Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vintersorg posted:

There was that article recently about them being hesitant cause mennonities were persecuted. My loving wife is menno, her entire family obviously is too and the direct family are all vaxxed! It’s such BS.

E: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-covid-19-stanley-winkler-morden-southern-health-wfpcbc-cbc-1.6192673

I quite agree. Didn't the Navajo Nation in the US hit 100% vaccination or as close as possible to it? If anyone has a reason to be nervous of white people bullshit, it's literally any Indigenous group ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah, all the Mennonites I know and are part of my extended family are vaccinated. It's just dumbfuck religious fundamentalists in the south who think they know better than anyone else.

They edited that article to confirm that the RM of Stanley has the worst vaccination rates in the country, and they're so god drat proud of it.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

There was that article recently about them being hesitant cause mennonities were persecuted. My loving wife is menno, her entire family obviously is too and the direct family are all vaxxed! It’s such BS.

E: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-covid-19-stanley-winkler-morden-southern-health-wfpcbc-cbc-1.6192673

Yeah my sister-in-law is a Mennonite pastor and she is adamant about people getting their vaccines. Especially since she has a 2 year-old who isn't allowed to get the shot yet. Every major religion is built around the idea of supporting and protecting your family and neighbors, because that's how you maintain a functioning village. This "but what about MY discomfort" hyper-individualistic mindset that managed to take such strong roots needed to come out in the open so it could be squashed one way or another. Absolute freedom by definition would be anarchy, we have to have limits to make this thing we call society.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Ah yes, the moment when people realize mixing religion, public health and politics is not a good idea!

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

half cocaine posted:

Ah yes, the moment when people realize mixing religion, public health and politics is not a good idea!

As long as religion exists it will always have a role in politics. At the practical level, it's where a group of people draw their morals and direction from, and that will always be expressed by the individual with their voting choices, and with groups as voting blocks to be appealed to by people that think they can get their support.

But as a person that's followed a faith all his life, I say it's best to leave physics to the physicists, and metaphysics to those interested in studying those. These 2 have built into their definition the fact that they are separate, it's never worked well for either side when people tried to blend them.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Really? Is it really about ethics? Or is it just about power?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/15/opinion/abortion-evangelicals-conservatives.html

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

I did mention that some people use religion to grab voting blocks. Whatever their true motives for doing that are is moot for practical purposes, since politicians are notoriously good at not caring about hypocrisy.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Orthanc6 posted:

As long as religion exists it will always have a role in politics. At the practical level, it's where a group of people draw their morals and direction from, and that will always be expressed by the individual with their voting choices, and with groups as voting blocks to be appealed to by people that think they can get their support.

But as a person that's followed a faith all his life, I say it's best to leave physics to the physicists, and metaphysics to those interested in studying those. These 2 have built into their definition the fact that they are separate, it's never worked well for either side when people tried to blend them.

I found with my faith that it really boils down to having basic respect for your fellow human being (I'm a rare breed). It gets difficult when you are faced with hostility just for the simple fact you are Christian and willing to just have a conversation.

For the record, I'm pro-LGBT and believe VERY strongly in "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Mention that and get ready for "oh...so being gay is a SIN?!" not that I disagree with what society felt growing up.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
https://twitter.com/AHS_media/status/1443292077509332995

"Physicians and staff in some of our Edmonton Zone ICUs are receiving harassing phone calls to their units from people questioning patient numbers and capacity. "

gently caress this garbage province and its garbage people.

E: they don't have time to answer, really, because they're busy doing this: https://twitter.com/NeejaB/status/1443432026506338306?s=20

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 30, 2021

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Albino Squirrel posted:

https://twitter.com/AHS_media/status/1443292077509332995

"Physicians and staff in some of our Edmonton Zone ICUs are receiving harassing phone calls to their units from people questioning patient numbers and capacity. "

gently caress this garbage province and its garbage people.

