Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I was actually talking about this one-

Which was Mark Farmer inking over Jason Pearson.
I don't know, it was art that struck me as a kid and it still stands out to me- you can see a lot of the stylistic tics we associate with the 90s, but it feels like it has, I don't know, more restraint? Pearson is not a penciller I know much about outside of Uncanny Annual #17, but I still find the art in that issue really pleasing (though nostalgia-tinted, granted).

(I really like how Storm's cape looks like wings here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I remember kid me rather disliking the art for that annual. Old geezer me now looks at it with appreciation, however: clean lines, recognizable characters, and no attempt at doing a Marc Silvestri/Jim Lee impression.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There was a pretty prevalent clean-line contingent at the big two at that time and I feel like nobody really talks about them as being in conversation with one another. Everybody loves Mike Parobeck but he wasn't working in isolation.

And Vulpes, yeah, that one is gorgeous too. Jason Pearson is probably best known for his creator-owned Body Bags which I am very strongly not a fan of, as well as a bunch of Bierbaum/Giffen Legion issues, but he looks great with Mark Farmer who gives his lines some of that Alan Davis velvety quality that makes the domestic scenes with Rachel and Cable resonate. It's just really nice overall-- you can see in the layouts that Pearson has ambition but he's restrained enough here that the storytelling is still tight.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Well Inferno is turning into everything I ever wanted so that loving rules.

Though one quirk of Hickman's I don't love is the retelling of something we've already seen. The 3rd Life scene in this doesn't really add a lot to what was in HoXPoX. Maybe going back to that scene is just a reminder about it but I didn't get anything deeper than what we already knew. I also like Moira pointing out how badly Mags and Xavier keep loving up.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How Wonderful! posted:

There was a pretty prevalent clean-line contingent at the big two at that time and I feel like nobody really talks about them as being in conversation with one another. Everybody loves Mike Parobeck but he wasn't working in isolation.

There's a couple issues of Cable during Operation Zero Tolerance (45 and 46) where Randy Green does some really interesting clean-lined stuff that feels very proto-Humberto Ramos through Paul Smith. It's the best part of that story, in my opinion, and I had never heard of the dude before because I guess I didn't pay that much attention to Witchblade.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

danbanana posted:

There's a couple issues of Cable during Operation Zero Tolerance (45 and 46) where Randy Green does some really interesting clean-lined stuff that feels very proto-Humberto Ramos through Paul Smith. It's the best part of that story, in my opinion, and I had never heard of the dude before because I guess I didn't pay that much attention to Witchblade.

Oh yeah! The Operation: Zero Tolerance issue where he takes out all the henchmen in the dark? So loving good. I didn't even read Cable at the time but I remember flipping through that one at the grocery and thinking "I need this."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

danbanana posted:

Though one quirk of Hickman's I don't love is the retelling of something we've already seen. The 3rd Life scene in this doesn't really add a lot to what was in HoXPoX. Maybe going back to that scene is just a reminder about it but I didn't get anything deeper than what we already knew. I also like Moira pointing out how badly Mags and Xavier keep loving up.

It's been a long time since that issue of HoxPox

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How did they reconcile Bishop the attempted baby killer with him being back in the X-Men’s good graces?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Saoshyant posted:

I remember kid me rather disliking the art for that annual. Old geezer me now looks at it with appreciation, however: clean lines, recognizable characters, and no attempt at doing a Marc Silvestri/Jim Lee impression.

Same. I especially like that last panel.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Open Marriage Night posted:

How did they reconcile Bishop the attempted baby killer with him being back in the X-Men’s good graces?

Yeah honestly that's all I can see bishop as these days, and he was hardcore crazy about killing hope.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
psylocke altered bishop's mind when he got back to the present to make him less evil. but then the very next issue they went back on that because what the gently caress. so now i guess it's just one big shrug.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How Wonderful! posted:

Oh yeah! The Operation: Zero Tolerance issue where he takes out all the henchmen in the dark? So loving good. I didn't even read Cable at the time but I remember flipping through that one at the grocery and thinking "I need this."

Yeah. It loving rules!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How Wonderful! posted:

And Vulpes, yeah, that one is gorgeous too. Jason Pearson is probably best known for his creator-owned Body Bags which I am very strongly not a fan of, as well as a bunch of Bierbaum/Giffen Legion issues, but he looks great with Mark Farmer who gives his lines some of that Alan Davis velvety quality that makes the domestic scenes with Rachel and Cable resonate. It's just really nice overall-- you can see in the layouts that Pearson has ambition but he's restrained enough here that the storytelling is still tight.

