Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Thumposaurus posted:

Mad max dash needs switches with safety covers.

Because the wasteland marauders were so concerned with safety, heh.

Speaking of the breakdown of civilization, how likely is it that my baja design lights will be stolen? I don't think it will be a problem in my neighborhood, but I am curious if others have had bad experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That was not my idea, I just added info on ways to exfiltrate the cart :v:

If you use those toggle switches make sure they're mounted high enough that you won't learn what they feel like jammed between your femur and patella if you get in a wreck. It's scary how many people will mount pointy things like that on the lower dash panels/knee impact panels and not realize what they're signing up for.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Knee-impact alone is why I use Carling-style switches in my TJ despite their obviously inferior appearance and feel to some giant toggles. Three of them are aimed squarely at my right patella.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I'm not too concerned about wrecking my patella. I usually can't get it anyway because I'm allergic to shrimp. The toggle switches will be mounted on top of the speedometer housing. They're on the far side of the airbag, so it should be safe-ish.

Quick mock up of the bracket to hold the toggle switches. I need to go measure my dash carefully so I can replicate the curve of the dash on the bottom of the bracket. Also need to add a few more tabs to mount the two control relays and some connectors.

p.s. Hey xometry, why you don't stock galvanneal? I suppose I can spec it and see what they say. It'd be nice if their quoting engine could price it, though.

e: I should offset the center mounting tab, so the middle toggle doesn't obstruct that screw hole.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 29, 2021

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I had a US Land Cruiser with those stupid toggle switches but the covers switches them off or on whatever when closed who knows it was an electrical nightmare. But unless the point is the cover means off don’t

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Forgive me for missing it, but how will the handbrakes help?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Fiddler brakes for trail climbing.

Also, the thing where the speedometer is is called a Binnacle.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It has an open differential. When one starts to spin, pull that corresponding brake and it'll send torque to the other wheel. A very manual LSD. :v:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ryanrs posted:

I'm not too concerned about wrecking my patella. I usually can't get it anyway because I'm allergic to shrimp.

LOL.

I realize now that's about where I put my fuel tank selector switch, in front of my knee. I might check a little closer to see if it's a risk and swap for a flatter switch.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

It has an open differential. When one starts to spin, pull that corresponding brake and it'll send torque to the other wheel. A very manual LSD. :v:

Haha that's awesome, brilliant idea. Can't wait to see a video of it working!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

everdave posted:

I had a US Land Cruiser with those stupid toggle switches but the covers switches them off or on whatever when closed who knows it was an electrical nightmare. But unless the point is the cover means off don’t
That is the point. Or, I mean, part of the point - the cover keeps them from being flipped unintentionally, and also serves as an easy visual indicator, as well as deactivation.

Those switches are cool as hell.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Vetoing switch covers. These switches are for lights, not safety-critical functions. They should be easy to use.

While I'm adding stuff to the dash, a nice quality of life improvement would be a two-axis inclinometer to help level the van when setting up camp. This can be surprisingly difficult to do in the dark on a bumpy surface. I do not care about measuring +/- 30 degree grades. This device would need to accurately measure in the 0-3 degree range.

Maybe a tachometer, too.

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ryanrs posted:

Vetoing switch covers. These switches are for lights, not safety-critical functions. They should be easy to use.

While I'm adding stuff to the dash, a nice quality of life improvement would be a two-axis inclinometer to help level the van when setting up camp. This can be surprisingly difficult to do in the dark on a bumpy surface. I do not care about measuring +/- 30 degree grades. This device would need to accurately measure in the 0-3 degree range.

Maybe a tachometer, too.

i just put one of these on the floor

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Is it good enough to get it level for sleeping?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

pnac attack posted:

i just put one of these on the floor

I can't get the circles to line up no matter how much I tilt my screen. :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

According to McMaster, the cheapest one of these has a sensitivity of 0.157" / 1ft, which, if my high school trig serves me well, is about 2/3 of a degree out from level. I'm not sure if that means getting the bubble within the circle is 2/3 of a degree out from level or what, but I bet that you'll affect "level" more by climbing around in the van.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 29, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

OK, well that's good enough to level the van. I should probably just get a bubble level like that.

OTOH, I just grabbed this on ebay. I was thinking of driving it with a microcontroller + accelerometer. One toggle switch to select pitch / roll, and a second for x1 / x0.1 degree gain. So you get +/-25 deg for driving, and +/-2.5 deg for leveling. Or maybe +/-5 deg for leveling, it doesn't much matter what the numbers on the meter read since you are going for null.

