking up the Donald Cup. I'm looking forward to his return.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Communist Thoughts posted:

I did notice him wince coming down from the dohyo at the ending ceremony so I think it's still an issue

He winced at the yokozuna announcement conference too, when he was getting on his knees alongside Asahifuji. It's a long term problem and it probably isn't going away ever.

He is diabetic also. But seems to have a good handle on it.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Bye Hakuho. Have a great retirement

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bessantj posted:

Was having a look at Asanoyama's record and didn't realise he only spent six tournaments outside of the sekitori ranks. He has actually spent more time at Ozeki then he has below Juryo. Here's his first ever bout in Juryo back in March 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9UCu8iXXRA

Just over two years later he'd be picking up the Donald Cup. I'm looking forward to his return.

It’s interesting to look at guys who came up through University and got a Makushita/Sadaname TD starts for amateur wins. Like Ichinojo made it to juryo in 2 in had his first makuuchi jun-yusho in less than a year.

But comparing Asanoyama to someone like Takanosho, who is 6 months younger is interesting. Asanoyama is a tier or two above Takanosho as a wrestler so you expect better results from him but the numbers are pretty close until you get to the top levels. Takanosho, who started at 16 has 68 career basho compared to Asanoyama’s 33, but for sekitori tourneys, it’s a lot closer as Asa has 27 and Taka has 23 so despite the huge difference tourneys, they both made Juryo at basically the same age. At that point, Takanosho started to stall out being stuck in Juryo for 10 tourneys compared to just 3 for Asanoyama.

And if you compare him to the other Ozeki/Yokozuna, he doesn’t look that special if you look at age rather than tourneys. Asanoyama made Ozeki at 26. At the same age Teru was already a former Ozeki starting his drop, Takakeisho doesn’t turn 26 until next August and already has 13 Ozeki basho under his belt, and Hak had already won 18!!! Yusho. On the other hand, Shodai made Ozeki at 28, Takayasu at 27 and Tochinoshin at 30.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/takasagobeya_8/status/1443116949177716738

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

There are articles (and even an opinion piece) about Hakuho's retirement in the New York Times and the Washington Post. Good to see a little more mainstream recognition.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Thanks for the tag Fluffdaddy!

Now I'm under some pressure to lurk less and bask more in my fleeting glory before my fantasy sumo techniques inevitably fail me like a pair of overtaxed Georgian knees.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I had a dream where I was at an event celebrating Hakuho's career and recognizing his retirement. I was worrying over what gift I should give him that would be worthy of the greatest Yokozuna of all.

He spoke fluent English in this dream, which was certainly a relief to me.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

There are articles (and even an opinion piece) about Hakuho's retirement in the New York Times and the Washington Post. Good to see a little more mainstream recognition.

There was actually an NPR article on it as well. Unexpected but nice to see.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Shiroc posted:

I had a dream where I was at an event celebrating Hakuho's career and recognizing his retirement. I was worrying over what gift I should give him that would be worthy of the greatest Yokozuna of all.

lol. brains are weird.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Shiroc posted:

So what color was the macaron you got him?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Banana Canada posted:

Thanks for the tag Fluffdaddy!

Now I'm under some pressure to lurk less and bask more in my fleeting glory before my fantasy sumo techniques inevitably fail me like a pair of overtaxed Georgian knees.

It wasn't me! Probably Brut or another PSP mod.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Teddybear posted:

So what color was the macaron you got him?

I think I was going to paint him calligraphy that said 'Dai-Yokozuna' in spite of having no idea how to write that in Japanese but that was when the dream was breaking down and I was losing the thread of it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

It wasn't me! Probably Brut or another PSP mod.

:iiam:

I want the next basho already, show me sekitori hokuseiho!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

yo can my knoishiki get goonzeki gang back

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Brut posted:

I want the next basho already, show me a healthy Enho: the heyagashira of Miyagino stable.*

I still stand by the fact he looked legit good in intrastable practice.

*For at least one tournament, go Hokuseiho

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My new sumo cards arrived today. Its a set of all retired rikishi called "Legend" Heroes. I got an autograph from some guy

e: Looking him up, not a particularly accomplished rikishi but he did make Komusubi and

Wikipedia posted:

He received treatment for gout and a side-effect of the therapeutic agent was hair loss. This meant that the tokoyama or hairdressers had difficulty in producing the elaborate ginkgo leaf style oichomage or topknot that professional sumo wrestlers are required to wear on the dohyō.

He's a coach at Sadogatake-beya, where many of our favorite Kotos come from.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 30, 2021

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Mongolian Colossus has acquired Japanese citizenship

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2021/09/417e30ad579c-sumo-mongolian-born-komusubi-ichinojo-takes-japanese-citizenship.html

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

yo can my knoishiki get goonzeki gang back

yes

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

arigato

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Ditto

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Such a sad day :( Wishing the greatest yokozuna a happy retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
3 zensho yusho, 2 other yusho and a runner up in the last 4 years even when he was in obvious decline. Absolutely amazing.