This is such an invitation for ICU nurses to vent their frustrations and tell Kevin J Johnston fans that "I'll see you soon". I don't get why they are declining the opportunity.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Everything we love and cherish and enjoy is built on the bones of children and the suffering of generations. Canada is a bad country.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Orthanc6 posted:

It's a religion but not like, Christianity. We are seeing bleedover from the states, this is all just a Canadian version of the whole urban/east coast vs. rural/mid and south west split that dominates US politics and is having exactly the same effect on opinions on vaccines. That split itself is a repackaged version of the Union vs. Confederate split in the American civic cult, i.e. the way the citizenry understand, perceive and demonstrate being 'American'. This has very little to do with actual Christian theology and almost everything to do with a set of cultural identities defined by the absolute rejection of the other.

There's a whole bunch of political and economic splits that get sublimated into this divide but the core is these people that refuse vaccines fundamentally believe the current Canadian federal government is illegitimate and immoral, and so perceive any act or request by it that way. It's not a position you can negotiate with; they reject the very premise that, for lack of a better term, 'our' side can tell the truth or deal in good faith.

Liberal centrism requires trying to thread the needle between all sides and try to bring people from the far camps in but that fundamentally will not work this time and that's the trip up. The solution would require the federal government coming down, declaring an emergency and forcing lockdowns and vaccine requirements, with some level of enforcement. It wouldn't be popular with a bunch of people but it would receive majority support nationally I'd imagine and would only alienate this faction, which despises anything left of the Tories anyway. People would scream about over reach but there are times when delegation of power and authority to more local bodies impedes solutions. People will say it wouldn't be constitutional but I guarantee this is the kind of moment that would let a leader basically override any kind of stop like that and we would adapt our understanding afterward, constitution is just a piece of paper at the end of the day and unprecedented times are exactly when systems either adapt or crumble.

I very much doubt the liberals would do so though, because that requires staking out lines for a clear confrontation and they avoid those at all costs. But that's just a losing fight in the long run.

e: to specific current federal government

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 30, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
You're not wrong, but man oh man would there be some strong resistance to another Trudeau invoking the war measures / emergencies act.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

enki42 posted:

You're not wrong, but man oh man would there be some strong resistance to another Trudeau invoking the war measures / emergencies act.

oh it would be an absolute nightmare for sure but if he stayed the course he would come out favorably I think, if he didn't then gently caress up dealing with the pandemic. The Trudeau name would become an invective in parts of the country more so than ever before but it would also get him some measure of support for not backing down and fixing things.

But I genuinely don't think he has the desire and will to engage in that kind of fight. He will avoid it. Which is gonna mean bad things keep going for a while, and I dunno how that shakes out long-term for the federal gov, will they be able to lay this all on Kenney? Maybe.

Regional split just gonna get deeper over this though.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

This Trudeau is pathetic. Needs more "Just watch me." energy.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

If the feds didn't intervene in Ontario when The Coward Douglas Ford bumbled into the 3rd wave and 4k cases a day, they won't intervene outside of token assistance to the Blasted Lands because the atonal shrieking of The Bastard Jason Kenney would blow out eardrums from 3 provinces away.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

If the feds didn't intervene in Ontario when The Coward Douglas Ford bumbled into the 3rd wave and 4k cases a day, they won't intervene outside of token assistance to the Blasted Lands because the atonal shrieking of The Bastard Jason Kenney would blow out eardrums from 3 provinces away.

yeah, they are gonna stay the course and let the blame fall on Provincial leadership. Which is probably an okay political move but seriously sucks for Alberta. :smith:

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
81%+ of Ontarians 12+ are fully vaxxed

86%+ has at least 1 dose

That's encouraging at least, we aren't stuck in the high 50s/low 60s like the US appear to be

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

McGavin posted:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

McGavin posted:

I’ve seen Albertans saying this, if you want to know just how upset this province is at the moment.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Covid is a great test of political leadership. It's a recurring problem, so you can't just claim coincidence or bad luck. It likely arrived within the current term, so you can't credibly blame the previous government. It's fast enough that you can't leave it for the next government to clean up. And it's evenly spread around the world, so there's a whole planet of comparisons to your dumb rear end.