While I'm also in the Body Bags camp not being super good at the same time I'm surprised Pearson isn't more of a big deal, but if he's happy then I'm happy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Isn’t Bishop one of the backup Five? That could get awkward.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Wow, I never made the connection from that annual to Body Bags. Wild.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
SWORD question: What was with Storm's vision of her fighting herself in the Arakko ring? Does Tarn have a Storm clone hidden away?

Inferno panel: YOU LITTLE poo poo

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Crackpot Inferno theory: Mystique's bluffing. "Destiny" is actually Emperor Ted, who found about Brand's schemes to keep him and Billy in the dark and probably got more than a few Kree and Skrulls killed in the process, and he's playing along for revenge purposes.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I can only assume that Hope already passed whatever theoretical point of demarcation made her the mutant antichrist in Bishop's timeline, so he probably mellowed out at that point

As for why they forgave Bishop, I mean, is there any mutant villain the X-Men haven't forgiven?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There were several years of comics that I either never read or only hazily remember where Bishop was being gaslit/possessed by some mysterious Future Figure, the Demon Bear, Stryfe, and the Shadow King in rapid sequence/possibly simultaneously. I think all of his bad actions were sort of hand-waved away by a series of "you thought you were doing the right thing and/or were possessed, happens to us all" hearts to hearts?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat inferno owned

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It kinda seems like Moira might actually be setting up the X-Men to fail? Like Xavier said, everything they've done has only advanced Nimrod's advancement. And she was looking at colleagues with her mutant cure page.

The excuse was that precognitive mutants would ruin everything because they would see a future in which the mutants lose. But why would they see that? Because maybe Moira is setting them up that way?

Also, Doug and Warlock and Krakoa all seem to be working together to fuse Krakoa with the transmode virus, which is what's causing Black Tom to have those weird dreams. So it seems like they actually have the plan of working with machines by having Krakoa become a hybrid mutant/machine.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Codependent Poster posted:

It kinda seems like Moira might actually be setting up the X-Men to fail? Like Xavier said, everything they've done has only advanced Nimrod's advancement. And she was looking at colleagues with her mutant cure page.

The excuse was that precognitive mutants would ruin everything because they would see a future in which the mutants lose. But why would they see that? Because maybe Moira is setting them up that way?

This is how I feel. When I read HoXPoX the "no precog" thing felt like a reason to not gently caress up this new future but after seeing that flashback scene, why would Moira want to prevent Destiny from coming back if Moira has mutants' best intentions in mind. Their whole conversation hinges on "if you try to take out mutants again I'll gently caress you up". Otherwise, why is Moira so afraid of Destiny?

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Moira's endgame is to replicate the mutant cure. I've been certain of that since HoXPoX. Once she's 100% sure she's in a timeline that's a keeper, she'll use it on herself and get it locked in. Destiny would likely not see a world where the mutant cure exists to be safe enough and would retaliate before the plan goes into motion.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Otherwise, why is Moira so afraid of Destiny?

oh the one hand i actually agree in general with the previous post, but yeah, can't imagine why moira would hold a grudge against the person who had her burned alive slowly, intentionally, so she would die in excruciating agony, so she wouldn't stray against the chosen path

site fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 30, 2021

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

oh the one hand i actually agree in general with the previous post, but yeah, can't imagine why moira would hold a grudge against the person who had her burned alive slowly, intentionally, so she would die in excruciating agony, so she wouldn't stay against the chosen path

It's possible that she holds a grudge against Destiny. But that doesn't explain why she doesn't want any other precogs like Blindfold. We also don't see how she treated Destiny in her other lives.

The change of dialogue is also curious. There's more to it and it's about choosing the right side. Moira has not done that in any of her lives, and she's never aligned with Nimrod before.

I think she's trying to lead them astray, while Doug, Warlock and Krakoa are moving in the right direction.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

site posted:

oh the one hand i actually agree in general with the previous post, but yeah, can't imagine why moira would hold a grudge against the person who had her burned alive slowly, intentionally, so she would die in excruciating agony, so she wouldn't stray against the chosen path

Anymore than having Adamantium claws run through your guts after hundreds of years in an induced apoca-coma?

But yeah being burned alive would probably suck the most

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

danbanana posted:

I think there's some value in returning to that scene in particular. Regardless of its possible importance to the rest of the series, it makes the point that Moira can learn from her deaths, and the X-Men can't. The idea that the X-Men can't stop Orchis because they don't remember how they died last time and therefore keep trying the same doomed strategies is a really clever one; the mutants have stopped evolving, and the machines never will. As good as resurrection has been to Krakoa it's really a gigantic flaw.

