Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

Haven't tried it personally yet but in the Netherlands the response varies. Some businesses are strict and will actually check the code. Others will only look whether it looks right (there is an animation playing on the QR code app so you can't just present a screenshot). Still others don't bother.

There's a work function next week and one colleague has won't join because she either can't or won't provide a certificate (of either vaccination or negative test). It's kind of disappointing because she's a super nice person and now I'm afraid she's an anti vaxxer woo woman in the best case, or a turbo chud in the worst.

Those cyborgs are lying about the animation. Report them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Screama posted:

When I got my 2nd Pfizer last week the person asked me if I wanted to see the label on the needle I was being given. I said "Sure" basically just out of curiosity, but was the reason for this to placate people who might be suspicious of the vaccine? Or is it just to have a 2nd set of eyes to confirm you're getting the same brand as your first dose?
It seems kind of pointless because if you did think there was something suspicious going on, surely you'd realise they could just slap any label onto the needle - it's not like they'd let you do a personal analysis on the contents of the needle even if you had the knowledge or equipment to do so. As far as I'm aware they were only doing Pfizer at this location, so I don't think it was to prevent a mix-up happening. Anyway, for side effects I only had a mild headache which wasn't even bad enough to bother taking anything for, so I'm pretty happy.
Locally a lady claimed she was given the meningitis vaccine instead of a first covid dose. Maybe they were concerned by that or similar issues?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

When it’s said like this.... gently caress. So as long as covid is around it will just keep picking people off, even if they survive it the first time?

https://mobile.twitter.com/FalconryFinance/status/1443269804953980932

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Got shot #3 today.

As with the previous two, no symptoms to speak of - I barely even felt the pinch of the needle. Keeping your arm limp is the best strategy there. I don’t know if I’m an outlier but these vaccines have felt like a nothingburger with regards to how I’m affected afterwards and I don’t understand how some people are laid out completely for days when I’m feeling virtually nothing. Weird.

The place was nearly empty though so I have my doubts about how many people are going to take this one. Basically my little booth and I think one other were operating.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Ccs posted:

When it’s said like this.... gently caress. So as long as covid is around it will just keep picking people off, even if they survive it the first time?

What the gently caress is this "source"?

EDIT: Seriously, what the gently caress is this completely uncited "mild Covid leads to cumulative disability and death" ? How is this different than the masturbatory fantasies of the Covid deniers?

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 30, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The Modern Leper posted:

what more expertise would you want???

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ccs posted:

It's a worst case scenario based on no solid evidence. You already need to avoid covid for the actual, nonhypothetical reasons.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Modern Leper posted:

EDIT: Seriously, what the gently caress is this completely uncited "mild Covid leads to cumulative disability and death" ? How is this different than the masturbatory fantasies of the Covid deniers?

"UAE Exotic Falconry & Finance" is an anonymous twitter account which reposts CSPAM posts (including photos of their cute pets) and also rips off CSPAM t-shirt art and sells it via their own redbubble account

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ccs posted:

There should be rules against posts like this.

1: Who the gently caress is that?

2: How do they know any of that?

Now, maybe the person that tweeted it is a world class immunologist or some other kind of expert in covid-19 and that tweet is dead on the money. Or maybe it's just some random talking out of their rear end.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
If it came from CSPAM I'd be highly suspicious. Just like getting information in here without sources. Like that twitter post that isn't official and has no sources either.

edit: not saying any of this stuff isn't true, we've all heard stuff like this

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Everything I've read indicates that long term side effects are correlated with primary infection severity, which makes sense since almost dying will gently caress you up more than having a sniffle for a week.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Proficient Scoundrel posted:

I posted a little about this in the lol thread, but I'm just really upset and need to vent about COVID.

My wife and I got married in a small backyard wedding last summer with her nuclear family (my family lives on entirely different ends of the country). We've rescheduled our public ceremony 3 times during COVID in order to wait for when it seemed possible to safely have a large gathering of those we love in order to celebrate our union.

As vaccines have become more and more readily available and mandates are becoming the status quo, she and I decided this fall was time. It's been 2 years since we put a deposit down on our venue and we're loving tired of wedding planning. Our wedding is in 10 days. Our ceremony and reception are outdoors. We just sent out an email detailing how we will be addressing the pandemic and the steps that we're taking to ensure everyone's safety.

My wife wanted every guest to be vaccinated. My family is full of pigshit hick chuds who have suddenly become anti-vax after it became a chud policy plank. So she compromised with me and we asked that our guests be vaccinated OR TAKE AND PASS A COVID TEST WITHIN 72 HOURS OF ARRIVING. So far, both of my (divorced) parents are not coming and my uncle. They all backed out as soon as we made these requirements known.

It hurts a lot that I'm worth less than a COVID test to the people of my immediate family. I feel heartbroken.

My family is living on another goddamn planet if they think they're meeting my future children without being fully vaccinated.