There really is nowhere to hide.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's what makes it so "great" - covid got so bad in Manitoba that we bullied Pallister down.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

That's what makes it so "great" - covid got so bad in Manitoba that we bullied Pallister down.

Yeah he totally hosed it with Covid but the straw that broke the camel's back was actually when Indigenous protestors pulled down a statue of a dead white lady and at the next press conference that had nothing to do with that whatsoever he couldn't resist going off script and talking about it while sounding like a racist from the 1950s. That's the part that's equally funny and depressing. I'm not convinced he would have gone down if that press conference hadn't happened.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why exactly does Jason Kenney think the half assed Johnson & Johnson vaccine will save Alberta? This was in the press release yesterday that he wants Trudeau to send 20,000 J&J shots to the province.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yes, 20,000 doses of a vaccine that nobody's going to take.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Why exactly does Jason Kenney think the half assed Johnson & Johnson vaccine will save Alberta? This was in the press release yesterday that he wants Trudeau to send 20,000 J&J shots to the province.

Maybe if we can load the up into dart guns.....

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

McGavin posted:

Yes, 20,000 doses of a vaccine that nobody's going to take.

I work with someone who is still not vaxed but say they would take the J&J because it is not mRNA. I can argue stats, side effects, and effectiveness all day but they have it in their head that mRNA can't be trusted.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DrBox posted:

I work with someone who is still not vaxed but say they would take the J&J because it is not mRNA. I can argue stats, side effects, and effectiveness all day but they have it in their head that mRNA can't be trusted.

I'm not antivax, I've just done my research and have my heart set on the worst one

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

DrBox posted:

Isn't AZ still around? I'm sure they could get that one if they asked, It's also not mRNA

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

It's extra disingenuous because Canada still hasn't received any J&J deliveries and Kenney would know that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

DrBox posted:

My wife's friend married an idiot ex-Yank who still isn't vaccinated and is waiting for the J&J. He is also wanting to move back to the states to a place that still "respects freedom". You know, places like Texas or Florida.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Madkal posted:

My wife's friend married an idiot ex-Yank who still isn't vaccinated and is waiting for the J&J. He is also wanting to move back to the states to a place that still "respects freedom". You know, places like Texas or Florida.

Yeah apparently this isn't that uncommon among the still unvaxxed.

Whether they will actually get vaxxed if J&J is made available or just come-up with a new problem (I'm imagining something about poor manufacturing quality) is to be seen.

https://twitter.com/akurjata/status/1443321474882834432?s=19

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

DrBox posted:

Goosed it. posted:

Yeah apparently this isn't that uncommon among the still unvaxxed.

Whether they will actually get vaxxed if J&J is made available or just come-up with a new problem (I'm imagining something about poor manufacturing quality) is to be seen.

https://twitter.com/akurjata/status/1443321474882834432?s=19

Jesus Christ that's almost worse than just being antivax

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I'm not antivax, I've just done my research and have my heart set on the worst one

It is apparently pretty good after a booster, according to J&J's trial. Although I wonder how many people with undoubtedly well-informed concerns about mRNA would take that second shot if it's approved.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Why don't they take the Az instead, it works the same as the j+j and there is a ton knocking around still

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I know a guy who was considering flying to the US to get J&J because and I quote "Joe Rogan says it's the safest one".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I feel like if you're taking medical advice from Joe "God's perfect idiot" Rogan, sooner or later you're going to get what you deserve.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kenney won't face a leadership review until April 8-9 2022. Unless the party tears itself apart before then.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I was thinking about holding out for J&J in fall 2020 because it is based on the 'dead virus' model we've used historically for vaccines, so it was a more proven tech that I trusted.

But when my time came I took AZ and then my 2nd was Moderna.

In other words, whatever was available because I'm not a total idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Another Bill posted:

I was thinking about holding out for J&J in fall 2020 because it is based on the 'dead virus' model we've used historically for vaccines, so it was a more proven tech that I trusted.

J&J is actually an Adenovirus vector vaccine like AZ. The inactivated virus ones are Sinopharm and Sinovac.