Also, re. the character reveal at the end, I'm predicting that it's Blindfold. Still a precog who can do enough precog stuff to fool people, but perhaps not as well-guarded as Destiny. And they could maybe get Destiny's DNA through Blindfold? I dunno how DNA works.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Codependent Poster posted:

The change of dialogue is also curious.
This part also threw me. I can't think of any reason for them to have not only replicated the Destiny encounter in full...but to have also changed a number of lines of their dialogue...

...Unless the two scenes occur in different lives.

Destiny said it herself: the best way for Moira to be sure of her theories is to test them in different lives.

So, something's going on with that.

Still, I'm not completely sold yet on the idea that Moira wants to hurt mutants while Destiny wants to save them. She's the one who told Mystique to burn Krakoa to the ground, after all.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Rochallor posted:

I think there's some value in returning to that scene in particular. Regardless of its possible importance to the rest of the series, it makes the point that Moira can learn from her deaths, and the X-Men can't. The idea that the X-Men can't stop Orchis because they don't remember how they died last time and therefore keep trying the same doomed strategies is a really clever one; the mutants have stopped evolving, and the machines never will. As good as resurrection has been to Krakoa it's really a gigantic flaw.

Also, re. the character reveal at the end, I'm predicting that it's Blindfold. Still a precog who can do enough precog stuff to fool people, but perhaps not as well-guarded as Destiny. And they could maybe get Destiny's DNA through Blindfold? I dunno how DNA works.

But at least for the HoXPoX mission to the Orchis station showed that Charles was watching everything in real-time through Jean. That has to count for something of seeing how they all died. Unless that mission was a one-off bit the attempted mission list shows they tried more than once...

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

But at least for the HoXPoX mission to the Orchis station showed that Charles was watching everything in real-time through Jean. That has to count for something of seeing how they all died. Unless that mission was a one-off bit the attempted mission list shows they tried more than once...

I forget the exact mechanism but The Chart established that the new installation has some kind of anti-psychic shields so presumably they can't do real-time communication anymore.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Rochallor posted:

I forget the exact mechanism but The Chart established that the new installation has some kind of anti-psychic shields so presumably they can't do real-time communication anymore.

They don't have any astral projectors or teleporters who can open little windows to watch everything that's going down ?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The connection on the initial mission was two ways and involved Jean on the other side. So unless she or someone as powerful as her is going on every mission I doubt that trick works well.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
The fact that I have about 10 different ideas about what is going on or what will happen says a lot about how good of a set up this is.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

This part also threw me. I can't think of any reason for them to have not only replicated the Destiny encounter in full...but to have also changed a number of lines of their dialogue...

...Unless the two scenes occur in different lives.

Destiny said it herself: the best way for Moira to be sure of her theories is to test them in different lives.

So, something's going on with that.

Still, I'm not completely sold yet on the idea that Moira wants to hurt mutants while Destiny wants to save them. She's the one who told Mystique to burn Krakoa to the ground, after all.

This is my running theory as well. It wasn't entirely out of place to rehash that specific story beat, given that 'don't bring back Destiny' is a huge point of the event. Makes sense to help fill in readers who might have missed it. But the specific changes are just enough to make me wonder. Here they are, for anyone who is curious.

The first shot of the scene is an almost exact redraw, same characters, same setting etc. Only in one she is holding the cure, the other she's got a glass of wine and is just talking about it. The dialogue is the same until moira speaks, where the line is essentially the same. Except in House of X she says 'You killed all my friends, everyone', whereas inferno has her just saying 'if you're going to kill me, then just kill me and get it over with.

Mystique doesn't say 'now listen closely'. Moira omits 'But I'm not trying to force it on anyone'. Destiny's talk about killing Moira changes to 'I will see you coming' rather than 'I will see my end coming', but that one makes sense given that Destiny is dead and it feels a bit weird to be bragging about how she sees her death coming.

When told that she can die, HoX Moira asks how that is possible, Inferno Moira asks 'how can I die'.

The big change is the very end of the scene. Originally when asked if she will change, Moira says she doesn't know. Destiny goes to kill her, and tells her that dying like this is what a life lived poorly gets you.