If it helps, you're not the only one in this situation. There's been a lot of CSPAM goons reporting really similar experiences with their families, quite often with family members flat out lying about their vaxx status or hiding covid infections or holidays they'd taken to hotspots or lying about quarantining. Also a fair few going along to parties which they'd been told would be outdoors & distanced and weren't.

There's also been several CSPAM goons who attended other people's "covid safe" weddings which weren't covid safe at all (one had distancing for the most part but then bussed all the attendees to the reception site in crowded minibuses) and afterwards found out that a significant portion of the guests & family caught covid at the event.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Screama posted:

When I got my 2nd Pfizer last week the person asked me if I wanted to see the label on the needle I was being given. I said "Sure" basically just out of curiosity, but was the reason for this to placate people who might be suspicious of the vaccine? Or is it just to have a 2nd set of eyes to confirm you're getting the same brand as your first dose?
It seems kind of pointless because if you did think there was something suspicious going on, surely you'd realise they could just slap any label onto the needle - it's not like they'd let you do a personal analysis on the contents of the needle even if you had the knowledge or equipment to do so. As far as I'm aware they were only doing Pfizer at this location, so I don't think it was to prevent a mix-up happening. Anyway, for side effects I only had a mild headache which wasn't even bad enough to bother taking anything for, so I'm pretty happy.

In Australia during the initial vaccine rollout there was an abundance of AstraZeneca but nobody wanted to take it so there were a lot of Pfizer holdouts. This led to the conspiracy that people who booked Pfizer appointments were actually secretly given the AZ vaccine. It's so mind bogglingly dumb but so are most people it turns out.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Funky See Funky Do posted:

There should be rules against posts like this.

1: Who the gently caress is that?

2: How do they know any of that?

Now, maybe the person that tweeted it is a world class immunologist or some other kind of expert in covid-19 and that tweet is dead on the money. Or maybe it's just some random talking out of their rear end.

Immunologist Twitter is basically this but barely comprehensible to laymen

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My county in Kansas is giving it boosters to anyone that shows up. Your supposed to be:

"Age 18 years and older with one or more underlying conditions

▪ Age 18 years and older with increased risk for COVID-19 because of workplace or institutional setting “that puts them in contact with people within 6-feet for more than 10 minutes,” Health Director Adrienne Byrne said.

People with underlying conditions include those with serious or chronic health conditions and those who are overweight or obese, pregnant women and smokers, according to the CDC.

No proof of an underlying condition is necessary, Byrne said, but vaccine recipients must attest that they are eligible.

“We will not be asking for any proof of medical conditions or where someone works,” Byrne said."
https://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article254567137.html#:~:text=Age%2018%20years,works%2C%E2%80%9D%20Byrne%20said.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I'll be getting mine mid October with my physical and flu shot

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mild can still be bad. Remember that study of college athletes? Young, healthy guys in the prime of their life and months after infection 15% of them had signs of heart injury.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/ja...utm_term=091120

quote:

Of 26 competitive athletes, 4 (15%) had CMR findings suggestive of myocarditis and 8 additional athletes (30.8%) exhibited LGE without T2 elevation suggestive of prior myocardial injury. COVID-19–related myocardial injury in competitive athletes and sports participation remains unclear.

It's a worry if a cohort that should be among the very healthiest and lowest-risk Americans available has long term damage after covid. It was a small sample size so maybe it's just a coincidence or all those guys had some other factor in common. Maybe they were all snorting weasel dust to get through finals or something.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ccs posted:

Isn't this the guy that got into a pissing contest on twitter for stealing a CSPAM poster's shirt design?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

poll plane variant posted:

Maybe it is, but there's already so much information, misinformation, and disinformation that it would be nice if there were places that at least tried to cut down on the noise. Like if what Pennywise says is true that post isn't just some random person posting stuff they heard, it's some random person reposting stuff that other random people heard.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Maybe it is, but there's already so much information, misinformation, and disinformation that it would be nice if there were places that at least tried to cut down on the noise. Like if what Pennywise says is true that post isn't just some random person posting stuff they heard, it's some random person reposting stuff that other random people heard.

Oh yeah the falconry account is terrible and no one should listen to it for jokes even

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

kazil posted:

Isn't this the guy that got into a pissing contest on twitter for stealing a CSPAM poster's shirt design?

Yeah, they suck and please don't buy that shirt from them or follow imo, seems like a reliable asshat

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

poll plane variant posted:

Word. It's grim as gently caress.

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1437950483776385026

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1434563806940762115

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 30, 2021

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

DickParasite posted:

In Australia during the initial vaccine rollout there was an abundance of AstraZeneca but nobody wanted to take it so there were a lot of Pfizer holdouts. This led to the conspiracy that people who booked Pfizer appointments were actually secretly given the AZ vaccine. It's so mind bogglingly dumb but so are most people it turns out.

Even if this were true, there would be nothing to stop them just switching the labels, so even if you followed this line of thinking, I don't see how seeing the word "pfizer" printed on a piece of paper would put your mind at ease unless...you didn't think about it at all? :thunk:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Word. It's grim as gently caress.