Another possibility for that meter: tap the front ABS sensors and show relative wheel speeds. Meter swings toward the wheel that's slipping.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Definitely the latter. The former involves firmware for no reason and as such the project will progress until it's time to write firmware which is not fun so it will be abandoned*, like you were saying two days ago. The latter can be done in all hardware if you really want, and is cool as hell so worth doing firmware for.

* Let's not talk about how many of my projects are currently at this point, it's an uncomfortable discussion ok?

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 29, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Have no fear, all this analog meter stuff is just to see if I should reserve some space in the dash for the meters and some extra switches. That way the firmware doesn't slow down the project, because right now "the project" is just getting the light switches working. Later on, I'll build the microcontroller part when I'm fed up with staring at the non-functioning gauges.

And as long as we're contemplating loving with the ABS, I would like a switch to disable it. The ABS fuse is a 60A monster, so I guess I'd need a big relay for my remote ABS kill, although there are probably better ways to do it.

I particular, I'd sure like to disable it selectively under 15 mph. The ABS system really only misbehaves when descending rocky trails where the tires are slipping on gravel or scree. Classic scenario is descending a steep switchback, the ABS will kick in as the front tires slide around at 3 mph. The ABS just kinda gives up on the brakes and lets the wheels roll a little. That's super dumb at these speeds.

Fortunately, the ABS module is surprisingly basic, so I think I can trick it pretty easily. My base model Sienna does not have the VSC / traction control stuff that came in the higher trim models.

ABS inputs:
- speed sensors in each wheel
- brake pedal switch
- transmission Park switch
- transmission Neutral switch

ABS outputs:
- some dash lights
- speedometer
- solenoid valves are internal

I think the ABS module would chill out if I made a circuit that disconnect the brake switch input when moving under, say, 10 mph. This won't affect the brake lights, which are not controlled by the ABS ECU. My switch would select between 'stock ABS behavior' or 'no ABS at slow speeds'. I'm not super into the idea of disabling ABS entirely. I'm also not excited to pull fuses every time I hit dirt, though I guess I could make it part of my air up/down ritual.

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ryanrs posted:

Is it good enough to get it level for sleeping?

that's what i used it for :cheers:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

ryanrs posted:

Have no fear, all this analog meter stuff is just to see if I should reserve some space in the dash for the meters and some extra switches. That way the firmware doesn't slow down the project, because right now "the project" is just getting the light switches working. Later on, I'll build the microcontroller part when I'm fed up with staring at the non-functioning gauges.

And as long as we're contemplating loving with the ABS, I would like a switch to disable it. The ABS fuse is a 60A monster, so I guess I'd need a big relay for my remote ABS kill, although there are probably better ways to do it.

I particular, I'd sure like to disable it selectively under 15 mph. The ABS system really only misbehaves when descending rocky trails where the tires are slipping on gravel or scree. Classic scenario is descending a steep switchback, the ABS will kick in as the front tires slide around at 3 mph. The ABS just kinda gives up on the brakes and lets the wheels roll a little. That's super dumb at these speeds.

Fortunately, the ABS module is surprisingly basic, so I think I can trick it pretty easily. My base model Sienna does not have the VSC / traction control stuff that came in the higher trim models.

ABS inputs:
- speed sensors in each wheel
- brake pedal switch
- transmission Park switch
- transmission Neutral switch

ABS outputs:
- some dash lights
- speedometer
- solenoid valves are internal

I think the ABS module would chill out if I made a circuit that disconnect the brake switch input when moving under, say, 10 mph. This won't affect the brake lights, which are not controlled by the ABS ECU. My switch would select between 'stock ABS behavior' or 'no ABS at slow speeds'. I'm not super into the idea of disabling ABS entirely. I'm also not excited to pull fuses every time I hit dirt, though I guess I could make it part of my air up/down ritual.

Generally, if the ABS controller doesn't see one of the sensor inputs, it disables ABS. An old Subaru trick is to wire a switch inline with one of the sensors and toggle it when off-road.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Hmm, and the sensor fault would light up the ABS warning light on the dash, which seems like a feature. This is a good idea!

Dunno if the ABS system will like being toggled every time the vehicle speed dropped below 10 mph, so it would probably be a real switch, not a speed-based thing. And I guess you probably have to restart the engine to get the ABS to start working again, right? Or does it come back as soon as you flip the switch back on?

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 29, 2021

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

ryanrs posted:

Hmm, and the sensor fault would light up the ABS warning light on the dash, which seems like a feature. This is a good idea!

Dunno if the ABS system will like being toggled every time the vehicle speed dropped below 10 mph, so it would probably be a real switch, not a speed-based thing. And I guess you probably have to restart the engine to get the ABS to start working again, right? Or does it come back as soon as you flip the switch back on?

IDK about Toyotas but it worked fine just turning the switch off on the fly when done.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

That's what I was wondering too and was about to post. I would definitely try just unplugging a sensor (drive if necessary to trip the light) and reconnect and test it before doing any wiring.

