Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah teeth didn't evolve to chomp on this pizza I have here, but they sure come in handy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

p sure the baron was responding to the "plays are dumb" comment, not disputing the concept of defense mechanisms

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Plants "want" their fruit to be eaten. Not certain why the fruit only getting eaten by birds and not mammals would be beneficial. Maybe mammals would eat the plant as well?

(Plants do not think; what the beneficial evolution is here from a reproductive standpoint, I don't know.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cobalt-60 posted:

Plants "want" their fruit to be eaten. Not certain why the fruit only getting eaten by birds and not mammals would be beneficial. Maybe mammals would eat the plant as well?

(Plants do not think; what the beneficial evolution is here from a reproductive standpoint, I don't know.)

Birds are more likely to poo poo the seeds out a long way away, unless they're flightless birds. Surtsey has plants.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cobalt-60 posted:

Plant eating mammals tend to have molars that'll crush seeds, and a crushed seed is useless. Lots of birds, though, will eat seeds whole while they're eating the pulp of the fruit and then they'll poo poo out viable seeds out somewhere else.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
^^^ hello fellow plant grower

Cobalt-60 posted:

If a bird eats a seed it then shits a viable seed far away.

If a mammal eats a seed it probably chews up the seed and digests it fully and shits out a nonviable cellulose seed carcass.

So most fruit seeds are adapted to being dangerous to mammals (capsaicin, hallucinogens, poison) but are not harmful to birds or reptiles.

Then there's megaflora like avocados that evolved explicitly to be eaten by megafauna like giant sloths, which died out, so now we have to replicate the act of their giant seeds being digested by huge mammals by removing skins and soaking them in nutrient water before planting them in rich soil to simulate being poo poo out.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Birds also poo poo literally constantly, while mammals may have hours between shits where the seed might sit in their digestive tract. Birds need to be light as possible and will dump their loads.

Birds are also weird about their food in that for some reason they tend to eat part of it and then fling the rest of it all over the god drat place. People who own parrots know this - if you give them a seed ball they'll break off part of it and chuck the rest on the floor, and they will not take it back, but will happily accept a fresh one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

Then there's megaflora like avocados that evolved explicitly to be eaten by megafauna like giant sloths, which died out, so now we have to replicate the act of their giant seeds being digested by huge mammals by removing skins and soaking them in nutrient water before planting them in rich soil to simulate being poo poo out.
mentally picturing the circumference of an avocado seed and :gonk:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

My Lovely Horse posted:

They were big bois!

(is my imgur thingy not working?)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

My Lovely Horse posted:

Wild avocados can have small seeds.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Platystemon posted:

Wild avocados can have small seeds.

Don't post small avocado.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Paladinus posted:

Just stick to the rhubarbs and the grapes that you're used to.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

We know that you're gonna have it on toast or guacamole.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
It's great for breakfast

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Sir Lemming posted:

I don't want no shrub

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Paladinus posted:

Ugh another loving gatekeeping Hasshole.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Martman posted:

jeffrey checking in on cspam

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
lol that's pretty good

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

CoolCab posted:

we must imagine sisyphus happy, so we added achievements

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That post got a genuine guffaw out of me

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Khizan posted:

Plant eating mammals tend to have molars that'll crush seeds, and a crushed seed is useless. Lots of birds, though, will eat seeds whole while they're eating the pulp of the fruit and then they'll poo poo out viable seeds out somewhere else.

this occasionally extends to birds making GBS threads out viable fish eggs too, a piece of information which has solved a few long-standing ecological questions.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Having a fruit that's got hundreds of seeds so that a few don't get crushed by molars is a pro their strat.

Corn is a good if ultimately ineffective example.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lmao

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Outrail posted:

Having a fruit that's got hundreds of seeds so that a few don't get crushed by molars is a pro their strat.

Corn is a good if ultimately ineffective example.

Wasn't pre-human intervention corn basically just wheat?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Baron von Eevl posted:

Not exactly. Wheat and corn are both grasses, but they're in different genuses and the history of corn domestication is pretty tangled.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think so, though it was extensively cultivated into its current form. However, "corn" is a somewhat outdated word which means "wheat or other cereal grains," while what we call corn was originally called "maize." It is itself a type of cereal grain, though, so it looks like the meaning shrunk to just mean maize.

e: for example the British Corn Laws of 1815 and 1846 concerned food imports generally, especially grains, not primarily what we now call corn.

Hodgepodge has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Sep 30, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hodgepodge posted:

I don't think so, though it was extensively cultivated into its current form. However, "corn" is a somewhat outdated word which means "wheat or other cereal grains," while what we call corn was originally called "maize." It is itself a type of cereal grain, though, so it looks like the meaning shrunk to just mean maize.

I looked it up, and maize gets harvested to become corn

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

RFC2324 posted:

I looked it up, and maize gets harvested to become corn

Ah, didn't know that distinction. Looks like the original term is now a technical term for the plant, I guess?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I love how absolutely any topic can be mentioned on these forums, and within a few minutes, calm authoritative goons will emerge to provide a helpful summary.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hodgepodge posted:

Ah, didn't know that distinction. Looks like the original term is now a technical term for the plant, I guess?

http://www.differencebetween.net/object/comparisons-of-food-items/difference-between-corn-and-maize/

apparently, wheat is referred to as corn in britain? :psyduck:

that seems like something that I would have encountered before

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

I love how absolutely any topic can be mentioned on these forums, and within a few minutes, calm authoritative goons will emerge to provide a helpful summary.

Doesn't work for butter knives.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

RFC2324 posted:

http://www.differencebetween.net/object/comparisons-of-food-items/difference-between-corn-and-maize/

Yeah, 'corn' just means 'grain.' (Basically.)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Not even 'grain as in grass seeds' , hence 'corned' beef with grains of salt.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Doesn't work for butter knives.

Could you link that I'd forgotten that saga

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RFC2324 posted:

The colonials hosed this up.

They called the stuff “Indian corn”, and, well, since all the Old World corns (wheat, barley, rye, oats) had specific, familiar names, “Indian corn” became just “corn”.

Something sort of similar is going on today with “cereal”, which in its unqualified form often conveys breakfast cereal.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tree Bucket posted:

My favorite instance of this phenomenon happened in The Football Funhouse during a GameDay thread. This commercial aired during one of the games and the thread was laughing about the delivery of "It's syrup."
https://youtu.be/QAdaD8RaC-4
Not too long later someone came into the thread and said "I'm a beekeeper and my brother is on the Honey Board." And for one afternoon the place to learn about bees and honey was the 1pm GameDay thread.

sebmojo posted:

Could you link that I'd forgotten that saga
Yes, please. I'm unfamiliar with the butter knives saga.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Iirc: someone was like "what's this knife?", and some goon materialised and started laying down extremely deep science about fuckin butter knives, and everyone was like haha I love this forum!, then another goon swung in and just eviscerated the first goon and said they were butter knife neophytes and it was on like donkey kong

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Who has a copy of that conversation between two SCUBA guys where one shows up and starts calling the first ridiculous diver terms like dry legs or tank tapper or some weirdly esoteric diving poo poo?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

FishMcCool posted:

I'll chime in to add that the Farming Simulator e-sports league is bloody awesome. I saw a youtube video which explained how the competitive scene grew out of mods to the game, and how it got picked up, streamlined, and made into a league sponsored by the various farming equipment companies. That was good timing as they were playing the last rounds of that league at the weekend, and I keep an eye on it since. It's insanely funny, well-balanced, and full of both skill and strategy. I highly recommend it as a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tree Bucket posted:

Which is wrong about 60% of the time, but still - it's nice to have.