There's always more and it's always grim as gently caress

https://twitter.com/BrundinPatrik/status/1306410355002937344
https://twitter.com/TrendsNeuro/status/1319332536095563776

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Meh, that's normal. You've been living with that kind of risk your entire life, even a boring cold has a chance of triggering horrible autoimmune diseases.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scarodactyl posted:

Meh, that's normal. You've been living with that kind of risk your entire life, even a boring cold has a chance of triggering horrible autoimmune diseases.

Try this one on for size:

quote:

Case report of restless anal syndrome as restless legs syndrome variant after COVID-19

Itaru Nakamura, Takao Itoi & Takeshi Inoue
BMC Infectious Diseases volume 21, Article number: 993 (2021)

Abstract

Background
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has a broad spectrum from respiratory and nasopharyngeal symptoms, cerebrovascular diseases, impaired consciousness, and skeletal muscle injury. Emerging evidence has indicated the neural spread of this novel coronavirus. Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a common neurological, sensorimotor disorder, but highly under diagnosis disorder. Restless anal syndrome as restless legs syndrome variant associated with COVID-19 has been previously not published. We report a case presenting with restless anal syndrome following COVID-19.
https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12879-021-06683-7

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Is that when you keep jamming things up your butt? Was the goatman patient 0?!?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Colonel Cancer posted:

Is that when you keep jamming things up your butt? Was the goatman patient 0?!?

No that was reckless anal syndrome

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The mortality pressure on people of reproductive age is pretty small, so I don't see how this works at all. Unless he just means "endemic COVID will continue to kill off older and high risk people", which... okay fine, but that's not a "selection pressure" in the adaptive sense because people will continue to become old/high risk at the same rate.

E: (this is probably a grimmer scenario than "humans will adapt!")

EE: Mortality isn't the only mechanism for selection pressure but I still don't see how endemic COVID will have a significant enough effect on reproduction and survivorship for any pressure, let alone pressure towards increased immunity.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 30, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think the idea is that it takes centuries.

You know, like the plague.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Stickman posted:

The mortality pressure on people of reproductive age is pretty small, so I don't see how this works at all. Unless he just means "endemic COVID will continue to kill off older and high risk people", which... okay fine, but that's not a "selection pressure" in the adaptive sense because people will continue to become old/high risk at the same rate.

His take is, we're going to keep catching this, and it's going to keep ravaging the bodies of those genetically most vulnerable to it. You might not die after your 3rd bout with covid, but it will age your organs and defenses and make you even weaker for round 4.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Scarodactyl posted:

Yeah, my mate's dad had a mild flu case that led to Guillain-Barre syndrome which left him paralysed for a year until he died of complications from a hospital-acquired infection. If SARS-CoV-2 is more likely to cause these kind of reactions we've unfortunately had more than enough cases for this to be showing up by now, surely?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If we're all just posting 'stuff we saw in articles that we're totally unqualified to filter' then Private Eye's regular health correspondent reports there is a lot of garbage, small-sample, non-randomised research being done at the moment because Covid is an express ticket to publication and/or online publicity.

I really don't think picking articles off medical twitter is an effective way to do your own research.

The effective way is that actually it can't be done. We aren't competent to assess what we're reading and nobody cares what we think in any event; the modern individual is surplus to economic and political requirements.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

His take is, we're going to keep catching this, and it's going to keep ravaging the bodies of those genetically most vulnerable to it. You might not die after your 3rd bout with covid, but it will age your organs and defenses and make you even weaker for round 4.

That makes sense, I guess we'll see what subsequent infections do. Thanks for the cool science experiment, Americathe Western world!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ccs posted:

I don't know, maybe don't take medical advice from UAE Exotic Falconry & Finance

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mods please create a world filter that replaces "shitpost" with "restless anal syndrome" tyia

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Mods please create a world filter that replaces "shitpost" with "restless anal syndrome" tyia

God, that is a gold star name. Well, at least a brown star.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, my mate's dad had a mild flu case that led to Guillain-Barre syndrome which left him paralysed for a year until he died of complications from a hospital-acquired infection. If SARS-CoV-2 is more likely to cause these kind of reactions we've unfortunately had more than enough cases for this to be showing up by now, surely?
The law of large numbers is in full effect here. Hundreds of millions of people have gotten covid worldwide at this point. If covid has a 1 in a million chance of causing a weird and terrible thing like early onset Parkinson's, we'll see hundreds of cases of that. Thousands if it's 1 in 100k chance, tens of thousands at 1 in 10k chance, etc.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yeah, if some genetically unlucky people can't stop getting it and they start getting infected at an early age (as today's young kids very well might), it's not a stretch to think that they can accumulate enough damage by the time they're at reproductive age for there to be at least some selective pressure.

Overall though, who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I don't know, maybe don't take medical advice from UAE Exotic Falconry & Finance

I assume this is a troll using deep-cover irony but who can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
It took 20 to 30 years for the parkinson's from the Spanish flu to show up in the population.