In inferno there is an entire extra page where, unlike the original, Moira talks back to Mystique, Destiny talks about how after many lives, Moira might very well start to wonder 'what if they were wrong and I was right'. Then in the end Destiny burns her to the line 'so she doesn't forget what failing to change feels like'

The scene is redrawn panel for panel, so I can't imagine the incidental dialogue changes are anything but intentional. The extra page might just be an addition in order to tie the themes (Moira hedging her bets, not being so on board with mutants as she let on) to the new story, but small changes like in a story about someone who can relive their lives really suggest to me that we're looking at a different scene that ends the same way.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Caros posted:

This is my running theory as well. It wasn't entirely out of place to rehash that specific story beat, given that 'don't bring back Destiny' is a huge point of the event. Makes sense to help fill in readers who might have missed it. But the specific changes are just enough to make me wonder. Here they are, for anyone who is curious.

The first shot of the scene is an almost exact redraw, same characters, same setting etc. Only in one she is holding the cure, the other she's got a glass of wine and is just talking about it. The dialogue is the same until moira speaks, where the line is essentially the same. Except in House of X she says 'You killed all my friends, everyone', whereas inferno has her just saying 'if you're going to kill me, then just kill me and get it over with.

Mystique doesn't say 'now listen closely'. Moira omits 'But I'm not trying to force it on anyone'. Destiny's talk about killing Moira changes to 'I will see you coming' rather than 'I will see my end coming', but that one makes sense given that Destiny is dead and it feels a bit weird to be bragging about how she sees her death coming.

When told that she can die, HoX Moira asks how that is possible, Inferno Moira asks 'how can I die'.

The big change is the very end of the scene. Originally when asked if she will change, Moira says she doesn't know. Destiny goes to kill her, and tells her that dying like this is what a life lived poorly gets you.

In inferno there is an entire extra page where, unlike the original, Moira talks back to Mystique, Destiny talks about how after many lives, Moira might very well start to wonder 'what if they were wrong and I was right'. Then in the end Destiny burns her to the line 'so she doesn't forget what failing to change feels like'

The scene is redrawn panel for panel, so I can't imagine the incidental dialogue changes are anything but intentional. The extra page might just be an addition in order to tie the themes (Moira hedging her bets, not being so on board with mutants as she let on) to the new story, but small changes like in a story about someone who can relive their lives really suggest to me that we're looking at a different scene that ends the same way.

The big problem with the Inferno-scene-is-a-different-Life is... Which one? We have an ending to all of them, right? And even if this is one where Moira survives Pyro's charring, it would mean that in one of the lives we've seen bits of, Moira starts off trying the cure again and then switches to being a Trask Hunter or joining up with Mags. The twist could be that this is actually Life X and Krakoa is XI? Or the Inferno scene shows life XI?

One thing that the rewrite does make a little more explicit- at least in my initial reading- was that Moira's limited lives are because Destiny/Mystique would stop her. That was maybe vaguely implied in HoXPoX but I think the "make good choices or else" language here is definitely more prominent. (I still don't understand how Destiny would act any differently in a universe where Moira tries to find a cure again; How would she know she's already "warned" Moira against it in a previous life?)

Also, Moira let Xavier into her mind to see all of her lives. He knows about Life 3 and unless she did something to block a specific life, he'd know if she tried to cure mutantdom twice, right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Isn't there one lifetime we still know nothing whatsoever? Like at the end of Powers of X there's a chart showing what happened at what stage on each of her lives and one is blacked out?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Skwirl posted:

Isn't there one lifetime we still know nothing whatsoever? Like at the end of Powers of X there's a chart showing what happened at what stage on each of her lives and one is blacked out?

No, I thought that too but it was due to a little fuckery with the life charts.

The life charts in HoX never listed life 6, leading a lot of people to assume that life 6 was either a secret life or the previous X-men continuity life, but it actually turned out to be a fakout and life six was the 1000 years later "Moira is in a techno-zoo" life.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Mameluke posted:

SWORD question: What was with Storm's vision of her fighting herself in the Arakko ring? Does Tarn have a Storm clone hidden away?

From context, that seemed to be the fight that won Storm a spot on the Arakki Great Ring. I'm assuming the duplicate "Yuu" was the mutant that held the position previously, and had some kind of shapeshifting mimicry power. That said, I haven't found any previous mentions of Yuu to confirm this.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

glitchwraith posted:

From context, that seemed to be the fight that won Storm a spot on the Arakki Great Ring. I'm assuming the duplicate "Yuu" was the mutant that held the position previously, and had some kind of shapeshifting mimicry power. That said, I haven't found any previous mentions of Yuu to confirm this.

The seat gets two votes because you have to kill not only the person sitting in it, you have to kill yourself to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
What a great issue of SWORD. Ewing is one of my favorite writers currently working for Marvel because of his ability to further a book by reaching into the character's pasts.