I would recommend making sure the abs does work even if the light goes out. Its probably good but computer programs can be touchy.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Oh, wait a sec. I remember I broke an ABS sensor wire once. It totally kills the speedo. So I guess that's out.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Oh man, I feel guilty before I even suggest this, but since it's for off-road anyway ... maybe kill the brake pedal switch?

Bonus credit for resetting it at power-off (or above a certain speed) and for routing it via separate wires to the brake lights.

I think it'd work. I mean, I'm not 100% sure, but if it's non-TC, it shouldn't trigger ABS without detecting the pedal pressed.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Oh man, I feel guilty before I even suggest this, but since it's for off-road anyway ... maybe kill the brake pedal switch?

This would be a good excuse for one of those switches with the red covers.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

You can cut the brake signal to the ABS ECU without losing your brake lights.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ryanrs posted:

Oh, wait a sec. I remember I broke an ABS sensor wire once. It totally kills the speedo. So I guess that's out.

I'd you're only killing the ABS during hairy descents or other low speed offroad tomfoolery do you really need the speedo at that time?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speedo no, but navigating by odometer-based distance is a good thing to keep working in the event any GPS-based solution fails.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Aren't the speedo and the odometer typically separate things? I'd be surprised if the Sienna was designed such that an ABS fault would let the odometer be wrong.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
That depends on the car I suppose. I had a t-bird with a flaky speedo and if it wasn't registering the odometer wasn't either.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Aren't the speedo and the odometer typically separate things? I'd be surprised if the Sienna was designed such that an ABS fault would let the odometer be wrong.

I don't think there's another source for wheel pulses. The cruise control also gets its speed info from the ABS ECU. I don't see any pulse output from the transmission, for example.

The 1st generation, base model Sienna is not a complicated car. Take the brake lights: No ECU controls them. They aren't even on a relay. Toyota just runs the full lamp current runs through the pedal switch.

I'm 95% sure that if I put a switch in the brake signal going to the ABS ECU, it'll go idle and ignore the wheel signals altogether. But I don't want to cut up my ABS wiring harness to test this theory right before the van has to drive to the fabrication shop. I will, however, reserve a dash switch for this function.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

ryanrs posted:

I don't think there's another source for wheel pulses. The cruise control also gets its speed info from the ABS ECU. I don't see any pulse output from the transmission, for example.

The 1st generation, base model Sienna is not a complicated car. Take the brake lights: No ECU controls them. They aren't even on a relay. Toyota just runs the full lamp current runs through the pedal switch.

I'm 95% sure that if I put a switch in the brake signal going to the ABS ECU, it'll go idle and ignore the wheel signals altogether. But I don't want to cut up my ABS wiring harness to test this theory right before the van has to drive to the fabrication shop. I will, however, reserve a dash switch for this function.

Apparently there IS a trans speed sensor under the battery and air box:

Despite the accent, I'm pretty sure this guy is in the US and the Sienna in the video is a USDM one (Sensor location in the video is around 3:20):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veu-noYIOCo&t=200s

E: poo poo, maybe not, the earlier ones (99-00, I can't remember the MY of yours) apparently have a blanking plug for the speed sensor port, as described in post #4 in this thread. I probably should have kept reading before posting. :shrug:

glyph fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 30, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

OK! I just dug through 3 months of old mail to find my new DMV tags.

Monday morning I drive out to Sacramento to drop the SIenna off at the fabrication shop. I will include a dozen doughnuts, a case of red bull, and a flat of Mexican coke.

The bumper will be made from steel tubing, with some kind of grille made of cnc plasma-cut aluminum. They will send pics to me for feedback as they build. It'll take a week or so.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ryanrs posted:

OK! I just dug through 3 months of old mail to find my new DMV tags.

Monday morning I drive out to Sacramento to drop the SIenna off at the fabrication shop. I will include a dozen doughnuts, a case of red bull, and a flat of Mexican coke.

The bumper will be made from steel tubing, with some kind of grille made of cnc plasma-cut aluminum. They will send pics to me for feedback as they build. It'll take a week or so.

I say two dozen donuts to be on the safe side. Keep them up longer before they crash.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Masseuse scheduled to hang out in the garage at the ready

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ryanrs posted:

I will include a dozen doughnuts, a case of red bull, and a flat of Mexican coke.

Holy sugar rush Batman!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Holy sugar rush Batman!

I dunno what passes for non-perishable treats in this situation. Maybe I should have sent fresh fruit and a box of la croix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

taqueso posted:

Masseuse scheduled to hang out in the garage at the ready

If the techs want to get oiled up they can work on my leaking steering rack.